Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

14, you look more alive and happy in that video than I would have thought possible a year ago. The truck may not be moving, but I think the real goal of this trip has been well and truly accomplished. You made your pilgrimage, you put in 6 solid weeks of work, and you found yourself again.

Go pet your pussy, recharge your batteries, come back after the truck thaws and finish it proper. This story ain't over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I think a victory pyre is in order

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Next on MythBusters: Is Panther Piss flammable, or inflammable?

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

14 BAR RIFF posted:

:supaburn:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

After that shot, just taking a piss on the jeep should melt whats left. :v:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

14 BAR RIFF posted:

RIP danno's toilet

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

So what's happening with the truck? Is it staying on that property or is Dan also selling the property as well as moving out?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Oh gently caress. So long as the truck, VW, and Daytona aren't offered up..

Enourmo posted:

14, you look more alive and happy in that video than I would have thought possible a year ago. You made your pilgrimage, you put in 6 solid weeks of work, and you found yourself again.

Also, this. You've put in a truly insane amount of work man. Kudos.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
I might be wrong but I think it got mentioned earlier in the thread that danno's parents own the property, so I think the truck will be allowed to hang out for awhile.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Enourmo posted:

14, you look more alive and happy in that video than I would have thought possible a year ago.

My thoughts exactly, you look human again.

Go home, rest, pet your catte, and the truck can be finished when the permafrost is gone.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Trukk status: engine swapped, murder wheels swapped, wiring 50-90%. I'd call that a god dammed success.

Dave, you're an inspiration, go pet that cat and fix your civic.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

This guy was able to rip the recordings from the ROM.

Unfortunately he never released them, but I bet a goon could figure out how to rip the recordings... and probably figure out how to get new recordings into it. :getin:

The "recordings" are eay to do. They're stored as plaintext strings that are text-to-voiced at the time they play.

Should be possible an make the car say anything by modifying those strings or potentially even adding them (if there's enough free memory left), assuming you can rewrite the memory. If not, it's just a little harder.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Excellent, I'm glad you're getting a plane home.

You got an incredible amount of work done, really only stopped from finishing by the godawful weather. Godspeed, and I look forward to the inevitable new 14" thread.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Truck runs, and potentially drives despite both horrid working conditions and handgups that would've slain greater men.

I look at it this way, Dave, you got some much-needed Time Away From It All, and whether or not you know it, you have likely benefitted from this both mentally and physically. Once you've had a nice long sleep in your bed and a long cuddle with Rosie, you'll probably feel the best you have in ages.

E: I imagine you'll finish the fireshits somewhere between San Jose and Seattle.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Amazing progress TBH. This has been impressive to say the least - most everyone would have done much less in longer time, even in good conditions.

Wait for Spring, assess what needs to be done and prepare.... you'll be rolling in no time.

But frankly the real great thing here is seeing you healthy and in a far better headspace. Even if you aint rolling in the truck, thats the real success

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
At least now there's time to re-asses some things. Like finish the exhaust, get correct new wheel cylinders, get the heater going, replace the remaining two tires, maybe get all the wheels balanced, alignment, roadtest etc.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
My only suggestion / motivational words are... Imagine how well New Beetles burn in nebraska

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Looking forward to the coffee shop's reaction to 14's return after they probably assumed he was gone for good.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Rectal Placenta posted:

Looking forward to the coffee shop's reaction to 14's return after they probably assumed he was gone for good.

https://youtu.be/PirVtiJuvDs

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

Fermented Tinal posted:

At least now there's time to re-asses some things. Like finish the exhaust, get correct new wheel cylinders, get the heater going, replace the remaining two tires, maybe get all the wheels balanced, alignment, roadtest etc.

I love this thread, but I am going to play devil's advocate here. (Probably unnecessarily as Sims has been pretty practical throughout.)

The original point of shipping the truck to danno's and driving it the rest of the way was saving money vs shipping it. Actually, go back further; the original point of buying the truck was to get it to Florida for a frame off crate motor restomod.

This thread has been so fun to read that no one is considering whether the project is the goon in the well. Why keep digging when every effort is going to be undone and most new parts will be replace with better parts at a later date?

I guess what I am saying is 14, excellent work. Sims please let us know what the plan is going forward.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I'm way back on page 53 but wanted to say the multiple Electric Wizard references have given this thread a great soundtrack in my head, thanks 14

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Stitecin posted:

I love this thread, but I am going to play devil's advocate here. (Probably unnecessarily as Sims has been pretty practical throughout.)

The original point of shipping the truck to danno's and driving it the rest of the way was saving money vs shipping it. Actually, go back further; the original point of buying the truck was to get it to Florida for a frame off crate motor restomod.

This thread has been so fun to read that no one is considering whether the project is the goon in the well. Why keep digging when every effort is going to be undone and most new parts will be replace with better parts at a later date?

Who cares. Whats important is that it turned out to be probably the best thread to ever grace AI, and it was needed therapy for Dave.

How the truck actually ends up will be a small footnote compared to the story of how it was resurrected and helped someone in the process.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

More like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn2hJYpFnhA&t=114s

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Stitecin posted:

I guess what I am saying is 14, excellent work. Sims please let us know what the plan is going forward.

Well, considering most quotes I was given started in the 2-3k range I'm still ahead in that regard.

But it wasn't just about saving money. It was about adventure, getting out and seeing new places, and just doing something considered impossible. And you know what? We did it. It's almost there.

I spent the night before last pretty much in full despair and anger mode, but now I'm excited again. Granted, it sucks to wait, but it's more time to get things planned out and shore up some funds. I can get those two last tires now. We cam get a proper exhaust, And time to do some more research on any other potential issues.

I have to talk to Dave and Dan about what the plan from here on out is, but I'd like to shoot for an April return to finish the last few bits and get this on the road.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I LIVE. I DIE. I LIVE AGAIN

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

*quietly bookmarks for later*

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

ExplodingSims posted:

Well, considering most quotes I was given started in the 2-3k range I'm still ahead in that regard.

But it wasn't just about saving money. It was about adventure, getting out and seeing new places, and just doing something considered impossible. And you know what? We did it. It's almost there.

I spent the night before last pretty much in full despair and anger mode, but now I'm excited again. Granted, it sucks to wait, but it's more time to get things planned out and shore up some funds. I can get those two last tires now. We cam get a proper exhaust, And time to do some more research on any other potential issues.

I have to talk to Dave and Dan about what the plan from here on out is, but I'd like to shoot for an April return to finish the last few bits and get this on the road.

Don't you dare give up on Thunderhorse.

ChlamydiaJones
Sep 27, 2002

My Estonian riding instructor told me; "Mine munni ahvi türa imeja", and I live by that every day!
Ramrod XTreme
You're doing the correct thing. Is there any way to push an alert to all of us in the spring? I'd hate to remember this thread in summer and find that I'd missed yet another epic adventure!

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Don't worry, I spent years looking for this, it's gonna take more than this to abandon it

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

ExplodingSims posted:

Don't worry, I spent years looking for this, it's gonna take more than this to abandon it

Uh yeah see on that note I believe I was promised a bonfire so

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Uh yeah see on that note I believe I was promised a bonfire so

Well now.

:unsmigghh:

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I'm surprised at the progress was made. The whole time reading the thread it was me chuckling going "No way..... no way is this actually happening"

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
God drat it the jeep plates blew away

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

14 BAR RIFF posted:

God drat it the jeep plates blew away

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfaa0Sjczik

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

ExplodingSims posted:

...it wasn't just about saving money. It was about adventure, getting out and seeing new places, and just doing something considered impossible. And you know what? We did it. It's almost there...

Fair enough. I have loved this thread since the beginning and can't wait to see not only how you get the truck home, but what it becomes once it's there.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Cleaning up in the field, poo poo be lookin like Jonestown: the Day After

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
CLEANING UP INSIDE, GHOSTPEPPER SAUCE BEING ALL KOOL-AID MAN WITH MY BUTTHOLE

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
literal scorched earth

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Incredible timing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Dude, you accomplished so much, be proud of that. This is but a temporary setback. Winter sucks - I know I wouldn't want to work out in that crap. Hell is frozen, as far as I'm concerned.

• Locked thread