Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Fun fact. I thought Dershowitz was a Republican.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
the best part is that he admits that he'll still vote D but just have a massive shitfit about it in public

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

GlyphGryph posted:

The opinions of the actual electorate on a huge number of issues are so mercurial and contextual that drawing conclusions even from a perfectly representative poll on "what we should do", or for anything more complex than "who are you probably going to vote for", is iffy.

The loudest voices in the room might not be representative of the actual electorate, but is "representative of the actual electorate" what a campaign or politician should actually desire as their goal? Most of the actual electorate have very superficial opinions working off very limited information based largely on "things I've recently heard people say" on many subjects (myself included here) that should absolutely be disregarded when determining what policies to pursue.

But if you've got a big chunk of people being very loud about something, sometimes they are just good at being loud sure but other times it is because they are the ones who *are* informed, or at least relatively more informed and unlikely to change their opinion based on superficial context changes... and simply by virtue of being loud, they often have an outsized sway on many of the people with less strong opinions.

well let me put it this way - i worked on a northeast statewide campaign in 2014. every call/door knock with undecided voters, our staff and volunteers asked what issue was most important to them. maybe like 50-60% of the responses, excluding "i don't know" were "abortion," and those people were entirely pro-life without exception. i'm pretty sure that wasn't the actual #1 issue among those undecided voters! and our polling backed that up. i would say that pivoting our message toward abortion would have been a massive strategic error because that is not what people wanted to talk about, even if certain groups of people were very passionate about it.

sure, i agree with the idea that the party should be a thermostat and not a thermometer. i am sure a lot of people here agree with bernie-style activists, but is the party really listening to what people want if it started pursuing animal rights & anti-gmo policies? those are policies with very loud advocates but their issues don't rate at all in polling.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Like I'd be concerned about losing donors like Saban if the map wasn't blood red. Something's gotta give.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Tatum Girlparts posted:

is the corbyn factor one dude who is barely considered a democrat other than the literal letter next to his name being a bitch?

no it's getting your poo poo pushed in by the loving lib dems lol

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Aurubin posted:

Like I'd be concerned about losing donors like Saban if the map wasn't blood red. Something's gotta give.

The money obviously doesn't help if there's no one on the bench to run

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Concerned Citizen posted:

well let me put it this way - i worked on a northeast statewide campaign in 2014. every call/door knock with undecided voters, our staff and volunteers asked what issue was most important to them. maybe like 50-60% of the responses, excluding "i don't know" were "abortion," and those people were entirely pro-life without exception. i'm pretty sure that wasn't the actual #1 issue among those undecided voters! and our polling backed that up. i would say that pivoting our message toward abortion would have been a massive strategic error because that is not what people wanted to talk about, even if certain groups of people were very passionate about it.

sure, i agree with the idea that the party should be a thermostat and not a thermometer. i am sure a lot of people here agree with bernie-style activists, but is the party really listening to what people want if it started pursuing animal rights & anti-gmo policies? those are policies with very loud advocates but their issues don't rate at all in polling.

I mean, agree about your conclusions, as usual, even if we disagree on a lot of the details.

quote:

those are policies with very loud advocates but their issues don't rate at all in polling.
What do you consider "not rating at all", though? Wasn't a crucial part of Trump's victory his managing to convincingly appeal to pro-life voters? It seemed like that actually would have been relevant data - maybe not in the form of "oh this is popular so we should switch to supporting this" but in terms of "we know this is a big deal for these people and we need to figure out another way to win them over, depress their turnout, or otherwise account for the fact that the opponent has them on lock"

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Aurubin posted:

Fun fact. I thought Dershowitz was a Republican.

he's pro-israel democrat

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Alan Dershowitz has harmed more Jews and destroyed more Jewish academics careers than a rabid anti Semite ever could because of his fetish over an apartheid state so the sooner progressives dump him and saban the better, gently caress those assholes.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Yeah but they were Reform Jews so it doesn't really count.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

GlyphGryph posted:

What do you consider "not rating at all", though? Wasn't a crucial part of Trump's victory his managing to convincingly appeal to pro-life voters? It seemed like that actually would have been relevant data - maybe not in the form of "oh this is popular so we should switch to supporting this" but in terms of "we know this is a big deal for these people and we need to figure out another way to win them over, depress their turnout, or otherwise account for the fact that the opponent has them on lock"

when i mean "not rating" i mean like, these are often issues that only 1-2% of the electorate really cares about. as far as pro-life - well, in the case of that race, i think it would have been a disaster to pivot from an economy-oriented message and willingly slog into the swamp of the culture war. but as far as pro-life voters go, it's a bit of an issue isn't it? i mean at some point you have to accept there are some voters you aren't going to win. one interesting thing was that Planned Parenthood commissioned a series of focus groups with trump voters in swing states (without telling people it was them). they often found that a number of trump voters, especially women, were strongly pro-choice, would not vote for a pro-life candidate, and also simply did not believe him when he said he was pro-life. so what is the effective strategy for dealing with that issue? if you're targeting trump's pro-life base, you could pivot and talk about "reasonable" restrictions on abortion (i.e. partial birth) to the horror of your pro-choice supporters - and i doubt trump's base would really believe you. you could question trump's commitment to his stated belief, but then you're also giving your pro-choice supporters on the fence an excuse to defect. i think the clinton campaign took the tactic of amping up turnout among women by asking them to take trump at his word when he said he wanted to restrict abortion - and they didn't.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I'd be fine with some hand-wringing or lip service wrt abortion if it would really get us more voters. Better to compromise on that than the stuff lovely Democrats actually do compromise on. Then again I don't really care about abortion as an issue one way or another because I'm not hardcore religious and don't raw dog.

Jewel Repetition has issued a correction as of 21:25 on Dec 30, 2016

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Fallen Hamprince posted:

no it's getting your poo poo pushed in by the loving lib dems lol

lol wrong

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
corbyn's brexit strategy is really dumb and it's destroying labour

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I'd be fine with some hand-wringing or lip service wrt abortion if it would really get us more voters. Better to compromise on that than the stuff lovely Democrats actually do compromise on. Then again I don't really care about abortion as an issue one way or another because I'm not religious and don't raw dog.

Like what is the process by which you imagine hand wringing and lip service wrt abortion reliably wins you votes rather than hurting loyalty among groups for which it is important?

corbyn's brexit strategy is really dumb and it's destroying labour

Labour MPs were hard at working destroying labour before Corbyn had a brexit strategy so that seems unlikely.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

jBrereton posted:

good I'm glad you guys can enjoy The Corbyn Factor in the US as we have been doing for a while here.

honestly I can't think of anyone who actually likes Dershowitz any more on either side of the aisle

like they'll cite him to back up whatever they're arguing but they still hate the annoying little poo poo

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

GlyphGryph posted:

Labour MPs were hard at working destroying labour before Corbyn had a brexit strategy so that seems unlikely.

well you have ukip/tories calling for brexit, you have lib dems saying we shouldn't brexit, and then labour who have the literal argument of "52% of the country voted for brexit so that's what we should do, but let's do it right!" if you can't make a moral argument for why your position is right and best for the nation, maybe it's the wrong position. the issue is that both corbyn and the rebel mps are hysterically incompetent.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

well you have ukip/tories calling for brexit, you have lib dems saying we shouldn't brexit, and then labour who have the literal argument of "52% of the country voted for brexit so that's what we should do, but let's do it right!" if you can't make a moral argument for why your position is right and best for the nation, maybe it's the wrong position. the issue is that both corbyn and the rebel mps are hysterically incompetent.

I'm not sure why that middle position is any less capable of having a moral argument supporting it than the other two?

I mean, British Labour is incompetent and divided so I will totally buy that they have failed to make a moral argument as to why that position is right and best for the nation, but you seem to think it's fundamentally impossible which is weird.

Like if we just crested a steep hill and we're building up speed going down the other side, "Let's judiciously apply the breaks while navigating the safest possible path to the bottom, because at this point it would probably end poorly for us if we tried to turn around" seems just as if not more morally defensible as "Let's blast down this hill in a straight line at top speed!" and "Let's just do a quick 180 and start pedaling in the other direction"

GlyphGryph has issued a correction as of 21:53 on Dec 30, 2016

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
jeremy corbyn is like bernie sanders successfully ousted barack obama at the expense of losing half the party in a civil war only to reveal that he was really barack obama in a rubber suit the whole time

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

HorseRenoir posted:

jeremy corbyn is like bernie sanders successfully ousted barack obama at the expense of losing half the party in a civil war only to reveal that he was really barack obama in a rubber suit the whole time

i've seen like three people with that av in different colours, where's it from

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

GlyphGryph posted:

I'm not sure why that middle position is any less capable of having a moral argument supporting it than the other two?

I mean, British Labour is incompetent and divided so I will totally buy that they have failed to make a moral argument as to why that position is right and best for the nation, but you seem to think it's fundamentally impossible which is weird.

Like if we just crested a steep hill and we're building up speed going down the other side, "Let's judiciously apply the breaks while navigating the safest possible path to the bottom, because at this point it would probably end poorly for us if we tried to turn around" seems just as if not more morally defensible as "Let's blast down this hill in a straight line at top speed!" and "Let's just do a quick 180 and start pedaling in the other direction"

well it would be more like if you had spent years insisting that the bottom of the hill would be a disaster for everyone in the car and end in ruin, and then once you go to the hill you say "well it's still a bad idea to go down this hill, but let's make the best of it folks." if you really believed it would end in disaster, surely you would not give up so easily? it seems weird to me to have a party to say "we won't stand in the way of an idea that we openly acknowledge is terrible."

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009
not on topic, but does anyone remember the name of that black man who was convicted for murder but then had all eight (I believe) witnesses recant their testimonies?

OT

Peel posted:

Jeffrey by Young Thug

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I'd be fine with some hand-wringing or lip service wrt abortion if it would really get us more voters. Better to compromise on that than the stuff lovely Democrats actually do compromise on. Then again I don't really care about abortion as an issue one way or another because I'm not hardcore religious and don't raw dog.

good grief no. we absolutely do not need more mealy-mouthed hucksters making whiny noises about federal funding for family planning services in our caucus. the one good thing the Tea Party did was slay the majority of those cretins.

even if these hypothetical people were economically left, i still wouldnt vote for them just on the basis of them being completely loving untrustworthy when it comes to womens health issues.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

murder every millionaire imo

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Terror Sweat posted:

murder every millionaire imo

dude you dont skin the sheep, you shear them

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

paranoid randroid posted:

dude you dont skin the sheep, you shear them

might take a different approach if the sheep were fueling their wool growth by gnawing off your leg

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
man you got hosed up sheep over there

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The folly of compromise bore itself out during Obama's attempts to reach out to the gop.

We need backbone and hormonal fortitude and we really should have that five years ago.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Peel posted:

Is it really different people? I always assumed it was a color changing gif with an insanely long time between frames

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

HorseRenoir posted:

the best part is that he admits that he'll still vote D but just have a massive shitfit about it in public

I say the dems could do well to have one less possible pedophile voting for it.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

If we lose the pedophile vote then what demos do we have left

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

Grand Prize Winner posted:

If we lose the pedophile vote then what demos do we have left

If the republicans lost the pedo vote they would have no voter base except old church ladies.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Princess Di posted:

If the republicans lost the pedo vote they would have no voter base except old church ladies.

drat, there's 10s of millions of pedophiles in the us? Maybe those pizza gate dudes were on to something.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Ace of Baes posted:

drat, there's 10s of millions of pedophiles in the us? Maybe those pizza gate dudes were on to something.

i think this thread should go back to the previous title

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Al! posted:

i think this thread should go back to the previous title

I was just poking fun and joshing around you rear end in a top hat mother fucker, you god drat SON OF A BITCH, YOU STUPID FUCKER.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/814977856774242305

CrumFUNist!
Nov 27, 2005

Princess Di posted:

this means anthony weiner was a republican the whole time

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

i guess the money would go to "drunk wayne county teens"

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

We should donate money to have that mural fixed, but instead of a mural, it's a wooden house where we burn them all alive inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

zegermans posted:

We should donate money to have that mural fixed, but instead of a mural, it's a wooden house where we burn them all alive inside.

when did you suddenly become a better poster

• Locked thread