Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Star Citizen: it will never be Turing complete

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
Relax guys. Croberts is gonna whip up anti-cheat 1.0 this weekend. It's all good. I mean he fixed their patcher basically overnight when he learned it can't do delta patching.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

cool new Polack jokes posted:

Oh I just got it :laugh:

:ssh:It's loss.jpeg

:psyboom:

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice

Can't believe I didn't get this one at first. Now of course I can't not see it, sort of like the Fed Ex arrow.

Touche Strangelove

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Rad Russian posted:

Relax guys. Croberts is gonna whip up anti-cheat 1.0 this weekend. It's all good. I mean he fixed their patcher basically overnight when he learned it can't do delta patching.

What do you mean? THAT WAS HIM WALLHACKING! Why do you think the name was blurred out.

He said in that post on Christmas day he would be playing some Star Marine.

You don't think he is the kind of guy who would pull a fast one to get what he wants without really putting the work in?

That's exactly the kind of fun him and Sandi would have with the backers, it's as she said, they will never know.

And we know they love to post videos more than make games.

Totally Chris hacking, Derek said so in his July Blog.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
CIG should get in on this hacking action, there's a good mint to be made. And no one could do better hacks than them, right? Right? :laffo:

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf

MeLKoR posted:

CIG should get in on this hacking action, there's a good mint to be made. And no one could do better hacks than them, right? Right? :laffo:

...and that was how they accidentally fixed their poo poo game. The End.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
Im tired of Star Citizen and making fun of it

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

CIG will probably sell anti-hack insurance for $130, or a "gold" package for $280

You're supporting anti-hack development

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

BeefThief posted:

CIG will probably sell anti-hack insurance for $130, or a "gold" package for $280

You're supporting anti-hack development

Purchasable in-game anti-hack scanner that triangulates ingame-cheaters and makes any kill by a non-cheating player a perma bann (with forum batch).

Fits the Star Citizen Life Slice Simulator narrative, fuels the white knights and earns the big bucks... (also free lifetime paranoia)

sorla78 fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 31, 2016

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Kakarot posted:

Im tired of Star Citizen and making fun of it

You're doing it wrong then.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Raskolnikov posted:

I don't get the appeal of cheating / griefing people outside of the game's established rules. Anyone can throw a chess board at their opponent. Even that is more understandable than cheating online because at least you're doing something and usually held accountable to some degree.

As soon as I cheat in a game I lose all interest in it.
To troll. In a competitive game people get unreasonably angry that you're disrupting them/they can't compete, and they will expend a lot of energy trying to shout you out of a match - a lot more energy than you're spending playing the game, and more energy than it would take to just go find another game or walk away from the computer. These days they will even do it on camera for free.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Re : discussing Chris, Sandi, Ben's personal lives.

They're running a confidence scam; taking millions of dollars from vulnerable people. A big part of their success has been down to presenting themselves as successful, high flying rich people who don't really need your money to succeed (but give us money).

Anything that breaks that illusion and shows them as the scum they really are is good and right. If it helps even one person to reevaluate their position then we're made a difference.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Spermanent Record posted:

They're running a confidence scam; taking millions of dollars from vulnerable people. A big part of their success has been down to presenting themselves as successful, high flying rich people who don't really need your money to succeed (but give us money).

Anything that breaks that illusion and shows them as the scum they really are is good and right. If it helps even one person to reevaluate their position then we're made a difference.

Sounds like just more doxxing apologism to me! I'm calling the FYAD morality police. :colbert:

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Spermanent Record posted:

It's just the guiding hand of the market at work. You shouldn't be so concerned about ethics in crowd-funding.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

TheAgent posted:

holy poo poo

so that wtfosaurus vid where he watches the wallhax thing

he goes and tries to test it to see if bullets go through walls

they do

bullets register hitting your target through walls but do no damage

the guy getting hit flinches and everything

wtf

https://www.twitch.tv/wtfosaurus/v/110929975?t=02h05m06s

Somewhere a backer is explaining this is how it's supposed to be because Star Marine is a 'game within a game'

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

D_Smart posted:

:perfect:

ps: I'm looking for a crew members for my Caterpillar.

I'll join your crew, friend. I'll mop your floors, but don't be upset if the head of my mop doesn't actually touch the floor. My fidelity isn't so good. :3:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

DapperDon posted:

My best friend passed away Christmas eve. Went to the open casket service last nite. 2016 has been a monster. I haven't slept or eaten right in days. Glad to have this place and you guys to get my mind off of things. :negative:.

Sorry to hear that, friend. My condolences. :(

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

[-] 107 upvotes
The question isn't how he's doing it, it's why - and I think we can all agree that this kind of behavior says a lot more about the streamer's morality than about CIG's coding.

Looking forward to CIGs MMO game where hacking is possible but frowned upon by a community of honorable players, so it is not done because honor and morality.

:brnsndcstl:: "I could have shot you through the wall because CIG doesn't know how to develop walls, but I did not, because then I would need to fall upon the purple blade of my 'nearly battle ready' mall katana."

:letsplay:: "Thank you, honored player. I look forward to crossing our gunfire again in the future, at our next pre-arranged location and through many hours of role play."

[An excerpt of a future log between gallant Star Citizens duking it out in a far away derelict space ship]

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

The Titanic posted:

Looking forward to CIGs MMO game where hacking is possible but frowned upon by a community of honorable players, so it is not done because honor and morality.

:brnsndcstl:: "I could have shot you through the wall because CIG doesn't know how to develop walls, but I did not, because then I would need to fall upon the purple blade of my 'nearly battle ready' mall katana."

:letsplay:: "Thank you, honored player. I look forward to crossing our gunfire again in the future, at our next pre-arranged location and through many hours of role play plundering, murdering and raping (once they get the mechanics in-game)."

[An excerpt of a future log between gallant Star Citizens duking it out in a far away derelict space ship]

Fixed for Shitizen clarity

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

ewe2 posted:

Star Citizen: it will never be Turing complete

Of course not. If it could be, that would mean no more fancy coffee!

Of course, I am sure Alan's corpse twitches in agony every time there is any connection between him and CIG.

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Dec 31, 2016

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

I doubt CIG is even capable of stopping any of that hacking. It seems they're having enough problems as it is with just basic functionality, and their network and server code is just barely held together.

I'd bet anyone can use hacks and cheats with complete impunity, as long as they don't show their identity on any recordings they post of themselves.

Normally, I'd be worried about being caught in some kind of server log, but I'd cheat this poo poo all day long without the slightest concern.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

XK posted:

I doubt CIG is even capable of stopping any of that hacking. It seems they're having enough problems as it is with just basic functionality, and their network and server code is just barely held together.

I'd bet anyone can use hacks and cheats with complete impunity, as long as they don't show their identity on any recordings they post of themselves.

Normally, I'd be worried about being caught in some kind of server log, but I'd cheat this poo poo all day long without the slightest concern.

I want to see CIG ban someone for cheating in their pre-alpha tech demo.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Why not? They've banned us (goons) for even dumber reasons.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

spacetoaster posted:

Especially since, as the wallhack ad suggests, it's cheaper than buying ships from CIG. Can't let that kind of competition stick around.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Tippis posted:

Especially since, as the wallhack ad suggests, it's cheaper than buying ships from CIG. Can't let that kind of competition stick around.

Yeah. Chris is probably registering the site "www.starcitizenhax.com" tonight so he can cash in.

But he'll forget to buy the anonymous protection so we'll all see that he's making money off the hacks for his own game.

On a separate note: If any of you have a PS4 VR there's a free mini game associated with the new CoD. It's fun the first time, but what is really cool is once you've completed it you're just floating in space above the Earth. It's just a really cool experience that I hope we get more of in the future.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

spacetoaster posted:

CIG has banned people from their forums. I have never heard of them banning someone from their game, with the exception of Derek and his refund.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

CIG has banned people from their forums. I have never heard of them banning someone from their game, with the exception of Derek and his refund.

Oh. Yeah. Since my ban I uninstalled and haven't "played" again.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

hahahaha remember in chris' letter to the escapist he wrote that sandi cant be racist, she hired two black people

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The same way they detect criminal actions in the game, so basically everyone will get banned regardless.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Can someone who has access to this pile of poo poo check and see if you can shoot through walls normally or if that's also a hack

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Propagandist posted:

Can someone who has access to this pile of poo poo check and see if you can shoot through walls normally or if that's also a hack
Did anyone say Croberts is a hack yet

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

The Titanic posted:

I'll join your crew, friend. I'll mop your floors, but don't be upset if the head of my mop doesn't actually touch the floor. My fidelity isn't so good. :3:

Something something you don't need more water on your deck

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Propagandist posted:

wtfsaurus did and what he found was you could but damage wasn't received. Which is somehow even more hosed up than a straight yes or no.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

wtfsaurus did and what he found was you could but damage wasn't received. Which is somehow even more hosed up than a straight yes or no.

I'm sure LumberJack or whatever will sort that out

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

that is... hilarious

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
If they can't even make their FPS not trust the client I can't wait to see what's possible in the PU if anyone ever cares enough to try to cheat in it.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

Ghostlight posted:

realistically simulated bullet physics: the obvious CIG solution is to slow down bullet speeds, brings combat closer and allows people to admire the models, combat will also feel more vicious, like medieval sword combat.

sorla78 fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Dec 31, 2016

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

Ghostlight posted:

I love that wtfosaurus is a shill (+/-) and is digging CIG's grave for them by bringing to light all of this hilarity; it's icing on the cake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
I also have on good authority wtfosaurus is super butt hurty about us making fun of him here

e: smartdoge tax