Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Parasol Prophet posted:

Current peeve: Reading a long Wikipedia article on my phone and accidentally rotating it, which causes the page to reload and put me back up at the very start of the article for some reason, and now I have to scroll all the way back down to where I was to continue reading.

This, but with almost any website. What the hell were they thinking? How did they look at that behavior and think "yeah this is fine, ship it?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

People who are listening to headphones/earbuds while driving.

That poo poo isn't safe, you need to be able to hear what's going on around you.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

WampaLord posted:

That poo poo isn't safe, you need to be able to hear what's going on around you.

...wait, why would you do that in a car?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Cleretic posted:

I have no idea other than there's poo poo on their phone they want to listen to and they are too dumb/cheap to find a way to hook it up to their sound system.

Or maybe they're actually on the phone, but in 2016?

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy
Our buddy invited himself over despite repeated attempts to tell him we were just chilling by ourselves tonight. He then proceeded to show up an hour and a half later than he said he was coming.

Edit: so just found out the reason he just had to come over was because he 'invented' some device to measure angles or something in pool, and he wanted to test the prototype out (we have a pool table in our garage). For backstory, this guy is my husband's friend from high school who is a self-proclaimed "genius" (albeit one who didn't graduate from high school and who works night shift as a stock boy at the the local grocery store), and who dabbled in sovereign citizenship before going full recluse for a while. Good times.

genetic_knockout has a new favorite as of 01:51 on Dec 29, 2016

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
"tyool"

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Cleretic posted:

My last car had a busted stereo, so I would often listen to my iPod quietly in my right ear when driving. It's perfectly safe and legal. Just make sure you can still hear sounds around you.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Cleretic posted:

why do people play music so loud in their cars that I can hear and feel it several blocks away? :mad:

I don't drive so idk anything, but isn't that like... a real impediment to what you can hear outside of your car? maybe on par with headphones?

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

genetic_knockout posted:

Our buddy invited himself over despite repeated attempts to tell him we were just chilling by ourselves tonight. He then proceeded to show up an hour and a half later than he said he was coming.

A friend of my mom's decided it was perfectly ok to walk into our house uninvited and without calling or texting yesterday. She used the code to our garage to get in. Then she tries to open the door that enters the house from the garage but can't because it's locked. So she takes my keys that are hanging next to the door and unlocks the door. She finally enters to see me standing there looking shocked.

"Oh. Is your mom still asleep?"
"YES SHE IS!!!"

She mumbled an apology and left. WTF lady?! It's bad enough that my mom told her the code to the garage in the first place but somehow this woman got it into her head that she was entitled to come inside out of the blue. I already dislike her because she's bossy, obnoxious, tries to run other's lives, and takes advantage of people. Needless to say I'm keeping my keys inside.

bean_shadow has a new favorite as of 04:26 on Dec 29, 2016

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Parasol Prophet posted:

Current peeve: Reading a long Wikipedia article on my phone and accidentally rotating it, which causes the page to reload and put me back up at the very start of the article for some reason, and now I have to scroll all the way back down to where I was to continue reading.

I always have auto-rotate turned off on my phone and tablet. It just annoys me all the time if it's on. Like, if I'm lying in bed or on the couch and try to look at something on my phone, my head's sideways but with rotate on if you turn the phone to match then the screen flips. If I'm looking at a map and I want to turn it around to match the way I'm facing, with rotate on I have to be really careful about how I do it because otherwise it'll fight me. If I just want to turn something sideways for any reason. There are very few occasions where I actually want the screen to rotate, and even then I often want it locked into landscape mode rather than switching back to portrait when I move it. I don't know why auto-rotate is a thing. Just add a "rotate screen" control and let me do it manually.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

teenytinymouse posted:

I have never met a person this rude in my life jfc

I am legitimately super happy for you, because it is infuriating.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

genetic_knockout posted:

Edit: so just found out the reason he just had to come over was because he 'invented' some device to measure angles or something in pool, and he wanted to test the prototype out (we have a pool table in our garage). For backstory, this guy is my husband's friend from high school who is a self-proclaimed "genius" (albeit one who didn't graduate from high school and who works night shift as a stock boy at the the local grocery store), and who dabbled in sovereign citizenship before going full recluse for a while. Good times.

okay I didn't see this until just now but you can't just bring up this guy and not write more stories about him. He sounds terrible. :allears:

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Sociopastry posted:

okay I didn't see this until just now but you can't just bring up this guy and not write more stories about him. He sounds terrible. :allears:

Agreed. Couldn't you just use an adjustable bevel?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
When people confuse "heart attack" and cardiac arrest. A heart attack is an interruption of the blood flow in your heart. Cardiac arrest is when your heart stops beating.

Also when people say someone died of cardiac arrest. No poo poo. That's what dying is.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

Sociopastry posted:

Ok well. First of all, he invited himself over at 6, came at 7:30, and just left now. We tried to tell him that we were cooking dinner (beef stew) in order to get him to leave quicker, but it sure did not work. Somehow we ended up playing trivial pursuit with him (which he lost, despite genius iq. 2000's edition).

Not sure how the sovereign citizenship came to be exactly, but it sounds like this dude may have had a bit of a bad upbringing. Apparently he grew up in like a hoarder house and his dad was a really mean and aggressive dude who worked as a prison guard. This guy apparently quit school around grade 12 or so, and didn't graduate. Not sure if he ended up gettin a ged or not. He quit high school cause he 'couldn't handle it', even though he was allegedly able to skip classes for an entire semester and then come in at the last minute and ace the exams.

Anyways, I guess this non-handling of the educational system festered into a generic hating of 'the man', and I'm guessing he started getting into some online sovcit poo poo at this point. He basically tried to go "off the grid", aka he let his driver's license and other government id's lapse, so he wasn't "in the system" and such. Sadly I don't really know any details, but it seems like he was one of those sad Canadian dudes who buys into the sovcit stuff even though it is clearly based on American laws that don't apply. Eventually, he got so caught up in that he started rarley leaving the house, and basically acting like a huge weirdo when he did.

Around the same time as I entered the social group, this guy started to I guess realize how dumb and bullshit all this stuff was, started coming around a bit more, and acting increasingly normal, which I guess is a good thing. He is still socially akward at times, e.g. tonight. He is still also very condescending, especially to women (because he is the smartest, and how I, a lowly female, be smarter than him), and I also wouldn't be suprised if was into some MRA stuff as well.

Oddly enough, he's had a girlfriend the whole time. I've never met her, but apparently she is a really angry and terrible person. Her nickname amongst the group apparently used to be "big mac sauce", so I can only imagine what she is like.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
That just means she's special.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Just add a "rotate screen" control and let me do it manually.

If you're on Android, look for an app called Rotation Control. I use it on an old tablet whose accelerometer is a bit finicky and prone to stop working at random, and it does exactly this.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

WampaLord posted:

It's also illegal.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

When people confuse "heart attack" and cardiac arrest. A heart attack is an interruption of the blood flow in your heart. Cardiac arrest is when your heart stops beating.

Also when people say someone died of cardiac arrest. No poo poo. That's what dying is.

You're an idiot, because medical technology can restart a heart if you're in a hospital, so cardiac arrest isn't instant death. So you kinda do have to specify "died of cardiac arrest." Also opposed to death from gunshot, pneumonia, decapitation, etc which can be forms of death not caused by a heart stopping.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

genetic_knockout posted:

Oddly enough, he's had a girlfriend the whole time. I've never met her, but apparently she is a really angry and terrible person. Her nickname amongst the group apparently used to be "big mac sauce", so I can only imagine what she is like.

Having had a couple of "friends" like this, their girlfriends are something special, sometimes in a depressing way.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Really weird security. I just encountered a registration that required the username (not the password) to include two numbers. What?

I've also encountered several sites with a really low limit on the length of a password, like 12 characters. Why are you limiting how secure I can make my password?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Avenging_Mikon posted:

You're an idiot, because medical technology can restart a heart if you're in a hospital, so cardiac arrest isn't instant death. So you kinda do have to specify "died of cardiac arrest." Also opposed to death from gunshot, pneumonia, decapitation, etc which can be forms of death not caused by a heart stopping.

Yeah, I know you can restart a stopped heart. I've tried a bunch lately, actually! All of those things you listed lead to cardiac arrest. If a pneumonia patient craps out, the doctors in the hospital aren't going to be like "Oh, well, I guess it was pneumonia!", they're going to work the cardiac arrest. Ditto all of those except for the decaptiation (injuries incompatible with life), but you can bet your rear end that patient is in cardiac arrest. Cardiac arrest is exactly synonomous with clinical death, so saying "he died of cardiac arrest" is the same as saying "he died of death".

You're confusing cardiac arrest with SUDDEN cardiac arrest, which is when your heart just craps out for no apparent reason out of nowhere. Of the four cardiac arrests I've worked this year, only one was SCA.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Digirat posted:

I've also encountered several sites with a really low limit on the length of a password, like 12 characters. Why are you limiting how secure I can make my password?

My bank does this, only worse. All e-banking passwords must be exactly eight characters.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Ugly In The Morning posted:

You're confusing cardiac arrest with SUDDEN cardiac arrest, which is when your heart just craps out for no apparent reason out of nowhere.

My pet peeve is that this can happen.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've always enjoyed picturing the brain as a factory foreman after all the other managers and middle-managers have left - he's pretty much left regulating and running everything, making sure all the bits do what their supposed to do and maintaining them before they break down completely, so when it comes to social interactions of course it takes shortcuts. It's like it has a brief press conference with the outside world and the brain is just yelling "WHAT!? I have more important... what you guys.. I don't have time for this... OK i'll put you in that box, you in this one, we can hang out your cool... now gently caress off the lungs need new tissue making and there's no one else to manage the raw materials." SCA or Cardiac Infarction is when the brain just crashes out after a few too many all-nighters and misses a spot. When resuscitated successfully in the latter or whatever is done in the former the brain's just like "OK, ok, I'm on it. Sorry..."

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The electrical activity in the heart's actually done by a bunch of nodes of specialized cells in the heart instead of being controlled by th brain. Shocking someone is more like when your router stops working and you turn it off and turn it back on. Depending on the type of malfunction, sometimes it can work. Sometimes it can't. And if someone crashed a car into your cable hookup, it doesn't have a chance in hell of working.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Oh, hey cool. Had a feeling there was more to it but didn't know the specifics.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

bean_shadow posted:

A friend of my mom's decided it was perfectly ok to walk into our house uninvited and without calling or texting yesterday. She used the code to our garage to get in. Then she tries to open the door that enters the house from the garage but can't because it's locked. So she takes my keys that are hanging next to the door and unlocks the door. She finally enters to see me standing there looking shocked.

"Oh. Is your mom still asleep?"
"YES SHE IS!!!"

She mumbled an apology and left. WTF lady?! It's bad enough that my mom told her the code to the garage in the first place but somehow this woman got it into her head that she was entitled to come inside out of the blue. I already dislike her because she's bossy, obnoxious, tries to run other's lives, and takes advantage of people. Needless to say I'm keeping my keys inside.

I have no beef with friends or neighbors coming in unannounced. Mi casa es su casa. Maybe it's different in other regions but, in Minnesota, just walking in and grabbing a pop out of the fridge is normal. I have keys to my neighbors house. He and his wife have keys to mine. You knock as you open the door. No big deal. I never lock my doors anyway.

The dog will let me know if it's someone she doesn't know.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Digirat posted:

The original reason for this was that data storage was at a very high premium. It's a much smaller issue now, so most modern systems are having reasonable limits. But a lot of places, especially banks, deal with legacy software which is extremely expensive to make sensible. Other places are just godawful at security practices and are just aping what they see in other sites.

My current peeve is that my autocorrect is loving idiotic and keeps "correcting" words that are actually words into typos and completely unrelated words.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

mostlygray posted:

I have no beef with friends or neighbors coming in unannounced. Mi casa es su casa. Maybe it's different in other regions but, in Minnesota, just walking in and grabbing a pop out of the fridge is normal. I have keys to my neighbors house. He and his wife have keys to mine. You knock as you open the door. No big deal. I never lock my doors anyway.

My next door neighbor is a literal Nazi so I'm glad this isn't socially expected where I live

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

mostlygray posted:

But we've never given anybody permission to just come inside unannounced. We haven't given her a key to the house and we don't leave our doors unlocked.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I love when people pop in and think their small town experience growing up applies anywhere but other similar small towns. Yes, if you live in rural montana where your nearest neighbor is 2 miles away, it is fine to leave your door unlocked. Most places in this country are not like that. I grew up in a mostly safe suburb and even I would not approve of someone coming in unannounced. It's weird. Knock on the door, maybe crack it open and call out, but don't cross the entryway without permission.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Speaking of technology peeves I'm sick of my tablets volume control. It occasionally "corrects" to a much lower volume and the controls themselves tend to be unresponsive as all hell. There was also a phase where the music volume would not adjust until it was playing. In this circumstance volume control would only control notification volume which I didn't want anyway.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I love when people pop in and think their small town experience growing up applies anywhere but other similar small towns. Yes, if you live in rural montana where your nearest neighbor is 2 miles away, it is fine to leave your door unlocked. Most places in this country are not like that. I grew up in a mostly safe suburb and even I would not approve of someone coming in unannounced. It's weird. Knock on the door, maybe crack it open and call out, but don't cross the entryway without permission.

We moved from a city to a standard sized town and are getting used to people dropping by unannounced. We find it annoying but understandable. But finding a key and unlocking a door without texting or calling is unacceptable. Even other people in town thinks that's weird.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Different places of course have different standards of etiquette as regards visits. But even in a small town where people drop in on other people all the time, it's up to the person who lives there to decide what's acceptable, not the people who feel entitled to show up whenever they drat well please.

I had one quite memorable conversation with some friends back in the day who felt so entitled in which I mentioned that 'you know, sometimes I just enjoy being at home on my own and not being disturbed' and they proceeded to ask me for a schedule of such times. Amazingly they are still my friends. Possibly because they now live halfway across the country from me.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

mostlygray posted:

Ugggh this sounds like a nightmare to me

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still
As someone who needs a lot of alone time and also has a very hard time with even the most minor of confrontations, if someone decided they had a right to just come into my home unannounced I think I would have no choice but to move.

Unrelated: I hate when people give me those prepaid Visa gift cards. I know I should just be grateful for the gift, and I guess I can see their use as, like, prizes for a raffle or something where specific gift cards might be an inconvenience. But when a friend/family member gives me one, I just think of the $6 fee they paid on it, and wish they'd given me cash and thrown those extra few bucks in too. Or kept it for themselves, who cares. But if you buy a $25 Visa card, that's a fee of over 20%, and that's loving ridiculous.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I love getting gift cards instead of random presents.

Peeves are: People feel like they have to give you something, but they don't know you, so they just get some generic thing (like gloves or scarf). Dude, I live in a cold city, I have tons of these already.

BUT on the other hand, another peeve: I hate when people react badly to this type of thing. They get a gift they don't like and are bitchy about it and don't say thanks (for example my grandfather got a bottle of wine as a gift and he just left it on the table and left the house!). Even if you don't like it, IMO you should smile and accept it and be like "thank you :) "cause at least they thought about you.

I've gotten so many scarves and gloves I don't need but I always thank the person. I've given a ton of said gloves and scarves to charity so someone else who needs them can use them. I feel guilty but on the other hand I'm giving it to someone in need.

So yeah I would LOVE to get a gift card instead of generic glove/scarf/etc, because then I can get what I want or need. I've gotten a ton of H&M and Starbucks and VISA gift cards in the past and I absolutely love them because I'm poor and then I can get stuff I like or need.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I wish it was socially acceptable to just be like "Look here's a link to my amazon wishlist. Please use that to find me something" when it comes to this time of year. I would loving love it if the people I care about would just link me to a list of things they want but don't have. Like yes, I can and will find you a gift you'll like even without the list, but please I am so stressed just tell me what you want so I can get it for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

Sociopastry posted:

I wish it was socially acceptable to just be like "Look here's a link to my amazon wishlist. Please use that to find me something" when it comes to this time of year. I would loving love it if the people I care about would just link me to a list of things they want but don't have. Like yes, I can and will find you a gift you'll like even without the list, but please I am so stressed just tell me what you want so I can get it for you.

The worst is when you try to ask someone what they want, and they are all like "oh, don't even bother getting me anything. Save your money!". Sure, Mom, I'm just not going to get you anything for Christmas while you buy me mountains of gifts I don't want or need. I'm sure that like 99% of people who say this would be secretly offended if you called their bluff anyways.