Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

I find what happens a lot when fighting groups of enemies is when you're holding the block button on anticipation of a certain attack, another enemy will come along and take a swipe at Noctis which makes him dodge out of the way so you lose your block/parry opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Like Clockwork posted:

In defense of the game, I have met clingy cats. ...As in it has repeatedly attempted to get in my (dog-filled) house when all I have done is pet it. Sweet cat, but no sense of self-preservation. And there's also that cat body language is innately more aloof-seeming even when they are being very clingy. Just a very different animal to read than a dog.

I mean, don't get me wrong, they're still :sparkles:tiny furry assholes:sparkles: (that I love (and tbh dogs are also :shittydog:furry assholes:shittydog: that I love)), they just are way more social than most people give them credit for due to their body language.

Less animal-related: is there a "shut the gently caress up Prompto" button? Cause every time he speaks he gets more annoying.

Yeah, the cat my boyfriend and I adopted a year and a half ago seems like she might have been abandoned and have a touch of anxiety as a result, because she's very very clingy. She was a stray we took in, about 10 months old when we got her, no chip, no collar, heavily pregnant. Nowadays she's a perfectly healthy girl, but every time she wakes up from a nap she will meow loudly if she can't see one of us two, until we shout for her, then she'll run to wherever the voice comes from and jump on whoever it is. She likes to sleep on my hands and gets very grumpy if I try and move them, up to the point where she will lick the back of my hand and gently bite my wrist to convince me to stay still.

She (and we) just lost her adoptive big brother cat to an accident a week and a half ago, so she's even more clingy lately, not that we mind in the slightest, obviously.

dimenticon
Jun 16, 2014

Me irl, whatever, who cares

Wiseblood posted:

I find what happens a lot when fighting groups of enemies is when you're holding the block button on anticipation of a certain attack, another enemy will come along and take a swipe at Noctis which makes him dodge out of the way so you lose your block/parry opportunity.

I noticed that our boys also sometimes dodge roll (square + directional input) when anticipating a parryable attack, which ends up moving them out of the way instead of getting the parry. I'm sure they'll get the hang of it eventually but when you see the block prompt come up on screen you need to let go of everything and just hold square and wait for the attack to connect.

And even then it sometimes never comes, in situations Wiseblood mentions here and also due to weird janky moments during battle, like a rock or dead body blocking the way for the enemy to connect.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm glad you guys decided to move through the story a bit. The hunts are really starting to ramp up in difficulty so it'd be good to move on and make better weapons open to purchase.

Anyway I totally missed something, what did they do to suddenly make everything but food only cost half of what it does normally?

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

RareAcumen posted:

I'm glad you guys decided to move through the story a bit. The hunts are really starting to ramp up in difficulty so it'd be good to move on and make better weapons open to purchase.

Anyway I totally missed something, what did they do to suddenly make everything but food only cost half of what it does normally?

They were gifted a DLC that basically does exactly that.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

oath2order posted:

They were gifted a DLC that basically does exactly that.

Oh, I only knew about the one that gives you the Masamune.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Pizza requires no ingredients. It's free 100 attack, infinite stamina and poison-proof.

dimenticon
Jun 16, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

Oh, I only knew about the one that gives you the Masamune.

FFXV went all-out with pre-order dlc, but also spread it out really weirdly. No retailer or store sold the game with all possible pre-order dlc, not even the Ultimate edition on Squeenix's online shop.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Also: if you're dashing and push the dash button again JUST as the meter is about to run out, it completely refills. Admittedly, it takes a bit to get used to the timing, but it'll save you MP for any random encounters you might face.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

dimenticon posted:

FFXV went all-out with pre-order dlc, but also spread it out really weirdly. No retailer or store sold the game with all possible pre-order dlc, not even the Ultimate edition on Squeenix's online shop.

Somehow worse than Ubisoft, :wtc:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

dimenticon posted:

I remember seeing a graph that bad about some other game too but I can't remember anything so it's completely gone.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

I remember seeing a graph that bad about some other game too but I can't remember anything so it's completely gone.

Likely the first Watch Dogs.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Or maybe Mass Effect 3?

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

dimenticon posted:

Wait, so the two versions with the most DLC included are the "Ultimate" Edition (still missing more than half of it)... and the cheapest basic store version (either Amazon for quantity, or NA store for the extra game) for a quarter the price?

This isn't even manipulative, it's just weird and confusing.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
I think there's a Jim Sterling video about this out there on YouTube...

This game feels pretty unhurried, which is good, but I loving hate Cindy's fanservicey garbage character design, because it's bad.

Thanks for showing us the Real World/Road Rules Arranged Marriage Challenge. Can't wait to see the wacky hijinx this gang of totally three dimensional characters gets up to next.

Does the party ever change, like ever, or is this just (insert boy band reference) for the next 110 episodes?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

zxqv8 posted:

Does the party ever change, like ever, or is this just (insert boy band reference) for the next 110 episodes?

The core group doesn't change, bar a few temporary leavings here and there, but there are three guest characters that join for a limited period of time.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

zxqv8 posted:

There is some character growth but not an amazing amount, and certainly nothing you wouldn't expect. This game is basically you listening in on a roadtrip between 4 idiot friends. Oh and there's your standard FF plot about magic and evil empires stapled on too. Kind of clashes with the whole roadtrip part honestly. Its not apparent yet, but eventually this game starts telling two stories that mesh together really poorly.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Internet Kraken posted:

There is some character growth but not an amazing amount, and certainly nothing you wouldn't expect. This game is basically you listening in on a roadtrip between 4 idiot friends. Oh and there's your standard FF plot about magic and evil empires stapled on too. Kind of clashes with the whole roadtrip part honestly. Its not apparent yet, but eventually this game starts telling two stories that mesh together really poorly.

10 years

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

3 years.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

zxqv8 posted:

I loving hate Cindy's fanservicey garbage character design, because it's bad.

the backstreet boys are 4 different flavors of fanservice, just for different demographics, & they're just as blatant pandering

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Unless there's DLC that puts all the guys in speedos I don't think they will be on the level of Cindy.

Speaking of which, never change Noctis out of the winter jacket. It suits his personality so drat well.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Cindy's living at a garage in the middle of nowhere. It's not her fault that she's only been able to afford one pair of clothes since she was 12.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Unless there's DLC that puts all the guys in speedos I don't think they will be on the level of Cindy

sexualization and fetishes are very vast categories & not all of them involve bare skin.

beefy and glasses look like guys you'd see on the cover to a romance novel but with more black

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

darealkooky posted:

sexualization and fetishes are very vast categories & not all of them involve bare skin

While the 4 lead guys are obviously designed to appeal to the female gaze you cant really argue they exist purely as sexualization fodder in the way Cindy does.

It's also like, after Cindy at this point in the game I think the second most developed female character is that waitress who made the cat food.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

oath2order posted:

While the 4 lead guys are obviously designed to appeal to the female gaze you cant really argue they exist purely as sexualization fodder in the way Cindy does.

I'd argue that cindy actually has more of a developed personality than lance bass and the rest of them because she needs to carry a scene on her own instead of just being 1/4th of a group of quiping robots in black leather

dimenticon
Jun 16, 2014

Cindy ended up being likeable to me by the end of the game, in the sense that her accent actually grew on me and she was inoffensive and friendly.

Really though, not seeing any good reason she's dressed as she is and was given that refueling scene other than the obvious, which isn't a good reason imo.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Distant relative of Quiet's? :v:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

oath2order posted:

It's also like, after Cindy at this point in the game I think the second most developed female character is that waitress who made the cat food.

Also at this point in the game we're still in Chapter 1. Game's not going to blow all its cards right at the start and it's not like Taka or Dave are amazingly fleshed out characters either.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Noctis will regret his words and deeds

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

dimenticon posted:

Really though, not seeing any good reason she's dressed as she is and was given that refueling scene other than the obvious, which isn't a good reason imo.

It's hot in the desert.

Samuel L. Chan
May 13, 2007

Smoking marijuana, eating Cheese Doodles, and masturbating do not constitute 'plans' in my book!
Is the vaguely scummy guy with a New York accent really jarring for anyone else? It's like a real person got sucked into FF15, where does he even come from in game?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Samuel L. Chan posted:

Is the vaguely scummy guy with a New York accent really jarring for anyone else? It's like a real person got sucked into FF15, where does he even come from in game?

Noctis pulled out a cell phone already, I don't know what to believe anymore.

Genocyber posted:

It's hot in the desert.

Only if you're Cindy.

Gnomebitten
Mar 31, 2011

Shave Early. Shave Yourself.

darealkooky posted:

I'd argue that cindy actually has more of a developed personality than lance bass and the rest of them because she needs to carry a scene on her own instead of just being 1/4th of a group of quiping robots in black leather

When you find out why Cindy wears a push-up bikini, you will be ashamed.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Samuel L. Chan posted:

The magical fantasy realm of New Joisey.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
What the gently caress even is this beautiful game.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

90s Cringe Rock posted:

What the gently caress even is this beautiful game.

Somehow still less headache-inducing than Kingdom Hearts. A series that started out with you beating up the main character of FF9 but as a child, and then later on if you chose, Sephiroth and two of the Titans from Hercules.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Lunethex posted:

Somehow worse than Ubisoft, :wtc:

I don't know about that. The collector's edition of FFXV didn't include Noctis's iconic cap.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
That was one big harse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZcn2V4alPg

The regalia can pull one hell of a u turn

"Why aren't these fish biting?" *reels in as fast as possible*

Internet Kraken