Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

SRM posted:

Sounds like a tough matchup. However I can't look at that mat with unpainted buildings and not see this:

The hives of playtimus V were known for their vast teeming population of children. The Dark Angles occasionally recruited from the world during the early crusade, and at the outbreak of the Heresy moved to drive off the perfidious traitor ultramarines, who coveted the many young boys of the hives to serve as infantry for overthrowing the Emperor. Unfortunately tonight the dorks were unable to achieve their tactical objectives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Is there a guide somewhere that denotes what the different helm colours for UM mean?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Probably one of the old codexes, but

Yellow: Assault Marine
Blue: Devastator Marine (not that you can tell on UMs)
Red: Sergeant
White: Veteran

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Isn't that only for 40k?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Oh, wrong thread. Well, Red for sergeants is post-Calth at least, though I think all the others are post-Codex.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
check book 5, it should have the whole suite of layouts like the other books did for their legions.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Still can't use battlescribe 2 to add Demons into a 30k list... Sigh.

Playing a 2k 30k throw down today, should be mint.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

tallkidwithglasses posted:

I played a game tonight.

Did he take two squads of vets for troops and run pride? Because lamo if he did against your army.

SRM posted:

Thanks man, I was really worried the Terminator would look like he was falling over but I'm glad the pose reads well.

Sounds like a tough matchup. However I can't look at that mat with unpainted buildings and not see this:

Haha, I really want to play a game on that now

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

DJ Dizzy posted:

Is there a guide somewhere that denotes what the different helm colours for UM mean?

From Book 5:
Standard Legionaries: Blue
Sergeants: Blue with white stripe
Veteran Sergeants: Blue with white stripe and "Praetor" pattern helm, crest
Lieutenant: Blue with gold stripe, crest
Captain: Blue with gold stripe and gold laurels, crest
Vehicle crew: Blue with brass/bronze faceplate
Destroyer: Black
Destroyer Sergeant: Black with gold stripe
Terminator: Blue with gold trim
Terminator Sergeant: White with gold trim
Terminator Captain: Blue with gold trim and gold laurels

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

BULBASAUR posted:

Did he take two squads of vets for troops and run pride? Because lamo if he did against your army.

He did indeed. I baleeted one of the squads with a single round of shooting from my plasmas and honestly, the game had a chance of being very close if he hadn't gotten very lucky and one shotted both my Praetor and Caestus.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

PantsOptional posted:

From Book 5:
Standard Legionaries: Blue
Sergeants: Blue with white stripe
Veteran Sergeants: Blue with white stripe and "Praetor" pattern helm, crest
Lieutenant: Blue with gold stripe, crest
Captain: Blue with gold stripe and gold laurels, crest
Vehicle crew: Blue with brass/bronze faceplate
Destroyer: Black
Destroyer Sergeant: Black with gold stripe
Terminator: Blue with gold trim
Terminator Sergeant: White with gold trim
Terminator Captain: Blue with gold trim and gold laurels

I love that FW provides the uniform guide stuff like this, but Terminators with white helmets/sergeants with red and white helmets look so choice that I had to do them, even for my Heresy dudes.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

I love that FW provides the uniform guide stuff like this, but Terminators with white helmets/sergeants with red and white helmets look so choice that I had to do them, even for my Heresy dudes.
If anyone asks, all of your sergeants are rad dudes with no respect for the rules. :radcat:

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

SRM posted:

The best part is that they provide this guide, then on the next pages where they show the full-body shots they ignore the guides entirely.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
so since i decided to pursue imperial fists i've been looking at forge world bits and whatnot to make phalanx warders, terminators with vigil pattern storm shields, etc. and it looks like one of the issues of modeling 30k is finding things to replace bits forge world does not yet or will not make

point being, i plan to run somewhat terminator-heavy, and I want to give my termie squads assault cannons, but I don't see an iliastus assault cannon bit in the terminator weapon sprues on their site. what's the go-to bit then, the assault cannon in the 40k terminator box?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Patience is a virtue.

If you don't want to wait, do like everyone and use the fantastic rotor cannons. No one can tell the difference.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Mango Polo posted:

Patience is a virtue.

If you don't want to wait, do like everyone and use the fantastic rotor cannons. No one can tell the difference.

Those shields are so awful and gaudy and I want ten of them.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mango Polo posted:

Patience is a virtue.

aww shiiiiii

those shields are even ritzier than the 40k blood angels assault termies. superb

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I want a close up of those moritats!

v: :krad:, thanks!

ijyt fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 30, 2016

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

ijyt posted:

I want a close up of those moritats!

Da.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Belt fed pistols. What an age to be alive!

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I made a moritat out of a metal Cypher model, but I may have to scavenge that model's jump pack and power feeds.

I've run that dude twice now and he hasn't been worth his points at all. I run him with a plasma pistol and volkite serpenta. Last time I ran him I got a full 12 volkite hits. He did like 3 wounds once it was all said and done. The plasma pistol had rolled a 1 on its first shot, as expected. :v: This trend has me considering dual plasma, but I'm convinced that'll do even less damage somehow.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Those are hotter than a tau drone-speeder bike rider's bare blue rear end!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I wanted to interrupt the usual BULBASAUR low level poo poo posting program for a an effort post. I've been thinking a lot about Veteran Tactical squads- the optimal troops choice of the current meta. You can expect everybody to run these because they are flexible, undercosted, and you can tool them up to do about any job well. Troops choices have always been a legion weakness and most lists either 'pay the tax' or get around it by taking better choices through a ROW. Bottom line is that most people are running vets if they can.

For Iron Warriors, one option is the 'Golg' named character. He's an entirely forgettable praetor with a basic stat line, poor warlord trait, and nothing exceptional except making terminators compulsory troops choices without a rite of war. I dismissed him entirely, but now that I've been digging deep I think the terminator troops choice is pretty solid. Especially when paired with some ROWs.

Terminators come in two basic flavors. Tartaros and Cataphractii. One can run, sweep, and overwatch. The other has a 4++, but can't run or sweep. In a vacuum or if you want a deathstar or a tough objective camper the Cataphracts are usually the best option. However if we're strictly talking about troops replacements (IE: a troops choice that's going up against the other troop 3+ choices and semi-specialized units like, say, 2+ suzerains) then Tartaros is a good alternative because it can cut down anything it breaks and it can run to get into position faster.

At T4 BS4 2+ is about double resilient to death from massed bolter fire as 3+. It takes 18 shots for a terminator to fail a wound and 8 for a regular marine, so in terms of bolters (your common troop weapon) 2 marines ~= 1 terminator as a basic value prop. Basic tartaros terminators come with 2 basic attacks, power weapons, and a 5++ for 30 points a body and 35 up front. Here's how this stacks up against the competition in terms of up front costs:
  • Vets + Power Weapon = 30pts, exactly half the value of a tartaros terminator
  • Tacs + CCW = 14.5pts, which is a 1 point better value than a tartaros terminator
  • Assault + Shield = 20.5pts, which is about 63% the value of a tartaros terminator
So even the basic 5+ terminator armour, in terms of value for survivability, is a pretty good deal.

Certainly these aren't apples and oranges, but we can look at the advantages and disadvantages to see some of the depth. Vets get more attacks in close combat and veteran tactics, but will die to lightning claws before they can hurt a terminator if they charge the wrong unit. Both can take combi weapons- terminators cost less, but have lower volume of fire. Tacs are actually a better value by 1 point, but they have no power weapons, no combi weapons, and they will fold in melee. They can out-shoot a terminator by a large volume, but it's not enough to threaten a 2+ save. You need ~5 marines in rapid fire fury range to pop a single terminator. Assault squads get 5++ in melee and are faster with power weapons. Still, the number of power weapons is relatively low. The 5++ really helps them here, but if you are paired up against claws you stand to loose bodies before your axes swing. In this case the terminators can also out shoot you, and if they take plasma weapons, you are in trouble.

One final point to make- terminators have unique dedicated transport options- dreadclaws, proteus raiders, and spartans. Not being able to ride in a rhino is a bummer when you look at it in a vacuum, but when your basic troops are immune to everything except plasma and anti tank weaponry you might not need one. If you do, you can take two of the best choices without taking up a slot in your FOC. Giving them an apothacary (roughly the price of a rhino) also makes them easily survive all but the worst fire people will throw at them.

My conclusion is that, even in a pride list (and especially a Golg army) terminators are a pretty viable alternative and counter to vets. The 2+ save is just that huge, but the invuln and built in power weapon is just a really good deal. For campers or deathstars, 4++ is basically a no-brainer. A pimped out vet squad in an outflanking rhino is going to cost you almost as many points as proteus mounted terminators, which while less of a glass cannon, are an AV14 wall with a bunch of 2+ saves inside who don't loose VP if you loose them all. You can foot slog a big angry tartaros squad with an attached apothacary for about the same points. Less flexible without outflank for sure, but they can take heavy weapons and counter anything except a dedicated deathstar in melee. I think in the future I want to try running a pair of tartaros squads or one larger tartaros and one smaller cataphractii squad. The tartaros will get either swords or claws and target 3+ units who don't stand much of a chance. The cataphractii can get mounted up into something with fists/axes or just stand around the backfield scoring on something plinking away with an autocannon. There are other cool combos here with other legions, ROW, and characters (deep strike, alphas, SoH, foot slogging IHs, etc), but I wanted to just cover the basic case everyone has access to because I am a massive nerd.

:goonsay:

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 31, 2016

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Lol, just lol if you take infantry as troops choices.

Generally speaking though I agree with you about non-tac troops. Terminators are a surprisingly cost effective way to hold objectives in the backfield, and especially legions that can deep strike them, give them assault cannons, or give them shields should really always think about taking them over vets (imperial fist termies are probably absurd, huh?).

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

BULBASAUR posted:

TERMINATORS

:goonsay:

Lot of solid points there. Adding in my two cents:

*Emperor's Children in particular love Tartarus armor. The initiative bonuses their Legion rules get them grant them a consistent bonus (up to +3 with certain squads, depending on if the 'sergeant gets +1 to initiative in challenge' counts to a post-break sweep check) to Sweeping Assaults and the ability to just plain overwhelm a squad, break them, and sweep up the stragglers makes them excellent in removing other annoying squads off the board. Also, their signature Rite of War, the Maru Skara, allows them to (among others) outflank up the three Elite and/or fast attack choices, with the caveat that you're not allowed to take any Immobile or Slow and Purposeful models. Cataphractii aren't actually SnP but come drat close to it.

*Death Guard, o the other hand, like Cataphractii armor - the whole 'slower but immensely tougher' thing fits their theme of inevitable rolling death to a T. Sure, Cataphractii can't sweep, but they get a legionwide penalty to Sweeping Assault anyhow so it's not like they rely on that in the first place.

I play Death Guard and a friend of mine plays Emperor's Children. It makes for an interesting matchup with the complete opposite approaches to close combat - EC are the glass cannon 'strike them fast, strike them hard, overwhelm them with the alpha strike' army (especially when loaded up with phoenix power spears) while Death Guard are the 'slow bloody endurance grind' army. When he charges he basically has to rely on that first assault actually carrying through and crippling my dudes; if I can weather that first storm I'll grind him down during the next few assault phases.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Quality posts in the 30k thread :eyepop:

More seriously, that was a good read, thanks. With the overabundance of AP3, both terminator types kind of feel like what breachers should have been.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Generally speaking though I agree with you about non-tac troops. Terminators are a surprisingly cost effective way to hold objectives in the backfield, and especially legions that can deep strike them, give them assault cannons, or give them shields should really always think about taking them over vets (imperial fist termies are probably absurd, huh?).

Imperial Fist termies are absolutely absurd. I've got ten plastic tartaros here that are destined to be armed with TH/SS and teleporter transponders.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

TTerrible posted:

Imperial Fist termies are absolutely absurd. I've got ten plastic tartaros here that are destined to be armed with TH/SS and teleporter transponders.

Be ready to fight for your right to stormshield tartaros.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Mango Polo posted:

Be ready to fight for your right to stormshield tartaros.

Is this a controversial reading of the rules? :gonk:

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

TTerrible posted:

Is this a controversial reading of the rules? :gonk:

Plenty of dumbs-dumbs think that Tartaros don't get access to it because it's no longer a generic terminator armour.
Reality is, FW copy/pasted that poo poo from the old book into the new one and it's real obvious IMO that Tartaros get it at 15 points.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Mango Polo posted:

Plenty of dumbs-dumbs think that Tartaros don't get access to it because it's no longer a generic terminator armour.
Reality is, FW copy/pasted that poo poo from the old book into the new one and it's real obvious IMO that Tartaros get it at 15 points.

Ah yeah, I've just had a look. I won't be playing with anyone with that particular strain of brain damage. :downs:

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
TH/SS termies that can sweep your rear end are loving terrifying.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I'm still really feeling my way out in 30k and I have no idea how to equip my Calth Cataprachtii to use with my DG.

They seem like a ton of points for basically a bolter and fist.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

TKIY posted:

I'm still really feeling my way out in 30k and I have no idea how to equip my Calth Cataprachtii to use with my DG.

They seem like a ton of points for basically a bolter and fist.

Do they have a dedicated transport? A mix of Power Fists and Lightning Claws and combi-weapons.

Are they marching across the field? Plasma Blaster/Reaper Autocannon and Power Fists/Lightning Claws.

This came up just last night. My foot-slogging Justaerin had combi-weapons and a Multi-Melta and never shot them, while Stanyer89's terminators were in a Storm Eagle and would've benefited tremendously from having combi-plasma.

Either way you're going to want to spring for the Melee weapon upgrades, being able to drop instant death wounds is crucial, and single lightning claws are still really good for letting you attack at initiative, being AP3, and having Shred.

The only time I would keep terminators barebones is if I was doing like a suicide melta squad that was Deep Striking.

panascope fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 31, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

These are 100% :krad:

Oh man, I really love how the monochromatic Raven Guard color scheme makes those red boltguns really pop out of the front there. On most speederbikes I can barely notice the guns because I'm so busy looking at the engine, but they really jump out here. Looks wild.

Or... those are Dark Angels aren't they?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Or... those are Dark Angels aren't they?

Well let's see.

Black armour? Check.
White wings? Check.
Gotta go fast? Check.

They're Raven Guard, of course.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
They're Death Guard.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Actually theyre my own custom rules for II legion :goonsay:

Nah, they're dork angles and they rule.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Got to play my 30k Death Guard again! This game was against my friend's Harlequin list, and I absolutely demolished that band of entertainers. Anything that tried to advance on me was met with withering autocannon fire and shredding missile launchers (thank you, World Burner trait). Going to celebrate while I can, since I am almost certain he's going to bring his Tau next time. Thinking it might be time to pick up a Rapier Quad Mortar...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

TTerrible posted:

They're Death Guard.

Looks like Iron Hands to me