Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Onmi posted:

Gobwin Knob and Charlescomm's portal's are sunk, preventing them from pulling any more poo poo in the Magic Kingdom

What does "sunk" mean? Literally pulled underground? Perhaps even inside the bedrock? Because that won't stop people who have the Wonky Wrench...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Cat Mattress posted:

What does "sunk" mean? Literally pulled underground? Perhaps even inside the bedrock? Because that won't stop people who have the Wonky Wrench...

Well seeing as it's commonly believed you just can't get under Bedrock, perhaps just deep into the ground. Which... I mean is DUMB when you know Gobwin Knob has a Dirtamancer. But I guess the feeling is "He'd need to be in here, and we'll expel the casters first."
EDIT: The discussion right now is, Claude and Ivan swore to serve Charlie Forever, not just until they died. They might still be compelled to be loyal to him.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They might also be very worried that Charlie couldn't protect them from whatever killed them, and relieved that the Arkenpliers could bring them back. Every unit has Duty to their side, and it took Ossomer's situation to bring that duty to a point where he would turn. These guys? I doubt it.

Is Lilith even still alive/non-dust? I thought she ate it in the ballet of death and decryption at portal park.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

They might also be very worried that Charlie couldn't protect them from whatever killed them, and relieved that the Arkenpliers could bring them back. Every unit has Duty to their side, and it took Ossomer's situation to bring that duty to a point where he would turn. These guys? I doubt it.

Is Lilith even still alive/non-dust? I thought she ate it in the ballet of death and decryption at portal park.

She is alive and testified on Wanda's behalf. However since it was a Kangaroo court from the start, it meant nothing.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

There's still that doll running around down there, no? So if Charlie isn't spacing out on the gardening channel he should be aware of some severe shenanigans going down.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

nimby posted:

There's still that doll running around down there, no? So if Charlie isn't spacing out on the gardening channel he should be aware of some severe shenanigans going down.

I don't think that was Charlie's doll.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

It was Claud's, but I don't think they ever established what happens to summoned/created units after the caster dies. It seemed pretty upset when it saw Claud die and had a blue-ish costume, so I assumed it turned over to Charlie as well.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

nimby posted:

It was Claud's, but I don't think they ever established what happens to summoned/created units after the caster dies. It seemed pretty upset when it saw Claud die and had a blue-ish costume, so I assumed it turned over to Charlie as well.

I really, really, really want to know why Janis is doing this. Perhaps I missed it, but I don't recall her direct motives.

What about that 'ultimate peace spell' which would allow Wanda to walk out of the dungeon? Is that still a plan? I thought Janis was in on it, perhaps I'm wrong?

She doesn't even question whether or not the Decrypted would die if Wanda does. So does she know Wanda won't die and is acting because of surveillance? Does she know that the Decrypted won't die? Is she acting on faith alone? Why is she doing all this for Marie, is she in love with Marie or is there something else? Is Marie necessary for the ultimate peace spell?

I've re-read recent updates but I still feel like I'm missing things.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

khy posted:

What about that 'ultimate peace spell' which would allow Wanda to walk out of the dungeon? Is that still a plan? I thought Janis was in on it, perhaps I'm wrong?

That was the plan and Janis was in on it, but the Thinkamancers have turned on them, which we now know Marie predicted in advance, so Janis is making her own arrangements.

quote:

She doesn't even question whether or not the Decrypted would die if Wanda does. So does she know Wanda won't die and is acting because of surveillance? Does she know that the Decrypted won't die? Is she acting on faith alone? Why is she doing all this for Marie, is she in love with Marie or is there something else? Is Marie necessary for the ultimate peace spell?

I think she's just hoping for the best, because Decrypted Marie might survive Wanda's execution, but dead Marie certainly won't.

As far as I know Marie is just Janis' very dear friend.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Vinny continues to be the best character, haha

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
:allears:

So either Albert makes it back inside the city before Vinny takes the garrison, or he just sits around for a while and then disbands before he knows what's happening.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Good to see Vinny back as a main character again. He has been relegated to cameo appearances since Book 1 (which ended in 2009).

Jesus, I've been reading this series for almost a decade now! Same with Order of the Stick.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

So either Albert makes it back inside the city before Vinny takes the garrison, or he just sits around for a while and then disbands before he knows what's happening.

This is something we're not ENTIRELY clear about : what happens when a side loses their capital but still has another capital.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

reignonyourparade posted:

This is something we're not ENTIRELY clear about : what happens when a side loses their capital but still has another capital.

When a capital is seized, the side doesn't end (it takes the death of a ruler w/o an heir to do that), but the treasury is lost. This could potentially screw Jillian, meaning Charlie is probably going to have to bail her out. Jetstone just barely avoided this when Slately changed the capital (to shut the MK portal behind Parson).

Jillian can't change her capital (as she would need to be at Faq to do that) but she could probably declare Gobwin Knob the new one once Faq falls. She would have practically no funds though.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Not necessary. If Vinny had ALL of FAQs remaining units outside the walls, then the city immediately falls to him the moment the alliance broke. They become enemy units occupying an empty hex. Which also took the city with all its infrastructure intact.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
There's gotta be more garrison units stationed there than just Albert and those two knights. Vinny mentioned he'd have to do some "real nasty work" to conquer it, although that was a while ago.

reignonyourparade posted:

Yeah, thinking about it I'm not entirely sure if I'm Coming For You Stanley would just automagically become the new capital or what, and if any units outside Jillian's hex would be lost in that transition since she didn't change the capital beforehand.

I feel like the natural progression is Albert becomes Vinny's prisoner briefly before turning to Transylvito. But I guess we'll find out in the year 2017!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

There's gotta be more garrison units stationed there than just Albert and those two knights. Vinny mentioned he'd have to do some "real nasty work" to conquer it, although that was a while ago.

Yeah, thinking about it I'm not entirely sure if I'm Coming For You Stanley would just automagically become the new capital or what, and if any units outside Jillian's hex would be lost in that transition since she didn't change the capital beforehand.

I feel like the natural progression is Albert becomes Vinny's prisoner briefly before turning to Transylvito. But I guess we'll find out in the year 2017!

Yeah, when Jillian was still there with her army. But she took them and flew out. Vinny just pulled on FAQ what Jillian pulled on Gobwin Knob He took the capital while the majority of the army was busy elsewhere. Except in his case, he didn't literally wipe out the enemy army one by one. I'm sure Albert will just turn to Transylvito, that's been built up and hinted. But Charlie's going to have to dig deep into his pockets to provide for all of Jillians troops. Even claiming Gobwin Knob as the new capital, she wont have the funds to support the troops.

Except in GK's case, the Capital was Spacerock, and the loss of Gobwin Knob was more a loss of their home than their Capital.

Also, this is I think the first out and out "Win" for Gobwin Knob all chapter.

EDIT: And Gobwin Knob was NOT a Capital, it was a former capital site (Of Gobwin Knob) but Spacerock is Gobwin Knob's capital. Gobwin Knob is just a level 5 (With defensive fortifications making it a level 8) City.

Jillian can designate Gobwin Knob as her Capital... but only from the throne of FAQ. Now, next turn, once she's the ruler without a Capital, she can designate Gobwin Knob her Capital, but only after she's lost her Treasury to Transylvito.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Dec 31, 2016

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I just love a dirty-trick swarm of bats saying "cheap"

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

One of 'em says Cheat.

I like how the title spells out that Vinny is the father. Wonder if people in Erfworld feel any Loyalty to family.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I feel like Albert's interest in turning to Transylvito might take a plunge after getting played like this.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

The old bubble kingdom of Faq was three adjacent cities, as I recall. Did Jillian rebuild all three, or just one when she refounded it? Potentially, she has two more in close proximity for Albert to flee to.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Bobulus posted:

The old bubble kingdom of Faq was three adjacent cities, as I recall. Did Jillian rebuild all three, or just one when she refounded it? Potentially, she has two more in close proximity for Albert to flee to.

They were all rebuilt if I'm remembering a previous update correctly (Vinny mentioned making rounds between cities and being very bored about it).

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Yeah she rebuilt all three.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

It's also been established that they're all lose to Transylvito, so they will probably all fall relatively easily with Jillian being so far out with most of her army.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

The main issue, is due to losing the capital, Jillian has lost the Treasury. So while she may, in fact, be able to keep on fighting, the fact is the next turn, she's going to be facing Upkeep for Megalow's a Royal Heir, and her entire strike force. At that point she has two choices. Sack troops to have the funds, Raze Gobwin Knob, her only remaining capital site, or, Charlie
And Charlie is contractually obligated to NOT aid her for a few more turns still.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Okay, so binged through the entire comic the last few days. Book 3 kind of turned into a slog during the Magic Kingdom fight but things seem to be picking up again.

The last book I read was the prequel stuff. I'm a lot more sympathetic to Jillian now, especially after some fan theories I read. I hope they kill and decrypt her and this fixes her brain, and then I hope she turns immediately because, screw that entire creepy relationship with Wanda.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Eh, she's already over Wanda, but I don't think anything is actually broken.

Like Wanda, she is an exceptionally powerful skills and abilities that is also a total fuckup and liability to their side.

Charlie would be wiped out in a few turns if he had both the non-wonder twins working for him.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Betsy did the psychic equivalent of opening a machine panel and just ripping out fistfuls of wires. Pretty sure the jester Charlie killed was massively significant as well. From all signs, decrypted Jillian would wind up right back in love with Wanda, but if she could manage to reject her, decrypting is 100% a good thing if it would undo the previous mental damage done.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Zoe posted:

Betsy did the psychic equivalent of opening a machine panel and just ripping out fistfuls of wires. Pretty sure the jester Charlie killed was massively significant as well. From all signs, decrypted Jillian would wind up right back in love with Wanda, but if she could manage to reject her, decrypting is 100% a good thing if it would undo the previous mental damage done.

At least some of the damage must be fixed, given that Jillian's personality is reasonably similar to what it was like before Betsy whammied her, and doesn't really bear any resemblance to any of the things Betsy wanted to try to do.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Did anyone else get the latest Backer update?

LOL

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

Onmi posted:

The main issue, is due to losing the capital, Jillian has lost the Treasury. So while she may, in fact, be able to keep on fighting, the fact is the next turn, she's going to be facing Upkeep for Megalow's a Royal Heir, and her entire strike force. At that point she has two choices. Sack troops to have the funds, Raze Gobwin Knob, her only remaining capital site, or, Charlie
And Charlie is contractually obligated to NOT aid her for a few more turns still.

"Whoops, did I just leave these gemstones lying about outside Gobwin Knob? How careless of me! I really hope nobody finds them."

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

chippocrates posted:

"Whoops, did I just leave these gemstones lying about outside Gobwin Knob? How careless of me! I really hope nobody finds them."

One can posit an argument that due to the auto-enforcement rules of the contract. Charlie couldn't do that. Not that it will matter, she needs to make the decision now. Units cannot move hex when the turn is over, and, due to alliance with Transylvito, Jillian was taking her turn at the same time as them. Now that alliance is broken, she's still taking her turn at the same time, except Charlie isn't. Whether he took turn earlier or will take it later, he actually cannot act right now And if his turn's already passed, by the time he can "Conveniently leave the gems where Jillian can fin them." She's already had to pay upkeep, with no treasury beyond what the other cities are producing, which already WASN'T enough to cover Jillians army. If his turn hasn't passed? Same difference, He can leave the Gems, but Jillian is going to have to do something to make upkeep or depop a lot of units. This'll kill her ability to continue her warpath, or it will reduce her side.There is no way without being in breech of contract to aid Jillian before her next turn starts and she's forced to either Depop units, raze a city for the funds (And the only one she can raze is Gobwin Knob, her only capital site) or in general downsize to where her remaining cities (Provided Transylvito doesn't also take them) can supply her army.

Funnily enough, if her other cities are taken? This'll place Jillian in the exact position Stanley was in Book 1. One well defended city.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

If its down to the a Level One, it won't be very well defended.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Rygar201 posted:

If its down to the a Level One, it won't be very well defended.

It'll be down to a Level One if she razes it for funds. But without FAQ Gobwin Knob is her only capital. Even a meathead like Jillian who can think only of how to attack and has no idea how to defend herself knows she can't turn her only remaining capital into a level one city just to survive for another turn.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Onmi posted:

One can posit an argument that due to the auto-enforcement rules of the contract. Charlie couldn't do that.

He did worse than than, and more blatantly, in giving her the guns though.

Rand Brittain posted:

At least some of the damage must be fixed, given that Jillian's personality is reasonably similar to what it was like before Betsy whammied her, and doesn't really bear any resemblance to any of the things Betsy wanted to try to do.

Either way, it's surely going to be a plot point that for whatever reason Jillian wasn't subjected to the Deal of a Lifetime the way the others were, she had all relevant memories (and then some) actually removed, and then was made to forget even that much. And of course none of the others were ever allowed to bring it up again, so she would just remain oblivious forever.

Of course she may not need to be decrypted, Jack being able to discuss it all now may be enough to put this together, provided they're ever in a situation where he'll talk and she'll listen.

Man, all the Book Zero stuff fresh on my mind makes the way Book 3 is dragging on about far less interesting stuff kind of unbearable...

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Zoe posted:

He did worse than than, and more blatantly, in giving her the guns though.

By dropping those in another hex and letting her go to them.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Wait a sec, Ansom's still in Faq's dungeon, isn't he?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I don't think it's been stated where he is. Jillian may have taken him again.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Jillian left him in the dungeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

So questions answered: Jillian did leave some sort of Garrison troops, her tower is ridiculous and if FAQ falls, so does Jillians Treasury.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 4, 2017