Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Casimir Radon posted:

Ok that's good. The ironic thing is I probably never would have found out if the shitbag she talked to on the phone hadn't tried to scam $100 more out of her after she gave them $35.

That's so low it almost seems like a real thing. Most of the scammers here start at $200 and go up to $600 for lifetime protection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
In the subject of the sperg's guide to privacy on Windows , is there a nice guide for end users that has "not Mossad" as the adversary instead of this guy's screed?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Volmarias posted:

In the subject of the sperg's guide to privacy on Windows , is there a nice guide for end users that has "not Mossad" as the adversary instead of this guy's screed?

I like Decent Security's list, they explain why they perform every action they do and it all makes sense. Some of what's in the guide you linked is good information but there's a lot of cargo cult stuff and straight-up FUD w/r/t the Microsoft telemetry. If someone tells you to run a utility to remove the telemetry, don't do it.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Volmarias posted:

He goes out of his way to "lock down" Windows because he mistrusts Microsoft when he could just install Linux or some other open source operating system. Personally you are better off guarding yourself against theft than state actors but this concept go over the heads of people like that author.

I'll see what I can do to find a resource but if someone else does find something do share.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

OSI bean dip posted:

He goes out of his way to "lock down" Windows because he mistrusts Microsoft when he could just install Linux or some other open source operating system. Personally you are better off guarding yourself against theft than state actors but this concept go over the heads of people like that author.

I'll see what I can do to find a resource but if someone else does find something do share.

This too, if you're going to spend this much time tweaking Windows you're better off just running FreeBSD.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Segmentation Fault posted:

I like Decent Security's list, they explain why they perform every action they do and it all makes sense. Some of what's in the guide you linked is good information but there's a lot of cargo cult stuff and straight-up FUD w/r/t the Microsoft telemetry. If someone tells you to run a utility to remove the telemetry, don't do it.

Thanks!

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

This too, if you're going to spend this much time tweaking Windows you're better off just running FreeBSD.

Can you even do anything worthwhile with windows that locked down?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

Can you even do anything worthwhile with windows that locked down?

I dunno, but, looking at my logs, my piHole install seems to be blackholing an awful lot of Win10 related Microsoft domains.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

I did something very stupid and now my computer has some nasty malware/virus I cant get rid off. It started out pretty nasty with randomly installing poo poo and taking over chrome. A system restore fixed most of the issues but I keep getting a bunch of popups and no antivirus or antimalware software has been able to completely remove it. Is it time for a full system restore?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

babypolis posted:

I did something very stupid and now my computer has some nasty malware/virus I cant get rid off. It started out pretty nasty with randomly installing poo poo and taking over chrome. A system restore fixed most of the issues but I keep getting a bunch of popups and no antivirus or antimalware software has been able to completely remove it. Is it time for a full system restore?

Flatten and reinstall.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Flatten and reinstall.

How thorugh do I need to be? Can I keep some of my documents and poo poo or should I get rid of everything. What about cleaning the drive

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

babypolis posted:

How thorugh do I need to be? Can I keep some of my documents and poo poo or should I get rid of everything. What about cleaning the drive

Keep your documents, pictures, music, and all that, but don't keep any applications.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

OSI bean dip posted:

Keep your documents, pictures, music, and all that, but don't keep any applications.

What's the best way to keep that stuff in this kind of situation? A cloud service? Stacks of DVD-Rs? A usb hard drive? I am inclined to distrust a USB drive that has been plugged into a known malware-ridden machine but I am admittedly an interested layperson at best when it comes to this stuff and would appreciate the input of others.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

andrew smash posted:

What's the best way to keep that stuff in this kind of situation? A cloud service? Stacks of DVD-Rs? A usb hard drive? I am inclined to distrust a USB drive that has been plugged into a known malware-ridden machine but I am admittedly an interested layperson at best when it comes to this stuff and would appreciate the input of others.

Windows 10 allows you to reset your system while leaving your documents intact - although it's still recommended to make backups before running it, and I'm not sure if a 'partial' system restore like that cleans up every possible infection.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

andrew smash posted:

You're not going to run into something that can turn a USB drive into an infection source on 99.9% of computers. Copy any documents, pictures, music etc you want off the pc, format the drive and reinstall windows.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

uPen posted:

You're not going to run into something that can turn a USB drive into an infection source on 99.9% of computers. Copy any documents, pictures, music etc you want off the pc, format the drive and reinstall windows.
I think if you look at the sum total of all infected computers you will find that figure decreases dramatically into the single digits.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Carbon dioxide posted:

Windows 10 allows you to reset your system while leaving your documents intact - although it's still recommended to make backups before running it, and I'm not sure if a 'partial' system restore like that cleans up every possible infection.

It is not recommended that you use this method. It is better to install from a source that isn't likely to be infected itself.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

uPen posted:

This is bad advice, imo. Use a cloud solution.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

uPen posted:

Yeah this is bunk. Any file system mounted RW on an infected machine should be considered compromised.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

RFC2324 posted:

This is bad advice, imo. Use a cloud solution.

My inclination would be to boot the machine to a non-Windows OS and copy the files off to physical media that way.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

CaptainSarcastic posted:

My inclination would be to boot the machine to a non-Windows OS and copy the files off to physical media that way.

This is what I would do.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Wheany posted:

This is what I would do.

Which I just did for a buddy's infected machine, prior to nuking and paving it. Although, if you are working on an infected 8/10 install it has gotten to be much more a pain in the rear end then it used to be. The enhanced boot speed is gained by a hybrid hibernation technique, which tends to leave a lot of Linux distros to not want to mount it, as it is in a "dirty" condition. So, you need to make a mount point then mount it read only.

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jan 14, 2017

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Wheany posted:

This is what I would do.

I keep an old Ubuntu disk around just for that.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
This is going to be a pretty dumb question but here goes. Just got a new Chromebook R11 and we're headed to vacation in Mexico. I was hoping to get a little bit of work done while we're there on the hotel's wifi. Ignoring the probably dumb risk of bringing my laptop to Mexico on vacation, do I need to worry about getting my poo poo e-humped if I'm using some hotels goofy wifi to do the business emails and maybe some bank stuff? For that matter, am I stupid to do anything like that in some US coffee shop as well?

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

idiotsavant posted:

This is going to be a pretty dumb question but here goes. Just got a new Chromebook R11 and we're headed to vacation in Mexico. I was hoping to get a little bit of work done while we're there on the hotel's wifi. Ignoring the probably dumb risk of bringing my laptop to Mexico on vacation, do I need to worry about getting my poo poo e-humped if I'm using some hotels goofy wifi to do the business emails and maybe some bank stuff? For that matter, am I stupid to do anything like that in some US coffee shop as well?
Good idea to use a VPN when on public wifi, doesn't matter which country.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
hello what is this thread doing in the yospos

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

My eyes!!!! :psypop:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

pr0zac posted:

lol

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

pr0zac posted:

Ewww, there are grey people in here! Get it out!

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
Please move this thread out of here.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I'm getting whiplash!

Shroom King
Sep 3, 2011

I have Webroot SecureAnywhere as my AV but this thread encouraged me to download Microsoft Security Essentials. So far, they play nice together. I guess 2 AV programs are better than one?

I also have a password manager that is totally secure from internet phishing/hacking: a pen and a piece of paper.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Shroom King posted:

I have Webroot SecureAnywhere as my AV but this thread encouraged me to download Microsoft Security Essentials. So far, they play nice together. I guess 2 AV programs are better than one?

I also have a password manager that is totally secure from internet phishing/hacking: a pen and a piece of paper.

That's not actually totally secure from phishing.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Shroom King posted:

Running two anti-virus products is counterproductive. What OS are you running?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Shroom King posted:

Much like wearing two condoms makes you less safe, it's the same for endpoint security software.

Ditch webroot and keep MSE.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cup Runneth Over posted:

That's not actually totally secure from phishing.

It's not even a little bit secure from phishing.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Shroom King posted:

Phishing is getting tricked into disclosing your credentials to an imposter. If you can't tell the difference you'll copy your password right off the paper into the wrong website.

Shroom King
Sep 3, 2011

OSI bean dip posted:

Running two anti-virus products is counterproductive. What OS are you running?

Windows 7. After Microsoft seeded my computer with 5GB of Windows 10 installation files without my consent, I decided not to upgrade. I actually cloned my aging HDD to an SSD in order to keep Windows 7 longer.

Noted about what phishing actually is.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Shroom King posted:

Windows 7. After Microsoft seeded my computer with 5GB of Windows 10 installation files without my consent, I decided not to upgrade. I actually cloned my aging HDD to an SSD in order to keep Windows 7 longer.

Noted about what phishing actually is.

Update to Windows 10 and stop making irrational decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

OSI bean dip posted:

stop making irrational decisions

Sort of a big ask.