Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

steinrokkan posted:

I have always wondered, would those American ancestry people in the South be actually of some British ancestry, or would that whole area be a weird mix of descents?
IIRC, they're descendants of the same kind of people that settled in Ulster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
It is peculiar that those counties in the Northeast bordering on Quebec are majority "French", yet one single county reports as "French Canadian".

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
The anglish were german though not really seeing the problem.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

steinrokkan posted:

I have always wondered, would those American ancestry people in the South be actually of some British ancestry, or would that whole area be a weird mix of descents?

Mostly Scotch-Irish, I think?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Buller posted:

The anglish were german though not really seeing the problem.

That's not how it works.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

A Buttery Pastry posted:

IIRC, they're descendants of the same kind of people that settled in Ulster.
Presbyterians?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

pretty much white British, yes, plus with a considerably higher level of black and native admixture than the north because of lack of large scale 19th century immigration, similar to latin america to a degree

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Presbyterians?

Assholes.

White Southerners probably are more British than other white Americans since they've had less immigration from Europe since independence.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

steinrokkan posted:

They are generally descended from Protestant Scottish and Irish settlers, particularly protestant Scots that had first moved to Ireland and then later moved on to the Americas. Usually the proper English settlers got choicer lands and were wealthier, often running plantation farms when in the South, while these people were generally poorer and forced towards more marginal lands, and doing things like mining. They were also among the groups who were most hateful against any Catholic immigration later in history, in conjunction with the plain old English descendants of the Puritans in New England.

What'd be nice to see is someone compiling that map again with the 2010 census data, and indeed with earlier census data so we can see how the identification as "American" has spread over time. I also wonder if that census being in an election year, as half of them are, had any influence on people choosing to report as "American" for their ethnicity.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

HorseRenoir posted:

here's a stupid map from alt-right twitter

Holy poo poo, where to begin. First of all, love the Chinese text for Vancouver. Does Labrador have some affinity to Quebec, or vice versa, that we should know about?

"Orphaned Province of Hawaii" wow. Ignoring that Hawaii is much more able to be independent than NUNAVUT of all places, just ... what?

Adorable how he thinks Aztlan would stop at the ... wait, is that even a river in Texas? I thought it might be the Pecos but that is further south.

Spitballing myself but I can't imagine Chicago staying just a city state. It could easily unite the region and create an union of southern Great Lakes cities or city-states, with Detroit, Cleveland, and Milwaukee. Possibly with the Twin Cities and some others, because lol at Minneapolis, St Louis, and Cleveland being in the "Anglo-American Republic" without some healthy ethnic cleansing. Chicago would be the core of an octopus whose tentacles are the highways linking the cities.

This is weirdly one of the few Balkanization maps that doesn't involve an independent Utah or Deseret, and for that it fails miserably.

How nice of independent Nunavut to not annex the islands it shares with the Northwest Territories!

How does the African American Republic not arch deeper into the Carolinas? (Also, wow, talk about ethnic cleansing)

Properly, Aztlan wouldn't give a flying gently caress about Nevada above Vegas and surrender that to Deseret, which would also occupy southern Idaho (northern Idaho going to Cascadia).

Also, do they seriously have the border between Cascadia and Aztlan running through Suisun Bay? So ... is San Francisco in Aztlan or Cascadia? San Jose is clearly in Aztlan.

Just, just a shameful map.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Southern settlement isn't monolithic. South Carolina for instance had more connection with British indies settlements. Georgia was a prison colony. The Deep South wasn't settled until after independence and didn't really come into its own until after the second great awakening which affected the its character more than the original national origin of its settlers.

If anything can be said to link all of the South together it's that in fertile land near navigable water, slavery allowed for concentration of economic and political power in the hands of a few.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The Southern accent is the closest to the way the British accent used to be hundreds of years ago, vaguely like how Quebecois French is frozen in its own amber.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The Southern accent is the closest to the way the British accent used to be hundreds of years ago, vaguely like how Quebecois French is frozen in its own amber.

Well, back when colonization happened, there were already a lot of unique accents across Great Britain. The Appalachian South accent (but not like the lowland ah live on a plantation accent) is closest to how a lot of people were speaking across the Southwestern areas of England, iirc. The stereotypical rural New England accent is a lot like people were speaking in the sort of middle-notheast section of England, except they didn't so much r to ah yet.

There's other artifacts like this, a lot of little details of Philadelphia and New York area accents come from the original Dutch colonists, even though they and their descendants have long been outnumbered by tons of immigration.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Aren't there some isolated islands off the coast of North Carolina/Virginia where people speak in an accent close to some form of Elizabethan English?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Tangier, VA accent has definite parallels with the British West Country accent. I think general Southern American English has a few other influences though, it seems to have lost some of the common link sounds with West Country.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIZgw09CG9E

That says to me that Southern American and West Country both came from something a little more like Tangier.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncontacted_peoples

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Convenient of the Central African peoples to arrange themselves in question mark shaped areas like that. :v:

What does that actually mean, is it just not known who's out there?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Black shading is "there definitely are uncontacted peoples in this area", black question mark is "there might be".

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Seeing all the terrible maps of U.S balkanization makes it a lot easier to understand how the europeans messed up Africa and the Middle East so badly.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I like the uncontacted tribe living in the south of French Guiana, which would make them citizens of the European Union :v:

Also I thought that Papua New Guinea had uncontacted tribes as well, but it turns out there are plenty of tribes who are "contacted" in the sense that the government vaguely knows that they exist and vice versa instead

e: you should really check out the Attenborough documentary "A Blank on the Map" from 1971, where he sets out in what was then still the Australian Territory of Papua and New Guinea to establish first contact with an uncontacted tribe, it's really interesting

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 30, 2016

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

US balkanization maps are always funny because there's the obvious ones - the old Confederacy, Texas, California, New England, maybe the Rust Belt - and then there's the vast expanse with all the food and nukes nobody knows what to do with.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Golbez posted:

Does Labrador have some affinity to Quebec, or vice versa, that we should know about?

Not that I'd credit the makers of this piece of idiocy with the education to know this, but the Québec government does not recognize Newfoundland's ownership of Labrador. For this reason and others, there's long-standing political tension between Canada's oldest province and its newest.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

System Metternich posted:

I like the uncontacted tribe living in the south of French Guiana, which would make them citizens of the European Union :v:
What a blessed existence - to be cursed but unaware.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Byzantine posted:

US balkanization maps are always funny because there's the obvious ones - the old Confederacy, Texas, California, New England, maybe the Rust Belt - and then there's the vast expanse with all the food and nukes nobody knows what to do with.

Honestly you'd imagine that the areas where nothing is would simply be ruled as vast farming estates or ranch lands controlled by family groups: aka tribal confederacies.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Golbez posted:

Spitballing myself but I can't imagine Chicago staying just a city state. It could easily unite the region and create an union of southern Great Lakes cities or city-states, with Detroit, Cleveland, and Milwaukee. Possibly with the Twin Cities and some others, because lol at Minneapolis, St Louis, and Cleveland being in the "Anglo-American Republic" without some healthy ethnic cleansing. Chicago would be the core of an octopus whose tentacles are the highways linking the cities.

Chicago and Detroit look far apart on a map, but people don't realize that if you drive it you're never more than 5 minutes from an Oriental Massage Spa.

daydrinking is fun
Dec 1, 2016

Byzantine posted:

don't forget cascadia!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Cascadia is at least something that some locals seriously considered, unlike Free Nunavut.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I like the singular "First Nation."

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

SimonSays posted:

Not that I'd credit the makers of this piece of idiocy with the education to know this, but the Québec government does not recognize Newfoundland's ownership of Labrador. For this reason and others, there's long-standing political tension between Canada's oldest province and its newest.

Actually they do recognize Newfoundland's ownership of Labrador, they just recognize a different southern border.

A is the Privy Council's agreed border, B is Quebec's claim.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Is there even anything there for them to make use of, or is it just them wanting empty land for the sake of it?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Honestly you'd imagine that the areas where nothing is would simply be ruled as vast farming estates or ranch lands controlled by family groups: aka tribal confederacies.

ranches at best, the midwest is heavily dependent on motorized travel i.e. trains or automobiles in order to be economically viable. without these things it would devolve to hunter gatherer horselord steppes

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

fishmech posted:

Is there even anything there for them to make use of, or is it just them wanting empty land for the sake of it?
There are probably mineral resources there (Labrador's main industry is mining) but there doesn't appear to be any current economic activity whatsoever in that part of Labrador.

So it's more the latter.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

fishmech posted:

Going by the World Population Density Map (which seems to be pretty precise) and Google Maps there seems to be lots and lots of absolutely nothing. Quebec's claim possibly includes small parts of the Route 510 Highway, but I can't imagine that that would play any role whatsoever. Also all of Labrador's mines are in the mountaineous west and north, whereas this region doesn't seem to have anything regarding natural resources as well.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

You should always push your borders as far as you can, on the off chance the territory becomes valuable in the future. Had our politicians realized that back in the decades following WW2, Norway might very well never had gotten its hands on all that oil.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.
It looks like a watershed issue too. Look at where those rivers begin.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Mystic_Shadow posted:

Sort of?

Apparently the Quebec-Labrador border was never well defined, at least as far as Quebec was concerned - "From Quebec’s point of view, Labrador existed only as a manifestation of fishing rights, but not much else — not unlike the French Shore — and should therefore not intrude inland more than, say, a mile."

So the current border is the combination of two things, arrived at by a (British) court in 1927. (How or why this was decided though, who knows.) - "In 1927, the Privy Council fixed Labrador’s inland border on the watershed (or the highest point of land) between the Atlantic Ocean and the Hudson Bay. It coupled this to the 1825 straight-line border, refining the definition to grant the town of Blanc-Sablon to Quebec."

Quebec was not happy but changed their complaint to that the watershed definition should continue to the east, I guess? Also the straight-line part was set by the 1825 Labrador Act where before Labrador (maybe) extended south to the Gulf of St. Lawrence (somewhere). The blog doesn't really say more and now I'm bored. :v:

Gleri
Mar 10, 2009

Mystic_Shadow posted:

If there's anything motivating Quebec's claims on Labrador, beyond pride, this is it. There are large hydroelectric developments on the Churchill River in Labrador that have long been a source of friction between the two provinces.

But, for the most part of all Northern Canada can be described as a vast, howling, uninhabited wilderness. You would think Quebec has enough tress and rocks to satisfy themselves but evidently not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Gleri posted:

If there's anything motivating Quebec's claims on Labrador, beyond pride, this is it. There are large hydroelectric developments on the Churchill River in Labrador that have long been a source of friction between the two provinces.

But, for the most part of all Northern Canada can be described as a vast, howling, uninhabited wilderness. You would think Quebec has enough tress and rocks to satisfy themselves but evidently not.

It's uninhabited now, but that may change in a few decades due to climate change. I assume the Canadian government owns most of it, but I'm sure private investors are looking to buy some as a long term investment.