Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I think even with a fictional US v World competition where everyone plays. The US would have won most years this century. The only time I think the US could have lost would have been somewhere from 05-11. (This is assuming Duncan betrays his homeland again and plays for the US.)

Dejan Bimble posted:

I'll directly quote Phil Jackson: All American basketball players are steady trappin, they stay on that sizzurp, their friends have been deputized in a lawless frontier context, and their fathers vanished without a trace as in the HBO series The Leftovers. Soviet and Yugoslavian ballers read fine literature, they work out in computerized Rocky IV style gyms, and they show no fear and no mercy. Of the last 10 olympics, I think there would be 6 Soviet golds, 3 Yugoslav, and 1 Argentinian. USA would have to be satisfied with the bronze

So they would have worse training regiments than LeBron. Their "fine literature" would be whatever the allowed state propaganda was. Who is the best player from this fictional team? Comedy answer is Durant defects to join the USSR

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Cool Buff Man posted:

Thank you. People voting for Kemba haven't looked at the drat stats. Isaiah is better in every single way except 3 pt % and he makes up for that elsewhere according to his ts% and his feet don't even touch the ground while at the barber

The last time I watched Isaiah play he torched my team to the tune of 40something points. The next day, in anger, I rode a roller coaster that he could not ride due to height restrictions. I then remembered my promise to myself to bear no ill will toward others and voted for him out of his respect for his skills.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

WhyteRyce posted:

https://twitter.com/Cowbell_Kingdom/status/814858197508886528

Koufos for Patrick Beverly is what I want.

Koufos for Corey Brewer is what I'll get.

Trading Bev for Koufos would make me extremely angry

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

NickRoweFillea posted:

The last time I watched Isaiah play he torched my team to the tune of 40something points. The next day, in anger, I rode a roller coaster that he could not ride due to height restrictions. I then remembered my promise to myself to bear no ill will toward others and voted for him out of his respect for his skills.

Lmao that's beautiful. He's a real boy.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl-and-other-leagues-win-lawsuit-to-seize-websites-selling-fakes-1.641022

No more 20 dollar spacejam jerseys from China.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Spacebump posted:

I think even with a fictional US v World competition where everyone plays. The US would have won most years this century. The only time I think the US could have lost would have been somewhere from 05-11. (This is assuming Duncan betrays his homeland again and plays for the US.

2008ish would be

CP3
Kobe
Lebron
Garnett
Duncan

vs

Nash
Parker
Kirilenko
Nowitzki
Yao

With Ginobili as 6th man and Pau rotating with Dirk and Yao.

World team wouldn't have anyone that could guard Lebron but otherwise it would be pretty competitive.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Team Germany

Dirk
Schröder
50 year old Detlef Schrempf
The corpse of Christian Welp
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ <- (mystery player goes here)

A country of 80,000,000+ should really be able to produce more NBA caliber players than that.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Jack's Flow posted:

Team Germany

Dirk
Schröder

A country of 80,000,000+ should really be able to produce more NBA caliber players than that.

Boozer baby!!!

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Jack's Flow posted:

Team Germany

Dirk
Schröder

I've seen a lot of Dirk's international games. Watching the guards on Team Germany (pre-Schröder) was just painful. Significantly worse than the 2012-13 Mavs.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
This is the best thing ever

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
That might be the statline that lets Michael Carter Williams ascend to alpha status

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Jack's Flow posted:

Team Germany

Dirk
Schröder

Basketball was never a thing in Germany until Dirk came along and it is only really kind of a thing there now - Brose Bamberg are the dominant German team winning 6 of the last 7 Bundesliga titles and during that stretch they've never once made the final eight in the EuroLeague. Once Dirk retires there's a very good chance basketball will go back to being even more of a minority sport in Germany than it is now.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Cool Buff Man posted:

This is the best thing ever

I thought Rondo was at least a good defender.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Spacebump posted:

I think even with a fictional US v World competition where everyone plays. The US would have won most years this century. The only time I think the US could have lost would have been somewhere from 05-11. (This is assuming Duncan betrays his homeland again and plays for the US.)

So they would have worse training regiments than LeBron. Their "fine literature" would be whatever the allowed state propaganda was. Who is the best player from this fictional team? Comedy answer is Durant defects to join the USSR

The problem with those international teams in an extreme lack of wings.

Tony Parker and Steve Nash are great point guards.

Old Yao and Pao are a great center rotation.

Dirk is in his prime.

The big problem is on the wing. The only suitable options are Manu and Peja. That's some bad defense yo.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

NickRoweFillea posted:

I love everything about this

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

NickRoweFillea posted:

lol

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

1x First team and 2x Second team All-NBA Defense Andrei Kirilenko says what up?

Only player other than Hakeem to get a 5x6, and Hakeem needed double OT while AK47 did it in regulation.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

NickRoweFillea posted:

:perfect:

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
DeAndre Jordan had his jersey retired today by the Christian Life Center Academy in Kingwood, TX

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Cameron Payne plans to return Jan 2 and I'm very excited

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

chunkles posted:

DeAndre Jordan had his jersey retired today by the Christian Life Center Academy in Kingwood, TX

This sounds like some culty prosperity gospel joint.

NickRoweFillea posted:

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Jack's Flow posted:

Team Germany

Dirk
Schröder

Shawn Bradley, Chris Kaman.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
All-Star Paul George:

https://twitter.com/NBA/status/814975909728055296

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9VZPlnjq8M

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZWAdR4QXtA

Edit: Rip Rondo

https://twitter.com/KCJHoop/status/814980643998277632

Dexo fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 31, 2016

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

drat 3 alphas didn't even make it till January

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Niwrad posted:

drat 3 alphas didn't even make it till January

There will always be 3 Alphas, MCW has ascended to replace the fallen Rondo

Also technically the next game is in Jan. Nope I'm dumb

Dexo fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 31, 2016

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound

This is tremendous and excellent evidence as to why the NBA is the best

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

tanglewood1420 posted:

True.

I suggested this in the offseason and no-one else picked it up. :smith:

A basketball style Ryder Cup, USA vs Europe, three game series played in the pre-season over a week, played every two years. Of course you wouldn't get any of the big stars signing up due to injury concerns but it would be pretty fun.

e: Other fantasy not going to happen option to make the Olympics/World Champs more of an even contest would be to split the USA into states. Who's ready for semi-final matchups of California v France and Texas vs Spain?

I like that a lot, or go North America vs The World like they did for the NHL all star game. Or All of North America Except Canada vs The World to make it even more fair. I just want some high level international basketball competition outside of the eurocup

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Mr. F! posted:

I thought Rondo was at least a good defender.

Like 7 years ago sure.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Hand Row posted:

Like 7 years ago sure.

Lol thats about when I watched him last.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I look into my crystal ball and see the Bulls front office jobs being saved by the Suns, Wizards or Magic GMs doing something rash and bad to attempt to save their jobs and taking Rondo off their hands while sending a helpful piece the Bull's way for no good reason.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

NickRoweFillea posted:

I always laugh at Isaiah short jokes until I remember he's four inches taller than me. The amazing thing about basketball is that we call guys like him and AI "diminutive" when they're really average sized men.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Time to admit I was totally wrong about Montrezl Harrell, he's a great ~15mpg player.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Henchman of Santa posted:

I always laugh at Isaiah short jokes until I remember he's four inches taller than me. The amazing thing about basketball is that we call guys like him and AI "diminutive" when they're really average sized men.

Haha check out buddy when he post

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

remember how we made fun of the three alphas and then the bulls started out really hot and then embraced the alphas semi-ironically and then everything fell apart in pretty much the exact obvious way that every single basketball analyst predicted

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Henchman of Santa posted:

He's shorter than me, if I saw him in public I'd steal his nose.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Cool Buff Man posted:

Haha check out buddy when he post

I make up for it with my vert

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Is Isaiah like, actually 5'10" or is he 5'10 in the same way that JJ Barea is 6'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

chunkles posted:

Is Isaiah like, actually 5'10" or is he 5'10 in the same way that JJ Barea is 6'?

I think he's legit 5'9", it's just that that's like being 4'8" among normal humans.

• Locked thread