Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Of course Embiid doesn't deserve to be in the All-Star game. He hasn't played enough. But there are so many other good reasons for him to be there, like his smile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Kobe didn't deserve to be in the all-star for years, but the popular vote can swing things

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Embiid will probably be in the Rising Stars game and that'll be fun enough.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

I have no regrets

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I went with

Lowry
Kemba
Giannis
Butler
Kristaps

Westbrook
Harden
Leonard
Durant
Davis

I left LeBron off my ballot because Giannis Jimmy and KING ZING need my votes and LeBron can get in just fine without me.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I'm pissed that Melo and Rose are going to steal a lot of non-Knicks fan votes that would otherwise go to Kristaps if he was the only star in town.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Henchman of Santa posted:

Embiid will probably be in the Rising Stars game and that'll be fun enough.

That game is going to be extremely fun (again).

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

https://twitter.com/Cowbell_Kingdom/status/814858197508886528

Koufos for Patrick Beverly is what I want.

Koufos for Corey Brewer is what I'll get.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Everyone should be voting Embiid and Paul George

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
http://www.espn.com/blog/marc-stein/post/_/id/4859/how-bulls-hoiberg-ended-up-in-the-nbas-hottest-seat

quote:

The latest chatter on the coaching grapevine, meanwhile, tells us that the toastiest seat on the NBA map at present belongs, rightly or wrongly, to the Chicago Bulls' Fred Hoiberg.

The Bulls’ largely disappointing play in December, on the heels of a non-playoff season, has put Hoiberg under earlier-than-expected pressure, according to league sources.

Just to be clear: Hoiberg isn’t exactly alone in the crosshairs in Chicago. Thanks to a succession of underwhelming first-round draft picks and a roster construction that has been questioned from the moment it materialized over the summer, fan frustration with the front-office tag team of John Paxson and Gar Forman has never been more tangible, ‎rising steadily since Rajon Rondo and then Dwyane Wade were signed as the marquee additions to a roster already light on proven perimeter threats to space the floor.

Yet sources told ESPN.com this week that the Bulls have been increasingly assessing the coaching fit as well, sparked by an ongoing dip in the team’s level of play and consistency that began with an unraveling at home on Dec. 13 from 21 points up against the Minnesota Timberwolves and a certain Tom Thibodeau.

The greatest source of insulation that has protected Hoiberg to this point, sources say, is the fact that making a change now would require the Bulls to swallow significant guaranteed money on his five-year contract valued in the $25 million range.

But sources say the Bulls have been concerned with the team's responsiveness to its young coach ‎and Hoiberg's hold on a veteran roster in his second season since making the jump from Iowa State to the NBA in June 2015.

The Bulls, remember, jumped out to a hopeful 8-4 start. Through the end of November, Chicago sported a 10-7 record and the league's fourth-best scoring margin, behind only the Golden State Warriors, Los Angeles Clippers and Cleveland Cavaliers.

But the 1-6 funk that began with the Timberwolves collapse left the Bulls, as of Monday morning, having been outscored by 5.8 points per game in December. That represented the league's largest drop in average scoring margin from month to month at minus-11.4, worse than the November-to-December slumping suffered by the Atlanta Hawks (minus-10.2 PPG) and the Los Angeles Lakers (minus-7.6 PPG).

Although Chicago has since mustered two wins this week, neither was especially reassuring. The Bulls outlasted the equally inconsistent Indiana Pacers on Monday night in a 90-85 grind, then escaped with a two-point win Wednesday night at home over lowly Brooklyn when Jimmy Butler -- playing the ball of his life since returning from the Rio Olympics -- sank the first buzzer-beater of his career in a brilliant 40-point, 11-rebound show.

The Bulls, though, had to erase a 97-90 deficit at home with less than three minutes to go to turn away the 8-23 Nets.

Hoiberg has a longtime admirer in Forman and was handpicked by the Bulls out of the college ranks well before the end of Thibodeau's reign, billed as the ideal candidate personality-wise to mesh with Chicago management after the successful but tense co-existence with Thibodeau for the duo known locally as GarPax.‎

The Bulls went 42-40 in Hoiberg's debut campaign, missing the playoffs for the first time in eight seasons. The coaching staff was then shuffled coming into this season, as well as the roster, but the departures of Derrick Rose and Joakim Noah and corresponding arrivals of Wade, Rondo and Michael Carter-Williams haven't nudged the 16-16 Bulls any closer to the 50-win standard Thibs established.

Is the new coach really the chief culprit for those struggles? Fair question. Hoiberg sympathizers would undoubtedly say that the Bulls still don't have the sort of offensive options to carry out his desire to play a fast-paced, spread-the-floor game, which is obviously more about Paxson and Forman ‎than the guy on the bench.

Hoiberg, however, was billed by Forman on the way in as an offensive guru. Almost a season and a half post-Thibs, Chicago’s O is as isolation-heavy and predictable as ever.

Perhaps the Houdini act against Brooklyn was the start of something. Perhaps Hoiberg can keep scratching out wins, like the past two, to ease the pressure and hush talk about the heat that’s bubbling at bench level and upstairs, too.

Perhaps this will be that thoroughly abnormal NBA season ‎in which all 30 coaches last 82 games. Hoiberg, after all, is one of those four Year 2 coaches.

Yet as a calendar change looms, 2017 is bound to be no different than the past 40-odd years that preceded it when it comes to this old truism in basketball (and maybe every other professional sport):

The easiest change to make, when things aren't going as planned, is the coach.

I'm going to be so angry when Hoiberg gets fired and GarPax is allowed to find another coach.

They ran out the only actual successful coaching hire they have ever made. Other than that it's been varying levels of trash and Garbage, outside of the two years or so of Skiles before he started to hate everyone.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Anyone have that chart from a few days ago that compared something like blocks per minute against rim defense percentage and had Embiid all by his lonesome on the bottom right?

If so, can you repost it please? I am having trouble finding it.

edit: nm, found it

Away all Goats posted:

Found on the nba subreddit:

Embiid good

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 30, 2016

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Dejan Bimble posted:

Well sometimes chunk, something's so obvious you don't need to stand up and take a look, you can lay back and let the smell hit you, and know perfectly the state of things

this answer is very satisfying, thank you. the whole undersmelling philosophy is very attractive.

WhyteRyce posted:

https://twitter.com/Cowbell_Kingdom/status/814858197508886528

Koufos for Patrick Beverly is what I want.

Koufos for Corey Brewer is what I'll get.

That was one of the random trade ideas belted out when Capela got hurt that made sense to me.

Patrick Beverley probably not, but they have some nice second round picks this year. And let me tell you about Kyle "Wilt"jer.

e: Salary-wise, I guess it has to be Brewer as the main matching contract

https://twitter.com/ZachLowe_NBA/status/814858009985843200

What a shocker

chunkles fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 30, 2016

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Even if the Bulls make front office changes, it'll be Gar taking the fall and Paxson will probably stay insulated from any actual criticism

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Dejan Bimble posted:

Man that really shook my root beer barrel and I thought you were naming some Nagorno-Krabakh forward for Orlando who I hadn't seen play

Karabakh ballers, South Ossetian ballers, Abkhazian ballers...the fall of the CCCP has really held them back, I bet...sad...

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Lowry vs Kemba is a non debate. The Raptors have one of the best offenses in the league with Lowry in and Deroazan out, and when he's out and Deroazan is in with Joseph, they're no good. He's the little formerly chubby engine that powers that team.

DeimosRising posted:

Karabakh ballers, South Ossetian ballers, Abkhazian ballers...the fall of the CCCP has really held them back, I bet...sad...
Think of the legacy of losing the USA would have if Yugoslavia and the USSR were still around, shame

MY all star team

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Jamychal green is really good tbh

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Metapod posted:

Jamychal green is really good tbh

Yo metapod
That's why he's on the team

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Dejan Bimble posted:

Lowry vs Kemba is a non debate. The Raptors have one of the best offenses in the league with Lowry in and Deroazan out, and when he's out and Deroazan is in with Joseph, they're no good. He's the little formerly chubby engine that powers that team.

Think of the legacy of losing the USA would have if Yugoslavia and the USSR were still around, shame

MY all star team

In a surprise move today that some claim is a response to Russian espionage, Obama has traded the citizenships of Steph Curry, James Harden, and Lebron James to Lithuania.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
me and my posting allies when the good stuff happens in life

https://twitter.com/GrizzliesOnFSSE/status/814679830797029378

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/Eagles/status/814887024394141696

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Dejan Bimble posted:

Lol. If anything they'd have another gold and 04 wouldn't have gone down the way it did. Players would have been more motivated to play and stick it to the Soviets. At best that team would have the __ best player in any tournament for the past few decades?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Dejan Bimble posted:

MY all star team

The risk of Slavic ballers not emigrating/being allowed to emigrate aside, it would be sick as hell for Yugoslavia and the USSR to still exist in the Olympics.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Spacebump posted:

Lol. If anything they'd have another gold and 04 wouldn't have gone down the way it did. Players would have been more motivated to play and stick it to the Soviets. At best that team would have the __ best player in any tournament for the past few decades?

I'll directly quote Phil Jackson: All American basketball players are steady trappin, they stay on that sizzurp, their friends have been deputized in a lawless frontier context, and their fathers vanished without a trace as in the HBO series The Leftovers. Soviet and Yugoslavian ballers read fine literature, they work out in computerized Rocky IV style gyms, and they show no fear and no mercy. Of the last 10 olympics, I think there would be 6 Soviet golds, 3 Yugoslav, and 1 Argentinian. USA would have to be satisfied with the bronze

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Dexo posted:

http://www.espn.com/blog/marc-stein/post/_/id/4859/how-bulls-hoiberg-ended-up-in-the-nbas-hottest-seat

I'm going to be so angry when Hoiberg gets fired and GarPax is allowed to find another coach.

They ran out the only actual successful coaching hire they have ever made. Other than that it's been varying levels of trash and Garbage, outside of the two years or so of Skiles before he started to hate everyone.

A midseason firing of Hoiberg and/or Foreman would really help my vote in most dumpster fire team in the preseason poll.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Don't worry rising revanchist nationalism/fascism will make basketball consolidation an inevitable part of the future
Putin just wants to annex enough territory to make international bball tournaments interesting again

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Dragic
Bogdanovic
Bjelica
Teletovic
Jokic

Bench: Vujacic, Udrih, Saric, Nurkic, Vucevic, Bender, BOBAN

That is a lot of outside shooting, good post scoring and some terrible, terrible defence. Also a lot of big men.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

tanglewood1420 posted:

Dragic
Bogdanovic
Bjelica
Teletovic
Jokic

That is a lot of outside shooting, good post scoring and some terrible, terrible defence. Also a lot of big men.

Forgot Hezonja for NBA guys (he starts for Croatia and is good in international ball) and the other Bogdanovic and outside the NBA, Ukic, Teodosic, and Raduljica are all good. Bender and Vujacic wouldn't even make the team.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

tanglewood1420 posted:

Dragic
Bogdanovic
Bjelica
Teletovic
Jokic

It's also worth remembering in this fantasy that these regions arent economically devestated. So you have stronger taller fitter people. Add the baltics onto the Russian team, let's play some bball.

I'd like to see a combined world/africa/euro euro teams vs whomever from the US would agree to play

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Only have to wait about 1 year to add the balkans to Russia.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

euphronius posted:

Only have to wait about 1 year to add the balkans to Russia.

There'sa a gignatic us military base pretending to be a country, called Kosovo, that's in the way of that, unfortunately.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Dejan Bimble posted:

It's also worth remembering in this fantasy that these regions arent economically devestated. So you have stronger taller fitter people. Add the baltics onto the Russian team, let's play some bball.

True.

quote:

I'd like to see a combined world/africa/euro euro teams vs whomever from the US would agree to play

I suggested this in the offseason and no-one else picked it up. :smith:

A basketball style Ryder Cup, USA vs Europe, three game series played in the pre-season over a week, played every two years. Of course you wouldn't get any of the big stars signing up due to injury concerns but it would be pretty fun.

e: Other fantasy not going to happen option to make the Olympics/World Champs more of an even contest would be to split the USA into states. Who's ready for semi-final matchups of California v France and Texas vs Spain?

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 30, 2016

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Oh poo poo my brain was thinking "baltics"

Sorry.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

euphronius posted:

Oh poo poo my brain was thinking "baltics"

Sorry.

Germany is even bigger!

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Come for the hoops, stay for the Eastern European geopolitics

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

xbilkis posted:

Even if the Bulls make front office changes, it'll be Gar taking the fall and Paxson will probably stay insulated from any actual criticism

Yeah, Paxson did a couple interviews this week and distanced himself a ton from these decisions. He's a lifer like Kenny Williams.

Also they aren't firing Fred. He has 3 years left and zero chance Reinsdorf is going to pay $15 million for Fred to sit at home in Ames. And that means Gar is safe because no GM is going to come in to a position where they can't hire their own Head Coach. Gar is a lovely GM but him and Pax know how to make it real difficult to get fired.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

tanglewood1420 posted:

I suggested this in the offseason and no-one else picked it up. :smith:

A basketball style Ryder Cup, USA vs Europe, three game series played in the pre-season over a week, played every two years. Of course you wouldn't get any of the big stars signing up due to injury concerns but it would be pretty fun.

It looks like that 3v3 league for retired players is coming along, maybe they could eventually do something like that

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Thank you. People voting for Kemba haven't looked at the drat stats. Isaiah is better in every single way except 3 pt % and he makes up for that elsewhere according to his ts% and his feet don't even touch the ground while at the barber

Cool Buff Man fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 30, 2016

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
I voted for kobe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Up Circle posted:

I voted for kobe.

Is Kobe in the frontcourt? I hope Yao gets in over him

Cool Buff Man posted:

Thank you. People voting for Kemba haven't looked at the drat stats. Isaiah is better in every single way except 3 pt % and he makes up for that elsewhere according to his ts% and his feet don't even touch the ground while at the barber

Gotta vote for my fellow can't-reach-the-ground bro. Maybe we'll both go through a late in life growth spurt and won't have to sit on a phonebook anymore!

• Locked thread