Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah it took me like 7 hours just to beat a boss in Bloodborne and I was coming in with a lot of experience with the series. Although that may have hurt more than helped because I had to unlearn a lot of Souls specific habits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
true, the start was extra rough because I kept on trying to take a few shots and quickly roll away from enemies

oh I was so innocent back then

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I like when games have an easy mode, it's cool

I don't care if it makes the experience "a completely different experience", I would have nothing to compare it to. that's one of those "i know it's just an option BUT I HATE IT" arguments. but dark souls is branded as "this is the game that is hard" whether it's actually true or not so it would be weird even for marketing for it to have an easy mode

although the 3D ninja gaidens were like that back in the day, and they did have an easy mode that made fun of you

but seriously if a shooter has an easy difficulty i'm going to take it because i'm loving tired of "hard" in most games meaning enemies are bullet sponges and no other difference. i am fine with the game skewing the numbers in my favor

it's not exactly the same but i think about how some people go "it's not TRUE Fallout unless it's ultra survival hardcore with permadeath and hunger and tiredness and sleep apnea and blood sugar monitoring" and i'm just like "nah i like to read the computer terminals, pew pew"

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 30, 2016

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
it seems a lot simpler to just play games that cater to those expectations/wants but that's just like my opinion. Also fallout is a bad example because the gameplay is poor and added difficulty just emphasizes this, as would simply adding health and damage to enemies in soulsborne for an extra hard "challenge mode" Witcher 3 is a good example of this, where death march just makes the battles longer and more tedious without adding anything

I've more or less outlined why I believe this to be the case though so feel free to move away from Souls chat, thread.

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 30, 2016

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

KingSlime posted:

did you really beat it in 15 hours, fresh and blind??

jesus gently caress y'all must have been some genius children or something, I'm not the fastest soul player but cmon son

E: adjustable difficulty is cool and good in games with lovely mechanics or boring gameplay

I went back through my tweets to when the game came out because I had this exact conversation with someone and it was almost 17 hours (I did miss an area or two though and didn't fight the moon boss or do the chalice dungeon stuff)

Bloodborne's playstyle was close to how I played the souls games though which probably helped

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Okay, bringing back my two cents: I like to play games for their stories and settings. Dark Souls 1 has a beautifully crafted world with lots of detail-oriented storytelling built into it - chests aren't thrown around willynilly, and you can get a sense of history and place just from poking around Firelink, let alone areas deeper in the game.

I want to experience that - I love reading item descriptions and visiting new places and taking screenshots - but to get that, I'd have to break out a cheat engine and remove an entire element of the game because I'm literally bad at it. (and using a kb+m but that's not the point here)

I don't see what's wrong about wanting to experience a game even if I'm a bad gamer.

I do find it fascinating that I tend to value stories games tell more when they're locked inside of a bad or difficult game - Shin Megami Tensei's stories come to mind, along with their tedious grinding and mazes and old-school design. The difference between SMT and Dark Souls here is that in SMT I could just brute-force the game through grinding and learning the spell system, whereas with Dark Souls I will hit brick walls of difficult and literally be unable to continue without using outside-the-game help like a cheat engine or skilled brother.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Souls games take a shitload less time when you're not trying to genocide everything on the map. My first DS2 character took about 90 hours to hit NG+ and I haven't beaten all the DLC. The second one's nearly done with everything and at a pretty close soul level (183 to 150, been doing co-op so I have the no soul gain ring on) at about 28 hours. The big difference is my second dude isn't really trying to kill everything and get every item, just go from boss to boss and finish the drat game.

I can totally see them being 20-30 hour games the first time through if your main focus is just getting to the ending, which is totally doable if you're good enough at the combat. If you like exploring every single nook and cranny you're gonna spend a lot more time doing that.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

I don't see what's wrong about wanting to experience a game even if I'm a bad gamer.

Summons are your friend

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Huh you guys are still talking about Souls games.

Anyway,

https://twitter.com/tweeterisawful/status/814638293459550208

"You're welcome, games industry"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

If only cheat codes were still a thing.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I know it's mostly prerendered but Baten Kaitos is still super pretty. The gingerbread village :3:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Looper posted:

I know it's mostly prerendered but Baten Kaitos is still super pretty. The gingerbread village :3:

Yeah even though some of it doesn't quite come across due to the 3D limitations of the time, the art direction in the game is aces.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
too bad the battles are so slow, I kinda wanna replay it but then I remember than I haven't beat a turn based rpg in over a decade :/

E: yes that shamefully includes the renowned and incredible PS2 title, Dragon Quest VIII, which is literally a manifestation of the ideal game that I wished for as a child

One day, guv...one day

Double Edit: I loving lied, thread, I actually beat Persona 3 and 4 Golden a few years ago!

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Dec 30, 2016

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

KingSlime posted:

it seems a lot simpler to just play games that cater to those expectations/wants but that's just like my opinion.
well yeah, that's why I don't play souls games. to be fair that's also why i don't poo poo on them unprompted unless I'm trying to troll

i stick to what i have in my backlog which is still a lot. my steam library in full is now over 1000 games finally although the actual games to beat is under 300

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

i stick to what i have in my backlog which is still a lot. my steam library in full is now over 1000 games finally although the actual games to beat is under 300

Yeah man my backlog is insanely huge, and that's without accounting for the 2016 releases I want to play (Hyper Light Drifter comes to mind, n I gotta beat Witcher 3 sigh).

But then I play Dark Souls (2 or 3 these days), I'm thinking of sending my brain in for an RMA because I've beat them all multiple times and yet I go back.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Okay, on a less Souls-y note:

Jesus christ why do some of the goons I've friended on Steam have more than 200+ hours logged in Civ 5? :stare:

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
It's a fun game.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

StrixNebulosa posted:

Okay, on a less Souls-y note:

Jesus christ why do some of the goons I've friended on Steam have more than 200+ hours logged in Civ 5? :stare:

Just one more turn

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Why would that be shocking?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Why would that be shocking?

I'm used to seeing like a 100+, not higher than that!

(Also I've never played a Civ game before so...)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

StrixNebulosa posted:

(Also I've never played a Civ game before so...)
You should try one then, they're great.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

KingSlime posted:

too bad the battles are so slow, I kinda wanna replay it but then I remember than I haven't beat a turn based rpg in over a decade :/

E: yes that shamefully includes the renowned and incredible PS2 title, Dragon Quest VIII, which is literally a manifestation of the ideal game that I wished for as a child

One day, guv...one day

Double Edit: I loving lied, thread, I actually beat Persona 3 and 4 Golden a few years ago!

Friend did you know DQ8 was coming out for the 3ds with improved QoL features such as fast forwarded combat in less than a month!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

You should try one then, they're great.

Going through the tutorial in Civ 5 now! (gotta find out if I even like the game before the sale ends so I can grab expansion packs if I fall in love with it)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

StrixNebulosa posted:

Going through the tutorial in Civ 5 now! (gotta find out if I even like the game before the sale ends so I can grab expansion packs if I fall in love with it)

Vanilla Civ 5 is not so great, the expacs make it much better.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Zaggitz posted:

Friend did you know DQ8 was coming out for the 3ds with improved QoL features such as fast forwarded combat in less than a month!

I did! But I no longer have a 3DS...ah well, I plan on running it on an emu and prettying it up with higher res along the process. I heard that an annoying bug where the text got pixel-ly was fixed and that is very exciting.

But I might still snag a cheap one to tap into the DQVII remake as well (admittedly less excited about that one)

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

DQ7 3ds is good but by the original game's nature is super exhausting and slow. I'm having to take a break 75 hours in because I just need to play something a bit more varied.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

That's nothin. Do any of them have 200+ hours in Civ 6?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I have 385 hours played in Civ V. I have 195 hours in Civ IV, but that only counts from the time I got Beyond the Sword, so I probably have about 400 hours in that, too.

I have 70 hours in Civ VI, this holiday away from my PC is dragging my numbers down

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I have 2k+ hours in Dota 2 if we're talking about wasting our lives playing video games.

Re: difficulty chat, i like variable difficulty because everyone has different skills. And also because most AAA devs dont know how to balance higher difficulties.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Nasgate posted:

I have 2k+ hours in Dota 2 if we're talking about wasting our lives playing video games.

Re: difficulty chat, i like variable difficulty because everyone has different skills. And also because most AAA devs dont know how to balance higher difficulties.

tbf i have like 2-3k matches in dota2, but it's still not even close to this. what the gently caress is there even left to do after 3k hours in gta?

Klaus Kinski fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 30, 2016

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Zaggitz posted:

DQ7 3ds is good but by the original game's nature is super exhausting and slow. I'm having to take a break 75 hours in because I just need to play something a bit more varied.

That's what I hear, and the average DQ game is a slow burn as it is so it's def off-putting

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The Mario Maker thread is mostly dead, so I'm going to let you all know I just played a powerful level.

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/7FA5-0000-02BD-1660

They used bullet bills to restrict the screen to be tiny sized and called it Gameboy Mario and it owns.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I bought the Thief game from a few years ago that everyone apparently hated, and I have to say I'm really liking it. The story's pretty garbage and I'm not a fan of Geralt's Ubisoft Protagonist look, but the sneaking feels good and there's plenty of loot for some instant gratification. Apparently people didn't like that there was an animation for all looting including pickpocketing, but I think it adds a level of satisfaction and a touch of danger when doing it in front of an enemy.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-Hec3BJBSo

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

nachos posted:

I spent 30 minutes getting the doing things the hard way trinket and it literally made me a better person

I just did this two days ago. I'm glad I saw it through but it was not super fun. The rest of the game was though. I can see now why people put it up there with other indie puzzle platformers like Braid, Fez, and Limbo. One of these days I'll have to get to Thomas Was Alone.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Playing games the way you want is cool and good, and there being options for those who are not good at video games is also cool and good, and complaining about these options existing at all or people wanting them in more games when it literally does not affect your personal enjoyment of the game in any way since you can pick harder options is very uncool and notgood

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I think the only real problem with Dark souls having an easy mode would be, funnily enough, their reputation as really difficult games, which would push people to play it on easy to begin with. A ton of people would play the game on easy while being perfectly capable of beating it normally and probably end up having a worse experience as a result.

That said, it doesn't really affect me and wouldn't be a big deal either way.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
There's some truth to that. For example, DA:I is a pretty fun game if you play it on the hardest modes because it forces you to engage with all the game's systems. Yet I constantly read complaints that it's "hold button to win" which is only true on normal or easy. Now, in the case of a heavy story/cyoa game like DAI, I think a "story" difficulty is fine but I think the game would have been better served by ditching their tuned normal difficulty, and renamed story/hard/nightmare to story/normal/hard.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bloodychill posted:

There's some truth to that. For example, DA:I is a pretty fun game if you play it on the hardest modes because it forces you to engage with all the game's systems. Yet I constantly read complaints that it's "hold button to win" which is only true on normal or easy. Now, in the case of a heavy story/cyoa game like DAI, I think a "story" difficulty is fine but I think the game would have been better served by ditching their tuned normal difficulty, and renamed story/hard/nightmare to story/normal/hard.

Bioware is a bad developer. Bethesda tier bankruptcy of ideas and recycling of gameplay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

They make good fun games that people like.

• Locked thread