Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

I've got a red robot problem

Where's the problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Midjack posted:

Where's the problem?

He doesn't have a Flauros Gundam for one, but that may be a case of waiting for a 1/100 version.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I'm really looking forward to assembling my own 1/100 Grimgerde. It's a great design, and looks like it'll have functionally perfect colour separation (plus cool gimmicks like the gun).

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
No love for char's gelgoog.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Just finished the Re100 Bawoo. It's really a surprisingly good kit but has the foibles you'd expect that transformation to have.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I'm kind of bummed about the lack of fancy new mono-eye suit models in general. Gimme an update of Cima's Gelgoog Marine and a new Rick Dom II.

I may have a soft spot for 0083 Zeon mobile suits.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Potential BFF posted:

I'm kind of bummed about the lack of fancy new mono-eye suit models in general. Gimme an update of Cima's Gelgoog Marine and a new Rick Dom II.

I may have a soft spot for 0083 Zeon mobile suits.

TBF almost all of the IBO suits are mono-eyes :v

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

muike posted:

Just finished the Re100 Bawoo. It's really a surprisingly good kit but has the foibles you'd expect that transformation to have.

Is the balance as awful as the promo one seemed to imply?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

BlitzBlast posted:

Is the balance as awful as the promo one seemed to imply?

It's funny you mention that. I would say no, but it's not a super posable kit. If you want to get anything more than a somewhat interesting "hangar" pose i'd really recommend using a stand anyway. plus come on, it turns into a "top and bottom nutter" :same:

My guess for all those test shots is worn out ankle mechanisms combined with a weirdly balanced backpack.

muike fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Dec 31, 2016

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Ive got a real megaboner for Geara Doga and Kshatriya.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

PaintVagrant posted:

Ive got a real megaboner for Geara Doga and Kshatriya.

There's apparently a company doing a 1/100 scale Metal Build style figure of the Kshatriya, if you want a 1/100 alternative that isn't a third party, fiddly as hell kit.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Zebulon posted:

There's apparently a company doing a 1/100 scale Metal Build style figure of the Kshatriya, if you want a 1/100 alternative that isn't a third party, fiddly as hell kit.

Googling those Elyn 1/100 kits, holy poo poo are they impressive looking. Looks like one bad move and the whole thing explodes like an expensive resin grenade though.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Funny that you mention that, considering ELYN rebranded itself a while back.

Now they're known as Mechanicore.

The same Mechanicore that makes the 1/100 MG+ Xi, Penelope, and Deep Striker I've been working on.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

The same Mechanicore that makes the 1/100 MG+ Xi, Penelope, and Deep Striker I've been working on.

You have my attention!

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

TBF almost all of the IBO suits are mono-eyes :v

But they're not the right kind! :bahgawd:

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Anything particularly exciting to do at Gundam front other than see the factory and big gundam?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

PaintVagrant posted:

Googling those Elyn 1/100 kits, holy poo poo are they impressive looking. Looks like one bad move and the whole thing explodes like an expensive resin grenade though.

The biggest issue with the Elyn Kshatriya is that they tried to do a runnerless gimmick but hosed up so incredibly hard with the QA that their rebranding may or may not have been to get away from all the bad publicity.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Anything particularly exciting to do at Gundam front other than see the factory and big gundam?

They've got literally every single Gunpla kit on display, if that floats your boat.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

They've got literally every single Gunpla kit on display, if that floats your boat.

Yeah definitely will do that and the factory tour. Probably got to assess partner tolerance for a ton more haha

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Didn't realize they were the same bunch. I have the Kshatriya with the LEDs and photoetch from the first run and yeah the runnerless thing was a bridge too far.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Midjack posted:

Didn't realize they were the same bunch. I have the Kshatriya with the LEDs and photoetch from the first run and yeah the runnerless thing was a bridge too far.

Yyyyeeeeah. Its a nice and impressive presentation, but its almost entirely wasted for a hundreds-of-dollars kit, since nobody who cant handle sprue cutting would even know they exist, let alone be buying the kit.

Would be neat to see Bandai try out a new line of Advanced grade for a show people actually like with that presentation though. Could make it more suitable for foreign retail if Bobby Smith doesnt need a hobby knife and clippers to assemble.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Dec 31, 2016

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Has Elyncore at least improved upon the Kshatriya's grainy, melty molding quality? 'Cause that poo poo was pretty shameful.

I'm probably gonna spring for the DevilArts Providence, and am wondering if I should pick up a spare. Do these third party kits have any sort of sales longevity, or is it one-run-and-done?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bimmi posted:

Has Elyncore at least improved upon the Kshatriya's grainy, melty molding quality? 'Cause that poo poo was pretty shameful.

I'm probably gonna spring for the DevilArts Providence, and am wondering if I should pick up a spare. Do these third party kits have any sort of sales longevity, or is it one-run-and-done?

Most third party Gunpla do get multiple production runs, but seeing as DevilArts is a new kid on the block you might want to play it safe if you're worried about missing out.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I broke down and had to get the Providence. I just love the stout and squat little suit too much. Still gonna see if I can't make that backpack into a shield without the back looking terrible. Generally third party guys will do maybe one more run but generally their runs are limited to the diehards. They don't exactly go for much more then they came out for on sites like ebay though.

And Mechanicore does still have the very matte sort of plastic compared to Bandai's exceptionally polished and shiny molds but I consider that a mark in their favor honestly. I like the rougher grain and flatter finish, it gives it a very nice profile under light rather than all shiny all the time like Bandai's stuff is out of the box.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Neurolimal posted:

Would be neat to see Bandai try out a new line of Advanced grade for a show people actually like with that presentation though. Could make it more suitable for foreign retail if Bobby Smith doesnt need a hobby knife and clippers to assemble.

That's what the HG Hi-Mock's for. Simple, cheap as hell, and really well made.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

TaurusOxford posted:

Most third party Gunpla do get multiple production runs, but seeing as DevilArts is a new kid on the block you might want to play it safe if you're worried about missing out.

Do these things appreciate in value at all? I guess I really have no reason to get an extra, but old habits die hard.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

And Mechanicore does still have the very matte sort of plastic compared to Bandai's exceptionally polished and shiny molds but I consider that a mark in their favor honestly. I like the rougher grain and flatter finish, it gives it a very nice profile under light rather than all shiny all the time like Bandai's stuff is out of the box.

Matte is fine, but the Kshatriya had a pronounced orange-peel texture straight out of the mold and that is just not okay.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

rincewind101 posted:

Heyo. New to the gunpla business but I desperately want this guy. The end of December Sky got me hyped on the idea of having one.

I've only found this model listed here... and it seems hella sold out :(
No dice on ebay, either. Am I dumb?

Man, I'd kill to get a new version of this kit and also all the other ones in Thunderbolt

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

PaintVagrant posted:

I've got a red robot problem

two outta four ain't bad

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Midjack posted:

Where's the problem?

Missing one:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Hell yeah :respek:

floatman
Mar 17, 2009

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Gundam front is closing soon next year. March?

Here's what it has to offer:
Visit the big gundam below. It gets lighted up at night. There's a small gift shop selling grand front Tokyo (GFT) limited kits and gundam cafe merchandise. You can get all these things upstairs too.

Go upstairs. Like, all the way upstairs, for the actual gundam things. There's a paid area, and a free area. Buy tickets for the paid area. You'll receive a really small 1/144 gundam head. The counter person will start to explain things to you. Ask for the English explanation.
In the paid area, there's a projection dome. You can be surrounded by gundam as a short roughly about 8 minutes film plays. There are three films in total. You can watch one, exit, then wait 5 mins, then watch the next one. Repeat till all films are done.
Other things to do in the paid area are to take a picture in the strike freedom cockpit, and look at a mini injection machine making mini gundam heads.
There may be a "make a gundam" session. You can take some starter gundam kit home once you've completed it. There will be a massive queue, so maybe don't bother and let the small kids enjoy.
After which, there will be the shop. Unfortunately, there may not be literally every kit available, and it is not tax free. If you're buying standard kits, other places offer more value. But feel free to go hog while on the limited edition GFT kits.

Hope you enjoy your robots. Do not that the location is kinda touristy so the food court below is slightly expensive. Do consider visiting Tokyo skytree as you'll be kinda close to there already. Buy Tokyo banana from skytree.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Don't forget the nearby Gundam cafe! It has a trailer nearby too with more gunpla stuff.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

floatman posted:

Gundam front is closing soon next year. March?

Here's what it has to offer:
Visit the big gundam below. It gets lighted up at night. There's a small gift shop selling grand front Tokyo (GFT) limited kits and gundam cafe merchandise. You can get all these things upstairs too.

Go upstairs. Like, all the way upstairs, for the actual gundam things. There's a paid area, and a free area. Buy tickets for the paid area. You'll receive a really small 1/144 gundam head. The counter person will start to explain things to you. Ask for the English explanation.
In the paid area, there's a projection dome. You can be surrounded by gundam as a short roughly about 8 minutes film plays. There are three films in total. You can watch one, exit, then wait 5 mins, then watch the next one. Repeat till all films are done.
Other things to do in the paid area are to take a picture in the strike freedom cockpit, and look at a mini injection machine making mini gundam heads.
There may be a "make a gundam" session. You can take some starter gundam kit home once you've completed it. There will be a massive queue, so maybe don't bother and let the small kids enjoy.
After which, there will be the shop. Unfortunately, there may not be literally every kit available, and it is not tax free. If you're buying standard kits, other places offer more value. But feel free to go hog while on the limited edition GFT kits.

Hope you enjoy your robots. Do not that the location is kinda touristy so the food court below is slightly expensive. Do consider visiting Tokyo skytree as you'll be kinda close to there already. Buy Tokyo banana from skytree.

Thanks for the tip - just one thing isn't Tokyo sky tree the broadcast tower that's ~40 mins on the subway away?

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
Seeing the Tokyo Skytree is neat but definitely not worth paying to go to the top. The view is really really restricted, expensive and depending on the time of day the line is very long.

My favorite place to shop for gunpla in Tokyo was the Yodibashi Camera just right by the Ikebukuro train station. It has an enormous selection, good prices, neat displays and nowhere near as busy as the Bic Camera in Akihabara.

Also just by the Gundam Front is a very gimmicky but neat Sega arcade called Diver City that has insane arcade machines.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Old Swerdlow posted:

Seeing the Tokyo Skytree is neat but definitely not worth paying to go to the top. The view is really really restricted, expensive and depending on the time of day the line is very long.

My favorite place to shop for gunpla in Tokyo was the Yodibashi Camera just right by the Ikebukuro train station. It has an enormous selection, good prices, neat displays and nowhere near as busy as the Bic Camera in Akihabara.

Also just by the Gundam Front is a very gimmicky but neat Sega arcade called Diver City that has insane arcade machines.

Long shot - I might go ask in that thread to but do the goons with Tokyo experience know where the best place to go to pick up some one punch man gear might be? I figure walk around Akihabara is a plan but a specific location is good too

floatman
Mar 17, 2009

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Thanks for the tip - just one thing isn't Tokyo sky tree the broadcast tower that's ~40 mins on the subway away?

Whoops. True that.
Anyway Tokyo skytree is great for buying souvenirs to bring back home, like Tokyo banana skytree edition, but horrible to go up and see.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Long shot - I might go ask in that thread to but do the goons with Tokyo experience know where the best place to go to pick up some one punch man gear might be? I figure walk around Akihabara is a plan but a specific location is good too

When I was in Tokyo last December there was not a whole lot of OPM merchandise to buy unless you really want random stationary and plastic folders. My best guess would be to check out any of the ANIMATE's in the city or any odd otaku fandom store.

Nakano Broadway is an awesome place to shop at if you want second figures, gashapon and any of those sorts of items. For "used" gunpla, the place I had the most luck was the Mandarake in Shibuya; there is also a really neat used toystore near the Gundam Cafe in Akihabara but I cannot remember the name or exact location of it as I just stumbled upon it while exploring.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Old Swerdlow posted:

Yodobashi Camera is an amazing, gigantic sensory assault of a place that anyone interested in anything vaguely nerdy should visit. Oddly enough, though, neither it nor Gundam Front Tokyo had the MG Turn X, which I had to get from this weird, temple-like underground store in Hiroshima. Which was... kind of appropriate, really.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Has anyone here built a MG Geara Doga? I've got the older style 1/144 in my backlog, not sure what "grade" it is, I think its a reprint of the original kit and is probably not very modern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

What do you want to know about it? I don't have it in front of me but it's a modern top tier kit, pretty similar to the Zaku 2.0, you won't find much better aside from stuff they put special effort into like the Nu/Sazabi Ka's.