Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Nuebot posted:

Anyway, something that drags games down for me right now is console exclusivity. Especially console exclusive games on consoles I don't have or don't want to play anymore.

This but with lost odyssey for the 360. It really hit the sweet spot of timesink jrpg with good battles for me and I'd love to play it on PC. The short stories were great too. Haven't found any good jrpgs to play on pc, and my xbox is on another continent now :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Oh god I want to play and finish Lost Odyssey. I got like 40 hours in and then red ringed.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
It has the weirdest loving minigames. "Participate in a funeral rite" is not what I´d pick to be a minigame, but I can't say that the game didn't have some great moments.

Let down by the incredibly poo poo villain though. I kept hoping that they'd suddenly reveal that, actually, there's someone you can take seriously that's the bad guy, not the ginger menace.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

It has the weirdest loving minigames. "Participate in a funeral rite"

Press F to Pay Respects

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
The villain was brutal, but it had some good writing and a few moments that made me laugh. Really liked the battle system. Are there any decent games like that on PC? I've played trails in the sky, but it didn't really grab me.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The worst bit of console exclusivity is that I can get Rogue Squadron on Steam, but not Rogue Squadron 2. The original is great, but the sequel is a top-10 all time game for me and my brother ended up with my GameCube.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It is a behemoth of a download but, if you're interested, Lost Odyssey is free till the 31 on Xbox right now.

It is, however, 16.18GBs of data.

https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Lost-Odyssey/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024d5307fa

I dunno if you guys have picked up new copies already or not but since it came up might as well mention it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

RareAcumen posted:

It is a behemoth of a download but, if you're interested, Lost Odyssey is free till the 31 on Xbox right now.

It is, however, 16.18GBs of data.

https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Lost-Odyssey/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024d5307fa

I dunno if you guys have picked up new copies already or not but since it came up might as well mention it.

I will probably never play it but sure why not

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I was randomly started thinking about this: I HATE the build-up levels to the first heist in GTAV. They are SO STUPID AND BORING AND LONG-- feel like they're a waste of time. I love the rest of the game, but really, taking like an hour of play time to climb up some stupid poo poo and take a picture, and also drive across the map twice!

GTA related: in 4: no checkpoints in original game. gently caress this forever, Driving the dudes across the city every time if you fail a mission i.e. you die (and specifically that bank mission)--that drive is like 20 minutes long blah blah "C4; PE4" I DONT CARE!

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Thin Privilege posted:

GTA related: in 4: no checkpoints in original game. gently caress this forever, Driving the dudes across the city every time if you fail a mission i.e. you die (and specifically that bank mission)--that drive is like 20 minutes long blah blah "C4; PE4" I DONT CARE!

That's stirred up a long repressed memory from Vice City. There's a series of missions leading up to a heist where you have to recruit the various partners you'll need. The safecracker and gunman are both perfectly normal missions. The driver is a complete bitch because he insists that you need to be a better driver than him for him to work with you. Motherfucker, what do I need with you if I'm a better driver? So you have to do a race through the streets against him, and of course he drives loving PERFECTLY. I lost track of how many times I had to to redo that mission before finally beating the little poo poo. But that's not the worst part. I could have coped with that. The worst part is that he drives the car up to the bank, jumps out and starts shooting at the cops, who gun him down. So you have to drive the getaway car yourself, completely defeating the point of recruiting the supposedly great driver. Motherfuckers.

Oh, and the swimming stat in San Andreas that locks half the game away until you've swum several miles, even though there's no reason to go swimming. Rockstar are the luckiest sons of bitches on the planet because I have no idea why people swallow their bullshit.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Hitman 2016 is an amazing game. And I love the idea of 1 try only Elusive Contracts. But the limited time window to do them is really kinda stupid.

Nothing like buying the full version of the game after the season is done to see all the content you can't do.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Sunswipe posted:

That's stirred up a long repressed memory from Vice City. There's a series of missions leading up to a heist where you have to recruit the various partners you'll need. The safecracker and gunman are both perfectly normal missions. The driver is a complete bitch because he insists that you need to be a better driver than him for him to work with you. Motherfucker, what do I need with you if I'm a better driver? So you have to do a race through the streets against him, and of course he drives loving PERFECTLY. I lost track of how many times I had to to redo that mission before finally beating the little poo poo. But that's not the worst part. I could have coped with that. The worst part is that he drives the car up to the bank, jumps out and starts shooting at the cops, who gun him down. So you have to drive the getaway car yourself, completely defeating the point of recruiting the supposedly great driver. Motherfuckers.

Oh, and the swimming stat in San Andreas that locks half the game away until you've swum several miles, even though there's no reason to go swimming. Rockstar are the luckiest sons of bitches on the planet because I have no idea why people swallow their bullshit.

I gave up on the driver and put in that code where cars start to fly if they go too fast. gently caress you rear end in a top hat now you're in the air.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Len posted:

I gave up on the driver and put in that code where cars start to fly if they go too fast. gently caress you rear end in a top hat now you're in the air.

I cheated and slowed time down so I could guide my car perfectly and beat him. it's the only time I cheated to beat a story mission.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
E: ^^^ Oh god now I'm remembering that mission too!

I have a feeling I've bitched about this before, but I really don't like when survival/crafting/exploring games don't let you toggle the survival stuff.

Like, I generally love Subnautica, but sometimes I wish I could flick a toggle and not have to worry about food/water for an hour so I can casually explore stuff without worrying if I have enough food and water with me. Sure, I can have an entirely different save where they don't matter, but I'd enjoy things more if I could have one save that can be both.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Sunswipe posted:

It's like a 'nam flashback. I can remember it so loving vividly.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

MisterBibs posted:

E: ^^^ Oh god now I'm remembering that mission too!

I have a feeling I've bitched about this before, but I really don't like when survival/crafting/exploring games don't let you toggle the survival stuff.

Like, I generally love Subnautica, but sometimes I wish I could flick a toggle and not have to worry about food/water for an hour so I can casually explore stuff without worrying if I have enough food and water with me. Sure, I can have an entirely different save where they don't matter, but I'd enjoy things more if I could have one save that can be both.

Subnautica has console commands for exactly that purpose—turn it on by hitting F3 (iirc) and checking the debug mode button, then just plug 'freedom' in for no meters and 'survival' for meters.

HookedOnChthonics has a new favorite as of 22:24 on Dec 30, 2016

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I skipped The Driver on the Xbox version of Vice City. I aced it on my second attempt on the iPad version (with touchscreen controls!) :shrug:

I didn't have problems with the toy chopper mission either. In fact I 100%ed the iPad version. I guess it somehow was less stressful not playing on the big television in our living room.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
All this subnautica talk reminds me of a cute though slow paced diving sim on the PS2 called Everblue, where you gradually built up your equipment as the story progressed to be able to move further and further afield. Had some cute sidequests but one was nearly impossible if you made a particular mistake - one of the sidequests is a race around a sunken boat, but if you upgrade to a certain set of flippers it is almost impossible to control well enough to get around the corners due to going too fast. There is no way to don older equipment to compensate, just "Good luck!"

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Mierenneuker posted:

I skipped The Driver on the Xbox version of Vice City. I aced it on my second attempt on the iPad version (with touchscreen controls!) :shrug:

I didn't have problems with the toy chopper mission either. In fact I 100%ed the iPad version. I guess it somehow was less stressful not playing on the big television in our living room.

The toy chopper mission was changed in re-releases so the fuel wouldn't be consumed if you weren't actively using the throttle so you could go longer. Don't know if the driver was ever changed though.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
just a minor thing for me about overwatch:

i think the cooldown for mccree's dodge roll is a couple seconds too long. i get that if it's on too short of a timer everyone would be rolling everywhere like gears of war multiplayer, but it feels really situational as a thing. i think it should be maybe a couple seconds longer than d.va's boosters.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Action Tortoise posted:

just a minor thing for me about overwatch:

i think the cooldown for mccree's dodge roll is a couple seconds too long. i get that if it's on too short of a timer everyone would be rolling everywhere like gears of war multiplayer, but it feels really situational as a thing. i think it should be maybe a couple seconds longer than d.va's boosters.

maybe, but its pretty crap as a repositioning tool but the real reason to roll is that it instantly reloads his gun, so you need to have the roll timer at least a bit longer than it takes to empty it otherwise people would never actually reload

I suppose you could remove the reload from the roll and make it an actual useful dodge in which case a lower cooldown would be alright probably

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Mazerunner posted:

maybe, but its pretty crap as a repositioning tool but the real reason to roll is that it instantly reloads his gun, so you need to have the roll timer at least a bit longer than it takes to empty it otherwise people would never actually reload

I suppose you could remove the reload from the roll and make it an actual useful dodge in which case a lower cooldown would be alright probably

oh poo poo, really?!

gently caress, i've been using it as an oh poo poo maneuver whenever dudes got too close to me.

to me, he's been one of the odder choices of class. i've been trying to compare each character with what tf2 character they could have used as a basis and the best i got was if someone designed an entire class around an ambi spy.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Action Tortoise posted:

oh poo poo, really?!

gently caress, i've been using it as an oh poo poo maneuver whenever dudes got too close to me.

to me, he's been one of the odder choices of class. i've been trying to compare each character with what tf2 character they could have used as a basis and the best i got was if someone designed an entire class around an ambi spy.

It's one of the main reasons I'm a terrible McCree. One of the things you need to do is get rid of your built-in FPS reflex to actually reload when you're out of bullets during a firefight and use the roll instead. One of his best uses is as a tank killer up close, which generally relies on flashbang > fan the hammer > roll > fan the hammer.

Also I can't aim worth a drat which doesn't help.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

His right-click/Fan The Hammer used to do way more damage to the point he could fan > dodge > fan and delete tanks.

They had to make his left-click a lot better at range as a compensation for the right-click nerf. Which they overdid and it temporarily made him a better sniper than the actual snipers, oops.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 00:14 on Dec 31, 2016

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Sunswipe posted:

Am I the only one who just parked a tank in the path of the cars before starting the mission and murdered them all by letting them drive into it? Was there another way to do it? Was I using cheats and I just can't remember

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mierenneuker posted:

His right-click/Fan The Hammer used to do way more damage to the point he could fan > dodge > fan and delete tanks.

They had to make his left-click a lot better at range as a compensation for the right-click nerf. Which they overdid and it temporarily made him a better sniper than the actual snipers, oops.

Considering how much everyone seems to hate snipers though, it's a weird thing to find as a flaw.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Am I the only one who just parked a tank in the path of the cars before starting the mission and murdered them all by letting them drive into it? Was there another way to do it? Was I using cheats and I just can't remember

how did you get the tank in the first place? did you get a 6-star just to have a tank and then leave it there for the mission?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

It's one of the main reasons I'm a terrible McCree. One of the things you need to do is get rid of your built-in FPS reflex to actually reload when you're out of bullets during a firefight and use the roll instead. One of his best uses is as a tank killer up close, which generally relies on flashbang > fan the hammer > roll > fan the hammer.

Also I can't aim worth a drat which doesn't help.

i like stunning then going for a point blank headshot for most of the weaker classes. meatier guys require more attempts at fanning when i play, especially guys who have their own healing methods.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Action Tortoise posted:

how did you get the tank in the first place? did you get a 6-star just to have a tank and then leave it there for the mission?

Garages in Vice City were quite flexible. I squeezed an attack helicopter in one! It made vigilante missions much easier.

Stealing it was quite the task however, since aiming the minigun was really hard on the iPad. It made it hard to cut down the army forces and not blow up the chopper in the process.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 00:36 on Dec 31, 2016

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

RagnarokAngel posted:

The toy chopper mission was changed in re-releases so the fuel wouldn't be consumed if you weren't actively using the throttle so you could go longer. Don't know if the driver was ever changed though.

I think it was, when I replayed that mission on the PC version of Vice city it seemed a billion times easier.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

You might be thinking of a different mission. If I remember right The Driver was a 1 vs 1 race, and it started with a short cutscene outside the nightclub, by a small bridge. Anything that parked where it would be visible in the cut scene would be despawned (at least on the PS2) presumably because the cut scene was in-engine, when the cut scene ended the 3 count to start the race began. So the tactic of "park something in front of your opponents" didnt work well, to prevent it despawning you had to park it a fair distance ahead of the start (where the camera wouldnt catch it in the cut scene) so he could just drive round it. My other standard tactic of "shoot out the opponents tires before the race" didnt work well either because until you started the race his car didnt exist so you couldnt tamper with it. You also couldnt drive-by him because you were trying to recruit him so if he died mission failed. My other early-gta race tactic of "turn up in a better car" wasnt workable because when you started the race you spawned in the shitbox it wanted you to drive.

I remember checking a guide somewhere (probably gamefaqs, this was a long time ago) and it recommended that as soon as the race started you jump out of your car, switch to an accurate gun with some range and take out his tires as he drove off. Except by the time you got out he was a fair distance ahead and moving at speed so you'd have to be a much better shot that I was to manage that one. If he more than a turn ahead of you (with his tires intact) you had essentially lost as the game engine only spawned traffic near the player so he'd have nothing in his way and would drive a near-perfect racing line. I managed to fluke it eventually by keeping up with him long enough to edge him into oncoming traffic. A head on collision with a van pretty much wrecked him and I took the rest of the race at a canter.

I loved vice city but that mission was the absolute worst. As everyone else said, the fact that you had to be better at driving to recruit him as a driver was nonsensical, and the fact that during the robbery he'd die and you'd have to drive yourself anyway added insult to injury. And I think I wrote something almost identical to this in a long-ago version of this thread, but people posting about it has reminded me. It is possible I might be misremembering things, that mission put me off ever playing any of the rereleases.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
the best driving mission in vice city was the speed parody with love fist

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

ilmucche posted:

This but with lost odyssey for the 360. It really hit the sweet spot of timesink jrpg with good battles for me and I'd love to play it on PC. The short stories were great too. Haven't found any good jrpgs to play on pc, and my xbox is on another continent now :(

I love lost odyssey and am still really disappointed it never got ported to PC. The writing was really interesting and I loved the gameplay mechanic where your dudes would memorize equipment bonuses after a while.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Cleretic posted:

Hi. Australia, where rotting copper lines are still the standard, usage caps are still ubiquitous (and hit against hard now that Netflix exists) and since the policy to fix that got torpedoed will not improve. It's not fun!

EDIT: because this argument isn't fun for most people, I'm going to risk bringing back the last one and say that Star Wars is dragging down all Star Wars games. It's a shame it's the only one of the big sci-fi genres that gets good games with any degree of frequency, because it's not a very good setting unless you want to play a Jedi dvery time. I want to play a Jedi none of the time, personally.

Rogue Squadron is loving amazing and only sparingly mentions or includes Jedi (Mostly because Luke Skywalker).

Its too bad they sometimes cocked it up by making bad decisions such as:

Rogue Squadron 3 has a co-op mode... that allows you to play Rogue Squadron 2 splitscreen. No, you can't play Rogue Squadron 3's missions in Co-Op that's loving stupid. Also, the flight game has on-foot missions which is just :psyduck: levels of why?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

My favorite thing to hate about Star Wars games is how they all have to have Hoth and at least one Death Star battle. Everyone was at Hoth apparently

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

SiKboy posted:

You might be thinking of a different mission. If I remember right The Driver was a 1 vs 1 race, and it started with a short cutscene outside the nightclub, by a small bridge. Anything that parked where it would be visible in the cut scene would be despawned (at least on the PS2) presumably because the cut scene was in-engine, when the cut scene ended the 3 count to start the race began. So the tactic of "park something in front of your opponents" didnt work well, to prevent it despawning you had to park it a fair distance ahead of the start (where the camera wouldnt catch it in the cut scene) so he could just drive round it. My other standard tactic of "shoot out the opponents tires before the race" didnt work well either because until you started the race his car didnt exist so you couldnt tamper with it. You also couldnt drive-by him because you were trying to recruit him so if he died mission failed. My other early-gta race tactic of "turn up in a better car" wasnt workable because when you started the race you spawned in the shitbox it wanted you to drive.

I remember checking a guide somewhere (probably gamefaqs, this was a long time ago) and it recommended that as soon as the race started you jump out of your car, switch to an accurate gun with some range and take out his tires as he drove off. Except by the time you got out he was a fair distance ahead and moving at speed so you'd have to be a much better shot that I was to manage that one. If he more than a turn ahead of you (with his tires intact) you had essentially lost as the game engine only spawned traffic near the player so he'd have nothing in his way and would drive a near-perfect racing line. I managed to fluke it eventually by keeping up with him long enough to edge him into oncoming traffic. A head on collision with a van pretty much wrecked him and I took the rest of the race at a canter.

I loved vice city but that mission was the absolute worst. As everyone else said, the fact that you had to be better at driving to recruit him as a driver was nonsensical, and the fact that during the robbery he'd die and you'd have to drive yourself anyway added insult to injury. And I think I wrote something almost identical to this in a long-ago version of this thread, but people posting about it has reminded me. It is possible I might be misremembering things, that mission put me off ever playing any of the rereleases.

Honestly the only thing I remember from Vice City is being incredibly pleased when I tried getting out of my car to shoot this guy's tires out, missed and blew his head off through his rear window.

gently caress that mission.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Len posted:

My favorite thing to hate about Star Wars games is how they all have to have Hoth and at least one Death Star battle. Everyone was at Hoth apparently

Look, the EU is vast and all and there's probably hundreds of planets and billions more that a good writer could just invent/create but Hoth is HOTH man... Its the ONLY ice/snow planet in the galaxy.

Speaking of Hoth, Shadows of the Empire is dragged down because Dash Rendar wasn't made out to be even cooler than he already is. Also he's on Hoth because reasons or something :shrug:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Len posted:

This is my problem with DBZ games. Every single one, literally 99%, has been step by step scene by scene recreating the entire series, over and over and over, occasionally with a couple what if scenarios thrown in. Xenoverse 2 is the most egregious since it completely recycles the last game's already bare bones plot, but at least the first Xenoverse was a bit original in adding the "you're your own created character literally time traveling to these moments".

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

WickedHate posted:

This is my problem with DBZ games. Every single one, literally 99%, has been step by step scene by scene recreating the entire series, over and over and over, occasionally with a couple what if scenarios thrown in. Xenoverse 2 is the most egregious since it completely recycles the last game's already bare bones plot, but at least the first Xenoverse was a bit original in adding the "you're your own created character literally time traveling to these moments".

That's the biggest disappointment with 2. It even uses the exact same cutscenes for a lot of it with the only difference in the story being that oh no, the b-list movie villains are here now. Punch them between the exact same story missions you did last time. Time travelling in dragon ball opens up room for a whole lot of anything to happen, and they went with the most boring option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
really what i wanted from Xenoverse 2 was a villain who instead of wanting to slightly power up villains of the timeline and maybe throw in Cooler to result in one of the most frustrating fights of the game, would just literally be a superfan of the DB and DBZ series who wants to rewrite the timeline to be his own stupid fan fiction. the twist would be that your character is the creation of the villain