Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Look! A Horse! posted:

I'm guessing FYAD just had to barely tolerate him or can you mod sass more over there?

He was broadly tolerated at first because he'd dig up funny poo poo about people and had an exhaustive knowledge of everyone on the forums. In much the same way you'd tolerate the milk smelling neckbreather when you were 10 because he had all the Nintendo games and his mom made good snacks, motherfuckers would tolerate Abe's unfunny me-too nonsense so long's he kept the doxx flowing.

Then Lowtax woke up from his pill slumber and did his usual routine of "Oh we need a mod? This guy's posted a ton and been banned not much, he must be okay" and suddenly it was The Abe Show. Look dudes, Abenotes! Abe challenges! Every thread must meet the Abe Standard of Abesellence or else receive zAnY pUnIsHmEnTs. And you couldn't tell him to gently caress off because he was thin skinned and some kind of eidetic sperg of hurt feelings so he'd roll with the punches and then you'd be snap banned for forgetting a comma in an unrelated post eight days later.

It's a sad truth of forum moderation, Internet wide, that the very people who do it are the very people who should not. If it was 2005 and people still gave a gently caress about forums you bet your rear end I'd be starting a business offering guaranteed non-crazy non-egomaniac non-paedo moderators for hire.

Anyway, anyone else remember that time Fistgrrl's psycho ex boyfriend registered and started threatening people? That was weird. I was 15 and he actually found my phone number and threatened to stab me because he thought I was moving in on his 30 something computer lady ex missus. Also mobn the superchunky ninja not exercising because he had a leg pimple and it turned him into a woman? That poo poo was weird as well.

Disgusting Coward has a new favorite as of 07:00 on Dec 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ghostlight posted:

I think that has more to do with the rest of his rap sheet.

Sorry I meant more along the 'other people getting banned' part than the subject matter, I don't know anything about that.

Although the person that OldTennisCourt was talking about is different I think... there was a biker who got very handsy (or possibly more) with a girl goon and she posted about it herself.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
gas thread; ban OP

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Disgusting Coward posted:

mobn the superchunky ninja not exercising because he had a leg pimple and it turned him into a woman? That poo poo was weird as well.

That's a new one on me. Anyone got a link to that?

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
It's a bit further back in the thread, but the thing about pokemon LPs being banned for ages (unless you're that one chick who spammed her LPs full of lovely art i guess?) was due to some dude writing himself into pokemon dungeon 2 as a self-insert since the game has a "you've turned into a pokemon" storyline.

Later it turned out the dude had recently found out he had cancer and wasn't thinking straight at all, honestly the whole thing kinda made me feel more sad than anything else because i always thought the dude was super nice and chill every time he posted and he just ended up getting dogpiled and had no idea how to deal with it. Dude kept apologizing repeatedly to the people making GBS threads on him and it was kinda just pure :smith: to watch.
They can't all be winners i guess :shrug:

of course crumbunist is on the second page enjoying the show :allears:

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

I Said No posted:

Later it turned out the dude had recently found out he had cancer and wasn't thinking straight at all, honestly the whole thing kinda made me feel more sad than anything else because i always thought the dude was super nice and chill every time he posted and he just ended up getting dogpiled and had no idea how to deal with it. Dude kept apologizing repeatedly to the people making GBS threads on him and it was kinda just pure :smith: to watch.

I didn't know this, and never actually read that thread—I was just making assumptions based on its reputation. :smith:

I think around the same time there was also just a proliferation of low-effort Pokémon LPs. The LPs by Chocorojo (the one exempt from the rule, who drew all the fanart) I remember as being pretty good, but I also remember having to scroll through pages and pages of white noise posts in between updates. But that's the case with every ultra-popular LP I guess.

Rollersnake has a new favorite as of 10:53 on Dec 30, 2016

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

I Said No posted:

It's a bit further back in the thread, but the thing about pokemon LPs being banned for ages (unless you're that one chick who spammed her LPs full of lovely art i guess?) was due to some dude writing himself into pokemon dungeon 2 as a self-insert since the game has a "you've turned into a pokemon" storyline.

The LP Subforum can be super weird about poo poo like that. I mean some of the stuff that's still archived even have really weird stuff going on like people inventing entire storylines in the middle of a game. But then sometimes people just decide one particular LP is a straw too far. A while ago a guy playing a megaman game faked an entire cutscene and people immediately started spreading it across various wikis and poo poo before he revealed the truth. Then people got mad at him for calling a boss a human being. :shrug:

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Install SALR, click the "?" under the OPs avatar.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Kerbtree posted:

Install SALR, click the "?" under the OPs avatar.

That's built-in

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
The way I understand it, it was a combination of factors that led to the pokeban in LP. Like yes, there was the weird and bad self insert fanfiction narratives (and writing Narrative Fiction for your LP can be fine. Look at the work of Chokes Mcgee in the archive for instance) but also because it became a de riguer :effort: thing where you'd have people registering and then plopping down their gen 1 lp treating it like nobody had ever seen the game before, and it was starting to flood things.

It's gotten a lot more relaxed again in the last few years, but for a while the contrast between SA quality and youtube dumps like PDP or whomever kinda went to our heads, and there was a lot of strict attitudes about how to do things and back seat modding and elitism going on.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Although the person that OldTennisCourt was talking about is different I think... there was a biker who got very handsy (or possibly more) with a girl goon and she posted about it herself.

Definitely a different person, the biker dude that OTC is talking about was on a cross country trip and crashing on various goons' couches until it was revealed that he'd assaulted one of them. GI Joe Dirtbag was just a homeless piece of poo poo who repaid a goon's kindness with sexual assault.

Look! A Horse!
Feb 10, 2010
Is lowtax still bitter about not getting a cut of that sweet LP money? i seem to remember a bitter tweet a while back

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Look! A Horse! posted:

I'm reading this great thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3048978&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Tl:DR TenementFunster calls out a literal rapist, Fragmaster bans everyone involved because we don't know what happened and we can't have any rape accusations flying around. Classic posters, homegroan, legal threats; this thread has it all folks

quote:

PERMABAN 01/05/09 09:22pm ZBT Hey thanks for joining today to post some drama. That was a poor decision, but probably as not as bad as inviting a guy named "GI JOE DIRTBAG" into your house. I am glad you didn't get raped though, take care!! Fragmaster Fragmaster

hmm

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

there was a girl a couple of years ago in GBS who got banned for being raped but I can't remember the details

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Look! A Horse! posted:

I'm reading this great thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3048978&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Tl:DR TenementFunster calls out a literal rapist, Fragmaster bans everyone involved because we don't know what happened and we can't have any rape accusations flying around. Classic posters, homegroan, legal threats; this thread has it all folks

Holy poo poo this was a glorious read, you was not kidding with the content, and the way everyone turned against Fragmaster was amazing. He really made dumb decisions in that thread.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Was this the same goon who took his motorcycle to the very tip of Alaska? I loved that thread, sad to think he was raping people the whole time.

I didn't think he went that far, but he did take a couple long trips that he posted trip journals of. He also worked in Antarctica and had some threads about that.

The goon he assaulted is now sort of famous in the internet motorcycle world for her big adventures, the biggest of which began at about the tip of Alaska.

Tsaven Nava still uses the same name elsewhere on the internet and posts about creeping on women he meets during his travels.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

quote:

Type Date Horrible Jerk Punishment Reason Requested By Approved By
PERMABAN 01/05/09 09:22pm ZBT Hey thanks for joining today to post some drama. That was a poor decision, but probably as not as bad as inviting a guy named "GI JOE DIRTBAG" into your house. I am glad you didn't get raped though, take care!! Fragmaster Fragmaster

BTW here's the post that got ZBT (the actual victim of the sexual assault) permabanned:

ZBT posted:

To clarify some things, as I was actually there:

- He did pay bills, but only after we yelled at him about it for the thousanth time.
- He also ate everything in our house. What took me and myrtar two months to eat, took Dirtbag two days.
- I'm pretty sure he washed his towel once in the time he was here. Once.
- The quote was, "Do you trust me? You trust me, right?" which was spoken before he proceeded to tell me what an incredible woman I was and how awesome I was and how soft I was. I now sleep with a gun on my nightstand.
- The hand on the crotch was made ever more poignant by the fact that he had a boner at the time. A boner from throwing himself on a girl so drunk that her means of communication, before the realization that she had a fat ogre forcing himself on her, were grunts.

Nice.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Snow Cone Capone has a new favorite as of 16:33 on Dec 30, 2016

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Also I don't quite remember if there was any other Fragmaster fuckery going around at the time but he stepped down as an Admin less than a month after that thread happened and I'm pretty sure that thread was the main reason

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Nuebot posted:

The LP Subforum can be super weird about poo poo like that. I mean some of the stuff that's still archived even have really weird stuff going on like people inventing entire storylines in the middle of a game. But then sometimes people just decide one particular LP is a straw too far. A while ago a guy playing a megaman game faked an entire cutscene and people immediately started spreading it across various wikis and poo poo before he revealed the truth. Then people got mad at him for calling a boss a human being. :shrug:

My favorite LP subforum/archive drama revolves around two now-deleted Final Fantasy VIII LPs. The first one was from Leovinus who made his LP waaaay back in 2006. I remember people saying that it was pretty influential in creating a dedicated LP subforum, and I think and a lot of screenshot LPers copied his style. But then at some point he wanted to redo it for some reason, asked the archive to take down his old LP, but then he had a huge meltdown and never completed the new one.

The other LP was by Azure Horizon, which got wiped from the archive after he outed himself as a literal rapist.

EDIT: Honestly, the goon I'm most surprised hasn't had a super-meltdown thread is thedarkid, since he's always LPing games rife with :wtc: moments, that it's amazing that none of his threads got gassed from a goon saying something like "well actually the sympathetic pederast is frequently represented in classic Japanese literature like Tenchy Muyo and I think we can all learn a lesson from...:tvtropes:"

SirPhoebos has a new favorite as of 18:23 on Dec 30, 2016

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Thedarkid is really good about moderating his own threads, and is quick to close them between updates if the conversation gets too creepy. And it does, because it must.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Thedarkid's Resident Evil 4 LP should be read by everyone. Even if you're not a fan of the game or LP's.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
A Dark Id thread that doesn't get locked at least twice is scarcely a Dark Id thread at all.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Choco1980 posted:

The way I understand it, it was a combination of factors that led to the pokeban in LP. Like yes, there was the weird and bad self insert fanfiction narratives (and writing Narrative Fiction for your LP can be fine. Look at the work of Chokes Mcgee in the archive for instance) but also because it became a de riguer :effort: thing where you'd have people registering and then plopping down their gen 1 lp treating it like nobody had ever seen the game before, and it was starting to flood things.

It's gotten a lot more relaxed again in the last few years, but for a while the contrast between SA quality and youtube dumps like PDP or whomever kinda went to our heads, and there was a lot of strict attitudes about how to do things and back seat modding and elitism going on.

elitism about lps

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Kelp Me! posted:

BTW here's the post that got ZBT (the actual victim of the sexual assault) permabanned:

quote:

ZBT posted:

To clarify some things, as I was actually there:

- He did pay bills, but only after we yelled at him about it for the thousanth time.
- He also ate everything in our house. What took me and myrtar two months to eat, took Dirtbag two days.
- I'm pretty sure he washed his towel once in the time he was here. Once.
- The quote was, "Do you trust me? You trust me, right?" which was spoken before he proceeded to tell me what an incredible woman I was and how awesome I was and how soft I was. I now sleep with a gun on my nightstand.
- The hand on the crotch was made ever more poignant by the fact that he had a boner at the time. A boner from throwing himself on a girl so drunk that her means of communication, before the realization that she had a fat ogre forcing himself on her, were grunts.

Nice.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

lol at sa moderation

e: wait, myrtar?

btw, he was just a regular janitor and didn't work at nasa

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

wait, myrtar?

[/quote]

But he was a prepared janitor.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

lol at sa moderation

[/quote]

this image never fails to make me laugh

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I used to make (off site, screenshot) LPs and I still don't understand why anyone reads LPs

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

lol at sa moderation

this image never fails to make me laugh
[/quote]

he photoshopped the wall so that it would look seamless

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Hogge Wild posted:

he photoshopped the wall so that it would look seamless

seriously the best part. I would have never noticed if someone hadn't pointed it out last time it was posted

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I'm curious exactly how the bombshell "it turns out he was a pedophile etc" things happen. Are they so shameless they don't bother to hide the fact? Because you'd think someone with that kind of record probably wouldn't want people on the Internet to know their real name, yet when these folks get doxxed it turns out they met other posters in RL and didn't bother giving an alias, use the same /similar user names in other forums, etc.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
People are real dumb about internet security.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

infosec is hard

Even if you don't meet in person & try to compartmentalize everything, you'll probably still have posted an email in a thread somewhere & used the same email for something else with an alias that you use several other places etc until your 90s livejournal turns up with a dozen pages of buttcake erotica or some such

Also some of this stuff is from before doxxing was really a thing. It wasn't really until helldump & internet detectivery & 4chan became things that it became so prevalent

e: there's some talk about internet detectivery/doxxing here itt: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3784826&perpage=40&pagenumber=69#post467010744

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 20:10 on Dec 30, 2016

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

What are the details of the Pokeban? Was it any specific LP that led to the ban?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

SirPhoebos posted:

What are the details of the Pokeban? Was it any specific LP that led to the ban?

It was more like there were dozens of people doing low effort lps of any of the dozens of pokemon games as well as rom hacks and the forums were choked with them.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I used to make (off site, screenshot) LPs and I still don't understand why anyone reads LPs

get to see games I'll never get around to playing

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Tbh the occasional Pokemon LP slips in, but it generally isn't bad and has some sort of gimmick. Like DJB's "gotta catch em all" red LP 2 years back. Though at this point gently caress LP elitism. Just do a good job showing off the game.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It was easy to get attention with a Pokemon lp since the series is so popular and there are lots of ways to get readers involved, like nicknames and which pokemon to use. Not to mention all the challenge rules like nuzlocke runs and stuff. So a lot of people did them just because they were guaranteed to get a lot of readers and probably a gold thread just because it was pokemon.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

SirPhoebos posted:

Choco1980 posted:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Panfilo posted:

I'm curious exactly how the bombshell "it turns out he was a pedophile etc" things happen. Are they so shameless they don't bother to hide the fact? Because you'd think someone with that kind of record probably wouldn't want people on the Internet to know their real name, yet when these folks get doxxed it turns out they met other posters in RL and didn't bother giving an alias, use the same /similar user names in other forums, etc.

Aatrek was found out because he moderated a Star Trek site as well using the same username and they had like a bio section for their mods that had their usernames listed along with their real names. Someone at SS googled the name and one of the results was his entry in the sex offender registry. It's almost shocking how little he tried to hide it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Aatrek was found out because he moderated a Star Trek site as well using the same username and they had like a bio section for their mods that had their usernames listed along with their real names. Someone at SS googled the name and one of the results was his entry in the sex offender registry. It's almost shocking how little he tried to hide it.

i thought that they checked who owned the site