Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Absurd Alhazred posted:

When people say they want to die outside of a retirement home, I assume they expect to die in battle, or on adventure, or in the case of OP, lifting. :shrug:

I assume they actually want to die on the lawn of a retirement home, in full view of the residents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Horror_Business posted:

This? I lost the source...

This was it, yep. Thanks!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Sash! posted:

Coach Jesus replied, “They do not need to come off the board. You give them something to string them along.”

“We have here only seven scholarships to offer,” His recruiting coordinator answered.

“Bring those markers here to me,” He said. And He erased and re-wrote names in columns on the whiteboard. Taking the seven scholarships and looking up to Heaven, He gave thanks and wrote the handwritten cards. Then He gave them to the assistant coaches, and the assistant coaches gave them to the recruits. They all texted and were satisfied, and the assistant coaches picked up twelve commits.

"Greyshirts, son," He proclaimed.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Solice Kirsk posted:

Someone spent a lot of time on that and still hosed up the rhythm on almost every other line.

Edit: Wait. Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong song.

If you're thinking of Jim Carroll's People Who Died, you're not. And they did gently caress up the rhythm quite a bit.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Song parody stuff is really only funny for like a line or two and even then it has to be perfect. Goons trying to Weird Al an entire Beatles song around World of Warcraft is almost always universally unbearable.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Solice Kirsk posted:

Song parody stuff is really only funny for like a line or two and even then it has to be perfect. Goons trying to Weird Al an entire Beatles song around World of Warcraft is almost always universally unbearable.

SHES SO ELFYYYYYYY

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Solice Kirsk posted:

I remember I got run out of one of the old tumblr threads in GBS for making fun of a post that rewrote "the farmer in the dell" to be about fat people getting triggered

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
I nominate this for the most meta post on these forums.

Pollyanna posted:

I kinda want Trump to go full hilter solely to get back at this thread, but I also kinda dont

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Not sure if it was a quote from a thread or an external link, but I recall seeing some link about "nerds" (obviously people with aspergers, etc) having a set of requirements from friends, one of them being the need to have one group of friends get on with another group, only based on themselves being the common link. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

sharktamer posted:

Not sure if it was a quote from a thread or an external link, but I recall seeing some link about "nerds" (obviously people with aspergers, etc) having a set of requirements from friends, one of them being the need to have one group of friends get on with another group, only based on themselves being the common link. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Geek Social Fallacy #4, probably.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

sharktamer posted:

The "Geek Social Fallacies." Search for them, as I'm phone posting.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
That's the one, thanks both of you.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Nordick posted:

Do the exact opposite of exercising not to be.

Which is which, that is the question.

WHETHER TIS NOBLER TO SUFFER THE TWINGE OF BACK PAIN FROM LACK OF PROPER STRETCHING

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Goons trying to Weird Al an entire Beatles song around World of Warcraft is almost always universally unbearable.

So, indistinguishable from Weird Al then?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Tiggum posted:

Nah, Weird Al can play an instrument

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Sagebrush posted:

kinda fitting that princess leia's mother died of a broken heart ayyyy

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Tiggum posted:

(Nationwide jingle) Tiggum has a broken brain

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

(Nationwide jingle) Tiggum has a broken brain

E-I-E-I-O

UWBW
Aug 3, 2013

Permanently banned from the Alamo
The OSHA thread was discussing warnings and safety labels on radioactive waste addressed to "future humans" who might read it in the year 12,000, and how absurd that concept was.

Baronjutter posted:

What if a cave man tries to use the ruins of a skyscraper for shelter and gets tetanus from some exposed rebar? Ban rebar until it can be made cave-man safe. If you can't guarantee your building will be safe in 100,000 years and have sufficient statues and sculptures that warn sub-human mutants then you shouldn't be building anything, you're putting future societies at risk.

What if a post-apocalyptic survivor's mutant offspring lose the ability to taste salt and try to drink the ocean? We need a massive wall of scary earthworks along the coasts to make sure they only drink fresh water.

What if a blind mutant cyberman finds an old warehouse from the before times and can't understand the safety warnings on the overhead gantry crane and exceeds the safe operating limits and doesn't even understand the difference between the maximum failure load and the maximum safe operating load??

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

UWBW posted:

how absurd that concept was

These forums are a fine example of how much damage even something like radium can do, dude. It's absurd, but people need to know that they need to stay the gently caress away from that poo poo.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Somfin posted:

These forums are a fine example of how much damage even something like radium can do, dude. It's absurd, but people need to know that they need to stay the gently caress away from that poo poo.

Heh nice

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Somfin posted:

Beautiful.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Puts a whole new spin on :krad:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

purple death ray posted:

I remember I got run out of one of the old tumblr threads in GBS for making fun of a post that rewrote "the farmer in the dell" to be about fat people getting triggered

Fat girl on a Dell, fat girl on a dell
Eat some ho-ho's and oreos...

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Jeza posted:

If only exercise decades in advance was any help, or indeed didn't probably hinder your ability to keep fit in your old age. Or that the reasons most people become decrepit and infirm is not because they refuse to exercise or go to the gym, but rather a plethora of degenerative and vaguely crippling illnesses of which many have no relation to whether or not they are healthy and active, in combination with your body falling to pieces under its own steam.

You can watch marathon runners and people who kept fit and active into their 60s and 70s confined to a wheelchair for the rest of their lives in a matter of months, and likewise see people who've never run further than to catch a bus be pretty spry into their 90s.

I wouldn't delude yourself into thinking your healthy and active habits in your 20s/30s and beyond will have more than a slight influence on your old age. Better to put all your money into laser powered exoskeletons for the elderly, honestly.

youre insanely wrong

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

I.N.R.I posted:

youre insanely wrong

youre ins anely sexy

:mrgw:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Ioure Nsanely RexI

hrm this worked better in my head

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

I.N.R.I posted:

youre insanely wrong

go ahead, run yourself into an early grave. the faster you run the quicker you die.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
meanwhile i'll be laughing at you with a gamerscore far beyond the reach of casuals

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Jeza posted:

go ahead, run yourself into an early grave. the faster you run the quicker you die.

Please don't steal my screenplay for a fitbit based reboot of The Ring, tia

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

purple death ray posted:

Please don't steal my screenplay for a fitbit based reboot of The Ring, tia

This got me thinking of doing a remake of Speed with a man who can't slow down instead of a bus, until I realized that not only is this the complete opposite of what y'all are describing, that idea already exists as a movie and is called Crank.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Eh! Frank posted:

This got me thinking of doing a remake of Speed with a man who can't slow down instead of a bus, until I realized that not only is this the complete opposite of what y'all are describing, that idea already exists as a movie and is called Crank.

To be fair, another Crank movie is a pretty good idea.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Paladinus posted:

To be fair, another Crank movie is a pretty good idea.

Only if they somehow find an even crazier way to bring back Jose Cantillo again.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That's nothing more than the Hedgehog/Prower phenomenon of ostensibly adult characters engaged in prolonged and intense bouts of presexual intimacy.

FN and Poe - despite being twenty- and thirty-somethings, respectively - are several steps behind Matthew Broderick's teen hacker in Wargames, who tentatively explores how it feels to take his shirt off in front of a girl.

For fans, the actual erotic appeal comes from the fact that Sonic The Hedgehog does not gently caress. Ever. He achieves full satisfaction just by staring at you with his massive hypersensitive eyes, and passionately filling his rounded belly with chilidogs. Poe and FN, likewise, will never move beyond hugging and trying on eachothers' clothes. They have no need to.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

SMG owns

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
rofl smg is a treasure

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Reaching too hard, 3/10.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Aphrodite posted:

Reaching too hard, 3/10.

It's a funny post, but I guess goons as a whole are on to it now. It was better when everyone got mad for pages and yelled and cried.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Powaqoatse posted:

It's a funny post, but I guess goons as a whole are on to it now. It was better when everyone got mad for pages and yelled and cried.

This still happens all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Strength and flexibility training help keep you active for longer and reduce the negative impact of short periods of major illness on your body. An old dude who's used to running a mile a day can get pneumonia, be in bed on a ventilator for two days, get extubated, and be back on his feet by dinner... which means his lungs open up faster, his bowels start moving sooner, his joints don't lock up, and his vasculature is less likely to degrade.

Cardio keeps you alive for much, much longer, because it prepares your body to cope with decreased blood flow (from heart attacks and short-term acute illness), maintains the flexibility and fitness of your vasculature (heart attacks, strokes, and other vascular damage are easily the #1 killer and old-people-disabler), and helps your organs learn to function under stress so they don't fail as easily.

Getting exercise is a direct indicator of how much time you spend outside your house-- having adventures, meeting people, engaging in daily self-care, overcoming inertia, exercising self-discipline, and connecting to your body. Incidentally, swordfighting (like most other fulfilling life activities) requires practice, which involves weightlifting and exercise.

If you are active and you regularly pursue difficult physical goals, you are much more likely to live longer and be healthier and more happy during your extended lifespan. The guy from that post who did all the swordfighting and traveling and poo poo but never exercised, that guy is in the nursing home because he had a series of disabling strokes and can't remember his foreign ex-lover's face or even pop a boner. The guy who worked out is in the nursing home because he's visiting a family member.

EFFORTPOST IN THE QUOTE THREAD

also since when is SMG writing erotic star wars fanfiction and where do I find this sweet horror

e. oh theres a whole nother page oops