Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

I like these Darn Tough socks so much I stopped wearing everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

various cheeses posted:

I like these Darn Tough socks so much I stopped wearing everything else.

Second recommendation for Darn Tough. They are the only merino wool blend sock I've found that doesn't go threadbare or some poo poo within like 6 months.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Would anyone be kind enough to recommend me some socks for winter? I tried looking up wool/wool blends but didn't really trust what I was seeing. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Have a Costco membership? The Kirkland hiking socks are pretty reasonable at $12 for 4 pairs.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Pick posted:

Does your girlfriend have too much poo poo in the shower?

Behold!

You can add 50 of these to your shower, your girlfriend will fill all of them up anyway with stuff she never touches or uses, but will go ballistic over if you barely hint at cleaning it up.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Geoj posted:

Have a Costco membership? The Kirkland hiking socks are pretty reasonable at $12 for 4 pairs.

If you have Instacart in your area, you can get Costco stuff without a membership. It's probably going to cost you more money, but convenient way to try out those socks.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Would anyone be kind enough to recommend me some socks for winter? I tried looking up wool/wool blends but didn't really trust what I was seeing. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

I like Smartwool and you can find them on sale with some looking most all of the time. I have like 20 pairs of the light hikers that I have been wearing for the last three years or so and they are all still in perfect condition.

I also have three pairs of Darn Toughs that I use strictly for hiking and they are really getting all.....idk the right term but like whispie little yarns are coming out at the heels after only maybe a dozen wearings each. They are comfortable as heck and if this is the extent of the wear then it's fine but it was a little disappointing to see.

Tofu Terry
Oct 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

evobatman posted:

You can add 50 of these to your shower, your girlfriend will fill all of them up anyway with stuff she never touches or uses, but will go ballistic over if you barely hint at cleaning it up.

You okay man? Considered couples therapy?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

evobatman posted:

It is our way

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Icebreaker socks have a lifetime warranty, plus they don't look like dad socks

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Is that a thing?

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Is that a thing?

Plain white socks I guess?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Only people who are really insecure about the tasteful thickness of their business cards worry about what people think of their socks.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I love dad socks

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I have socks knit from my dad's chest hair. Is that the same thing?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've put the Darn Tough socks through hell and they are really great. I even prefer the "light" models because otherwise they are too thick

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

According to my research,
these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

Crossposting from the Footwear Megathread:

The most comfortable shoes I've ever tried on were Brooks Glycerin 14s. However, I hate the design (esp. the models available in 11.5 2E). Can anyone recommend something similar, but way more subdued (ideally solid black, and without zig-zags and poo poo) for daily wear?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

budgieinspector posted:

The most comfortable shoes I've ever tried on were Brooks Glycerin 14s. However, I hate the design (esp. the models available in 11.5 2E). Can anyone recommend something similar, but way more subdued (ideally solid black, and without zig-zags and poo poo) for daily wear?

Unfortunately shoe fit is something that you can't really figure without trying the drat things on

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

signalnoise posted:

Unfortunately shoe fit is something that you can't really figure without trying the drat things on

Yeah. I used to wear Vans and they all felt different. The only brand that feels uniform to me in Converse.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I really really like Chrome shoes, generally, but I got a pair recently that squeezes the gently caress out of my feet when all the rest had huge toeboxes. :iiam:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The most comfortable shoes ever are the ones modeled on Otzi the iceman's. HOWEVER, they are as ugly as they are comfortable.

Trillest Parrot
Jul 9, 2006

trill parrots don't die

budgieinspector posted:

Honestly if you're ok with wearing Brooks you should go to a running shoe store and have them fit you for shoes. Best decision I ever made for my weird rear end 4E feet.

If you can't do that maybe New Balance? Honestly all wide shoes are ugly

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

budgieinspector posted:

These are some really comfortable 4E shoes that meet your requirements. Their durability isn't amazing, but not terrible.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PM7EY4E?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Doesn't Red Wing have extra wide options? They have a leather Oxford shoe and a desert boot option. Both are pricey, but classic style and a long guarantee on the shoes.

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

According to my research,
these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

Trillest Parrot posted:

Honestly if you're ok with wearing Brooks you should go to a running shoe store and have them fit you for shoes.

Heh -- I did (even though I'm not looking for running shoes, per se.) Went to Roadrunner, got on the treadmill, they made custom inserts (which I tried inside my regular shoes, but they didn't make the kind of difference I was willing to pay $75 for), and the kid had me try out every shoe they had that fit the "neutral cushioned" category, despite me trying to be very clear that I wasn't going to buy anything that looked like radioactive vomit. That's where I discovered that I liked the feel of the Brooks. But they didn't carry anything similarly-comfy which didn't look like it was designed by a hyperactive five-year-old with a box of neon crayons.

baquerd posted:

These are some really comfortable 4E shoes that meet your requirements. Their durability isn't amazing, but not terrible.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PM7EY4E?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Thanks; I'll check 'em out. For $43, I think I can deal with all the swoopy design poo poo going on.

Trillest Parrot
Jul 9, 2006

trill parrots don't die

Eponine posted:

Doesn't Red Wing have extra wide options? They have a leather Oxford shoe and a desert boot option. Both are pricey, but classic style and a long guarantee on the shoes.

I think the best Red Wing can do is 2E. Sometimes that works, though. Usually I can get away with something more narrow if I leave the lower laces more loose and/or get some Superfeet Green inserts to stretch the sides a bit.

God help you if you need basketball shoes. My usual size is 12, and I've tried up to a 15 Nike and almost all of them are STILL not wide enough, despite swimming in the toe and heel areas. I'm pretty sure I tried every basketball shoe at Foot Locker last season. I ended up with:

UA Curry 2 (good all around, saved my bad ankle a couple times)
Nike Zoom HyperRev 2016 (insane grip, but make no mistake, this is a low top despite looking like a mid)
Jordan Ultra.Fly (terrible basketball shoes, they will slip if the sole gets even a little dirty, but they look cool and are comfortable)

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
It looks like they go up to H-width and EEE for quite a few styles.

I wanted a pair of Red Wings and they didn't have my size, which is why I was creeping on the site, because I have very much the opposite problem.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Are there any oven/kitchen gloves you guys could recommend? I'm looking for something that'll let me hold a hot cast iron pans for longer than just a few seconds.

Sephiroth_IRA has a new favorite as of 01:47 on Dec 25, 2016

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Something like this will be what you want.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

Something like this will be what you want.

Perfect thank you!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Go to like a Tractor Supply and buy some cheap welding gloves.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

bongwizzard posted:

Go to like a Tractor Supply and buy some cheap welding gloves.

Yes, that will work great. I wanted arm protection for dealing with molten metal, so I had the URL handy: You totally don't need gloves this long, but with these you can grab the fires of hell and not notice.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Can anyone recommend a good quality magnified LED makeup mirror ?

For my mom. She wants the kind that go on the wall and have an arm, one side is slightly magnified and like 10x on the other side

Needs to be hard wire-able

I ordered one from amazon in time for Christmas , she opened it Christmas morning to find the magnified side is in backwards or something because the image is upside down

They won't honor a return as its past 30 days, loving $300 for this pos

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sappo569 posted:

For my mom. She wants the kind that go on the wall and have an arm, one side is slightly magnified and like 10x on the other side

I ordered one from amazon in time for Christmas , she opened it Christmas morning to find the magnified side is in backwards or something because the image is upside down

Not sure about the quality of any specific one, but I was doing price comparisons with Alibaba and those mirrors are one of the items that has loving insane markups going from Chinese sellers to American ones. Like $5-$10 on Alibaba.

EDIT: Search link for Ali Express, if you want to gamble. Ali Express isn't as cheap.

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 07:03 on Dec 30, 2016

jacteh
Jul 10, 2007

Sappo569 posted:

Nothing wrong with the mirror. You're just too far away from it.

https://www.leaf.tv/articles/how-do-magnifying-mirrors-work/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zv-4Zh-9R4

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

You're loving making GBS threads me....

Ok so that makes all 4 of us sitting around on Christmas morning looking like total idiots.

Thanks for saving me buying another one!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Lol how did y'all not learn about concave or convex mirrors in school?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

George H.W. oval office posted:

This is such a loving stupid kind of remark to make.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

George H.W. oval office posted:

Vampire school! :drac:

Roulette
Sep 17, 2006
xposting from the Wedding thread:

I haven't seen this request, and I feel like the general answer would just be "hire a videographer", but I'm having a cheapy backyard wedding in Feb and I'm wanting to accomplish a few things:

1. Try to document the days leading up to the actual wedding since I never have family in town and this is almost turning into more of a family reunion with a short boring part where two people are the center of attention

2. Record the ceremony

3. Leave a camera up and running on a table somewhere for people to leave messages for us but also to just record the whole reception all night from one spot

Aside from a GoPro or Polaroid Cube Plus, what options would you guys recommend for a cheap budget? I keep coming back to the Polaroid Cube Plus because it's so small and with a big enough sd card (and being set in one place plugged in to a wall outlet) it seems like it will record for hours on end BUT I hate the fisheye warping it does (which is even worse on a GoPro) so is there an option I'm not considering? Are there any tiny camcorders for around $100 that will allow me to do what I'm wanting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm making a few specimen jars and I'm trying to find a fake brain that I can keep submerged in water.