Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Grandmother of Five posted:

i just read what i thought was a really dumb & petty user report from elsewhere on the forum. you mods & admins should have a PYF thread for posting the dumbest reports, PMs and complaints in.

Complete with the 'offending post' quoted as well as the name of the goon that submitted the report.

If you're going to do it, do it right and make sure it's fun for all of us!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Grandmother of Five posted:

i just read what i thought was a really dumb & petty user report from elsewhere on the forum. you mods & admins should have a PYF thread for posting the dumbest reports, PMs and complaints in.

i get that you want people to be able to help out some, but i'm guessing some people are just super entrenched in forum drama bs, or are so frightfully stupid, that sharing the weirdest & dumbest reports or PMs wouldn't prevent people from reporting useful stuff.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3617914

e: This one is just PYF, but really dumb/inane reports are less common than they have been in the past. Most reports that come in and aren't acted upon are just kind of boring. People being reported for white-noise posting, empty quotes, jokes the reporter doesn't get, that sort of thing.

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Dec 30, 2016

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3617914

e: This one is just PYF, but really dumb/inane reports are less common than they have been in the past. Most reports that come in and aren't acted upon are just kind of boring. People being reported for white-noise posting, empty quotes, jokes the reporter doesn't get, that sort of thing.

How quickly did reports go down and how much did they go down after the "quit reporting stupid poo poo" rule came about?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Most reports that come in and aren't acted upon are just kind of boring. People being reported for white-noise posting, empty quotes, jokes the reporter doesn't get, that sort of thing.
This is surreal to me. What kind of person does that? "oh, a post I don't get, better report it"

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ToxicSlurpee posted:

How quickly did reports go down and how much did they go down after the "quit reporting stupid poo poo" rule came about?

We didn't take metrics or anything, but it was very effective within just a few days.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SinineSiil posted:

This is surreal to me. What kind of person does that? "oh, a post I don't get, better report it"

What happens here is that someone will read a post but not realize it's supposed to be a joke, and to him or her it's just a wildly off-topic post, like wtf this guy isn't even posting his favorite color in the "PYF Color" thread? This is a highly disruptive thread derail, can we PLEASE get back to posting our favorite color?

Out of the bullet points in that thread, I think I actually have a little sympathy for this one because the reporter is just dumb. Not really much he or she can do about that, oh well.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Butts

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Can you pose that in the form of a question for our moderator team?

For instance: "Butts?"

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It was pretty immediate. PYF was getting like 15-20 reports per day, then we posted that thread, and it dropped to like 1 every few days right away. Now it's like 2-4 per day.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

Can you pose that in the form of a question for our moderator team?

For instance: "Butts?"

Yes.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Good to know.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
But how many butts?

All of the butts or just some of the butts?

This is a very important question.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I always wondered why the GBS changed a few years ago orotund Halloween. It used to be basically a twin of D&D and news stories. Was there a certain tipping point that caused it or did whoever do it just want to turn it away from that?

How long do you think it will take for the forums to fully die or become unsustainable for what the upkeep costs? I want to be here when the sun goes out.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I always wondered why the GBS changed a few years ago orotund Halloween. It used to be basically a twin of D&D and news stories. Was there a certain tipping point that caused it or did whoever do it just want to turn it away from that?

How long do you think it will take for the forums to fully die or become unsustainable for what the upkeep costs? I want to be here when the sun goes out.
I think the mods decided to experimentally change things up? I remember a lot of tension on the forums at the time - doobie's dogs going south and aatrek being outed happened around the same time, a few months before the GBS change.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
What's the cause of the recent doxxing warnings? If you can tell us, of course.

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm not a mod but my guess is schmorky and diaper accessory related events

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Discendo Vox posted:

Couple dozen posters have been doxxed by particular website and have been getting harassed. QCS is actually a good place to check for stuff like this.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Couple dozen posters have been doxxed by particular website and have been getting harassed. QCS is actually a good place to check for stuff like this.

Thanks, I'll do that in the future, sorry.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Discendo Vox posted:

Thanks, I'll do that in the future, sorry.

No need to apologize. It's not like QCS is a hoppin place that everyone reads.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Nobody should read QCS.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
QCS krew represent

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

mods, what's surprised you most about your work?

Friendly Humour posted:

QCS krew represent

QCS Qrew, surely.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
The vitriol

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

This is my Cobra Unit name.

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]
Will you have to kill me if I ask how the usernames are determined in the username threads (like the one I got my name in)?

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

weak wrists big dick posted:

Will you have to kill me if I ask how the usernames are determined in the username threads (like the one I got my name in)?

Facebook posts and Bing search history, customized to each user

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

weak wrists big dick posted:

I just made them up. Like 800 of them over a couple days. That's why some of them sucked.

I don't know about previous threads.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

FactsAreUseless posted:

I just made them up. Like 800 of them over a couple days. That's why some of them sucked.

I like mine tyvm

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

FactsAreUseless posted:

You made me google manime

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

MANime in the sheets posted:

You made me google manime

it's a portmanteau of man & anime

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i like mods

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Lone Goat posted:

it's a portmanteau of man & anime

And a very specific niche of anime.

I know that NOW.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

FactsAreUseless posted:

I hate mine because of its accuracy.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

whiter than a Wilco show posted:

I hate mine because of its accuracy.
It's actually a 30 Rock line I stole.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

FactsAreUseless posted:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

FactsAreUseful!

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

I love mine, just wish I could get the first and second words capitalized.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Awesome, thanks!

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
When I got my new username, I was psyched because I used to have pet rats named Lemon and Lime.

Then, a few days ago, my wife said she's been looking things up online and figures I maybe got bit by a tick at some point and never knew it. If she talks me into going to the doctor and the theory pans out, I'll be DOUBLE psyched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

Who's dick do I gotta suck to be able to ban people?

Don't say lowtax, because gently caress that guy

Also, Is it a crime to hate lowtax? Asking for a friend.

• Locked thread