Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

I didn't know that Marvel was run by dril.

another day working at marvel. everyone keeps asking if they can gently caress amazing fantasy #15. buddy, they won't even let me gently caress it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

Uh actually its showing you that marvel editorial/writing staff has their poo poo together

All of their poo poo. Gathered up into a ball. All of it.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
maybe he can make marvel comics great sell again

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.

Rhyno posted:

All of their poo poo. Gathered up into a ball. All of it.

All of their poo poo together in one event. You can't come up with a more honest description of CW2.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

TwoPair posted:

another day working at marvel. everyone keeps asking if they can gently caress amazing fantasy #15. buddy, they won't even let me gently caress it

Writers $200
Editors $150
Marketing $800
YAAS QUEEN $3,600
Printing $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my cpmics are dying

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Maybe if they did less events and relaunches.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Hootington posted:

Maybe if they did less events and relaunches.

You'll never make it in this industry with that attitude!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

These last couple relaunches have been pretty great though.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Open Marriage Night posted:

These last couple relaunches have been pretty great though.

Are we just talking about Marvel or do you mean period?

EDIT: Just read the new She-Hulk since people were right and I was being an idiot and judging something without even having given it a shot.

Was a very good first issue, I'm liking it a tonne. I am incredibly glad to be wrong and I'm intrigued as to what will happen next.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Dec 30, 2016

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

So are we all in agreement that the way this whole poo poo show was handled is due in part to the Captain Marvel movie coming out soon and this could have been a mandate from the higher ups in Disney? Much like how WB tends to try and gently caress with DC properties.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Jiro posted:

So are we all in agreement that the way this whole poo poo show was handled is due in part to the Captain Marvel movie coming out soon and this could have been a mandate from the higher ups in Disney? Much like how WB tends to try and gently caress with DC properties.

No because they've been trying to make Captain Marvel "A thing" for like... 2 years now? Probably more I admit fully I'm not on the up-and-up on ever decision Marvel's made. The movie is a symptom of their attempt to get her to A-List status, much like the Inhuman's everything and like the previous Iron Man spam was an attempt to "Make Tony the center of the Marvel U"

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Tbh my gut feeling on that is no, it's way too early for that sort of tie in bendis is just fuckhead

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

site posted:

bendis is just fuckhead

Also this, like, engrave this in stone.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yo. Someone get me ready for USAvengers by broadly spoiling all of ANAD New Avengers, please :)

edit: Hey, lookie.

https://www.comixology.com/FREE-IMMORTAL-IRON-FIST-Vol-1/page/13631?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL3NtYWxsQ2Fyb3VzZWw

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Dec 30, 2016

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Oh, also, going way back to our discussions on the Inhumans vs X-Men and if the cloud is the last of the Mists. Does someone have Uncanny 12 or 13? I've heard someone say that Medusa discovered a stash of crystals that could terrigenesize every Inhuman in Attila twice over... But I've not actually seen any proof, admittedly don't own the books, and would like it confirmed before I go off ranting.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Onmi posted:

No because they've been trying to make Captain Marvel "A thing" for like... 2 years now?
It's 4 years and 4 #1s at this point

Teenage Fansub posted:

Yo. Someone get me ready for USAvengers by broadly spoiling all of ANAD New Avengers, please :)
It's way too good to not just read yourself

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Threep posted:

It's way too good to not just read yourself

I wanna jump on USA next week. I ain't got time for that!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Teenage Fansub posted:

Somewhere along the line Roberto DaCosta figured out how to Plan poo poo In Advance and it is glorious.

Oh, right, you probably want something more informative than that. "Sunspot took over AIM, then turned over all the Bad Parts of it to the US government. Also the Maker was not as smart as he thought he was."

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

This stuff is frustrating to me because, like. Carol has been one of my favorites since Busiek's Avengers run, back when she was Warbird. When she showed up on EMH I was really excited to see her used well, and I think she has a lot of potential and deserves the prominence they've been trying to give her.

But the execution.

It's frustrating, like I said. But I do earnestly think she deserves better than where they've taken her.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

This stuff is frustrating to me because, like. Carol has been one of my favorites since Busiek's Avengers run, back when she was Warbird. When she showed up on EMH I was really excited to see her used well, and I think she has a lot of potential and deserves the prominence they've been trying to give her.

But the execution.

It's frustrating, like I said. But I do earnestly think she deserves better than where they've taken her.

Look, there isn't any reason she can't be there Wonder Woman and an A-List hero in her own right. I mean, they have half of it down, she's a poster-child in the advertisement and all that. They just have to get the other half right.

Ya know, the quality books with a positive portrayal that people can get behind and not being an ultra-facist.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I know that, man. I just like, wish they'd do right by her instead of... all they've been doing. It's doubly frustrating considering my earliest impressions of her were Busiek rebuilding her character after all the poo poo she went through prior. Now she's being torn down a different way when they're supposed to be building her up and I dunno.

It makes me a little sad I guess. She was written as a character who had difficulty having trust in other people and believing in herself when I first started reading about her, and I found something really meaningful in her trying to overcome all that along with her inner demons. Considering a lot of the worse stuff writers have done to her this direction they're taking her feels rather unfortunate.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Dec 30, 2016

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Teenage Fansub posted:

Imagine an anime where two guys are fighting and they plan poo poo against the other but they obviously know what's being planned against them so they establish plans for those plans and it's basically plans all the way down. Now imagine the guys are Da Costa and The Maker (Reed from the Ultimate Universe). Also Squirrel Girl is there somewhere and there's American Kaiju (think Godzilla with the US Flag on its chest) fighting a giant mech robot.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Imagine an anime where two guys are fighting and they plan poo poo against the other but they obviously know what's being planned against them so they establish plans for those plans and it's basically plans all the way down. Now imagine the guys are Da Costa and The Maker (Reed from the Ultimate Universe). Also Squirrel Girl is there somewhere and there's American Kaiju (think Godzilla with the US Flag on its chest) fighting a giant mech robot.

Wait, Ultimate Reed is still around? I thought Secret Wars offed him.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

I know that, man. I just like, wish they'd do right by her instead of... all they've been doing. It's doubly frustrating considering my earliest impressions of her were Busiek rebuilding her character after all the poo poo she went through prior. Now she's being torn down a different way when they're supposed to be building her up and I dunno.

It makes me a little sad I guess. She was written as a character who had difficulty having trust in other people and believing in herself when I first started reading about her, and I found something really meaningful in her trying to overcome all that along with her inner demons. Considering a lot of the worse stuff writers have done to her this direction they're taking her feels rather unfortunate.

I'm going to modify a saying. If a writer is making GBS threads on a character because they don't like them, then eventually editorial or another writer will step in and pull them from the rubble. But when editorial and the writer are convinced they're doing right by the character, there's no one to objectively stop them. Which is Marvel right now with Carol. They are convinced they are doing right by Carol, Bendis said he was shocked that no one was on Carol's side. And you, or I, or a 4 year old could tell them that Civil War II was not helping a character that a lot of old fans were getting sick of due to getting shoved down their throats for 4 years with books that honestly weren't that good. And new fans would see advocating for minority report poo poo that everyone and their mother has already seen explored.

I'm with you, I actually really like Carol Danvers the super hero because, for the longest time, she was to a degree a gently caress-up. She got kicked off the avengers, she had issues, had been betrayed and hurt by others. She was housing in her soul the mind of a warrior who desired glorious battle, while herself just trying to be a hero. She had to hire a god damned PR crew in-universe to clean up her image. I like heroes with flaws, and Carol overcoming her own issues while becoming strong in her own right and rising above herself is a great tale. No amount of smacking her with the Guardians, having her try the Indie recipe for success or having everyone tell you she's "The Greatest" will actually make her more popular or make that any more true. It just makes jaded readers reject what she's in without giving it a chance and it makes new readers see through the stifling obvious hand that marvel is playing.

Carol really should be able to get to A-List status, and not because Marvel wants her there, but because she's an interesting character with complex flaws but deep down the soul of a hero. Let her hero. That said, I actually didn't dislike the #0, except for maybe one or two pages. It felt like the writer was also sick of the stifling poo poo happening to her character. Although it is weird they brought Doc Samson back from the dead to be her therapist and then created a new one for her new series but, hey, that's a nit-pick. And the Fighting Herself analog is, while pretty correct for the character, very tired, and not at all apparent giving the Civil War II shitfest. It's not like she lost control and killed Tony, she blasted him (in a fight he started) and put him in a 'coma' rather than coming away from CWII having lost everything, she comes away having gained more. Of course... that would imply Civil War II had a good ending or, if we're being honest "An ending"

I hope the movie is good, I hope that her new series actually takes off and treats her well, I hope Marvel stops trying to 'help' her popularity grow.

Actually, I am curious, Rhyno, is there any like store opinion on Captain Marvel and what Marvel is trying to do, any real feedback?

TFRazorsaw posted:

Nah, he's still kicking it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

TFRazorsaw posted:

Yeah, he's the main bad guy on New Avengers and I think he's going to be popping on both Ultimates and Doom Iron Man (can't loving wait for Doom to realize who the Maker is)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

... HOW???

Didn't he get turned into like, food or something?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

TFRazorsaw posted:

Didn't he get turned into like, food or something?

He got better.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Is... there a story to that at least?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

TFRazorsaw posted:

Is... there a story to that at least?

Reed rebooted everything at the end of Secret Wars. Pieces of the Ultimate universe made it to Earth Prime. It's not like he and Franklin were going with a fine comb to make sure everything was good. Same reason Miles is now an established character on Earth Prime and his mom is alive while still having Peter Parker around also as Spider-Man.

Now as for people realizing this is not how things were, Doom remembers Secret Wars. Same with Reed and Susan (who are still rebuilding the multi-verse with the FF). The Maker has hinted / is looking into the whole universe not being the right one and in Ultimates Blue Marvel has been researching into the event that happened a few months prior (Secret Wars). No idea who else knows.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Dec 30, 2016

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Yep, there's a story to it. Molecule Man basically made him his analogue in the new multiverse. When he split the Maker up into slices, he seeded each slice into the new universes the FF are creating, and each Maker has the same mission in each reality.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That is terrifying.

Do the Ultimate characters like Miles have new histories in this reality or do they like, just remember living in a universe that doesn't exist anymore?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I don't think anyone remembers Secret Wars except for Reed, Molecule Man, and maybe Doom and Thanos.

Ultimate characters like Miles just grew up in the current universe.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That. Huh. Have they fleshed out his new background at all then? I mean. His entire character is built on succeeding a Spider-Man who died.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

They haven't gone into detail and probably won't. Now it's just that he was inspired by Spider-Man and got his blessing to use the name.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I feel as though eventually someone is gonna try to tackle that.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Gwenpool remembers for obvious reasons and she also managed to confuse the hell out of Miles when the two met.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Pureauthor posted:

Gwenpool remembers for obvious reasons and she also managed to confuse the hell out of Miles when the two met.

Deadpool also remembers, but I don't think characters that break the 4th wall count!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Codependent Poster posted:

Deadpool also remembers, but I don't think characters that break the 4th wall count!

What about She-Hulk, then?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

What about She-Hulk, then?

Current She-Hulk no longer breaks the 4th wall, I think. Then again she does seem a bit self-aware even in her new series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

hope and vaseline posted:

Yep, there's a story to it. Molecule Man basically made him his analogue in the new multiverse. When he split the Maker up into slices, he seeded each slice into the new universes the FF are creating, and each Maker has the same mission in each reality.

Whoa what book did this happen in.

• Locked thread