Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Bitter Beard posted:

Previous to the Atlanta, my son is playing up an aircraft carrier and he's going to start with the Langley. What is a good cruiser I can play to support him and fend off planes and just play support cruiser for him? I'll switch to the Atlanta once he tiers up a few.

Going to suggest German cruisers. Excellent range and nice concealability with solid hydro. Also maybe the Brits, although I hear the t5 grind is a bit draining, but it might be improved by having a solid CV player backing you up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance
RN CL line is absolute trash until tier 6. It's probably also the reason why the RN CL line is doing so exceptionally well in stats/winrate/damage. Everyone who grinds through it quickly gives up and the good players remain to play the higher tiers. They also require a bit of veterancy to play, because they are even squishier (like, RN paper armour is probably an insult to the durability of paper) than everything else and have a very unique playing style.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

I had success in the Emerald actually, and while I do think it's probably the weakest part of the line, I enjoyed it (although I enjoyed the tier 3 and 4 a bit more). All of them really are completely unforgiving, and any time you survive making a mistake you had better count your lucky stars.

If you can play the islands well, the torpedo loadout on the Emerald in particular will do serious work for you. 4x4 15000 damage torpedoes with 6km range? At tier 5? With single-fire option? Hell yes.

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009
why would anyone like the caledon? that AP seems to be made out of superballs

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

As far as I can tell, basically the skill tree was reorganised to make things easier for battleships and harder for everyone else, especially destroyers. In line with recent changes over the past few months.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Jack_tripper posted:

why would anyone like the caledon? that AP seems to be made out of superballs

Some how averaged 32k per game in it. Having torps can do amazing things.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Playing around with the Akizuki on the test server, and I just don't think HEAP is worth it for them. It's better against T8+ destroyers as you n longer have to worry about positioning, but losing all ability to set fires on battleships is a really lovely trade-off to make.

edit: Note, this means it's probably not worth it for US destroyers either.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 29, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Jack_tripper posted:

if they insist on adding it why not have it become a rechargeable skill, like one use every 5 five minutes or something. having constant magic boat detection is just dumb as hell

That, or like turning off AA, give DDs the ability to go 'radio silent' via a keypress at the cost of not being able to spot anything (or receive data from teammates) for their team while it's active.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

All of your opinions are irrelevant; the only question is, how do battleship maining pubbies feel about it?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I dunno, how do you feel about it?

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

no bones about it posted:

savage

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

:tipshat:

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Oh I just noticed this: if you roll the same ship on santa boxes you get the dubloons instead of the ship but you keep the captain. I was wondering why my reserve was suddenly full...

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
To the dude who somehow does consistently well in the Crapneisenau: what mods do you run on the ship and what's your captain like?

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Here's how you do well in the Gneis. Don't broadside (your rear turret doesn't exist), sail strait towards the nearest BB, torp them.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.

no bones about it posted:

:vince:

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner

OSad posted:

To the dude who somehow does consistently well in the Crapneisenau: what mods do you run on the ship and what's your captain like?

It's really what E Equals MC Hammer says. Just sail towards the enemy and shoot/torp it. The guns, while not exceptional or accurate at long ranges, give you something to do while waiting to charge in and gently caress things up. It's all about knowing WHEN it's time to go in.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Basically for people facing the german BBs with torps here is what it comes down to.

"I have to sail at this BB or I will get broadsided trying to get away"

Then at a certain distance

"gently caress I am going to get torped, I better turn away even though it is too late"

So they eat a couple citadels AND your torps.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
I'd honestly rather trade the torps for some other quirky thing like sonar or something. This barrel-towards-the-enemy strategy only really works when your flanks are safe and you know you won't get slapped by something that'll really hurt in the side, which is usually when you're hounding down BB's who are isolated from the rest of the game or you've already won said game.

I can have okay results on this ship, it just feels like it has this knife-torping playstyle that I've never gotten used to, so it's awkward to pilot. That being said, my winrate on the ship is 50% so it's already more than I can say for my performance in the Bayern.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
Use premium repair and damage control and whenever there's a straggler go gently caress him up. Unlike what everyone things, the guns hit and hit hard and reload quite fast, so abuse cruisers to isolate BBs, then eat them.
If you're top tier, play very aggressively. If you're not top tier, wait for the right time: you can go head on against a BB one or even two tiers higher and win if you catch them off guard.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Shockingly I tested the Radio Position Magical Locator skill and, shockingly, its just as dumb as I thought it was. Sailing towards a cap, see a spotted Atago sailing in front of it at 8km. Suddenly, indicator shifts as he starts angling away, now I know he had a DD slighty in front of him and to his right, hard to starboard and 16 shiratsuyu torps go harmlessly past.

Thanks wargaming, you're loving retarded by the way.

They may as well delete two brothers while they're at it, since the map's gimmick is toast

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

:(

Nearly beat the enemy team on base XP too.

I've seen bad days of boting, but today botes were atrocious. I could have single handedly stopped the Great Famine of 1845.

El Disco posted:

Oh I just noticed this: if you roll the same ship on santa boxes you get the dubloons instead of the ship but you keep the captain. I was wondering why my reserve was suddenly full...

And the port slot! Woohoo!

Iceshade fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 30, 2016

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Hazdoc posted:

Shockingly I tested the Radio Position Magical Locator skill and, shockingly, its just as dumb as I thought it was. Sailing towards a cap, see a spotted Atago sailing in front of it at 8km. Suddenly, indicator shifts as he starts angling away, now I know he had a DD slighty in front of him and to his right, hard to starboard and 16 shiratsuyu torps go harmlessly past.

They may as well delete two brothers while they're at it, since the map's gimmick is toast

Is the PTR stage a point where they still make extensive changes or is everything pretty much rubber stamped and they are just checking for showstoppers among hardware configs?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Hazdoc posted:

This is going to become a mandatory skill for everyone except DDs, isn't it?

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

It is actually decent to take if you want to be an anti-DD DD and contest caps. This indirectly also benefits battleships as DDs are encouraged to kill each other even more. However, the skill should not go live. It is absolutely horrible for everyone concerned.

Edit: v The double plane skill has the planes patrolling in countervailing directions from what I've seen thus far, so two quadrants of your ship are covered from torpedoes and destroyers!

dioxazine fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 30, 2016

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Blindeye posted:

This is going to become a mandatory skill for everyone except DDs, isn't it?

No, it's actually best applied on DDs. But this skill disproportionately AFFECTS DDs, as they are the ones most likely to be spotted by this skill while concealed. BBs may not always want it, especially germans who already have god sonars and don't give half a gently caress about ambushes anyways, but CAs and DDs with the skill (particularly RUS/US variants) will have the new ability of knowing precisely where that pesky IJN DD has gone off to and chase it down until it dies or runs back to its fleet.

This skill has virtually no effect on BBs, but a massive chilling effect on DDs, and a smaller but still noticeable effect on CAs. This will be the straw that breaks the camel's back, basically. This skill also destroys the idea of an ambush, makes flanking maneuvers less impactful or surprising, and makes the legendary Solo Warrior comeback a figment of your imagination. And it breaks a few maps too (Two Brothers, anyone?)

Oh and they added that 2 plane skill at Rank 1, so on top of the magic radar, you now have two scout planes lighting everything within 6km of you up and double the torpedo coverage from the plane spotting. Because why not?

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Dec 30, 2016

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

This radio detection thing is going to almost completely remove one of the biggest threats to my Atago.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Montana drivers are the loving worst. They refuse to go anywhere, they sit at the back and snipe, and then when they're left alone and die they moan about how they had no choice because a Montana can't beat any tier 10 1v1, nevermind the fact that if both of the gutless wonders had followed my NC and our Benson in we would have taken both the Yamato and the Zao and the Bismarck, because it's a team game and not a jousting tournament.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
Already working hard on getting all my games on the Hatsuharu so I can get the Shiratsuyu, maybe run a couple of poipocalypse divisions, and then retire from my DD career until they decide to do something about the detection skill, if they ever do anything about it at all. They seem fairly content with it if anything.

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009

MikeC posted:

Is the PTR stage a point where they still make extensive changes or is everything pretty much rubber stamped and they are just checking for showstoppers among hardware configs?

fwiw I browsed the forums and just about every thread or comment about it was a complaint so if enough of a stink is raised it might not see release. hell there was enough bitching in beta that they ended up giving away a free ship that they didn't want to

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

That ship (The Murmansk) wasn't free. It was like $2 at humble bundle for a code.

Torbo
Jun 12, 2007

Durendal posted:

That ship (The Murmansk) wasn't free. It was like $2 at humble bundle for a code.

right, but it wasnt intended to be permanent. If I remember right, it was supposed to be like a rental or something, but everyone was like gently caress that, that wasnt clear, so WG just gave everyone one who payed the dollar for the bundle.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Torbo posted:

right, but it wasnt intended to be permanent. If I remember right, it was supposed to be like a rental or something, but everyone was like gently caress that, that wasnt clear, so WG just gave everyone one who payed the dollar for the bundle.

No, it was always meant to be permanent, the rental "It's for beta only" line is what WG NA tried to spin after WG HQ sent them a please explain notice, but it didn't fly, and everyone got to keep their Murmansk. WG NA management then pinned the blame on the CM and sacked him, even though they clearly approved it, because a CM doesn't have that kind of authority.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

Torbo posted:

Except the CM at the time said it would be permanent? They went back on their word which caused an uproar.

I think that whole debacle lead to NA having a decent team, or at least let them know we wouldn't put up with their bullshit and get butt hosed over and over again like EU.

Durendal fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Dec 30, 2016

Torbo
Jun 12, 2007
Gotcha. I guess i misunderstood a little bit.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

Another thing is that they nearly destroyed every bit of goodwill of the community at a very critical time. The game was in real danger of being stillborn on NA.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

So apparently they snuck in another BB buff.

The new Fire Prevention skill means that super structure hits can only start one fire at a time.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Xae posted:

So apparently they snuck in another BB buff.

The new Fire Prevention skill means that super structure hits can only start one fire at a time.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009

even in that specific situation, why do 3-4 ships need more of an advantage on some poor half-dead guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Jack_tripper posted:

even in that specific situation, why do 3-4 ships need more of an advantage on some poor half-dead guy

they don't

wargaming is trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist, and in turn, is creating a MASSIVE problem