Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

it's front wheel drive. you could saw the car in half and the front half would still drive as long as it had fuel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Except for get out of the way in the first place.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
I have run that locomotive. The UP 7713. I know this because the first BRAND NEW locomotive I ever rode as a conductor back in 1998 was the UP 7313.

As an engineer I had it, and was questioning if it were the same locomotive, but re-numbered. Turned out the UP 7313 is still alive though.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Did they high-center it in the first place? I swear I heard them revving it.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
EX, has a lip spoiler.

Timbo
Jun 18, 2005

He was just another drifter who broke the law!
My only observed dealing with Train personnel.

Highscool soccer practice was held between the railroad tracks and campus. As we gathered around the field a troubled young man (for the story we will call him Jake) was running from the main academics building towards the train tracks and the neighborhood behind that.

Jake had clearly done something wrong because behind him were 2 campus resource officers chasing him down. A third officer was driving a squad car across the other pratice fields to intercept Jake.

The chase came to a conclusion when the younger of the 2 on foot cops snagged Jake as he was trying to cross (just made it halfway) the tracks. Jake was quickly thrown into the squad car and the officers began to do recount the event and start paper work.

I can only assume that one of the officers called the Union Pacifc police because an SUV with the UP crest came rolling through the pratice field about 15 min later. The UP officer walked over to the campus squad car and started talking to the campus PD. Jake was brought out of the squad car and he began to swear at the all the cops.

The UP officer looked at the other officers then looked at Jake, he put down his notebook and grabbed Jake (mind you how was cuffed up) and slammed him into the ground and then slammed him into the side of his SUV. Finally throwning Jake into the back of the SUV. The ENTIRE soccer team just stood there speechless.

I can remember coach just walking up to us and saying " Never mess with a Train Dick"

Didnt see Jake for quite some time after that

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

rip jake

B4Ctom1 posted:

Except for get out of the way in the first place.

it was stuck. mr choochoo train helped it not stuck

seriously though 90% sure they were shitfaced. idk why else they would run, except maybe just panic

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

B4Ctom1 posted:

I have run that locomotive. The UP 7713. I know this because the first BRAND NEW locomotive I ever rode as a conductor back in 1998 was the UP 7313.

As an engineer I had it, and was questioning if it were the same locomotive, but re-numbered. Turned out the UP 7313 is still alive though.

thats csx power or am i missing what you're trying to say...

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

thats csx power or am i missing what you're trying to say...

The slightly more compact car hit at the crossing and driving away video. Not the moving truck hit at the crossing video.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

B4Ctom1 posted:

The slightly more compact car hit at the crossing and driving away video. Not the moving truck hit at the crossing video.

yeah...the honda getting hit at the crossing was csx power. i think the moving truck getting hit was ns.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Norfolk Southern is the only line that runs on that track in Norcross.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

yeah...the honda getting hit at the crossing was csx power.

poo poo. I could have sworn it was UP. I guess that I must have come to that conclusion looking at it on my phone? I don't even know how I couldn't tell that.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Timbo posted:

My only observed dealing with Train personnel.

Highscool soccer practice was held between the railroad tracks and campus. As we gathered around the field a troubled young man (for the story we will call him Jake) was running from the main academics building towards the train tracks and the neighborhood behind that.

Jake had clearly done something wrong because behind him were 2 campus resource officers chasing him down. A third officer was driving a squad car across the other pratice fields to intercept Jake.

The chase came to a conclusion when the younger of the 2 on foot cops snagged Jake as he was trying to cross (just made it halfway) the tracks. Jake was quickly thrown into the squad car and the officers began to do recount the event and start paper work.

I can only assume that one of the officers called the Union Pacifc police because an SUV with the UP crest came rolling through the pratice field about 15 min later. The UP officer walked over to the campus squad car and started talking to the campus PD. Jake was brought out of the squad car and he began to swear at the all the cops.

The UP officer looked at the other officers then looked at Jake, he put down his notebook and grabbed Jake (mind you how was cuffed up) and slammed him into the ground and then slammed him into the side of his SUV. Finally throwning Jake into the back of the SUV. The ENTIRE soccer team just stood there speechless.

I can remember coach just walking up to us and saying " Never mess with a Train Dick"

Didnt see Jake for quite some time after that

lol who was it though really

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Here is a fascinating blog post on a group trying to diagnose what was causing trains to randomly get a loss of signal which meant an immediate e-stop. This is from Singapore which explains why I hadn't heard about it until now.
https://blog.data.gov.sg/how-we-caught-the-circle-line-rogue-train-with-data-79405c86ab6a#.n7rurr23s

TLDR: A new engine was put into service last year that apparently caused a strong enough interference to create loss of signal incidents on other trains it passed. However, it wasn't obvious because the incidents were randomly scattered about instead of in a single area.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 23, 2021

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

sincx posted:

Why are wooden railroad ties still used at crossovers on lines that otherwise have all-concrete ties? Is there no way to switch tracks over concrete ties?

Cost.

Concrete ties come with the studs for the anchors included during the casting process, making them very strong, but fixed in their position. Since most crossovers / junctions are somewhat custom, it's easier to use ties you can measure and drill onsite. It also makes repairs easier, as you don't need to stock or get potentially custom parts with long lead times.

I think europe has stricter standards for such things, so you get 'premade' setups with fixed angles/lengths that make replacement parts easier to obtain, and these are starting to be used in other areas. Rail has long lifetimes, though, so transitioning is be slow.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
There are other things to consider. Cost and down time are chief among them. Many of the turnouts/crossovers switches are made by 3rd party contractors off site. They are often made to be put in place in two or 3 modular pieces. that bolt together.

The big deal here is the kinds of cranes that are mobile, portable, and practical enough to be able to pull out the old switch sections and put the new ones in place with a minimum of down time. Often there isn't great access for larger cranes. The variety of equipment and process used to do it quickly means that concrete ties cannot be used in those switch sections. They would simply be too heavy.

Sure you could spend a fortune to erect massive cranes on site, but those are a much bigger production, and not as mobile. As switches are swung into place, they are often lifted over adjacent tracks. That isn't the problem, what is a problem, is the space between the fences at the property lines and the track bed are often small. The crews doing it might be required to put two or three whole switches into place in a day. There is no way to do that if the switch sections weigh 50 tons. Not and still be able to move the circus along over to the next switch and do it there before you run out of hours.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
http://www.up.com/aboutup/community/inside_track/selfie-tragedy-12-7-2016.htm

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
https://www.facebook.com/jvillagomezvillalobos/videos/1081604715218178/

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Well they got their photo published.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Saw this on imgur

at first I thought, why in the world would they do this. Then I realized it was an accident.

Axeman Jim
Nov 21, 2010

The Canadians replied that they would rather ride a moose.
Oh hey, we picked up that idea and ran with it.

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

Axeman Jim posted:

Oh hey, we picked up that idea and ran with it.

I love that it says "Special Delivery" on the loco. :five:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:sigh: loving morons

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

iospace posted:

:sigh: loving morons

"Selfie tragedy" is a bizzare and haunting phrase. Though definitely not the most haunting part of that story.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Though definitely not the most haunting part of that story.

Yeah that would be the selfie with the train bringing their doom visible in the background. I'm kind of shocked they published that.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Geoj posted:

Yeah that would be the selfie with the train bringing their doom visible in the background. I'm kind of shocked they published that.

The picture isn't intrinsically gory, but it's incredibly striking. (No pun intended. :sigh: ) Honestly with some traction, I feel like it could win a Pulitzer Prize.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

NoWake posted:

Honestly with some traction

:perfect:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Can somebody link me the video of the Japanese train that plays a melody as it accelerates? Sorry I want to show somebody and I couldn't figure out what to Google.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

I'm still impressed by how unsettling and postmodern the phrase "selfie tragedy" feels. It feels like the sort of thing that would have fascinated Andy Warhol.

CharlesM posted:

Can somebody link me the video of the Japanese train that plays a melody as it accelerates? Sorry I want to show somebody and I couldn't figure out what to Google.

like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAGgbAH6jok

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
I can't think of anything to put here.
This is the one that comes to mind, but it's from Austria(I think) so I'm not sure if it's what you're talking about : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zDkTVFL61g

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I thought the HST did that as well.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

MeatloafCat posted:

This is the one that comes to mind, but it's from Austria(I think) so I'm not sure if it's what you're talking about : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zDkTVFL61g

Yeah, like this, I meant from the electric motors

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I think the Montreal metro also does something similar.

Edit: yep.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Dec 30, 2016

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

FISHMANPET posted:

I thought the HST did that as well.

Maybe if your favourite artist is Merzbow? The HST either makes a one note deafening shriek, or nowadays a slightly less deafening rumble.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

CharlesM posted:

Yeah, like this, I meant from the electric motors
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz4U7l9x1wQ&t=35s
The dutch double-deck intercity coaches do that kind of thing.

Axeman Jim
Nov 21, 2010

The Canadians replied that they would rather ride a moose.
So the dreaded "Pacer" has to be withdrawn by 2020 (giving it a 35-year life instead of the 20 it was intended to have) because it will not meet the safety and access standards required by that date, and, in glorious British tradition, our traction chiefs have been thinking: "How we can build something cheap and poo poo as a "stopgap" that will undoubtedly end up in service for half a century anyway, like the previous two generations?"

Introducing the class 230:

It's an old London Underground train from the 1970s, withdrawn and replaced by LUL, with a diesel engine jammed into it to turn it into a diesel-electric multiple unit (DEMU). As "cheap and poo poo" goes, it's very much in the tradition of the Pacer. But at least it meets the access and safety requirements, and has proper wheels and suspension and is generally built a bit better, despite being 10 years older than the trains it's supposed to replace. They've put the prototype into service on the Coventry to Nuneaton line, a line that badly needs extra capacity due to a football stadium and new station recently being built and some new housing estates springing up along the line.

So far the testing is going really well:

:britain:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-38470783

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I love England. Never change.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I really needed an Axeman Jim post.

In related "is going cheap REALLY the best idea?" news, LA Metro has joined Boston and Chicago in ordering subway cars from Chinese government owned CRRC, being assembled in Massachusetts. Because nothing screams longterm reliability like high quality Chinese materials and American assembly quality. First cars should show up in 2019 in Boston, and 2020 in Chicago and LA. Should be fun.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Dec 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Axeman Jim posted:

It's an old London Underground train from the 1970s, withdrawn and replaced by LUL, with a diesel engine jammed into it to turn it into a diesel-electric multiple unit (DEMU).

Oh, that's actually more poo poo than I imagined. Good to hear the testing is going as expected.