Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Stubby little wings? Check
Internal payload limiting capabilities? Check
Advanced coatings causing severe operational limitations? Check
Limited cockpit visibility? Check
Arguably ineffective communist knock-off? Check

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Let's be fair, every one of the space shuttles flew multiple missions before exploding or being grounded.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Nenonen posted:

Let's be fair, every one of the space shuttles flew multiple missions before exploding or being grounded.

but also to be fair, it was hamstrung by capability creep instituted on it by the defense apparatus of this country

the entire reason it had that cargo bay and that sweet rear end robot arm and the ability to be launched, landed and relaunched quickly was because it needed to snatch Soviet satellites per the CIA etc

that's why the intelligence community has a mini-shuttle drone thing no one talks about to this day

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

thats actually a pretty apt comparison

or rather, it will be if and when the f35 ends up being cool as hell and totally redeems itself

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
like, people forget that the shuttle never really came in for a landing, it actually crashed in a very rapid, yet extremely controlled manner

seriously, that things glide slope was like a dude jumping from the WTC

e- look at this poo poo

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Nenonen posted:

they did for sure, but the system was pitched as a launch per month with a 150-launch life per shuttle

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

theflyingexecutive posted:

they did for sure, but the system was pitched as a launch per month with a 150-launch life per shuttle

:thejoke:

Who knows, maybe F-35 is a developmental dead-end or then it's the 21st century Sopwith Camel. But at least the space shuttle was truly vertical take-off capable...

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

VikingSkull posted:

like, people forget that the shuttle never really came in for a landing, it actually crashed in a very rapid, yet extremely controlled manner

seriously, that things glide slope was like a dude jumping from the WTC

e- look at this poo poo
The actual landing looks pretty normal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ189a3Wnk4&t=179s

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

it's flaring like a parachutist does when they land

the entire time before that it's dropping like a rock, and it had a touchdown speed like 70mph higher than a jetliner

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Nenonen posted:

:thejoke:

Who knows, maybe F-35 is a developmental dead-end or then it's the 21st century Sopwith Camel. But at least the space shuttle was truly vertical take-off capable...

haha the f35 is one place where I can never tell if someone is joking

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Thoguh posted:

Given Turkey's geographic location they'd have to basically declare war on NATO to get kicked out.

This would be true in a world where "facts" mattered. If only we lived in one.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

VikingSkull posted:

that's every plane ever except maybe the An-2 and the Fieseler Storch

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Humans move thanks to controlled falls

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

that's every plane ever except maybe the An-2 and the Fieseler Storch

not many have a 4.5:1* glide slope and a rate of descent of 9,800 feet per minute though

*or 1:1 on initial reentry

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

any landing your body can be recovered from is a good landing

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

VikingSkull posted:

not many have a 4.5:1* glide slope and a rate of descent of 9,800 feet per minute though

Not many start out in LEO going 17,500 mph either

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

logikv9 posted:

Humans move thanks to controlled falls

uh how can i be falling if i'm standing up, duh idiot

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

VikingSkull posted:

it's flaring like a parachutist does when they land

the entire time before that it's dropping like a rock, and it had a touchdown speed like 70mph higher than a jetliner

It's coming in at an orbital velocity, of course it has a different approach that a jetliner. That landing looks pretty normal so I'm not sure why you think it is wierd for a space plane.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

VikingSkull posted:

You are a very stupid person who should stop trying to post about spaceflight.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Of all the things you could complain about with the Shuttle, 'comes in hot like a carrier landing' isn't even on the scale since it was designed for that and never once failed a landing.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Thoguh posted:

You are a very stupid person who should stop trying to post about spaceflight.

you made a triple post without a single joke and youre calling out stupid?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You know who's stupid?

F-35

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Thoguh posted:

Of all the things you could complain about with the Shuttle, 'comes in hot like a carrier landing' isn't even on the scale since it was designed for that and never once failed a landing.

perhaps, and this is crazy, my original point was that the shuttle was bogged down by defense requirements and prolly would have been better suited as a spaceplane if the spaceplane people had total control over the program

nope, be pedantic about it you'll feel better

e- also I'm pretty sure one failed in a landing attempt

Seizure Meat has issued a correction as of 12:33 on Dec 30, 2016

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

VikingSkull posted:

e- also I'm pretty sure one failed in a landing attempt

i knew that was coming lol

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
well to be fair it did land I guess

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

quote:

NASA's early space shuttle concepts envisioned a two-stage fully reusable vehicle capable of taking off and landing like an airplane. "That's a far cry from what we got," Logsdon said.

By 1970, the White House had lost its appetite for large space programs, Logsdon said. Production of the Saturn 5 was ended, and NASA was told to forget about a space station for the time being.

That forced NASA to seek allies to justify building the shuttle. "The key ally was the national security community," Logsdon said.

The Pentagon agreed to get behind the shuttle provided it had certain characteristics, Logsdon said.

"One of those characteristics was the ability to launch classified payloads that could be up to 60 feet (18 meters) in length" and weigh up to 18,200 kilograms, Logsdon said. "The width of the payload bay was driven by NASA's desire to eventually build a space station."

Another Defense Department-driven requirement, Logsdon said, was the ability to take off and return to a West Coast launch site after a single polar orbit. Because of the Earth's rotation, a single polar orbit would not bring the shuttle back directly over its launch site, meaning it would have to glide farther through the atmosphere to land than otherwise would be the case. That drove NASA to add large delta-shaped wings and a more robust--not to mention heavier-- thermal protection system to its space shuttle design.

http://www.space.com/1438-chapter-opens-space-shuttle-born-compromise.html

herp derp the shuttle performed exactly as designed (the design was flawed)

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
You've gotta wonder why they didn't just add vtol.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Couldn't get the unicorn dust engines to work, probably

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Battleship-on-battleship engagements happened plenty, just not during World War Two because of an odd knock-on effect of the Washington and London Treaties. Because countries could only build so many of the things they were jealously kept away from action and the cruiser ended up doing most of the surface warfare.

also because they were incredibly vulnerable to air attack

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Concerned Citizen posted:

also because they were incredibly vulnerable to air attack

After the first couple months of the war both sides struggled to blow up each others' battleships with air attacks. They were actually pretty hard to sink.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Panzeh posted:

After the first couple months of the war both sides struggled to blow up each others' battleships with air attacks. They were actually pretty hard to sink.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1Ufc2hI4FM

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Panzeh posted:

tell that to the prince of wales

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Bad example since aircraft only disabled the Bismarck enough for the Royal Navy's own battleships to finish her off.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Bad example since aircraft only disabled the Bismarck enough for the Royal Navy's own battleships to finish her off.

I think that was actually a good example based on what I quoted

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Disagree.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Darkman Fanpage posted:

tell that to the prince of wales

or really the entire pacific theater.