Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Ammanas posted:

So uh in the lore do chaos warriors and forsaken and poo poo not eat food? Cuz who grows crops and stuff for these huge armies if they're destroying everything

The hell is the chaos endgame? Nothingness isn't very chaotic

Chaos warriors and up do not need to eat/drink and cannot remove their armor at all. They subsist off of Chaos energies at this point (also why they're far larger than normal humans at this point) and exist only to fight for Chaos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ammanas posted:

I never understood this either. Why do they want to destroy the world and the forces of order wouldn't it make sense for the chaos gods to foment both massive conflict and an ultimate win for Order so theres another fight one day and they can gleefully torture the dudes who failed? Destroying the Old World only makes sense if its a part of a larger conflict across a whole lot of planets.

Like, their endgame should be NO endgame. I suppose that chaos wants to kill everyone else so they can have eternal conflict among each of the gods on their own particular hellscapes and they just band together for now so they can get to the chaos infighting sooner?

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

World gets sucked into the warp, becomes a daemon world. Anyway, Chaos bros aren't fighting for that specifically, they're fighting to be elevated to daemonhood themselves. They just want to do what it takes to get turned into an immortal super-monster. The goals of the Chaos gods are incidental, just ways they curry favour and get closer to ascension.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
My understanding is that they spend a few millennia tormenting mortals until they get bored, destroy the universe and then start from scratch. Some of the heroes from the old world get to be the gods of the new.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Chaos gods didn't create life in the fiction, and necessarily developed after sentient life did, because they are the immaterial coalescence of various thoughts and emotions felt by sentient species. Chaos gods exist to exist. They are sentient but they are just ideas, like warfare or hedonism, given intelligence. All they want is to spread their ideals to as many sentient races as possible, and break down the barrier between the material and immaterial realms to better accomplish this task.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Anyone playing as welfs find it impossible to have positive diplomatic relations with non-welf factions?

More accurately I've spent most of the game on fantastic terms with the Empire, including research of their diplomacy tech, and they won't even grant me a non-aggression pact under any circumstances. Same with any faction (Nordland, Middenland) I'm on friendly terms with. Are foreign relations like that tied to some tier of Oak of Ages growth that it's not telling me about? I didn't have this issue in the mini-campaign.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Deified Data posted:

Anyone playing as welfs find it impossible to have positive diplomatic relations with non-welf factions?

More accurately I've spent most of the game on fantastic terms with the Empire, including research of their diplomacy tech, and they won't even grant me a non-aggression pact under any circumstances. Same with any faction (Nordland, Middenland) I'm on friendly terms with. Are foreign relations like that tied to some tier of Oak of Ages growth that it's not telling me about? I didn't have this issue in the mini-campaign.

Who cares, destroy them all with your mega-powerful armies of elf & treekin doom

Just lol at spending time doing diplomacy. Giving bribes to factions is money you should be spending on troops or buildings

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
chaos isnt chaotic in the "opposed to lawful" or "connected to the idea of entropy / disorder / whatever metaphysical concept" sense. they're chaos as in Bad, Evil, Ungood way, where they will commit the most morally bad act possible no matter the situation or possible consequences because CHAOS. things inexplicably work out for them anyways because they got equally dickbag micromanaging gods on their side.

people turn to chaos not so much due to ideology but because they read a bad book and grew a tentacle and decided to be a jerk now because octopuses are nasty things. its ~corruption~ rather than anything to do with actual character motives (in AoS some chaos dudes get cured of corruption somehow and become good guys again because AoS is stupid)

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Yeah, it's not like the welfs exactly need the help, but I haven't noticed the AI being so stingy with other factions, even without diplomacy-boosting techs. Just wondering if it's a bug or some mod conflict.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I successfully made friends with the surviving Bretonnian minor factions somehow to the point that they eventually offered me military alliances which I took for the amber.

This predictably resulted in my being dragged into a war, but it was against the Bretonnians proper so I just wiped them out and as a result hold all of that territory except for three of the castle settlements. One is Karl Franz's emergency backup lair, the other two are my pet Frogs.

Anyway, I'm not sure how I'd replicate this in another campaign, but it's anecdotally possible to be on good terms with AI factions.

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths
Does anyone have a spare Grimbrondal code they'd be willing to send my way?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

8bitlawd posted:

Does anyone have a spare Grimbrondal code they'd be willing to send my way?

can you still get them at GW or is the promo over?

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths
Ends on Jan 3rd or till supplies last, but supplies didn't last long at my local store.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

When does Grom go live for us normies who don't live near a GW store?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Gonkish posted:

When does Grom go live for us normies who don't live near a GW store?

Jan 3rd, probably.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Deified Data posted:

Yeah, it's not like the welfs exactly need the help, but I haven't noticed the AI being so stingy with other factions, even without diplomacy-boosting techs. Just wondering if it's a bug or some mod conflict.

Yeah I was like +200 with Dwarfs at one point in my Orion campaign and they would not ally me for love nor money. In the end I said gently caress it and conquered the 12 amber I needed to win the game, but it was a shame to get nothing out of all the diplo stuff.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011

Corrode posted:

Yeah I was like +200 with Dwarfs at one point in my Orion campaign and they would not ally me for love nor money. In the end I said gently caress it and conquered the 12 amber I needed to win the game, but it was a shame to get nothing out of all the diplo stuff.

I think know one will do any sort of diplomacy with you if you have an "unreliable" reputation, no matter how high their affinity. So that might be it.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Diplomacy in the TW games is always a mixed bag, but I've had success in getting what I want from the AI. Usually have to pay them a lot but once you've got things on paper, they're more reliable than not.

If you wanna see an AI that hates you, you need to play Medieval 2 TW. They actually hosed up when writing the diplomacy AI due to improperly commented out code. I also heard that there's code that results in an AI attacking you if you're not at war, regardless of how suicidal or counterproductive said war would be, and that there wasn't much coordination between the diplo AI and the strategic AI, resulting in a centuries long alliance being broken because the military AI decided to blockade a port of yours for no reason.

In Napoleon I actually was super impressed when, in the coalition campaign as Russia, France went ahead and accepted a full blown military alliance despite having been at war with me and having lost some minor territory. They hated the poo poo out of me due to having been at war with me since forever(their opinion was around -300 or some poo poo), but it was strategically the best possible move for them since the rest of their enemies got backstabbed by their strongest foe, leaving them in a much more secure position. I was very surprised they actually took me up on the offer, since I'd figured the AI only really cared about opinion values when making decisions, but evidently there's something in there that recognizes when its got a good deal.

Warhammer AI has been pretty sensible as well. There's a few hard asses, but usually pretty eager (sometimes annoyingly so) to white peace out of a conflict when they're losing or when they've already sacked your poo poo and run off (which is helpful when some rear end in a top hat dawi decides to declare war on your other flank). The problem is that they really don't clue in when they've gotta start offering fat stacks of cash for peace until there's not much point on cutting any deal with them as opposed to wiping them out, and they're often too broke to offer much anyways. They don't accept vassalization much either no matter what the circumstances are, go figure.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Does anyone have any advice for defending sieges as the vampires? I'm pretty new to Total War (I played Rome 1 when I was ten or whatever but that's it), and not being able to just stuff the walls with archers is throwing me off.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Use zombies to stall siege towers, letting your walls get some extra shots in.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Deified Data posted:

What difficulty are you playing on? On hard this is the opposite of my experiences.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Warhammer AI has been pretty sensible as well. There's a few hard asses, but usually pretty eager (sometimes annoyingly so) to white peace out of a conflict when they're losing or when they've already sacked your poo poo and run off (which is helpful when some rear end in a top hat dawi decides to declare war on your other flank). The problem is that they really don't clue in when they've gotta start offering fat stacks of cash for peace until there's not much point on cutting any deal with them as opposed to wiping them out, and they're often too broke to offer much anyways. They don't accept vassalization much either no matter what the circumstances are, go figure.

I find the AI has pretty consistently been open to peace treatys and a chunk of cash to go with them if I beat whatever armies they sent my way, which is usually handy when dealing with every neighbor trying to get a piece of your territory.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

So I know this is a HeirofCarthage video and he's not looked at very kindly here but the replay he's commenting on here is really loving neat. It starts as almost the perfect Sum Of All Fears people had regarding WElfs in multi before launch (certainly in the vs. Dwarf matchup) and even though the Dwarf player wanted to ragequit a few minutes in he pulls it around. Very loving satisfying, to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1uQQ2yilVg

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Speaking of which, is there any non-annoying person doing decent battle/campaign commentary of the game?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Fat Samurai posted:

Speaking of which, is there any non-annoying person doing decent battle/campaign commentary of the game?

Turin.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Heir of Carthage isn't bad. He might not be the best player but what he says is generally correct and if he makes a mistake in one video he'll often comment on it in another and admit his mistake. He's also not an rear end in a top hat to anyone or even gets that mad when people do stuff to annoy him.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Fat Samurai posted:

Speaking of which, is there any non-annoying person doing decent battle/campaign commentary of the game youtube videos?

No

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Another dumb question. I've almost defeated an enemy, but they've got one army left that won't loving die. In fact, it's not an army at all, just one general nothing else. He keeps attacking me and then after the battle he gets to retreat 20 feet back and stand there. I thought maybe auto-resolving it was letting him survive so I played it myself, got a message that "the enemy lord has been killed" but no, after the battle he's just standing right next to my settlement, ready to attack again and hold up movement and production for my main lord.

Is this intended behaviour, that he'll just survive endlessly? He's taking very, very slow attrition damage since there's nothing left of his faction, but at this rate it's going to be ten turns until the fucker dies, and I'm honestly not convinced that will do it.

edit: wait, no, he's not taking attrition damage because he gets more health back every time he pointlessly throws himself at my walls and wastes another of my turns. Sometimes he raises a single squad of zombies though! My assassination chance is pretty low, is it possible to savescum until that succeeds?

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 30, 2016

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ive seen it before and they never die unless you bring an army out there, that kills him. settlements cant finish the job for some reason

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Deformed Church posted:

Another dumb question. I've almost defeated an enemy, but they've got one army left that won't loving die. In fact, it's not an army at all, just one general nothing else. He keeps attacking me and then after the battle he gets to retreat 20 feet back and stand there. I thought maybe auto-resolving it was letting him survive so I played it myself, got a message that "the enemy lord has been killed" but no, after the battle he's just standing right next to my settlement, ready to attack again and hold up movement and production for my main lord.

Is this intended behaviour, that he'll just survive endlessly? He's taking very, very slow attrition damage since there's nothing left of his faction, but at this rate it's going to be ten turns until the fucker dies, and I'm honestly not convinced that will do it.

I've had this happen once. After the third or fourth time I autoresolved him he finally died.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Their 10+ year old code that handled armies getting fully defeated picked up some bugs and no one knows how to fix it.

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord
Too much goddamn sass

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Okay yeah so it's basically someone else's version of the problem I'm used to with Bethesda games. Of course, about two turns after I made that post, he decided to die in an autoresolve.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Deformed Church posted:

edit: wait, no, he's not taking attrition damage because he gets more health back every time he pointlessly throws himself at my walls and wastes another of my turns. Sometimes he raises a single squad of zombies though! My assassination chance is pretty low, is it possible to savescum until that succeeds?

Undead units have a base chance to Rise Again when killed. After the battle, units reduced to 0 have a chance to instead be at a few units or low health. Generals seem to have a higher base chance of this from what I've seen. You've probably been getting unlucky with the odds, but 4-5 times isn't that rare. The easiest way to ensure they die is to beat them, then chase them down and beat them a second time in the same turn. That almost always just destroys the entire army, regardless of survivors.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Yeah I've never seen an army survive being beaten after a retreat.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
When those 1 HP generals that attack and then run away in a auto resolve happen I just fight manually and let the archers deal with him.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Theres a weird script quirk where autoresolve will just not kill a lord whose attacking a garrison.

I had the final orc lord of a faction attack a garrison like 5 times without dying. The first couple battles had him drop significantly in health, then once he got low he started losing an absolutely minuscule amount of health. I finally gave up, played the battle, and he died almost instantly from a couple arrows

SickZip fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 30, 2016

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

sassassin posted:

What difficulty are you playing on? On hard this is the opposite of my experiences.

Normal, which is why it's so weird to me.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Rygar201 posted:

Yeah I've never seen an army survive being beaten after a retreat.

I've had to fight the same army 3/4 times after a retreat to fully remove them before.

I don't autoresolve, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Ammanas posted:

So uh in the lore do chaos warriors and forsaken and poo poo not eat food? Cuz who grows crops and stuff for these huge armies if they're destroying everything

The chaos gods are all personifications of certain emotions and actions, such as violence and rage for Khorne, and depression and decay for Nurgle, and they all gain more power when mortals act accordingly. They latch unto mortals which do or promote the thing they like, and empower them to do more of the thing they like. They're all inherently self-destructive, and although they are possessed of a sentience which allows them long-term planning to an extent (Khorne might murder less people today in order to murder more tomorrow), they are always compelled to promote the emotions or actions that they represent.

If it doesn't seem like they have a end-game plan, it's because they don't have one. They're single-mindedly focused on creating more of the thing they personify, even if it's self-destructive in the long-term (in a completely dead world there would be no decay and Nurgle would die, for instance). It's a pretty neat piece of backstory imo.

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Dec 31, 2016

• Locked thread