Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
netcat
Apr 29, 2008
dont buy "smart" tvs imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
what was the one that did a dlna scan of your entire lan and uploaded all the filennames to central?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

netcat posted:

dont buy "smart" tvs imo

correct.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

what was the one that did a dlna scan of your entire lan and uploaded all the filennames to central?

is this illegal? it feels like this should be illegal

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Bhodi posted:

i don't think any tvs autoconnect to open networks as that would be awful but also hilarious and probably show up as a defcon talk

there was a pretty big scandal a while ago about this very thing happening

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Rex-Goliath posted:

is this illegal? it feels like this should be illegal
probably in the eula no one reads so it's ok

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

lg

they were also the ones who would actively seek out any unsecured wifi network in order to do this

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

netcat posted:

dont buy "smart" things ever

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

LastInLine posted:

lg

they were also the ones who would actively seek out any unsecured wifi network in order to do this

literal garbage

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

fart simpson posted:

literal garbage

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

netcat posted:

dont buy "smart" tvs imo

crt supremacy

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

OldAlias posted:

crt supremacy

no.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Phobeste posted:

considering that uber's literal entire business model is built around offloading those costs to its employees, if they ever do a large scale rollout they'd probably make people buy and maintain their own cars (or lease them from uber, more likely) and get some percentage of the profits from each ride.

I think you can lease them from Uber. 250/day :v: My car is in better condition and maintained than most of the crap that I get picked up in, but it's too old.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qirex posted:

my favorite smart tv feature is how samsung pushed out an os update that added advertising banners to TVs up to 3 years old

this is why my tv will never be connected to the internet. it works now in that it shows pictures and I see no need for ever updating it.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

The Management posted:

this is why my tv will never be connected to the internet. it works now in that it shows pictures and I see no need for ever updating it.

same

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

on the one hand all smart devices are dumb and gently caress letting shady (any) vendor run random garbage on my connection

on the other hand it's nice to not need to go through a ps4 for netflix

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
My Sony has android tv built in and it's fine. I use the Netflix on there sometimes and it's fast and responsive. like fakeloaf said, sometimes it's easier than using my PS4.

my FIL has a LG with a weird mouse pointer remote and it's slow and awful and I need to get him a Roku or something.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

on the one hand all smart devices are dumb and gently caress letting shady (any) vendor run random garbage on my connection

on the other hand it's nice to not need to go through a ps4 for netflix

my cable box can do Netflix that's even better than some smart tv thing that'll be even slower

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

LmaoTheKid posted:

my FIL has a LG with a weird mouse pointer remote and it's slow and awful and I need to get him a Roku or something.

Fire stick works well even if you don't use Amazon's services and is slightly cheaper than the Roku iirc

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Apple TV does my streaming services and has a way better UI than anything built in to my tv. to watch it I just click a button on the remote and it switches source so it's not like :effort: to go to it

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

my cable box can do Netflix that's even better than some smart tv thing that'll be even slower

lmao can cable box software actually be faster than literally anything else?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

LmaoTheKid posted:

My Sony has android tv built in and it's fine

you can download firmware updates from their site. shove it on an empty usb and plug it into the back of the unit and go to 'check for updates' and itll load it up

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cocoa Crispies posted:

lmao can cable box software actually be faster than literally anything else?

being faster than a smart tv is not exactly a high bar

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

i'm amazed a cable box provides one touch access to a competitor's product but that's just me

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

http://www.xfinity.com/netflix

Netflix stuff shows up alongside other on demand programs. it's surprisingly functional considering it's from Comcast

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 30, 2016

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lmao if you dont use a rat king of cables involving at least 5 pieces of equipment from 3 different decades

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Powaqoatse posted:

lmao if you dont use a rat king of cables involving at least 5 pieces of equipment from 3 different decades

i just rewired my entertainment setup for a new console table and this this this. its all, including the router, carefully attached to the back of the tv. supremely tidy because lol if i wanna look at those wires ever again

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Powaqoatse posted:

atv4->receiver->tv

it's all you need

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Perplx posted:

atv4->receiver->tv

it's all you need

does it play 10bit anime mkvs & commdore 64 games??

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Powaqoatse posted:

that's a p deece unit of measurement right there

it's also a grotesque thing that sounds like hell torture

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

graph posted:

you can download firmware updates from their site. shove it on an empty usb and plug it into the back of the unit and go to 'check for updates' and itll load it up

once every few months it tells me I have an update and right then and there I start following along with the moves...

also Red Oaks on prime is great

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

flakeloaf posted:

that's a p deece unit of measurement right there

it's also a grotesque thing that sounds like hell torture

its also a real thing & it pretty accurately describes what goes on behind my desk

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat_king

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Dominic you rat

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i use chromecast google cast google home chromecast.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

google chome you rat

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

duTrieux. posted:

i use chromecast google cast google home gargle chomecast.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

I have an antenna and get the big 4 networks and a channel for every religion possible except Scientology and Catholicism

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

over the air antennas dont work in 1st world countries

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Powaqoatse posted:

over the air antennas dont work in 1st world countries

what the gently caress country did you move to where all the digital broadcasting broke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

fishmech posted:

what the gently caress country did you move to where all the digital broadcasting broke

they probably don't work good in flyover country. my dad lived in a rural area and they had to have a 25 foot antenna with a motorized antenna mover (it was Connecticut and lol if you want to go on the roof to gently caress with the antenna when it's 0F and snowing to change the channel) to get more than one channel.

it was the 50s/60s but still.

• Locked thread