Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kater
Nov 16, 2010

I found using an analog stick for movement and face buttons for aiming to be a huge improvement over old Isaac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

happyhippy posted:

Straight away.
You start up high looking over the city and its pissing rain.
It should be quick to notice if your computer can handle it.
But if you have an 970 onwards it should be fine.

Then again, turn off the physx poo poo in the options and you get some good increases in performance.

Apparently I have one of the lucky computers. 2GB 960 (yeah :() didn't touch anything except upping AF and turning off motion blur.
Been zipping around that sexy city a bit and beating up punks who ran me over with a car, smooth as silk.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

happyhippy posted:

Straight away.
You start up high looking over the city and its pissing rain.
It should be quick to notice if your computer can handle it.
But if you have an 970 onwards it should be fine.

Then again, turn off the physx poo poo in the options and you get some good increases in performance.

Yes, if you have an Nvidia card make sure to turn off all of the Nvidia crap (hair effects, newspapers blowing around, fog something or other).

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm about an hour into Wolfenstein and I'm loving the gently caress out of this game. If I enjoy New Order is Old Blood more of the same?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Gameplay, mostly. Theme, no. It's definitely great, but only about half to two-thirds.

e: As you can tell from the page it's set during WWII and still features killin' nazis, but this time there's the traditional Wolfenstein occult stuff. The level designs are still pretty solid but they're not as tight overall. It's still fun, DEFINITELY worth the sale price, and I recommend it, but definitely finish TNO and then play TOB. It's the straight-to-VHS sequel that's still surprisingly great.

Dark_Swordmaster fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 30, 2016

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
How is the Steam version of Resident Evil 4? All I want it to do is run well on my machine and let me use a controller with controller prompts.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Ularg posted:

How is the Steam version of Resident Evil 4? All I want it to do is run well on my machine and let me use a controller with controller prompts.

Very solid.

Jagwires
May 31, 2009
Can someone give me an overview of what the gameplay is like in both Death Road to Canada and Sunless Sea ?

Also, is there a way to win Sunless Sea? Or is it mostly just trying to survive as long as possible?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Flamebreak is a really good BoI clone. I highly recommend it to anyone who likes this type of game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUv0mKKLv1A

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

NRVNQSR posted:

I think you've played most of the good ones already, but if you really want to dig deep on that genre you could consider Magrunner: Dark Pulse, The Ball, Qbeh-1: The Atlas Cube, Q.U.B.E, Quantum Conundrum and possibly MirrorMoon EP? I don't feel like I can actively recommend any of those games but none of them are completely terrible. There's also Magnetic: Cage Closed which I've never found time to try.

e: Technically I don't think you've ever mentioned having played Portal, so on the remote off chance that you haven't you should play that and it's sequel immediately; I don't think it's unfair to say that they invented the genre.

Thanks for this list! I grabbed Q.U.B.E, the rest look a bit jokey for me but I may come back to them in a pinch.

And yea I've recently played portal 1/2, the talos principle and the witness so I'm sort of digging past the big hits at this point.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Jagwires posted:

Can someone give me an overview of what the gameplay is like in both Death Road to Canada and Sunless Sea ?

Also, is there a way to win Sunless Sea? Or is it mostly just trying to survive as long as possible?

Death Road to Canada is Oregon Trail essentially, with many more random events and top down action pieces when you visit locations and an extremely goofy, wonderful sense of humor.

Sunless Sea is...different. The game has amazing atmosphere but also requires a ton of patience to really shine. Do not get stuck in the trading trap, you get rewarded far more for venturing out into the unknown and discovering stuff than just hauling from port to port. As far as I know there's no real ending, just a various number of stories and events you can encounter on each run. The game ends when your character retires (and passes on some items to the next if you wish) or dies.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

MMF Freeway posted:

Very solid.

Awesome, so my cart looks like:

Resident Evil 4: $6.99
Mad Max: $6.79
Binary Domain: $3.99
Homefront: The Revolution: $11.99
Zeno Clash: $0.99
Metal Gear Rising: $7.49

I still feel like there may be great first person shooters less than $10 I'm missing out on but it's hard to ask without just listing every single shooter I already have. I want Strafe to come out already, damnit.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I think the last game I'm going to get is Necropolis to play coop. Before I do though, I read a review that said apparently coop will sometimes just wipe characters if you lose connectivity since it's all saved on the host's side. Any input on how legitimate/significant of an issue this is?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Ularg posted:

Please do not buy Homefront it is very bad and not good at all.

Anyway, am I a trash baby contributing to the glut of RPGMaker trash if I pick up RPGMaker for $40? I'd like to mess around but I'm not sure what the learning curve is like, or if I should just learn how to code from youtube videos for free instead?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Ularg posted:

I still feel like there may be great first person shooters less than $10 I'm missing out on but it's hard to ask without just listing every single shooter I already have. I want Strafe to come out already, damnit.

Dump Homefront. If you like good shooters you'll hate it.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Please do not buy Homefront it is very bad and not good at all.

Anyway, am I a trash baby contributing to the glut of RPGMaker trash if I pick up RPGMaker for $40? I'd like to mess around but I'm not sure what the learning curve is like, or if I should just learn how to code from youtube videos for free instead?

But if I got through the older Homefront how worse can this one be? I honestly felt like it's just not that inspired instead of outright bad, but I'm willing to hear you guys out since I haven't made any purchases yet. I was mainly expecting another okay shooter with an open world checklist to complete cause I'm empty and my life is devoid of meaning like that.

Also could I just make a pastebin of my shooter library and ask for some suggestions? I really want more single player shooters but it's hard to get suggestions I haven't already heard before.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

I'm itching for some more side scrolling / metroidvania kind of goodness. I apparently have a lot of them identified on my wishlist, so I thought I'd check in to see some opinions on:

Shovel Knight
Axiom Verge
Headlander
Shadow Complex Remastered
Ori and the Blind Forest
Strider
Apotheon
Salt and Sanctuary

or any other good stuff that I've missed here. They all have pretty good reviews so I'll probably grab a couple, but if any are head and shoulders above the rest, I'll start there. I already have Guacamelee and Mark of the Ninja, and they're both fantastic, so any other suggestions in that vein would be appreciated.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Shovel Knight is the clear winner in that list.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Shovel knight is the best one on that list, but its not a metroidvania, so if you're looking for that I'd go with axiom verge or ori.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I really liked Strider, it was part of the first PS+ offerings for the PS4. It's a good bit of goofy fun. Haven't played Axiom Verge enough yet but the art style and music is great.

I wonder if anyone here would consider Hyper Light Drifter a metroidvania or rather a zelda-like. Because if there's any cross over in interest I want to have any excuse to recommend Hyper Light Drifter to people, it's a great game.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Also, Salt and Sanctuary isn't like the others at all. It's literally 2D Dark Souls.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
The Division yes or no? If yes, DLC yes or no?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Smol posted:

Do you like an endless diablo-like grind but with the chance of pubbies loving you over in the dark zone or when you have to group with them for daily/weekly missions?

Don't get me wrong, I love that type of grind, but it's not for everyone. And Dark Zone can put people off instantly, and it's been awhile since I've played and I'm not sure how the game has improved with the DLC and if there is still a huge hacker problem on PC.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Smol posted:

Base game is pretty good now. I'd hold off on the DLC for now.

and the Dark Zone is pretty worthless now with the ability to adjust in game difficulty ala Diablo. You get better loot outside of it.

Doc Holliday
Dec 24, 2002

Ularg posted:

If you're interested, Mad Max can be had at bundlestars.com for $4.50 with the WINTERSALE10 voucher applied at the checkout.
I've got an old Zeno Clash code lying around as well you can have (if you want)

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Doc Holliday posted:

If you're interested, Mad Max can be had at bundlestars.com for $4.50 with the WINTERSALE10 voucher applied at the checkout.
I've got an old Zeno Clash code lying around as well you can have (if you want)

Thank you for the offer, but considering it's only $0.99 it's not a big deal. Stick around until after the sale when someone realizes they missed out and you can gift it to them.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Anyone willing to hook a brotha up with a 2, 3, or 8 card for the christmas stuff? I have a 4 5 or 2 7's that I can trade. I just want to finish the deck once for the event. Steam id is ramadu

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Are card idlers still a thing?

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Looking for fun games my laptop can handle and I've got my eye on these two:

Momodora

Moon Hunters

Anyone have any experience with them?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

poo poo, my bank blocked my card because apparently something fishy was going on which is a good thing I guess. The bad thing is that the new one will come in the next 2 weeks, how will I empty my wallet now on irrational, bad, last-minute purchases?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Palpek posted:

poo poo, my bank blocked my card because apparently something fishy was going on which is a good thing I guess. The bad thing is that the new one will come in the next 2 weeks, how will I empty my wallet now on irrational, bad, last-minute purchases?

Paypal?

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Jordan7hm posted:

Shovel Knight is the clear winner in that list.

MMF Freeway posted:

Shovel knight is the best one on that list, but its not a metroidvania, so if you're looking for that I'd go with axiom verge or ori.

Ularg posted:

I really liked Strider, it was part of the first PS+ offerings for the PS4. It's a good bit of goofy fun. Haven't played Axiom Verge enough yet but the art style and music is great.

I wonder if anyone here would consider Hyper Light Drifter a metroidvania or rather a zelda-like. Because if there's any cross over in interest I want to have any excuse to recommend Hyper Light Drifter to people, it's a great game.

Mokinokaro posted:

Also, Salt and Sanctuary isn't like the others at all. It's literally 2D Dark Souls.
Thanks for all the feedback - it's sounding like Shovel Knight and at least one of the others are in my future.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Been looking for a Grognardy RTS game. I'm hovering back and forth between Scourge of War: Waterloo, and Ultimate General: Civil War.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Ramadu posted:

Anyone willing to hook a brotha up with a 2, 3, or 8 card for the christmas stuff? I have a 4 5 or 2 7's that I can trade. I just want to finish the deck once for the event. Steam id is ramadu

They're numbered? I just got a couple of cards from purchasing games but there doesn't seem to be numbers attached.

Steam Awards: Best Use Of A Farm Animal, Wooooooah Dude, Just 5 More Minutes, and Test of Time.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ularg posted:

They're numbered? I just got a couple of cards from purchasing games but there doesn't seem to be numbers attached.

Go to the badge crafting section and open up the badge.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Plan Z posted:

Been looking for a Grognardy RTS game. I'm hovering back and forth between Scourge of War: Waterloo, and Ultimate General: Civil War.

Ultimate General.

Please don't EVER give Scourge of War your money. Do not reward the lazy, bad, and offensive developers of the genre. Ultimate General is good and getting better. Scourge of War is okay and often bad.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The Leck posted:

Thanks for all the feedback - it's sounding like Shovel Knight and at least one of the others are in my future.
I would suggest Axiom Verge, at least in terms of Metroidvania. Strider I found got increasingly grating and boring each progressive hour I put in til I stopped wanting to play entirely.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Ultimate General.

Please don't EVER give Scourge of War your money. Do not reward the lazy, bad, and offensive developers of the genre. Ultimate General is good and getting better. Scourge of War is okay and often bad.

Was leaning towards UG since I liked Gettysburg so much. Out of curiosity, what's the problem with the devs?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I found Axiom Verge bland and ugly, myself. For Metroidvanias I can speak for Pharaoh Rebirth, Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, and Ori. They're all far more colorful and interesting. Odallus is also sort of one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Justin_Brett posted:

I found Axiom Verge bland and ugly, myself. For Metroidvanias I can speak for Pharaoh Rebirth, Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, and Ori. They're all far more colorful and interesting.

Yeah add Ghost 1.0 to that list too. Unepic was so terrible but the devs actually made something great for their second game.

• Locked thread