Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

untitled by Max Piepenbrink, on Flickr

Chamonix 4x5 with the 300mm, behind the scenes making of: https://www.instagram.com/p/BOBw0t9gtX9/?taken-by=ludeshaz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

last few posts are realllly good. did everyone go to japan?

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Karl Barks posted:

last few posts are realllly good. did everyone go to japan?

yes

sunset at meiji by Max Piepenbrink, on Flickr

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Karl Barks fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 30, 2016

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.
Every time someone posts something from a Pentax 6x7 I really want one. I got the chance to hold one today and wow it's big, I knew it was big but gently caress is it hella big. Kind of tempered that want a little bit.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

aricoarena posted:

Every time someone posts something from a Pentax 6x7 I really want one. I got the chance to hold one today and wow it's big, I knew it was big but gently caress is it hella big. Kind of tempered that want a little bit.

gotta GET big to SHOOT big HOOYEAH!!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

aricoarena posted:

FYI I love mine but went out shooting with a goon and it rained on us and it was a $550 CAD repair.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

aricoarena posted:

Just look up photos taken by a P67 with the 105/2.4.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

alkanphel posted:

This isn't helping my GAS.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Helicity posted:

This isn't helping my GAS.

It's not meant to :unsmigghh:

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007

alkanphel posted:

And I thought I just rounded out my p67 kit...

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.
Fuuuuuck. My mamiya 6 just totally locked up this morning. Won't wind, won't let me close the dark slide to take the lens off. Super bummed.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

aricoarena posted:

Consider the Kiev 60. It's a lighter, cheaper medium format SLR. It's no p67, but its pretty rugged. I wouldn't be worried about taking it out in the rain. Only 6x6, but there is a very nice 180mm 2.8 East German Carl Zeiss lens for the mount, that's great for portraits and general use as a short telephoto. Buy one with MLU from Arax Photo in Ukraine (or from a reputable dealer who can provide proof of servicing and a good return policy) and most of the shutter speeds might even work and make even exposures! No guarantees, though.

While we're talking about gear and not posting pictures, I'll tell everyone my boring story: I returned two separate Fuji GA645Zi cameras that I ordered from the same store on eBay, because of various defects or issues they had. The first was unworkable because of a misaligned viewfinder. The second, despite looking perfect, had a badly misaligned front focusing group that tilted upwards when the AF engaged. I'm bringing this up because it reinforces something that I've had to learn the hard way: only buy from eBay sellers who offer no-hassle returns, and make liberal use of return privileges if necessary. Now I've got my whole camera budget of about $1000 to spend again. I don't think I'll roll the dice on another 645Zi, but it's hard not too, because it was the perfect walk-around camera for me. Barely anything more to it than a 35mm camera, in terms of bulk. Probably lighter and slimmer than any of my Nikon F camera setups. I think I'll look for something larger-format now, but I've been spoiled by AF, AE, and auto winding, so I'm kind of SOL since I'm not looking for another 6x7 camera (an RZ67 or P67 both afford a bit of automation). Just 6x9 or 6x8. Which basically leaves me with the Fuji G(SW)690(BL) and the fixed (or interchangeable) 65mm. I've also considered a bronica SQ, just because it does have auto exposure and isn't huge. It also has interchangeable lenses and has wider options than the 28mm equivalent of the Fuji.

But the glass film holders I bought for my Epson V550, combined with the realization that I need to be scaling down my scans more anyway, have made it possible for me to be happy with the quality of flatbed scans of 120 film again, and I think 6x9 format would make the most of that method.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 31, 2016

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Plaubel makina 67
Fuji gf670

In my case I stopped bringing so much stuff, and my single camera single lens setup of the 500cm is very reasonable.

Basically buy a hasselblad.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I would have pulled the trigger on GSW690 by now, but the lovely 'T' mode. Some of the RB67 lenses work the same way, and it sucks.

I think if there was any other 6x7 camera I would buy, it would be the Pentax. Far from stripping down, though, it would be for the relatively huge lens selection. Especially the telephotos.

But yeah, I need something simple to grab & go, and wide, to use more generally. I've heard that the Makina is fragile, but the GF670W would be ideal if it wasn't going for about 30% more than I'm willing to pay. So I guess my self being a cheap rear end in a top hat is just as much of a problem for me as the camera market.

Edit: I guess there're also 2x3 cameras with roll film backs. I'm not up on principles of use or how lens compatibility works for those cameras, though. Or even which ones are good.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Dec 31, 2016

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

aricoarena posted:

hey baby, it's not about the size, it's about how you handle it. :quagmire:

but seriously it's by far one of the best buys in medium format value, it's a crazy good system whose quality is really only equalled by hasselblad, mamiya RZ/RB, and Mamiya 7 and it destroys all those systems in overall versatility and price. If I could keep one camera system forever it might be Nikon F but it also might be Pentax 6x7, it's that good and the quality of the lenses and the negative size owns. If you want "a 35mm SLR but bigger and better" then this is your camera.

I do recommend you buy the wood handle grip though, I think it helps the handling immensely. OTHERS DISAGREE HOWEVER (but don't worry they're wrong, buy the grip)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 31, 2016

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
also if you think the P67 is big, then wait until you see a Fuji G690/GW690/etc in person. I saw one a couple years ago and goddamn "gulliver's leica" is no joke, that thing is like a foot wide and like 8" deep

edit: I love my Fuji gear though so don't think I'm hating

double edit: p67 with some common size references:

as someone who now owns a Rolleiflex 3.5E Xenotar: man I wish I hadn't sold that Yashica D, but I was poor and in college and needed to buy more cameras. I don't regret selling that carpet though.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Dec 31, 2016

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Paul MaudDib posted:

also if you think the P67 is big, then wait until you see a Fuji G690/GW690/etc in person. I saw one a couple years ago and goddamn "gulliver's leica" is no joke, that thing is like a foot wide and like 8" deep

Yeah, here's a size comparison from when I got my GW670II.

I also have a Pentax 67. I really like the GW670II better as a walking around camera. It's MUCH lighter, and really feels like a large 35mm. The P67 is shaped the same, but is so much heavier and more unwieldy. Of course, the GW has no interchangeable lenses (which is part of why it's so light), so it's not super versatile.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

untitled by Max Piepenbrink, on Flickr

the Pentax 67 in Japan again

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

tokyo nature sunset by Max Piepenbrink, on Flickr

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

aricoarena posted:

seriously though it's not supposed to feel good when you suddenly realize what you're missing.

the p67 is a top-shelf professional camera that you can be shooting right now for $500 with a lens. You can't even buy a Hasselblad kit for half that price anymore. gently caress, you can't even shoot a Mamiya 645 with an 80/1.9 for that nowadays.

literally all of my film camera gear has appreciated +100% in the last 6 years. It probably won't happen again, but I have faith in my MF gear and most of all my P67 gear based on quality. I've sampled pretty much everything that is out there and the P67 is on the top shelf.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Dec 31, 2016

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

seriously though it's not supposed to feel good when you suddenly realize what you're missing.

the p67 is a top-shelf professional camera that you can be shooting right now for $500 with a lens. You can't even buy a Hasselblad kit for half that price. gently caress, you can't even shoot a Mamiya 645 with an 80/1.9 for that nowadays.

literally all of my camera gear has appreciated +100% in the last 6 years but my MF gear is the poo poo I'm most convinced in, and the P67 most of all.

Sure you can http://www.ebay.com/itm/HASSELBLAD-500-EL-M-BLACK-WITH-9V-BATTERY-ADAPTER-/201759905363?hash=item2ef9d3d653:g:Ff8AAOSw44BYDtM7

the EL sucks but still.

I also agree with everything you say with the p67. It's a good camera.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Wild EEPROM posted:

Sure you can http://www.ebay.com/itm/HASSELBLAD-500-EL-M-BLACK-WITH-9V-BATTERY-ADAPTER-/201759905363?hash=item2ef9d3d653:g:Ff8AAOSw44BYDtM7

the EL sucks but still.

I also agree with everything you say with the p67. It's a good camera.

That's a body, no lens, how much does the kit cost?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

That's a body, no lens, how much does the kit cost?

$85 Viewfinder http://www.ebay.com/itm/HASSELBLAD-...EQAAOSwMgdXx1t2

$113 for a back http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hasselblad-A12-V-Button-Roll-Film-Back-Chrome-425-/401196834990?hash=item5d6931e0ae:g:IiIAAOSwOyJX63ga

$210 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Excllent-Ha...f0AAOSwENxXlsG2

and $206 for the above body

= $614.

Doesn't really suit my style but it's possible. For me I would get a regular 500cm body and the 80mm instead.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

^^ sup Hasselblad supremacy buddy :hfive:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Wild EEPROM posted:

$85 Viewfinder http://www.ebay.com/itm/HASSELBLAD-...EQAAOSwMgdXx1t2

$113 for a back http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hasselblad-A12-V-Button-Roll-Film-Back-Chrome-425-/401196834990?hash=item5d6931e0ae:g:IiIAAOSwOyJX63ga

$210 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Excllent-Ha...f0AAOSwENxXlsG2

and $206 for the above body

= $614.

Doesn't really suit my style but it's possible. For me I would get a regular 500cm body and the 80mm instead.

That's not a viewfinder, that's a 150mm lens. I guess it's OK if you want a 100mm-equivalent lens tho.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

I had the wrong link pasted. It's basically a flip up hood so you can actually see your poo poo.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HASSELBLAD-...EQAAOSwMgdXx1t2

It's also possible to find setups for not significantly more; I paid closer to $750 for mine, I've seen ones here for around that, and once a (pretty tired) 500c with chrome 80mm locally for the equivalent of $550 usd.
Realistically it's closer to $900 for a standard 80mm 500cm setup though

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

sunset at castle rock by Max Piepenbrink, on Flickr

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Dec 31, 2016

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

For some reason, I just bought a gl690, plus 100mm & 65mm lenses. Price was right, and the shutters have true bulb mode. It's probably going to break as soon as the return window expires, but I'll use the poo poo out of it and then get it fixed if needed. As long as the 65mm holds up...

The whole kit was supposedly serviced not too long ago.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

This is Meiji shrine right? I loved that place. Probably the most serene part of my entire Japan trip.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Are you guys always tripoding your Pentax 67s? I have been pleasantly surprised at how well the Mamiya 7 can be used as a hand-held.

On a related note, at what point is the vibration an issue for getting sharp shots (on the Pentax)? I've heard anywhere between 1/4-1/60 are exposure times to be wary of, but that seems to be with the longer lenses. How prevalent is it with say - the 45/75/105?

edit: specified for the P67. I've gotten great handheld shots at 80mm and 1/15 on the M7. The P67 has a lot more heavy stuff slapping around, even with MLU.

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 31, 2016

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

The rule is 1/focal length for 35mm. I assume you have to convert for medium and large format? So 80mm on a medium format camera would be sharp at 1/50-ish. If I'm shooting handheld I try do one shutter speed above that ratio, so 1/60 on a 50mm, etc. Can someone back me up on that?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I tripod my 67 because it only adds like 20% to the overall weight I'm carrying and I don't shoot higher than 400 ISO.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Helicity posted:

Are you guys always tripoding your Pentax 67s? I have been pleasantly surprised at how well the Mamiya 7 can be used as a hand-held.

On a related note, at what point is the vibration an issue for getting sharp shots (on the Pentax)? I've heard anywhere between 1/4-1/60 are exposure times to be wary of, but that seems to be with the longer lenses. How prevalent is it with say - the 45/75/105?

edit: specified for the P67. I've gotten great handheld shots at 80mm and 1/15 on the M7. The P67 has a lot more heavy stuff slapping around, even with MLU.

I might have some physical advantage or something but I only tripod'd shots on my Japan trip that needed to be slower than 1/30th, and even then I shot a lot at 1/30th that came out not at all blurry

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I never use a tripod with my Hasselblad, but I definitely try never to go below 1/60 unless absolutely necessary.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I was out and about with an RB67 today. Definitely shot a lot at 1/60, and wasn't carrying a tripod. The mirror feels very well-dampened, but I was using MLU and a cable release threaded around the left-hand grip anyway because it's easy enough. Even though the RB is an unwieldy brick (although less so with the older 90/3.8), it feels like steady hands could probably take the shutter speed down to 1/30 handheld and not induce too much vibration. The leaf shutter is like a whisper.

I've wondered how much more ergonomic the P67 is in the field. I can't imagine that the RB with the 90mm lens and a WLF is any heavier than a P67 with normal lens and eye-level prism. But throw the 65mm K/L and metered prism onto the RB and it's a goddamn hog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I was out and about with an RB67 today. Definitely shot a lot at 1/60, and wasn't carrying a tripod. The mirror feels very well-dampened, but I was using MLU and a cable release threaded around the left-hand grip anyway because it's easy enough. Even though the RB is an unwieldy brick (although less so with the older 90/3.8), it feels like steady hands could probably take the shutter speed down to 1/30 handheld and not induce too much vibration. The leaf shutter is like a whisper.

I've wondered how much more ergonomic the P67 is in the field. I can't imagine that the RB with the 90mm lens and a WLF is any heavier than a P67 with normal lens and eye-level prism. But throw the 65mm K/L and metered prism onto the RB and it's a goddamn hog.

The P67 is a really unergonomic camera, ironically it's worse with the grip since that's the side you're focusing/adjusting shutter speed with so you can never really use it. The base of the camera is full of square edges and it's heavy obviously. The eye-level prisms on the 67 are super heavy because glass etc.