Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

Spoke Lee posted:

Any opinions on Hard West?
I liked it, but don't expect to play Weird West XCOM. The game is set up in 8 vignettes in which you play different characters, with a different tactical layer and different resource management in each. While this keeps the game fresh in one way, I felt I'd rather had more time with fewer characters. It's still a fun game, and well worth a couple bucks. I liked the DLC:s tactical layer the most, so get that if you like the base game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Relin posted:

what are some good roguelites that have a permanent aspect to them. i have isaac, rogue legacy, and darkest dungeon

Hand of Fate builds your dungeon and some of your encounters according to a deck of cards that you can build. So unlocking stuff in one run allows you to slot it in next time to have a chance of finding it, there's persistent quests from run to run as you unlock parts of the storylines, etc.

Hand of Fate is so drat good.

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Perfect, thank you both!

Alternate take - if I were in your shoes I would be inclined to finish the bundle off and get the lot while it's all so very cheap. It won't cost you over getting the two must-have expansions, and it'll let you install this, which improves things so much it's scary. If this isn't your first Civ game, I would say that's a must instead, in my opinion.

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol

Or is it Sputnik posted:

I liked it, but don't expect to play Weird West XCOM. The game is set up in 8 vignettes in which you play different characters, with a different tactical layer and different resource management in each. While this keeps the game fresh in one way, I felt I'd rather had more time with fewer characters. It's still a fun game, and well worth a couple bucks. I liked the DLC:s tactical layer the most, so get that if you like the base game.

Thanks! I actually like the smaller scale and things like trick shots and shooting through walls.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Gameko posted:

Thanks so much for all the anime game recommendations, goons. I'm popping a few in my wishlist so I can grab them in the future. For this sale though this is what I'm looking at so far:

Phantom Breaker (looks fun, and at $2.39 how can you go wrong?)
Momodora: Reverie
Rabi-Ribi
Ys Origin

I've given all these games a try and put in 30m~1hr minimum. Everything is super good and fits what I was looking for. Thanks a bunch goons!

Now I just need to figure out what my capstone game purchase will be.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Relin posted:

Thanks for the rogue suggestions.
I'm sure it's worth it but a little disappointing it hasn't gone on sale in the three years it's been out

The devs are a bit anal and don't want to put it on sale. It's been in two Humble bundles though, so if you want you could search for a better price from someone who got it there.

I got my copy with a coupon someone was giving away; don't really get the point of completely slamming the door on sales if you have stuff like that for it. What's the difference?

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Dec 30, 2016

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
Just double the regular price and make it -50% for sales.

I guess that would gently caress with people who buy on release and who want to buy it outside of sales, and I respect not doing it for that reason, but I'm fairly sure that purely from a bottom line perspective it would be a good move.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Furnaceface posted:

Why didnt anyone tell me Death Road to Canada was so much fun?

e: I taught a cat how to drive a car. GOTY.

Yeah, it's hilarious. The referential humor appeals to me a bunch and the game generates fun anecdotes like an assembly line. Definitely the game I've enjoyed the most out of my haul so far!

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
So I've been playing a bunch of puzzle games during this sale, I'm almost done with Tri: Of Friendship and Madness so I'm looking for my next fix, fortunately my queues are nothing but puzzle games now because that's how steam works I guess, anyone have thoughts or feelings about A Story About My Uncle or Rememoried (both came up in my queue and looked interesting)? I was also recommended Infinifactory and A Good Snowman is Hard to Build here in this thread but I'm sort of digging the first person POV games where I have a strange gimmick machine that enables me to solve the puzzles and also doesn't require me to pay attention the the 'story' in any capacity and those games look more sandboxy? I dunno I'm still on the fence.

I was also looking at The Room but that's more like point and click adventure than puzzle innit ?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I wouldn't exactly call ASAMU a puzzle game. Sometimes it was awkward finding out where it wanted me to go, but mostly it's timing and momentum.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

Spoke Lee posted:

Thanks! I actually like the smaller scale and things like trick shots and shooting through walls.
Absolutely, I love when you pull off a chain shot that kills half a dozen bandits, but those moments are few and far between. The price for using special abilities is basically your life as the luck could have been used to dodge incoming. I feel that a lot of the abilities are underpowered especially on higher difficulties - if you manage to set up a sick ricochet against a target in full cover, there's still a (target Luck)-hit% = x guaranteed miss if x > 0. If I'm spending 1/5th or more of my secondary health bar, I want bang for my buck. You can mitigate this by using other posse members to whittle down enemy luck but at that point you're using half or 2/3rds of your posse to drop one bandit. If managing luck is my first big concern, being outnumbered is my second. The game LOVES to throw you into situations where half a dozen plus enemies rip into you (4 people maximum), and if you can focus down one, that means a guaranteed hit on the posse, maybe two. This means you're probably not getting enough luck to use abilities. It also feels like the game penalizes you for going for a flank with map layout and enemy overwatch.

Don't get me wrong, I still like it a lot. Even though I would have liked a longer story akin to "XCOM, but with demons", I feel they really nailed the feel of "a story about a dozen lovely people doing lovely things" and I'm glad for it. But if enemies didn't activate all at once, were spread out more on bigger maps or in pods XCOM style, if Overwatch wasn't always on and/or had a chance to miss, and if Luck costs went down a bit and abilities were rebalanced, Hard West would be a GREAT game instead of a GOOD one.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Pigeotic posted:

I was also looking at The Room but that's more like point and click adventure than puzzle innit ?

You're essentially presented with a giant puzzle box you need to open. I mean, you point at stuff and click it but the puzzles involve you finding odd little buttons and stuff as well as working through logic. You will be changing your viewpoint to look around the other sides of things, and I certainly don't recall any sort of inventory management.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Pigeotic posted:

So I've been playing a bunch of puzzle games during this sale, I'm almost done with Tri: Of Friendship and Madness so I'm looking for my next fix, fortunately my queues are nothing but puzzle games now because that's how steam works I guess, anyone have thoughts or feelings about A Story About My Uncle or Rememoried (both came up in my queue and looked interesting)? I was also recommended Infinifactory and A Good Snowman is Hard to Build here in this thread but I'm sort of digging the first person POV games where I have a strange gimmick machine that enables me to solve the puzzles and also doesn't require me to pay attention the the 'story' in any capacity and those games look more sandboxy? I dunno I'm still on the fence.

Infinifactory gives you minimal story: you have been captured by aliens. Design production lines for them. You then proceed to be dropped into every puzzle and you poke around trying to solve it, and it's mindbending and brilliant. It's Sandbox-y due to how you can find multiple ways to solve a puzzle and optimize it if you want.

Also, have you played Talos Principle, the Swapper, Portal 1/2, Antichamber, Gateways, or the Quell series?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Arkham Knight is downloading now, is there anything specific I should do within the refund time limit to see if it's going to run like poo poo on my machine, or is it usually apparent straight away?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Party Boat posted:

Arkham Knight is downloading now, is there anything specific I should do within the refund time limit to see if it's going to run like poo poo on my machine, or is it usually apparent straight away?
Play lots of challenges in the Batmobile against waves of enemies while mixing it with doing on-foot missions and see if the FPS drops are unbearable to you.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Gameko posted:

Also, I still feel like I have room for an additional $10~$20 purchase. There have been some good suggestions in that price range, and there are some old standbys I've never played. Here are the games on my short list:

2. Devil May Cry Remake/3/4. Never played a DMC game. If this is the game to get, which one should I grab?

Help me out goons. Alternatively I could pick up Dying Light as my expensive purchase this sale season. People were really gushing over that one a few pages back.

I can help with this a little. Skip the remake for sure. It's not the catastrophe that it was looking like for a while but it's definitely not better than 3 or 4.

I like 4 more than 3. You get two very different characters in the story mode, and I think the curve to get you from button mashing to being a SSStylish player is much smoother than in 3 thanks to Nero's design. Dante also plays way more flexibly since you can change fighting styles on the fly (unless they added that to the PC conversion of 3.) Legendary Dark Knight mode in 4 is hilarious. 4's environments are also prettier, if it matters to you. DMC3 deals in greys and browns a lot.

The downside of 4 is that they basically made two characters and a short game. So you play through the game with Nero, then do it in reverse as Dante (there are plotline explanations for this, but who cares about the plot in a DMC game). You will repeat levels, bosses, whole nine yards. Nero and Dante play very differently, so it's not like you can sleep through the runback, but it's a big turn off to a lot of people. Oh also there's an enemy type that makes some people want to tear their hair out, but you can look up tutorials on how to kill them.

I love action games. :allears:

Boxman fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Dec 30, 2016

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Pigeotic posted:

I'm sort of digging the first person POV games where I have a strange gimmick machine that enables me to solve the puzzles

I think you've played most of the good ones already, but if you really want to dig deep on that genre you could consider Magrunner: Dark Pulse, The Ball, Qbeh-1: The Atlas Cube, Q.U.B.E, Quantum Conundrum and possibly MirrorMoon EP? I don't feel like I can actively recommend any of those games but none of them are completely terrible. There's also Magnetic: Cage Closed which I've never found time to try.

e: Technically I don't think you've ever mentioned having played Portal, so on the remote off chance that you haven't you should play that and it's sequel immediately; I don't think it's unfair to say that they invented the genre.

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Dec 30, 2016

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Weird recommendation request, is there anything out there in the sale that is pretty much identical to farmville? My 70 year old Grandmother loving loves Farmville, but she gets caught into a million farmville phishing scams so my family had to shut her down, wondering if there is something in the sale for her?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Stardew Valley?

I don't actually know what Farmville is like as a game :v:

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Me loving either, and I did think about Stardew Valley too.

I think you set up a farm and then people come and work it for you.... I really don't know.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FarmVille

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
How long does a run take in Renowned Explorers?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Wildtortilla posted:

How long does a run take in Renowned Explorers?

2-3 hours at most. Depends how long you take in the fights.

Even if you lose, the expeditions you finish with a crew count towards captain unlocks.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
Never played any of the Tales games, how is Zestiria, worth the sale price? Is the combat any good?

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK

Texibus posted:

Weird recommendation request, is there anything out there in the sale that is pretty much identical to farmville? My 70 year old Grandmother loving loves Farmville, but she gets caught into a million farmville phishing scams so my family had to shut her down, wondering if there is something in the sale for her?

Stardew valley will give her the experience of making a farm and harvesting crops. But she can also raise animals , get married while digging in a mine to gain more metals to upgrade weapons.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Party Boat posted:

Straight away.
You start up high looking over the city and its pissing rain.
It should be quick to notice if your computer can handle it.
But if you have an 970 onwards it should be fine.

Then again, turn off the physx poo poo in the options and you get some good increases in performance.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

Never played any of the Tales games, how is Zestiria, worth the sale price? Is the combat any good?

Zesteria is really rough because you can tell they really rushed it out the door to hit an anniversary date.

You'd honestly be better with Symphonia (only the first one) even if it's rather aged. Or wait for Bersaria on Jan 20th though it'll be full price.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
Thanks, I picked up Symphonia instead.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Budgeted about 63ish for the sale. Currently waiting to pull the trigger on,

-8-bit armies
-Just Cause 3 XL
- Halcyon 6: Starbase commander

I'm torn between grabbing either Astroneer, Starbound or Stonehearth. Any thoughts?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Astroneer: - really bloody pretty and has an awesome interface. There's a decent amount of content in the game, but at the same time there's no challenge to it currently. It's purely build for the sake of building and exploring. Devs have been incredibly quick with fixing most bugs.

Stone Hearth - one of the better survival town builders I feel. The art design's lovely, the UI is easy to get a hang of overall, but it does have the issue of once you make a stable town not much is going to threaten it. Development is a little slow but ongoing due to the small team but it shows a ton of promise.

Starbound - the only "finished" game on your list but I find Starbound kind of dull to play as the devs decided a creative sandbox game needed to gate everything behind grind and tedium. It's a shame too though as most of the game works really well. It just makes you do unfun things to experience a lot of it for no real reason.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

NRVNQSR posted:

There's also Magnetic: Cage Closed which I've never found time to try.

Do not play magnetic. It is bad

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

psychopomp posted:

Picked up Dying Light and so far I'm having a blast parkouring over zombies. Scratches my Open World itch pretty well.

Can anyone recommend a good management/sim sort of game? Or a life sim sort of game, I guess.

I picked this up as well, haven't tried it yet. Which is best, a mouse & keyboard or 360 controller?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Hand of Fate builds your dungeon and some of your encounters according to a deck of cards that you can build. So unlocking stuff in one run allows you to slot it in next time to have a chance of finding it, there's persistent quests from run to run as you unlock parts of the storylines, etc.

Hand of Fate is so drat good.

I want to like and buy Hand of Fate but everything I've seen on youtube makes the combat look so half-assed, simplistic and janky I just can't bring myself to do it.

Does the combat ever get better or more complicated than "1. see warning lights above enemy head, 2. press 1 button to counter with melee, 3. repeat" ? Am I only seeing level 1 combat or something or does it stay like that through the whole game?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Dec 30, 2016

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

GreatGreen posted:

Does the combat ever get better or more complicated that "1. see warning lights above enemy head, 2. press 1 button to counter with melee" ? Am I only seeing level 1 combat or something?

A little bit. You start getting enemies with attacks you can't counter and must avoid, poison abilities, maps with traps, etc. as it goes. You also start getting some equipment that adds quirks after a bit.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm maybe gonna get Binding of Isaac, Renowned Explorers, and Wolfenstein. With BoI, should I get Afterbirth? If I remember correctly from the original version of Isaac some people recommended waiting to get the expansion until you got comfortable with the game because it was a universal difficulty increase. Does anything like that happen with Rebirth + Afterbirth?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Is there any way to remove that difficulty bump if you already bought Afterbirth (which I already did...and have been getting my rear end kicked)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Lowness 72 posted:

Is there any way to remove that difficulty bump if you already bought Afterbirth (which I already did...and have been getting my rear end kicked)

You can uninstall the DLC in steam. Not sure what that'll do to the save files though.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I'm getting Farcry 2 vibes from Dying Light with all the map-spanning fetch quests.I hope it stops but this game seems well acquainted with sending me miles away to flip an electric switch.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
drat, Arkham Knight with the season pass is a 50.1 GB download. Good thing we finally got our vectoring VDSL2+ line last week :unsmith:
70 mintues instead of 24 hours.

hatesfreedom
Feb 20, 2007

I make a profit of three and a quarter cents an egg by selling them for four and a quarter cents an egg to the people in Malta I buy them from for seven cents an egg. Of course, I don't make the profit. The syndicate makes the profit. And everybody has a share.

Lester Shy posted:

Could I play Shenzhen IO if I'm too stupid for TIS-100? It looks more user friendly, but I assume the puzzles ramp up in difficulty pretty quick.

It only looks more user friendly. It's actually just as puzzling if not more so than tis-100. That said, if you loved/hated tis-100 like I did then it's a must have. One day. When I finish tis-100. I hit a real wall during the image generator programs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Well that's disappointing. I enjoy the idea of Binding of Isaac but I hate how floating the controls feel and I hate aiming tears. I thought maybe that was a problem with the original release being plagued with issues but it's not. It's just my opinion of the controls. 12 minutes of play time and I've requested a refund. :(

• Locked thread