Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Way to gently caress up the punchline by thinking "posies" are a specific type of flower, comic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

Data Graham posted:

Way to gently caress up the punchline by thinking "posies" are a specific type of flower, comic

yeah that predator is never going to believe she's a botanist now

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Data Graham posted:

haha you know about flowers

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

Stex T posted:

Sadly, it's pretty much guaranteed the suit would be successful. One of the first cases you learn in law school is about a 5 year old child who moves a chair right before a lady tries to sit down in it. The lady sues the kid's family for damages and succeeds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garratt_v._Dailey

Congratulations on completely missing the purpose of that class.

Is there a reasonable expectation that the hood of a vehicle is something that a reasonable person would a) jump on or b) sit on?
Would or could doing either or a combination of said actions damage the vehicle?
Would it be a reasonable action for the driver of the vehicle to move the vehicle in order to prevent the vehicle form a) being damaged b) prevent the vehicle from coming into contact with a person regardless of whether the person wants to come in contact with the vehicle?

Now, reword these questions so that the vehicle is the chair and the driver is the baby and tell me what you get.

The short answer is, the driver is probably going to win a civil suit.

As far as entrapment goes:
Entrapment is when a police officer directing traffic tells you to go through a red light and then gives you a ticket for going through said red light. Entrapment is not a police officer sitting at a red light and not doing anything to prevent you from running the red light but does pull you over as soon as you do. "Congrats on running a red light in front of a cop, dipshit," said everyone who has ever seen it happen.
I don't know why everyone tries to make crazy scenarios about entrapment. Did you do the illegal act voluntarily? If yes, it isn't entrapment. Non-police/prosecution can never entrap because entrapment has to involve the justice system forcing you to commit a crime.
Why anyone would use an example of a cop locking someone in a room and them busting out as an example of entrapment is beyond me. That has to be the worst example of what isn't entrapment that I have ever heard. Congrats at describing a prison break as entrapment.

Data Graham, I see your point but I'm just going to say it is common knowledge that girls love flowers given as gifts more than if they purchased them themselves. In that context, posies is an acceptable answer.

Edit: To Catch a Predator Talk, I always assumed that the TV show pulled a Florida Police Department and said the candy/toy was to bribe the child to go the gently caress away so the 'predator' could bang the legal chick. Only without asset forfeiture laws being enacted and a poo poo load of editing.

Two Feet From Bread has a new favorite as of 07:07 on Dec 30, 2016

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I mean, the name 'entrapment' is pretty clear. Were you unfairly trapped into committing a crime you were then charged for? If yes, you may well have a solid case! If you went after a girl who you 100% thought was underage when at any time you could have just not tried to gently caress a child, then you probably didn't get trapped.

To Catch a Predator's 'low conviction rate' had nothing to do with entrapment and more to do with poo poo like plea deals. People only think entrapment is some rampant thing because every idiot who gets arrested in a sting shouts 'ENTRAPMENT'.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
Christmas Fails (December 2016) || FailArmy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZavJz9LuFVk
I always love some christmas themed fail.

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.

Two Feet From Bread posted:

Is there a reasonable expectation that the hood of a vehicle is something that a reasonable person would a) jump on or b) sit on?

Yes, because the whole thing is clearly staged and the driver knows what the jumping guy is trying to slide across.

Would or could doing either or a combination of said actions damage the vehicle?

It doesn't matter, because the jumping guy is the plaintiff.

Would it be a reasonable action for the driver of the vehicle to move the vehicle in order to prevent the vehicle form a) being damaged b) prevent the vehicle from coming into contact with a person regardless of whether the person wants to come in contact with the vehicle?

No, because it's reasonably certain the jumping guy is going to fall on his rear end which constitutes battery.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
lotta armchair lawyers itt

quote:

Gun-loving conservative columnist accidentally killed after letting teen boy hold his firearm

M.D. Harmon, a conservative columnist who frequently wrote in favor of gun ownership rights for the Portland Press Herald, died this week after being accidentally shot by a teenage boy.

As the Press Herald itself reports, the 71-year-old Harmon was showing off one of his guns to a 16-year-old boy in his home in Sanford, Maine, on Wednesday. Harmon apparently let the teenager handle the weapon, which went off while the boy was holding it.

Both the teenager and his father were visiting Harmon for undisclosed reasons, and Harmon’s wife has called the shooting an “accidental tragedy.”

Harmon was a dedicated defender of gun ownership rights and would regularly rail against attempts to regulate firearms or even make the use of firearms safer.

In a 2013 column, for instance, Harmon attacked proposed legislation in Maine that would have required gun owners to take a firearm safety course — in fact, he referred to this section of the legislation as “the worst part of the bill.”

“So much for ‘the right of the people to keep and bear arms,” he wrote. “It’s one thing to have the government create limited groups of people not entitled to own firearms for good reasons — felons, the insane, children, etc. — and quite another to have the government think it can require that a free people get official permits to exercise their rights!”

He also criticized President Obama for issuing gun control “fatwas” that tried to mandate background checks at gun shows, as well as a ballot initiative that would have required gun sales to be processed through a federally licensed dealer.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Stex T posted:

No, because it's reasonably certain the jumping guy is going to fall on his rear end which constitutes battery.

But your Honor this guy made me hurt myself when he kept me from damaging his property through an intentional action on my part.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Why anyone would use an example of a cop locking someone in a room and them busting out as an example of entrapment is beyond me. That has to be the worst example of what isn't entrapment that I have ever heard. Congrats at describing a prison break as entrapment.

Man you are salty about a lot of stupid poo poo. It's a quick little example I had to use when explaining the concept to idiots I've arrested (and idiots I've worked with).

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

https://twitter.com/SBNationNBA/status/814658643605983232

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Atticus_1354 posted:

But your Honor this guy made me hurt myself when he kept me from damaging his property through an intentional action on my part.

There's a whole bunch of cases of people burglarizing homes or causing some kind of criminal mischief who got injured in the act and sued the people they were committing crimes against. A bunch of them ended up with damages being awarded to the injured criminal.
https://besteverawards.wordpress.com/2009/07/27/most-ridiculous-lawsuits-ever-ever/

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's a whole bunch of cases of people burglarizing homes or causing some kind of criminal mischief who got injured in the act and sued the people they were committing crimes against. A bunch of them ended up with damages being awarded to the injured criminal.
https://besteverawards.wordpress.com/2009/07/27/most-ridiculous-lawsuits-ever-ever/

FYI a majority of those ridiculous lawsuit stories either never happened at all or are exaggerated / lots of info left out to make them seem dumber than they actually are.

http://www.stellaawards.com/bogus.html

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Grem posted:

Man you are salty about a lot of stupid poo poo. It's a quick little example I had to use when explaining the concept to idiots I've arrested (and idiots I've worked with).

I remember reading years ago about how the demographic with the highest rate of "misunderstandings of the law" over "confidence in your understanding of the law" was police officers. Still fits today!

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Clitch posted:

Enough about kiddy-loving.
What's that, more about kiddy-loving you say? Two women called an Uber to drive them and their underage sex slave to a meeting with a client, discussing it pretty openly in front of the driver. They were quickly arrested.

http://www.kcra.com/article/uber-driver-stops-child-sex-trafficking-in-elk-grove/8544016

quote:

Avila said the girl who rode next to him in the front seat appeared to be about 12 years old and was dressed in attire that was not age appropriate.

“She had a really short skirt," he described. "So, you could see all her legs, and it struck me as odd because she was so young and she was dressing like that."

Two women rode in the back. Elk Grove police identified them as 25-year-old Destiny Pettway and 31-year-old Maria Westley.

Avila said one of the women controlled the young girl, whom Elk Grove police describe as a 16-year-old runaway.

While the teenager’s attire caught Avila’s eye, he said it was the discussion between one of the women in the backseat and the girl in the front seat that caught his ear.

He said the woman in the back coached her for her hotel visit with a man identified as 20-year-old Disney Vang.

Avila said the woman told the girl, "'First thing you want to do is ask: Do you have any weapons? When you're hugging him, just ask, do you have any weapons? Pat him down. Pat him down while you're hugging him. Get the donation, first. Before you start touching him, going in there, get the donation first.'"
Guess they should have held out for one of those driverless Ubers. And Disney Vang probably isn't the Happiest Man in Elk Grove right now.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Stex T posted:

Yes, because the whole thing is clearly staged and the driver knows what the jumping guy is trying to slide across.

Couldn't possibly be that they saw someone, realized they were blocking the sidewalk and decided to back up to let them pass, I guess. I'd do the same thing in that situation because no part of me would be thinking "oh, they want to slide across the hood of my car like they do in the movies".

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Couldn't possibly be that they saw someone, realized they were blocking the sidewalk and decided to back up to let them pass, I guess. I'd do the same thing in that situation because no part of me would be thinking "oh, they want to slide across the hood of my car like they do in the movies".

I'm reading it as driver and jumping guy are friends, and driver tells jumper to slide across the hood for the camera, and driver then backs up for comedy's sake.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Garrand posted:

FYI a majority of those ridiculous lawsuit stories either never happened at all or are exaggerated / lots of info left out to make them seem dumber than they actually are.

The internet has lied to me yet again!! :argh:

Have a 'Thieves caught red handed compilation' video instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROyLMR0hsaE

Edit: I just watched a few of those compilations in a row and it gets kinda sad and depressing :smith:

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 11:38 on Dec 30, 2016

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

That dude had so much meat!

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Edit: I just watched a few of those compilations in a row and it gets kinda sad and depressing :smith:

The amount of stuff people can cram down their pants is often staggering.

also some of those clips were pretty cut and dry cases of entrapment.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

oh dope posted:

One time when I was a kid I got my head entrapped by the banister at my friend's house

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

watch this one, now and forever the greatest thief caught in the act video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VaexS3tKYk

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Slugnoid posted:

I'm glad at the end someone indeed brought him pants.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Any time a baby boomer dies, even one I like, I think, that's a-ok

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Slugnoid posted:

17 years martial experience for a fatass to sit on a dude.

Good Freude though, that cop at the end knew what he was doing

BovineFury
Oct 28, 2007
I moo for great justice!
I can make it, I can make it.
https://youtu.be/VEnniDMeY8I

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

BovineFury posted:

I can make it, I can make it.
https://youtu.be/VEnniDMeY8I

I remember reading about why animals like squirrels and deer always jump in front of oncoming vehicles even if they can see them coming. If I remember correctly, against predators they've learned to run in front of the incoming cougar or wolf because it catches the predator off-guard and often causes them to overshoot and have to turn around, while simply turning and running away immediately lets the chaser stay on their tail and potentially catch up.

Of course, they just react as if oncoming cars are just predators chasing them. And they unfortunately aren't quite fast enough to cut in front of a BMW going at 75 MPH.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Devor posted:

One time when I was a kid I got my head entrapped by the banister at my friend's house

That's clearly the back of a school-desk :colbert:

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4_r3haQ1Bk

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

oh dope posted:

I like the guy who doesn't work at WalMart just threatening another person in the store because he's pretty sure she's shoplifting.

"I don't work for walmart, I don't have to follow their policies. I'll hold you down if I have to!"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Baron von Eevl posted:

I like the guy who doesn't work at WalMart just threatening another person in the store because he's pretty sure she's shoplifting.

"I don't work for walmart, I don't have to follow their policies. I'll hold you down if I have to!"

Honestly, what is wrong with that guy.

Even when I worked at a chain grocery, I let people steal whatever they could carry cause it was usually obviously poor or homeless people & who am I to mess with their dinner plans? That guy doesn't even get paid and does it anyway.

Also I'm not a snitch.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Powaqoatse posted:

Honestly, what is wrong with that guy.

Even when I worked at a chain grocery, I let people steal whatever they could carry cause it was usually obviously poor or homeless people & who am I to mess with their dinner plans? That guy doesn't even get paid and does it anyway.

Also I'm not a snitch.

When I was on line at Walmart one day, I got to see a customer throw a complete fit and demand the manager because somebody else shoplifted. Apparently he saw someone put on a cheap hat that was near the checkout and leave, and he was absolutely furious that nobody stopped this guy. A lot of, "well, maybe I should just steal something since you obviously don't care" type comments.

I think some people just don't like when others get away with things they couldn't or wouldn't do.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

TVs Ian posted:

When I was on line at Walmart one day, I got to see a customer throw a complete fit and demand the manager because somebody else shoplifted. Apparently he saw someone put on a cheap hat that was near the checkout and leave, and he was absolutely furious that nobody stopped this guy. A lot of, "well, maybe I should just steal something since you obviously don't care" type comments.

I think some people just don't like when others get away with things they couldn't or wouldn't do.

Some variant of crab mentality I'm sure.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Crab mentality, and Just World belief;bad people get what they deserve, thus anybody that wasn't punished is innocent and anybody punished must be bad. So when they see someone that obviously did something bad get away with it their brains :psyboom:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The stores near me have no one in the store do anything but notify the police, who are waiting just outside the store just out of view, probably because of people like that.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

TVs Ian posted:

Ask me about splitting lanes on my motorcycle, getting to ride up to the front of the traffic pack at stoplights, and just how some people in cars feel about that.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

bobjr posted:

The stores near me have no one in the store do anything but notify the police, who are waiting just outside the store just out of view, probably because of people like that.

Maybe it's this:
https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-walmart-crime/ (it might try to reload to a 404, but just hit escape or whatever. Dumbass paywall)

Which is kinda schadenfreude on America for allowing a huge rear end business suck money from the government's teat.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tarantula posted:

Christmas Fails (December 2016) || FailArmy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZavJz9LuFVk
I always love some christmas themed fail.

At first I thought this was the peak:

But the sperg-rage at the end (starts 5:45) exceeds all expectations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Garrand posted:

I don't doubt almost all of those lawsuits are fake, but I remember a textbook detailing a case of a burglar suing a homeowner for injuries suffered during a break-in. That's not to say it happens, just that the planets aligned just long enough for one case to result in a ridiculous verdict that can now be referenced whenever anyone wants to bitch about our justice system.

I personally enjoy listening to 'Handel on the Law' for all the disappointed people who think they have lawsuits without actual monetary damages or who think 'pain and suffering' is still a thing you get without a whole lot of therapy and treatment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YdyIHWXFEg