Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

C. Everett Koop posted:

I'd imagine whoever gets the rights will have a heavy say, since UFC's getting rid of their in-house media. Gotta figure Rogan's out the door sooner than later as well.

Rogan only has to do North American PPV events now, so I'd imagine he'll stick around as long as that's the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I cannot imagine anyone anywhere having a strong opinion about Mike Goldberg one way or the other, he's like as "generic sportscaster" as it gets. If he hadn't gotten a foot in the door right before UFC exploded into a mainstream thing I feel like he'd be doing midweek Conference USA games for espn or something and no one would ever be able to remember his name

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
I only started watching UFC a couple of years ago. And Goldberg just sounds like UFC to me. When he's not at the desk it just isn't the same.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
If Mike Goldberg called Frazier/Foreman he would've yelled "OH HE IS HURT" and "IT IS ALL OVER" in a loud-but-weirdly-robotic voice and "Down Goes Frazier" would've never existed.

You could replace him with a video game announcer and probably wouldn't tell the difference.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Benne posted:

If Mike Goldberg called Frazier/Foreman he would've yelled "OH HE IS HURT" and "IT IS ALL OVER" in a loud-but-weirdly-robotic voice and "Down Goes Frazier" would've never existed.

You could replace him with a video game announcer and probably wouldn't tell the difference.

Yeah this is the thing. Goldberg can sound excited but everything he says is just painfully bland.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
i really like mike and am sad to see him go. he's kind of like bob cole in that he's really good at calling big moments but he's not the best day to day or when it's not great.

still though he's better than anyone else who does MMA and much better than other guys in other sports in similar roles like nantz and buck.

i really hope it's not jin loving rome replacing him though

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

I know we used to have a 30 for 30 thread (and maybe we still do & and it's dead) but it looks like all of them are leaving Netflix on January 1st. So if you have Netflix and have a bunch you haven't seen, better get on that. I just finished Youngstown Boys and The U Part 2 and man both of those are absolutely fantastic.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
A reminder that Mike Goldberg was the Red Wings announcer for one year, then was fired for being dull and overwhelmed when calling fights.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Patrick Spens posted:

I only started watching UFC a couple of years ago. And Goldberg just sounds like UFC to me. When he's not at the desk it just isn't the same.

Yeah same, I'm not OG or anything but I've been watching for 6 years or so and he's just been a part of the landscape. It's also crazy to think after all the incidents with Joe and talk of him retiring that he's outlasting Goldberg.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

AsInHowe posted:

A reminder that Mike Goldberg was the Red Wings announcer for one year, then was fired for being dull and overwhelmed when calling fights.

One of the grave injustices of the 90's Red Wings dynasty is that neither Dave Strader or Ken Daniels had the call for the Brawl in Hockeytown.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

AsInHowe posted:

A reminder that Mike Goldberg's dream was to call NFL games, then bombed so hard in his debut that even Fox had to cancel the experiment.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MourningView posted:

I cannot imagine anyone anywhere having a strong opinion about Mike Goldberg one way or the other, he's like as "generic sportscaster" as it gets. If he hadn't gotten a foot in the door right before UFC exploded into a mainstream thing I feel like he'd be doing midweek Conference USA games for espn or something and no one would ever be able to remember his name

Vince McMahon really liked Mike Goldberg. Mainly because he believes Goldberg can handle all the resets and plugs that traditional guys (with personality who are good at calling wrestling) struggle with. I half-jokingly believe it was because Goldberg chants used to bug him and being able to rationalize that they were chanting for Mike would be totally his jam.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rick posted:

Vince McMahon really liked Mike Goldberg. Mainly because he believes Goldberg can handle all the resets and plugs that traditional guys (with personality who are good at calling wrestling) struggle with. I half-jokingly believe it was because Goldberg chants used to bug him and being able to rationalize that they were chanting for Mike would be totally his jam.

Which is sadly incorrect, considering had he joined WWE he would have had to have used a different name because Vince hated Goldberg at the time.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

howe_sam posted:

One of the grave injustices of the 90's Red Wings dynasty is that neither Dave Strader or Ken Daniels had the call for the Brawl in Hockeytown.

Goldberg's terrible call of that was the thing that led to him getting fired.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

C. Everett Koop posted:

A reminder that Mike Goldberg's dream was to call NFL games, then bombed so hard in his debut that even Fox had to cancel the experiment.

Oh was he the guy who called the Lions-Vikings game where he got tons of names wrong and then fought with people on twitter about it?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

AsInHowe posted:

Goldberg's terrible call of that was the thing that led to him getting fired.

I didn't get to see many games that season because I attended college out of state, so I always assumed they got rid of him because he didn't get along with Mickey.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

Oh was he the guy who called the Lions-Vikings game where he got tons of names wrong and then fought with people on twitter about it?

Yeah, he is suuuuper thin-skinned.

E: I mean yeah the life of a sports broadcaster is never an easy one, and football can be an especially tough sport to call if you don't know all the particulars, but man it did not go well.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Speaking of announcers and names, the Bucks announcers refer to Giannis Antetokounmpo by his first name only. I don't blame them at all.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

iospace posted:

Speaking of announcers and names, the Bucks announcers refer to Giannis Antetokounmpo by his first name only. I don't blame them at all.

Home announcers usually do that anyway but yeah that's a special case

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

AsInHowe posted:

Mike Adamle.

Hell yeah!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeFiIl4i5lc

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Why does ESPN keep shoving Mark May down people's throats?

I'll sound "MAD ONLINE HERE", but his analysis for why Washington was going to lose to 'Bama was this:

"WELL THEY'VE NEVER FACED A HOSTILE SEC CROWD"

I don't get this guy. I don't get why he has this job other than to play the role of delivering lovely hot takes to piss off people like me. off.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

FuzzySkinner posted:

I'll sound "MAD ONLINE HERE", but his analysis for why Washington was going to lose to 'Bama was this:

I don't get this guy. I don't get why he has this job other than to play the role of delivering lovely hot takes to piss off people like me. off.

You mean sucking the SEC's cock at ESPN is not unique to that dude?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

iospace posted:

You mean sucking the SEC's cock at ESPN is not unique to that dude?

I would understand the argument if he would have said something to this effect.

"I think UW will not win this game because 'Bama has the best team in the county, the best players and the best coach currently in the game. Not to mention they're in Atlanta, so a potential home field advantage could be a factor".

That's fine. That's not saying anything that I'm sure anyone reading this would disagree with. But to imply that UW players are TERRIFIED of playing 'Bama because of a crowd at a neutral site game? Holy poo poo that's dumb. That's the sort of idiocy I would expect out of a rivals.com board, not someone who was good enough to play in the NFL.

Really I just question why he has a gig there at this point. He doesn't add anything particularly interesting to the broadcast. He comes across as dumber than a box of rocks at times. There's nothing "charming" to him in the vain of a guy like Don Cherry or John Madden who say crazy poo poo at times. He just seems to sort of exist to say stupid poo poo to fill time between games.

e: When you make me feel like I could do a better job than you at doing that sort of things? Yeah..you really need to rethink who has that gig.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Dec 31, 2016

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Did you ever think bama was the golden boy of the ncaa

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

FuzzySkinner posted:

you mean this guy?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/the-big-bang-theory-beat-out-sunday-night-football-as-tvs-most-watched-show.html

Sunday night football is getting beat in ratings by trash rear end show big bang theory

Lmao get hosed NFL

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It was way down early in the season but rebounded after the election (and when they started putting on a Cowboys game every week)

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

MourningView posted:

It was way down early in the season but rebounded after the election (and when they started putting on a Cowboys game every week)
As popular as the Cowboys are, it's kind of amazing to think that pro football wasn't really a thing in Texas until just 50-55 years ago.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

As popular as the Cowboys are, it's kind of amazing to think that pro football wasn't really a thing in Texas until just 50-55 years ago.

God bless the modern transportation infrastructure, which allowed sports to expand west of the Mississippi.

Unless you want to keep the Dodgers in Brooklyn, I guess.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

C. Everett Koop posted:

God bless the modern transportation infrastructure, which allowed sports to expand west of the Mississippi.

Unless you want to keep the Dodgers in Brooklyn, I guess.
The Dodgers and Giants moving was utter horseshit in hindsight, because the Pacific Coast League was 1-2 years form being granted Major League status before those two teams switched coasts and effectively put a stop to it.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
They're much better off now

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

MourningView posted:

They're much better off now
It would have been interesting to see how the commissioner's office would have tried to juggle having three leagues of equal standard at the highest level.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

It would have been interesting to see how the commissioner's office would have tried to juggle having three leagues of equal standard at the highest level.

budseligshrug.jpg probably

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

FuzzySkinner posted:

I would understand the argument if he would have said something to this effect.

"I think UW will not win this game because 'Bama has the best team in the county, the best players and the best coach currently in the game. Not to mention they're in Atlanta, so a potential home field advantage could be a factor".

That's fine. That's not saying anything that I'm sure anyone reading this would disagree with. But to imply that UW players are TERRIFIED of playing 'Bama because of a crowd at a neutral site game? Holy poo poo that's dumb. That's the sort of idiocy I would expect out of a rivals.com board, not someone who was good enough to play in the NFL.

Really I just question why he has a gig there at this point. He doesn't add anything particularly interesting to the broadcast. He comes across as dumber than a box of rocks at times. There's nothing "charming" to him in the vain of a guy like Don Cherry or John Madden who say crazy poo poo at times. He just seems to sort of exist to say stupid poo poo to fill time between games.

e: When you make me feel like I could do a better job than you at doing that sort of things? Yeah..you really need to rethink who has that gig.

ESPN always says that kind of stuff, though.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, here's my take (:haw:) on debate shows. I like PTI and ATH because the former has no moderator and both of them know when to shut up and move on, though they do have the timer. ATH, while it has a moderator, also has a rotating panel, so while you'll have repeat panelists throughout the week, you still get "new" people. That and you actually having the moderator giving out points. poo poo like First Take and Undisputed that needs a moderator is dumb. Learn how to set a schedule and stick to it.

Also Colin Cowherd is probably the worst person alive, and totally signed off on that massive ego stroking commercial for his show.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Keith Jackson seems like he's in rough shape per what I'm hearing in the Rose Bowl :smith:

I just want to talk about how important he is to CFB.

Unsure of the accuracy, but they show Roone Arledge telling Keith in "MONDAY NIGHT MAYHEM" after giving Frank Gifford the gig as lead announcer that he was going to make him "MR. COLLEGE FOOTBALL. "

Well he was RIGHT.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

Keith Jackson seems like he's in rough shape per what I'm hearing in the Rose Bowl :smith:

I just want to talk about how important he is to CFB.

Unsure of the accuracy, but they show Roone Arledge telling Keith in "MONDAY NIGHT MAYHEM" after giving Frank Gifford the gig as lead announcer that he was going to make him "MR. COLLEGE FOOTBALL. "

Well he was RIGHT.

I mean, dude is 88. All things considered I thought he looked and sounded ok.

It was a flash of nostalgia hearing his weakened voice. Every Rose Bowl I end up doing a Keith Jackson impression with a "whoaaaaa nelly! It's the granddaddy of em allllllll"

He is sorely missed in college football and no one has come anywhere close to replacing him. God bless him.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://awfulannouncing.com/2017/brent-musburger-awkwardly-hoped-joe-mixon-has-a-nfl-career.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Brent....Brent...NO.

Don't....Please....STOP.

You didn't need to even bring this up to call the game. Let alone defend it...

e: Calling my shot right now. This will be the last game Brent Musburger calls for ABC/ESPN.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jan 3, 2017

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Agreed. Musburger's part of the problem, not the solution, and doesn't need to be on TV anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Musberger posted:

Apparently some people were very upset when I wished this man well at the next level. Let me make something perfectly clear: what he did with that young lady was brutal, uncalled for, he’s apologized—he was tearful, he got a second chance. He got a second chance from Bob Stoops. I happen to pull for people with second chances, okay? Let me make absolutely clear: I hope he has a wonderful career, and he teaches people with that brutal, violent video. OKAY!? Second down & nine.

Um...what?