Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I really appreciate that The Expanse is true space science fiction, potentially the first on TV (that I can think of). Previously it's all been straight up trek style fantasy that doesn't even attempt any sort of consistency let alone "realism". I love that there's no warp travel, that you can jam all this drama, a whole universe just within a narrow slice of our solar system. Obviously it will expand from there but even so it's just the bare minimum amount of fantasy needed to move the plot, and they're consistent with it. I'm fine with fantasy elements since all but the hardest of hard scify need some, just implement them in a consistent and thought out way so you don't get stuck with poo poo like almost all tech in trek which will have a million extremely useful applications that are totally ignored, and the tech works differently depending on who's writing the episode.

Hell they don't even have magic artificial gravity. Yeah sometimes it gets handwaved away a little here and there because gently caress trying to film everything with zero-g effects, but it's always present in some fashion. I never feel insulted watching the show, they keep things consistent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

I really appreciate that The Expanse is true space science fiction, potentially the first on TV (that I can think of). Previously it's all been straight up trek style fantasy that doesn't even attempt any sort of consistency let alone "realism". I love that there's no warp travel, that you can jam all this drama, a whole universe just within a narrow slice of our solar system. Obviously it will expand from there but even so it's just the bare minimum amount of fantasy needed to move the plot, and they're consistent with it. I'm fine with fantasy elements since all but the hardest of hard scify need some, just implement them in a consistent and thought out way so you don't get stuck with poo poo like almost all tech in trek which will have a million extremely useful applications that are totally ignored, and the tech works differently depending on who's writing the episode.

Hell they don't even have magic artificial gravity. Yeah sometimes it gets handwaved away a little here and there because gently caress trying to film everything with zero-g effects, but it's always present in some fashion. I never feel insulted watching the show, they keep things consistent.

There's been a bit of a resurgence of pop hard(ish) sci-fi recently, despite shows like Dark Matters and Killjoys. Shows like The Expanse and even Westworld might mean more of it, which I am totally in favor of. It would be nice to get more of this type of stuff on a consistent basis, can't get by with just the occasional movie like Moon, Ex-Machina or The Martian.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The coolest science bit was the drink pouring scene on Ceres

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I have wondered how many Culture O's we could fit in the goldilocks zone. I think the answer is several hundred billion. Similar to the number of potentially habitable star system in the galaxy.

The solar system is big. Like really big.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Collateral posted:

I have wondered how many Culture O's we could fit in the goldilocks zone. I think the answer is several hundred billion. Similar to the number of potentially habitable star system in the galaxy.

The solar system is big. Like really big.

A couple years ago I got huge into space colonies and did a ton of reading on them. I remember an article that "did the math" on the resources available in the belt alone and it was enough for self sustaining colonies in the thousands of trillions or some incomprehensible number. It was like billions of O'Neil cylinders each with millions of people.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

etalian posted:

The coolest science bit was the drink pouring scene on Ceres

Holden's perfect demonstration of Newtonian physics in the escape from the Donager was what got me hooked.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

Holden's perfect demonstration of Newtonian physics in the escape from the Donager was what got me hooked.

I literally yelled "They did it right!". I was then called a nerd and told to shut up.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
I'm really digging the show, but I'm almost done with the fourth book and holy crap they're bad. I'd recommend avoiding them until the show's finished it's run for anybody that hasn't started them yet.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Counterpoint: you are wrong and the books (well, all but one of them) are cool and good

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Give book 5 a shot, it's The Good One.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Three and four are bad.

One, two, and five are cool & good.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The books are good pulpy fun

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I thought 3 and 4 were a'ite. Glad to hear 5 is well liked.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Frankenstyle posted:

I'm really digging the show, but I'm almost done with the fourth book and holy crap they're bad. I'd recommend avoiding them until the show's finished it's run for anybody that hasn't started them yet.

It is well agreed that 1,2 and 5 are great. 3 and 4 not so much and 6 just came out and is being debated.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
5 and 6 are part 1 and part 2 of the same book, read them together. They sandwich between the setup trilogy and the payoff trilogy. I consider Cibola Burns a side book which gives Miller a send off* and some background colour on the struggles of the new colonies, but is it really part of the mainline story? I enjoyed it.

*I hope he makes a comeback as a personality aspect of the alien god-head.

Collateral fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Dec 31, 2016

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Grand Fromage posted:

:swoon::swoon::swoon:

If only Syfy were premium cable and they could give us the full Avasarala experience all the time.

What, Arjun getting a handful for granny titties? Syfy is showing they won't shy away from the violence and some profanity.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Dec 31, 2016

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Collateral posted:

I consider Cibola Burns a side book which gives Miller a send off*

*I hope he makes a comeback as a personality aspect of the alien god-head.

The books are good, even the bad ones, but holy hell why would you post this in the TV thread?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Anybody think the TV Roci is a bit smaller than described in the books?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The imagined Solar system is cool.

ed: you're right, that is a big spoiler.

Kazzah fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 31, 2016

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

Collateral posted:

Anybody think the TV Roci is a bit smaller than described in the books?

It's actually a lot bigger than I pictured it

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Boing posted:

It's actually a lot bigger than I pictured it

http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/images/advdesign/size04.jpg

Yeah show Roci is way bigger than I imagined from the novels.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Don't they talk of corridors? They have set it up right, like a building with floors, just the floors aren't that big. Remember the ship should be taking two (three?) crews and full compliment of MCRN marines, some with power suits.

gohmak posted:

http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/images/advdesign/size04.jpg

Yeah show Roci is way bigger than I imagined from the novels.

Broken link.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Krazyface posted:

The imagined Solar system is cool. The good boks are the ones set in the Solar system. The Bad ones are the ones set largely outside the solar sytem. Fortunately most are set in the solar system.

That's a pretty damned big spoiler.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Collateral posted:

Don't they talk of corridors? They have set it up right, like a building with floors, just the floors aren't that big. Remember the ship should be taking two (three?) crews and full compliment of MCRN marines, some with power suits.

Broken link.

http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/advdesign.php

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I imagined Roci being a little larger outside and a lot smaller inside. In my head the interior volumes were more like those of museum-ized warships I've visited, where despite the enormous volume of the thing, the interior was subdivided into spaces just large enough to fit into and just small enough to be uncomfortable for all humans. (Except for aft berthing on a SoDak, which feels like the result of a debate over whether it was possible to make a large interior room that still wasn't a useful space.)

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

The way Rocinante was described in the book, or the way I perceived it, was as a triangular lifting body with only gun ports and access hatches as exterior features.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
In my mind the crash couches were spheres embedded in the walls, that as soon as you are in them the sphere rotate independently, and also maintain pressure inside the sphere
Loads of white plastic with (white) webbing fabric. the plastic had lighting elements either embedded in the plastic or behind the plastic. The walls were built to handle small railgun projectiles zooming through, so the plastic in the walls had special pockets / bubbles with chemicals and such so that if a railgun projectile zoomed through the wall itsself would melt (due to the chems mixing, and the pressure drop sucking the goop into the hole) and fill the gap

Very tight quarters, everything covered in white webbing, so if you are freefloating and the ship violently rotated you were likely not gonna bang your head hard.

Loads of web belts floating everywhere, no metal ladders just cloth ladders

belter ships were very dirty, instead of rope ladders had just ropes strewn around, with stuff stowed by tieing on to it. crews with breath masks on, ships are held at much much lower pressures than inner planet ships.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Frankenstyle posted:

Noctone posted:

Counterpoint: you are wrong and the books (well, all but one of them) are cool and good

Platystemon posted:

Three and four are bad.

One, two, and five are cool & good.

etalian posted:

The books are good pulpy fun

It is possible, and true, that every quote here is correct.

(I am on book 4 and the left turn that is taken in the middle of the book is god drat wonderful.)

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
And even the "bad" book was still decent in the grand scheme of things.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
I enjoyed them all. Im actually disappointed with 6 and how it teases the aliens outside the gates who were a threat and then doesn't even really mention them except when Holden says something about them in passing

That's not to say I'm disappointed with it over all, just that bit. 5 and 6 Are two of my favorites.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
I just started watching this (with unfocused eyes to try to avoid spoilers) but the one thing I absolutely love is how real the danger of exploding ships are in not just the force, but the shrapnel it delivers at high velocity in a radial spray. Maybe not railgun gun force, but more like bird shot which chews up tiny ships.

The scene with the hooks on the non-Earther (? is that a spoiler?) was gut wrenching when I realized what was happening.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

That was the coolest moment in one of the best episodes of any TV show that year outside of premium cable. That episode was a huge payoff when you find out that Mars wasn't behind the attack on the Cant and that the poo poo was just getting deeper, plus the most powerful military force in the solar system got their asses handed to them.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

wookieepelt posted:

That was the coolest moment in one of the best episodes of any TV show that year outside of premium cable. That episode was a huge payoff when you find out that Mars wasn't behind the attack on the Cant and that the poo poo was just getting deeper, plus the most powerful military force in the solar system got their asses handed to them.

Also RIP Shed

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Baloogan posted:

In my mind the crash couches were spheres embedded in the walls, that as soon as you are in them the sphere rotate independently, and also maintain pressure inside the sphere
Loads of white plastic with (white) webbing fabric. the plastic had lighting elements either embedded in the plastic or behind the plastic. The walls were built to handle small railgun projectiles zooming through, so the plastic in the walls had special pockets / bubbles with chemicals and such so that if a railgun projectile zoomed through the wall itsself would melt (due to the chems mixing, and the pressure drop sucking the goop into the hole) and fill the gap

Very tight quarters, everything covered in white webbing, so if you are freefloating and the ship violently rotated you were likely not gonna bang your head hard.

Loads of web belts floating everywhere, no metal ladders just cloth ladders

belter ships were very dirty, instead of rope ladders had just ropes strewn around, with stuff stowed by tieing on to it. crews with breath masks on, ships are held at much much lower pressures than inner planet ships.

I've never had a good idea of what a crash couch is supposed to look like. I end up picturing something like a papasan chair that gimbals, but that can't be right because it wouldn't mold to the limbs during high-g maneuvers.

I think PDC rounds can end up ricocheting after penetrating the hull, but railgun rounds come through so fast they just punch a clean hole through the ship. It seems like hull breaches have to be dealt with manually (e.g. like Amos and Naomi do on the Donnager), but ship walls are covered in some kind of anti-spalling coating to prevent impacts from creating a bunch of shrapnel. I can't remember, but I think it might also be soft to limit injuries during unexpected course changes. Military ships, at least, also feature a lot of rounded edges internally for the same reason.

I'd always assumed the ladders and handholds were metal, but I don't remember them ever explicitly saying it, and rope does seem like a better idea than having metal projections all over the place.

I really don't have a good sense of Belter ship layout. They don't go in for traditional arrangements like tables and chairs, which impose an arbitrary spatial orientation on the room, but I'm not sure what that really leaves. Their ships are generally cheap and run down, but on the other hand they're fastidiously maintained. Everything not being actively used is securely stowed (electromagnetically locked to walls, I think), and every latch and seal is re-checked with neurotic frequency. They're the tidiest flying tenements.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

etalian posted:

Also RIP Shed

that was a vivid image to put it mildly.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

uber_stoat posted:

that was a vivid image to put it mildly.

I think of it every time someone passes me a blunt.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Baloogan posted:

I imagine beanbags, like this:

I believe that’s actually the UN Navy dress uniform. :laugh:

Toast Museum posted:

I'd always assumed the ladders and handholds were metal, but I don't remember them ever explicitly saying it, and rope does seem like a better idea than having metal projections all over the place.

Belter ship:

Inner planet ships have plastic walls/floors/ceilings with soft edges. This is the type, but with less obsolete crap built‐in:

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 2, 2017

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Platystemon posted:

I imagine beanbags, like this:

I think you're right, I think the couches are designed on the presumption all significant thrust will be in one direction, like the rest of the ship.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

Krazyface posted:

I think you're right, I think the couches are designed on the presumption all significant thrust will be in one direction, like the rest of the ship.

Well, unless coming from an outside force, all significant thrust has to come from the main engines which are all located at the back of the ship and all point in the same direction.

Fun anecdote : in the game "Space Engineers" I tend to put more thrusters at the front of my ships facing forward, as in that game I think it's way more important to be able to stop quickly than to accelerate quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Evernoob posted:

Well, unless coming from an outside force, all significant thrust has to come from the main engines which are all located at the back of the ship and all point in the same direction.

Battleships probably don't have omnidirectional crash couches, but ships like the Rocinante seem to behave more like fighter planes (because fighter planes are :coal:). I wouldn't be surprised if the Roci can thrust as hard backwards as forwards—just with much less efficiency (no impossibly efficient Epstein drive).

The Rocinante can definitely thrust somewhat greater than 1 G at 90° to the floor, because it belly-lands on Ilus

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jan 2, 2017

• Locked thread