Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

oh no we wouldn't want to impugn the honor of the opiate thread and their mission of arm reduction

I'm all about impugning them I just don't want them getting credit for that piece of stupidity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I saw 82 posts and figured something had happened but no it's just a bunch of dumb posts arguing about ARE GUNZ.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

here we go
:catdrugs:
cya later oxy-addicted hicks

:staredog:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
this thread is basically tens of thousands of posts about ARE GUNZ when you think about it (and I often do)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm going to picture him shouting "AM I BEING DETAINED?" at his monitor, clicking the probate button, and then chuckling in satisfaction.

Thank you for this incredibly headcanon, btw.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

VikingSkull posted:

this thread is basically tens of thousands of posts about ARE GUNZ when you think about it (and I often do)

I am not a gun haver but I support the cop(s) that rocked that old man *ah poo poo i can't find his name from google search terms 'old oregon man shot by cop'*

Well, whatever his name was he was a dumbass and the cop was dumber than he was to martyr him.

I'm so conflicted.

loving google

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2016/11/man_shot_on_morrison_bridge_en.html

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

syscall girl posted:

I am not a gun haver but I support the cop(s) that rocked that old man *ah poo poo i can't find his name from google search terms 'old oregon man shot by cop'*

Well, whatever his name was he was a dumbass and the cop was dumber than he was to martyr him.

I'm so conflicted.

loving google

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2016/11/man_shot_on_morrison_bridge_en.html

LaVoy Finicum?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

LaVoy Finicum?

Yes, thank you.

Dumb name, dumb death.

Lavoy you were a human being, why did you need to push it so far?

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

VikingSkull posted:

realtalk I had oxy's a bunch when I had back issues and that poo poo rules but yeah like don't do stuff like that on the reg

Coming down after a week of oxy 'cause of my back was shiiiiitty.

Basically a first-hand lesson in why being drugged up on opioids is a terrible idea.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
man a week ain't poo poo I was prescribed that stuff for months

luckily my doctor was smart enough to wean me down in dosage, then onto vicodin, then nothing

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

OWLS! posted:

Coming down after a week of oxy 'cause of my back was shiiiiitty.

Basically a first-hand lesson in why being drugged up on opioids is a terrible idea.
One of my favorite TCC posts was from a guy who got in a car accident, broke his pelvis, was prescribed oxycodone 10mg every 6 hours for eight weeks, and then just stopped. He came to TCC to ask why he was sweating through his bedsheets, unable to sleep, and generally feeling like death warmed over.

The_Book_Of_Harry
Apr 30, 2013

Captain_Maclaine posted:

You badly misunderstood the nature of the relationship the framers of the constitution had with armed force and their complicated attitudes towards militia vs. standing armies, as well as the important differences between those two as understood in the late 18th century.

A staggering number of people who refuse to engage honestly can be described by this statement.

Also lol @self-preservation being equivalent to something like "the right to revolt (and win!)"

Also lol@equating statements akin to "the US military has overwhelming weapons advantages" being taken as "nuke all dissenters from space, especially unarmed civilians"

----

gently caress you troglodytes for wasting my lunch break.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

syscall girl posted:

Yes, thank you.

Dumb name, dumb death.

Lavoy you were a human being, why did you need to push it so far?

for TruM p!!! the the Trump

T
R
u
c
k

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

for TruM p!!! the the Trump

T
R
u
c
k

This could actually be reality.

Reality got real weird.

The Apprentice is now hosted by future president Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

They probably have a better outlook then a piece of poo poo like you eager for the US Government to deploy military weaponry against civilians.

philadelphia was fine with it

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Jose posted:

philadelphia was fine with it

nah it was FBI supplied breaching explosives not a hellfire from a drone

The_Book_Of_Harry
Apr 30, 2013

VikingSkull posted:

nah it was FBI supplied breaching explosives not a hellfire from a drone

FBI isn't part of government, more at 11

:commissar:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

The_Book_Of_Harry posted:

FBI isn't part of government, more at 11

:commissar:

we kinda have laws that give the government power but also have laws that prevent the military from being used against civilians

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

VikingSkull posted:

we kinda have laws that give the government power but also have laws that prevent the military from being used against civilians
With some of the equipment and training used by civilian law enforcement, the line between FBI and military becomes blurry at times.

TotalLossBrain has issued a correction as of 02:56 on Jan 2, 2017

red19fire
May 26, 2010

TotalLossBrain posted:

With some of the equipment and training used by civilian law enforcement, the line between FBI and military becomes blurry at times.

My tiny town had a swat tank for a while thanks to the the post-9/11 blank checks, because there's a reservoir that's technically a terror target. It sat in the municipal lot for like 3 years, then the government bought it back for pennies on the dollar.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

TotalLossBrain posted:

you definitely won't get a pro-militarization of police argument outta me

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

VikingSkull posted:

you definitely won't get a pro-militarization of police argument outta me

I guess my point was only that the constitution preventing use of the US military against its own citizens inside its own borders becomes less and less meaningful as police forces continue to be militarized.

And besides all that, the US military has killed US citizens without trial before and somehow justified it. (Abroad, granted)

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
yeah but in a post 9/11 world it's at least understandable as to why some police forces and perhaps all Federal agencies have stuff like submachine guns and carbines, plus armored vehicles, doubly so after stuff like the LA bank robber shootout

but that's a far cry from using literal military assets like drones and guided missiles

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Weren't unarmed drones used at Malheur during the occupation? I think I remember CrossDraw and Fry taking pot shots at them.

Anyhow, you're right: I don't see police using armed aircraft or artillery anytime soon. But in the back of my mind I know that military assets have already been used in such a manner against our own citizens, just not on our soil. And the use wasn't even terribly well justified.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
The plane that got shot at was piloted but they may have used surveillance drones.

Which, really, isn't all that different than a police helicopter.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

TotalLossBrain posted:

Weren't unarmed drones used at Malheur during the occupation? I think I remember CrossDraw and Fry taking pot shots at them.

Anyhow, you're right: I don't see police using armed aircraft or artillery anytime soon. But in the back of my mind I know that military assets have already been used in such a manner against our own citizens, just not on our soil. And the use wasn't even terribly well justified.
Fry and Tarpboy probably saw a lot of things that weren't there.

The_Book_Of_Harry
Apr 30, 2013

VikingSkull posted:

Yeah.

But if it's a violent overthrow of a state rather than a "protest," I doubt those revolutionaries would self-identify as citizens. Well, until they faced the prospect of losing, anyhow.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
literally every modern civil war across the globe has featured segments of the armed forces of said nation defecting and joining the rebel side so talking about military power under those terms kinda gets a lil wonky at best

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

The_Book_Of_Harry posted:

Yeah.

But if it's a violent overthrow of a state rather than a "protest," I doubt those revolutionaries would self-identify as citizens. Well, until they faced the prospect of losing, anyhow.

i like it when these sovcits also self-identify as patriots

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i'm a patriot of the sovereignty of me

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

VikingSkull posted:

literally every modern civil war across the globe has featured segments of the armed forces of said nation defecting and joining the rebel side so talking about military power under those terms kinda gets a lil wonky at best

This is key. If a civil war would ever happen the military has to have to factionalized. If that doesn't happen, then you aren't talking about anything significant and law enforcement can handle it.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
it's also worth noting that the bulk of our nuclear weapons exist in solidly red states

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
um theres LOADS of nukes on the coasts

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
3x piddlying icbm fields ain't gonna cut it1!

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
well to be fair there's tons of nukes under the ocean too including some that have been there an awfully long time

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
most of the uranium on earth is under the ocean floor
makes u think

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
something must be done about those Atlantians

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Baloogan posted:

3x piddlying icbm fields ain't gonna cut it1!

Pantex, motherfucker! Tex should give you a hint at where it's located.

Of course, it's not like the 101st or the 82nd Airborne wouldn't be dropped down in Amarillo or a cavalry division scrambled out of Fort Hood if any type of secessionist movement got big enough to cause an uprising.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
again, you're making the mistake of assuming people in the military don't side with a true secessionist movement

like, my grandfather was John Brown, captured by a Marine force led by guess who? Robert E Lee

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think you only really get the kind of state susceptible to a civil war when you're already at a fairly high level of chaos and sectarian violence. The United States, for all its problems, is a very stable society with a relatively high standard of living. It may not be super awesome compared to some Scandinavian paradise, but when you take it in the context of the United States vs. Turkey you can see a marked difference.

While I doubt American soldiers would eagerly start blowing up their fellow citizens in Texas and would probably rebel against authority if ordered to do so, the fact remains that this scenario is extremely unlikely to begin with. We're not the kind of country where protesters get machine gunned in the streets, or the Bundys get supplied with ATGMs and up-armored Humvees by Saudi Arabia to press their attack on Washington DC. And honestly, life is pretty drat good in America compared to just about every country that's seen a coup or civil war in recent decades. This makes it hard for a true revolution to form, which is why you just get scenarios like Malheur instead of American Spring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

VikingSkull posted:

again, you're making the mistake of assuming people in the military don't side with a true secessionist movement

like, my grandfather was John Brown, captured by a Marine force led by guess who? Robert E Lee

plz update us on moldering status