Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

Here's a video where he has the big shell built out of legos
https://youtu.be/QiXFr0hMbYM

Edit holy poo poo. This video is amazing please watch it

i loving love this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Here's a video where he has the big shell built out of legos
https://youtu.be/QiXFr0hMbYM

Edit holy poo poo. This video is amazing please watch it

Bobnumerotres posted:

i loving love this

My favorite part of the tanker scene is the attention to detail with the rain. The sound it makes when you're inside and it's hitting the window, and outside how it looks like you're getting drenched in it. And how the rain effects gameplay in a subtle ways. The whole tanker level is like a great stand-alone game in of itself. This is going to sound weird, but I always check how a developer handles a character going up and down stairs. In a lot of games the developer handles stairs as a sloop, and few try to cheat and have it so when you pause it adjusts the feet. Metal Gear of course does not cheat and has each foot placed firmly on the proper stair when you walk up or down. Nothing like dragging an enemy up a flight with his head bopping on each stair. Oh yeah and thank you for this link.

Nude fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Dec 29, 2016

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Hell yeah to all of that. I remember how impressed I was in MGS when I realized that soldiers could follow footsteps in the snow. Also slipping on bird poo poo on top of Big Shell is awesome.!

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

its not weird to make that observation. kojima is a perfectionist obsessed with getting every last detail just right, and pushing the hardware to its absolute limit. if its possible to animate ice slowly melting over time on the PS2 and only a handful of players will ever see it, well loving do it!

cant imagine how excited a guy like him gets when the next batch of consoles comes out with a big horsepower upgrade. i remember reading MGS4 development interviews where he wanted to take that sort of ice-melting stuff to the next level, have trees that age and cars that rust depending on the weather in the area and all sorts of stuff. it turned out to be a far more linear adventure than he planned for, and MGS5 got cut off before these sort of crazy details could make it in (tho plenty of them did im sure).

thinking about this poo poo just gets me more and more excited for his future titles. even if they somehow don't end up being my cup of tea, they will be a masterwork of art, design and ingenuity that blows everything else out of the water.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

You can extrapolate from his design style though. His games are all built from the inside out (maybe not snatcher). In all of the mgs5 interviews before Ground Zeroes came out he really pressed how much time they spend making sure the controls are tight and the game is fun to play before they start laying on graphics and story elements.Theres a good video I posted in the last couple of metal gear July threads from like 97 where he had built alll of metal gear solids levels out of Legos and was walking through them with a tiny hand camera to show his team exactly how he wanted the camera to shift when you switched perspectives and stuff.
These are good points. Kojima and Shiggy M. both talk a lot in interviews about player experience and ensuring their players have fun.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nude posted:

My favorite part of the tanker scene is the attention to detail with the rain. The sound it makes when you're inside and it's hitting the window, and outside how it looks like you're getting drenched in it. And how the rain effects gameplay in a subtle ways. The whole tanker level is like a great stand-alone game in of itself. This is going to sound weird, but I always check how a developer handles a character going up and down stairs. In a lot of games the developer handles stairs as a sloop, and few try to cheat and have it so when you pause it adjusts the feet. Metal Gear of course does not cheat and has each foot placed firmly on the proper stair when you walk up or down. Nothing like dragging an enemy up a flight with his head bopping on each stair. Oh yeah and thank you for this link.

I actually thought about MGS2 stairs when I was playing Hitman yesterday because the animations in that game completely fall apart when AI go up and down stairs. Specifically dragging a body bag down stairs because the guy dragging it has a canned animation but the body bag has physics and is as heavy as a person, but their lower half of rooted to the NPC walking animation. So it just looks like this crazy tube of flesh wiggling like this _/ while it slides down steps

So Icey Seifuku
Dec 26, 2007

Plutonis posted:

I really wish Suda and Hideo teamed up

They did one radio drama set in the Snatcher universe with Jean-Jack Gibson as the protagonist together back in 2011 called Sdatcher.

All the voice acting was provided by Kojima, Suda and their personal friends with Akira Yamaoka doing the score.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

I actually thought about MGS2 stairs when I was playing Hitman yesterday because the animations in that game completely fall apart when AI go up and down stairs. Specifically dragging a body bag down stairs because the guy dragging it has a canned animation but the body bag has physics and is as heavy as a person, but their lower half of rooted to the NPC walking animation. So it just looks like this crazy tube of flesh wiggling like this _/ while it slides down steps

I was playing Rise of the Tomb Raider and during a climbing section some models above me were floating in T-pose until a fireball came in and triggered their next script and they turned into animations lol

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

FactsAreUseless posted:

These are good points. Kojima and Shiggy M. both talk a lot in interviews about player experience and ensuring their players have fun.

The true meaning of games.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

frank.club posted:

I was playing Rise of the Tomb Raider and during a climbing section some models above me were floating in T-pose until a fireball came in and triggered their next script and they turned into animations lol

i love t pose

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

elf help book posted:

i love t pose

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's hard to say what Kojima's style is, because he does so little that isn't MGS. We know what the MGS style is, but that just means Kojima has tried to be consistent within the series. With the Death Stranding trailer, we can expand that to "very film-inspired" but that's about it.

mechanically, he's all about interactions and systems, and he's very tongue-in-cheek about it all. cigars and cigarettes used to be joke items that had a hidden utility until he repurposed them in V as a way to pass time. boxes were another joke item that were still useful to hide in plain sight and he managed to come up with new ways to have the player and the game world interact with them. it's why bird poo poo on the big shell can cause you to trip if you run over it and why getting a wolf to piss on a cardboard box in a cave will prevent future wolf attacks in mgs1.

death stranding looks like it's gonna be really somber in tone, but i can't help thinking he's gonna take the piss out of his own stuff again like he usually does.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Action Tortoise posted:

death stranding looks like it's gonna be really somber in tone, but i can't help thinking he's gonna take the piss out of his own stuff again like he usually does.

Every trailer for MGSV was somber in tone and it still had chicken hats, bikini girls, and water pistols. There is no way Death Stranding isn't full of things to lighten the mood.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

lariatoooooo

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Look Sir Droids posted:

Every trailer for MGSV was somber in tone and it still had chicken hats, bikini girls, and water pistols. There is no way Death Stranding isn't full of things to lighten the mood.

Snakes stamina bar dropping during cutscenes in MGS4 still cracks me up

Steve Shultz
Jul 6, 2007
The ELIJAH LIST, spamming your inbox for the lord.

I though this fantastically summed up the MGS2 making of.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Snakes stamina bar dropping during cutscenes in MGS4 still cracks me up
One of the things I love about the first four MGS games especially is how transparently a video game they are. Enemies drop things in floating boxes, you move your controller to another port to beat a boss, and in a cutscene Snake has infinite ammo because he's wearing the bandana. It's awesome. Tons of games work hard to pretend they're not a game and never acknowledge that, and I love that the MGS series just says "hey, it's a video game, you do video game things."

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
the best joke was in mgs4 when you're returning to the part where you have to switch discs and otacon calls you up to brag about how great Blu Rays are for being dual layer.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Action Tortoise posted:

the best joke was in mgs4 when you're returning to the part where you have to switch discs and otacon calls you up to brag about how great Blu Rays are for being dual layer.
If you have a controller with rumble, Psycho Mantis gets extremely excited.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
my other favorite bit was the sorrow waving a sign with the radio frequency to help you advance the plot in a cutscene.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Steve Shultz posted:

I though this fantastically summed up the MGS2 making of.

Lol

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Action Tortoise posted:

Yeah, instead of a 30 second disc switch screen you get five 4 minute installation screens. Lol.

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

I'm playing mgsv again after giving it a rest for a year. The gameplay and controls remain sick nasty. I'm trying to ghost ground zeroes before I move onto phantom pain

Having and unlimited supply of magazines to throw and distract guards with no penalty is probably the most OP thing in the game

Double phantom edit - that and smoke grenades which are also very powerful but is something guards eventually adapt to

beepstreet fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 30, 2016

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

beepstreet posted:

Yeah, instead of a 30 second disc switch screen you get five 4 minute installation screens. Lol.

I remember those install times being twenty minutes each back then.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Action Tortoise posted:

I remember those install times being twenty minutes each back then.

it was worth it and snake would sit there smoking while warning messages popped up advising you not to smoke

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Everytime i see the title i read "Hideo Kojima has been set on fire."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mithaldu posted:

Everytime i see the title i read "Hideo Kojima has been set on fire."
He's been on fire since 1998.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
Small Todd Theory

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

PleasingFungus posted:

Small Todd Theory

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

teach the controversy

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
kojima wears high heels obv

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Dongslayer. posted:

kojima wears high heels obv

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

hes on his tiptoes god lmfao

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

despicable

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

lmao

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Lmfao

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Todd Howard is turning into the feels guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

That Oblivion quest where all the furniture is gigantic was autobiographical apparently

• Locked thread