Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

To be honest I'd settle for titles and other prestigious honors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

To be honest I'd settle for titles and other prestigious honors

Your wish shall be granted Lord Phlegmish, first of his name, the King of the Goons, and Duke of Gamesia.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I set my Paradox forums account up so that the only 'I own this game' flair it displays is Sunset Invasion. :c00l:

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
DDRJake did a similar thing...

That's the icon for Ship Simulator Extreme. According to him, the best game we've ever done.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Almost as good as his twitter account.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I'm not sure how much people around these parts would enjoy it, but the Vic2 to HoI4 converter has just been updated to support 1.3 (and make a lot of other stuff better). You can get it on the Paradox forums or on Steam Workshop.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What's the current situation with eu4 to vic2 conversion? Or CK2 to EU4.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Baronjutter posted:

What's the current situation with eu4 to vic2 conversion? Or CK2 to EU4.

I'll be out of town for the holidays, but once back I plan to focus on fixing EU4 to Vic2 for 1.19. I haven't done a converter for CK2 to EU4, so the official one is best. They did some major work on it last round of updates, so I'd guess it's good now (though I haven't tried in ages).

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Any goons planning on going to Paradox Con 2017? Here is a link with some information --> https://www.paradoxplaza.com/news/PDXCON-2017/

I am really interested in going myself, I think it would be a lot of fun! Can some of the Stockholm dwellers and devs that post here tell me how difficult it would be to get around if I didn't want to rent a car? I imagine Stockholm must be commuter/taxi friendly? How difficult will it be to get around with no knowledge of the Swedish language?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Stockholm has a metro covering most of the city and like 90% of the country speaks English. (Plus most of those who don't will probably be in rural areas.) I went like 15 years ago and I'm pretty sure I could've made my way round solo despite literally being 11 years old v:shobon:v

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Any goons planning on going to Paradox Con 2017? Here is a link with some information --> https://www.paradoxplaza.com/news/PDXCON-2017/
Yeah, I snatched up a ticket early on, and I know a few other goons are definitely planning on it at this point.

e: Also there is a standing group of Stockholm goons who are just goons and not necessarily Paradox fanboys. They're good people to chill with too when you're out there.

quote:

I am really interested in going myself, I think it would be a lot of fun! Can some of the Stockholm dwellers and devs that post here tell me how difficult it would be to get around if I didn't want to rent a car? I imagine Stockholm must be commuter/taxi friendly? How difficult will it be to get around with no knowledge of the Swedish language?
I went there earlier this year around the same season as next year's con, and also went there last year. It's a nice city.

Stockholm has a solid, solid public transit system, based largely around a metros. If you can, get an SL access card as soon as you can. It's an easy-swipe card that works for all public transit, including the city's public ferries.

There's absolutely no need to worry about learning Swedish. Eurovision was hosted there this year. They can handle English-speakers.

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Dec 24, 2016

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Ofaloaf posted:

There's absolutely no need to worry about learning Swedish. Eurovision was hosted there this year. They can handle English-speakers.
Though be aware that they use political terminology apparently randomly.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Yeah, I'm going. We've got a discord group for Paradox LPs where a few of us are planning on going to pdxcon, feel free to join there if you are a goon that reads or writes paradox LPs or plans on going to pdxcon.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I'm probs gonna be working like a motherfucker then. Haven't been to Sverige in a while though; might be worth a gander and visitin' my family in Norway afterwards

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

You guys should totally come and tell me to my face how Tanks are not waste of metal. :colbert:

Traveling the city with metro, buses etc is really good and the recommended way, Taxi can get really expensive in Stockholm especially if you compare to prices abroad. (paid approx $100 to get home once, got scammed when drunk :( ). So I recommend you stay with the trains, metros and buses.

When it comes to language, when you come be prepared that we will indoctrinate you into what Lagom and Fika is, but otherwise you will be fine.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Dec 24, 2016

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Though be aware that they use political terminology apparently randomly.

So there I was in Stockholm, minding my own business in a cafe. Suddenly, a seven foot giant of a Swede bursts through the door and screams, "Property is theft!"

I said to him, "No no, my good man, I paid at the till. And in any case, it's got sugar in it."

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
What manner of sucka cant at least manage a good HELVETE

Tho I can imagine they look of horror if I justkept usin Finlandsvenska

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Autonomous Monster posted:

So there I was in Stockholm, minding my own business in a cafe. Suddenly, a seven foot giant of a Swede bursts through the door and screams, "Property is theft!"

I said to him, "No no, my good man, I paid at the till. And in any case, it's got sugar in it."

Don't doxx me.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I also am very cheap and cant justify 70€ on top of hotel/flight

Is it possible to pay part of the price in booze/Icelandic fish products?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Allyn posted:

Stockholm has a metro covering most of the city and like 90% of the country speaks English. (Plus most of those who don't will probably be in rural areas.) I went like 15 years ago and I'm pretty sure I could've made my way round solo despite literally being 11 years old v:shobon:v

Also, download Citymapper
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/citymapper-ultimate-transit/id469463298?mt=8
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.citymapper.app.release&hl=en

it'll give you like 10 different routes to take to get to your destination and tell you when to get off the bus/metro.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ty1QpyX0po

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Yay I am featured! :D

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I spent too long trying to figure out flights and arrangements and now all the Golden tickets are sold out :negative:

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I spent too long trying to figure out flights and arrangements and now all the Golden tickets are sold out :negative:

I lucked out and they either put some more on sale, or some folks had to cancel their plans! I am very excited! I am planning to go to the Vasa museum while in town, it looks really neat!

Are there any Swedish social/cultural norms I should be aware of so I don't accidentally insult anyone or make them feel uncomfortable?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Are there any Swedish social/cultural norms I should be aware of so I don't accidentally insult anyone or make them feel uncomfortable?
Social norms in the Nordic Countries are best explained by the ancient Viking saying "If I can hit you with my spear, you're getting too near."

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
The Swedes are a modest and polite people, you'll be fine. Just don't be overly chummy, that's always very uncomfortable.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Social norms in the Nordic Countries are best explained by the ancient Viking saying "If I can hit you with my spear, you're getting too near."

I am spear averse, hopefully the amount of real spears in Sweden is limited these days?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

YF-23 posted:

Yeah, I'm going. We've got a discord group for Paradox LPs where a few of us are planning on going to pdxcon, feel free to join there if you are a goon that reads or writes paradox LPs or plans on going to pdxcon.

I have never used discord before, and it seems a little scary and overwhelming! :ohdear:

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Deceitful Penguin posted:

The Swedes are a modest and polite people, you'll be fine. Just don't be overly chummy, that's always very uncomfortable.

Pretty much this, unless it is someone you don't know well but you are having a beer together. Then Swedes usually open up. Also if you join the Discord I am trying to organize together who is coming and a place for us to drink together. Will also see how many devs I can recruit for this purpose. Though placement will be limited just fyi and I will prioritize people I know.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Not going to this con or whatever but I was in Stockholm briefly last month, here are some random tips for goons:

- Swedes are nice/chill, but less outgoing than Americans.
- When beer was involved people seemed very friendly and outgoing
- I got a few beers at this place called Katarina Olkafe and really enjoyed the selection and vibe. I think it's near Paradox HQ, which I googled the location of but did not try and stop by.
- Get a kebab pizza.
- The Vasa Museum owns.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

Bold Robot posted:

Not going to this con or whatever but I was in Stockholm briefly last month, here are some random tips for goons: .
- Get a kebab pizza.

This, it's great, but buy the kebab special If you get the chance. Also always take the hot kebab sauce.

And can someone ask some paradox person why the hell they dont use kickstarter? like at all? or am I wrong? I want Victoria 3 and I am willing to pay.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Swedes can be summed up like this

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Zombiepop posted:

This, it's great, but buy the kebab special If you get the chance. Also always take the hot kebab sauce.

And can someone ask some paradox person why the hell they dont use kickstarter? like at all? or am I wrong? I want Victoria 3 and I am willing to pay.

From what i understand, Vicky 3 will be financed using the Star Citizen model, i.e. pay 100 bucks extra to get a special Kaiser-class dreadnought when the game releases.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

ArchangeI posted:

From what i understand, Vicky 3 will be financed using the Star Citizen model, i.e. pay 100 bucks extra to get a special Kaiser-class dreadnought when the game releases.

This would make Paradox so much drat money from all the Wehraboos

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

ArchangeI posted:

:homebrew:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Enjoy posted:

This would make Paradox so much drat money from all the Wehraboos

I always assumed all the Germany fetishists are playing Hearts of Iron or Matrix games.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Star posted:

Swedes can be summed up like this

The Nordic has emotions, they are just to subtle for the outsider to comprehend

then again, I'm from the loud and obvious branch of the family, so what do i know?

GrossMurpel posted:

I always assumed all the Germany fetishists are playing Hearts of Iron or Matrix games.
Prussia my man. They all want to top Bismarck

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Here is some livestream of the PDX's newest title! Starts about 6:45

https://www.twitch.tv/wizzington/v/110990419

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Player character is Christina I of Sweden, sold already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

IncredibleIgloo posted:

are we down the rabbit hole enough that its "funny" to quasi-lampoon borderline hentai games or