Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Mokinokaro posted:

Go to the badge crafting section and open up the badge.

Thanks.

Ramadu I sent you a friend request and I'll give you 3 and 8 for free. If anyone needs 4 or 5 feel free to PM me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I have two extra of I Thought This Game Was Cool, and one extra of There's Something in My Eye, Just 5 More Minutes, and Best Use of a Farm Animal. Only need Test of Time, but I can give the rest away if anyone needs 'em.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/JustinBrett

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jordan7hm posted:

e: posting a cart list to see if there are any games people have thoughts about

ASDAD: All-Stars Dungeons and Diamonds
GAMES by Anatoliy Loginovskikh - Includes 3 items: The Last Error
Immortal Defense

Initial thoughts on some games

ASDAD is fine for what it is, but what it is is a boring pacman 2 player game with no monsters. I would have refunded it if it wasn't all of a buck.

The Last Error is a distillation of the platformer genre. It has 7 different "styles" of platformer and each style has a set of levels to get through. I gave up once the levels got too hard for me. My favorite was the foot, which has an infinitely tall hit box and can only move during the step action (a jump, basically). I think this is probably worth your money and 30 minutes, particularly if you're good at platformers.

Immortal Defense was really good and fun. It's an interesting take on the TD genre with more story and more moment to moment player engagement besides just clicking "next wave".

e: The Big Elk is a weird shooter that isn't very fun because it's not clear what you need to shoot and you're constantly short on ammo. There's a backpack to get more ammo but you need to wait during a cooldown and it sucks.

Also the tutorial is one of the weirdest worst tutorials I've ever played. It shows you the controls but not the purpose.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 30, 2016

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Plan Z posted:

Was leaning towards UG since I liked Gettysburg so much. Out of curiosity, what's the problem with the devs?

http://steamcommunity.com/app/369390/discussions/0/485622866436489698

http://steamcommunity.com/app/369390/discussions/0/485623339233351859

http://steamcommunity.com/app/369390/discussions/0/485623406940553521

They have a single part-time programmer, they refuse to take time to optimize their game, the game is single-threaded.

It runs 12FPS maximum and they will tell you to go gently caress yourself for complaining.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Thanks to Fart of Presto for STASIS and Rambo: Baker Team!!

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah I couldn't bother beating Axiom Verge, saying its "bland" is a good way of putting it. The way you switch weapons was also very un-intuitive and some of the areas were very frustrating to navigate.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Hey what was that game that was talked about as being like the good investigation parts of the secret world?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

The Leck posted:

Thanks for all the feedback - it's sounding like Shovel Knight and at least one of the others are in my future.

Try xeodrifter. It's a short and sweet metroidvania for 99 cents. I liked it better than axiom verge.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Hey what was that game that was talked about as being like the good investigation parts of the secret world?

I believe this was The Black Watchmen.

squirt the daisies
Apr 26, 2009

Immortal Wombat? That game is for pantywaists!
Hey dudes, i just finished it and feel like i must give you a strong recommendation for ABZU.
It's a beautiful, unique game and an amazingly beautiful experience. It takes you in a whole different world and it made me, for example, thinking of how small we are :)

Really, get it!

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Axiom Verge has cool ideas and wows you for about the first half of the game, until the cutscene. After that, the design flaws become really apparent. It's all the more disappointing after a really strong start.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Binary Domain is only 6gb? That seems... really odd. RE4 is bigger than that at 11GB.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
It's hard to talk about without spoiling anything, but Pony Island is great and definitely worth a buck fifty.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

squirt the daisies posted:

Hey dudes, i just finished it and feel like i must give you a strong recommendation for ABZU.
It's a beautiful, unique game and an amazingly beautiful experience. It takes you in a whole different world and it made me, for example, thinking of how small we are :)

Really, get it!

I loved Endless Ocean on the Wii and would be all over a chill diving game. Is it mostly diving and taking in the scenery or is it hectic "avoid the sharks" stuff?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Ularg posted:

Binary Domain is only 6gb? That seems... really odd. RE4 is bigger than that at 11GB.

Binary Domain is a port of a low fi 360 game and RE4 is a recent rerelease on PC meaning they just uncompressed every asset they had.

squirt the daisies
Apr 26, 2009

Immortal Wombat? That game is for pantywaists!

Hopper posted:

I loved Endless Ocean on the Wii and would be all over a chill diving game. Is it mostly diving and taking in the scenery or is it hectic "avoid the sharks" stuff?

Without spoiling anything, you're not in danger, you're friend with almost everyone :)
You should definitely buy the game, it's quite the experience!

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Radioactive Toy posted:

I believe this was The Black Watchmen.

Ah, thanks!

To anyone who has gotten the black watchmen, is the DLC worth getting?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Do we have a steam trading card thread anymore? I can't seem to find it and I'm shy two cards for the badge (Game Within a Game and Community Choice)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Okay, possibly my last purchase of the sale:

Death Road to Canada
The Silver Case
Pankapu
Civ V Expansion Packs Bundle

Any reason to pass on any of these? I'm particularly looking for opinions on the Silver Case, if anything.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Furnaceface posted:

Get Tales from the Borderlands instead. Its their best game.
Is it really that good? I need an open world fix and something that's easy to just pick up and play. I can't really commit to games that have too steep of a learning curve because I'm getting old and sucky at games.

• Metal Gear Rising
  • Death Road to Canada
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong - Extended Edition
  • Imagine Earth

And for what it's worth- I played Dying Light a few months back and loved it.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 31, 2016

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Well, definitely don't get MGR unless you're already versed in action games, and even then maybe not. It has the standard "difficult action game" of having a first boss fight hard enough to get people to quit!

Game's fantastic though. You start the game by fighting a Metal Gear. :black101:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The first boss fight is not that hard?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

The first boss fight is not that hard?

I'm talking about the blade wolf. I guess, given my edit above, the metal gear might be the first boss. But blade wolf is definitely the first thing in the game that's supposed to make you think about what you're doing.

For what it's worth, I agree with you. But google for "Metal Gear Rising Blade Wolf Quit" for a fair number of these anecdotes.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The trick with MGR is learning the parry ability and Blade Wolf's basically there to make sure you figure it out.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah add Ghost 1.0 to that list too. Unepic was so terrible but the devs actually made something great for their second game.

Ghost 1.0 is pretty difficult I found. And the turrets being able to get repaired kill you again just irked me for some reason.

And to contribute to the Axion Verge discussion:

The game was great for the first half. Then I realized I never got one item that hosed me over to advancing the story. I had to finally read a FAQ to find out the why I couldn't reach a new area.

Oh and way before that was the grappling hook. gently caress that add on. Talk about useless.

Turd Herder fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 31, 2016

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I flinched on Death Road to Canada due to how repetitive it seems to be from checking videos of it on youtube.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

melon cat posted:

Is it really that good? I need an open world fix and something that's easy to just pick up and play. I can't really commit to games that have too steep of a learning curve because I'm getting old and sucky at games.

There is nothing wrong with getting old and sucky at games. :colbert:

Also yes, Tales from the Borderlands is really that good. Its the only TT game Id ever actually recommend. They make perfect use of the Borderlands set pieces and strike a really good balance of serious and comedy. Plus the voice acting they got really did an excellent job.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

The Leck posted:

Thanks for all the feedback - it's sounding like Shovel Knight and at least one of the others are in my future.

Get Shantae and the Pirates Curse. Such a good game. I really liked it a lot.

Anyone have any recommendations for puzzle games similar in nature to The Room and The Room Two? I love the style of those games. I don't want to have to walk anywhere or find random doohickey in x Room to bring back to y Room. I love the gameplay of the Room series and I'm having trouble finding anything like them.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Blattdorf posted:

Axiom Verge has cool ideas and wows you for about the first half of the game, until the cutscene. After that, the design flaws become really apparent. It's all the more disappointing after a really strong start.

drat, that really sucks since I had been eyeballing the game for a while now. Good info to have, though.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Ularg posted:

If I remember right, BD isn't really that long, uses pretty much the same texture sets the entire game and the few cutscenes it has are all 2D animation.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

And to contribute to the Axion Verge discussion:

The game was great for the first half. Then I realized I never got one item that hosed me over to advancing the story. I had to finally read a FAQ to find out the why I couldn't reach a new area.

Oh and way before that was the grappling hook. gently caress that add on. Talk about useless.
The bit where you get the lovely controlling grappling hook and then the game throws you in a hole is where I imagine people quit it.

I really liked Axiom Verge, but it was definitely weaker in the second-half. It also needed teleporting. I really love the idea of riding the severed head of a war-machine that went insane from isolation but in practice it didn't need to happen seven times, and the main twists to the storyline showed up way too early as well.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK

Spiderdrake posted:

The bit where you get the lovely controlling grappling hook and then the game throws you in a hole is where I imagine people quit it.

I really liked Axiom Verge, but it was definitely weaker in the second-half. It also needed teleporting. I really love the idea of riding the severed head of a war-machine that went insane from isolation but in practice it didn't need to happen seven times, and the main twists to the storyline showed up way too early as well.

I agree with that.

I did like the hidden areas that seemed to be everywhere in the game. That was fun for awhile.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Boxman posted:

Well, definitely don't get MGR unless you're already versed in action games, and even then maybe not. It has the standard "difficult action game" of having a first boss fight hard enough to get people to quit!

Game's fantastic though. You start the game by fighting a Metal Gear. :black101:

MGR was my first introduction to both Metal Gear and character action games. It's probably great to get into the genre of games by starting at the best. Platinum pride themselves on being accessible to new players.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Boxman posted:

I'm talking about the blade wolf. I guess, given my edit above, the metal gear might be the first boss. But blade wolf is definitely the first thing in the game that's supposed to make you think about what you're doing.

For what it's worth, I agree with you. But google for "Metal Gear Rising Blade Wolf Quit" for a fair number of these anecdotes.

Mokinokaro posted:

The trick with MGR is learning the parry ability and Blade Wolf's basically there to make sure you figure it out.

Ah, yes. I got parrying down after the tutorial. Maybe it's just another "NOBODY BUT ME CAN PLAY VIDEO GAMES" bit but I felt the tutorial explained it easy and then it was. :shrug:

I could totally see people who don't get the parrying having a hard time though.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Ularg posted:

MGR was my first introduction to both Metal Gear and character action games. It's probably great to get into the genre of games by starting at the best. Platinum pride themselves on being accessible to new players.

Yeah it was pretty much my first game in the genre and I picked it up pretty quick and beat it on hard with only a couple of roadblocks (and they were mainly from keyboard + mouse messing up some of the precision cuts than the game's fault)

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Maybe I have bad opinions but I didn't enjoy most of Revengeance in general. Greatly preferred how Bayonetta worked.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
If you've never played Revengeance, check out chip's "how to play" video, it's really good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7IlIUKP64o

Revengeance actually has a dodge move that a lot of people miss because you actually have to buy the god drat thing (It's called Defensive Offence). It's on the 0:40 mark in the video.

mdh1975
Sep 4, 2011
If I could not get into Pillars of Eternity calling it flat/lifeless would I find more enjoyment with Divinity Original Sin?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I'm sure the takeaway from this is just "spectacle fighters are not for me," but lord I found Revengeance to be a massive disappointment. Dodge, block, go in for hits, here's some quicktime events that hold all the cool stuff you wish you could be doing, go back to dodge, block, strike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

mdh1975 posted:

If I could not get into Pillars of Eternity calling it flat/lifeless would I find more enjoyment with Divinity Original Sin?

Divinity's probably got more of a sense of humor, but the plot/writing in general is still overwhelmingly generic and uninteresting. The combat's great and it's still a fantastic co-op game, though.

• Locked thread