Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

DoctorWhat posted:

DKC 1-3 are ugly as poo poo and Yoshi's Island is the prettiest game on the system, so...

DKC 1-3 are pretty as heck on the old tube TVs they were meant for but at higher resolutions they lose a lot of their charm while the handdrawn style of Yoshi's Island manages it far better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I never played the DKCs on CRTs so maybe.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

DoctorWhat posted:

Yoshi's Island is the prettiest game on the system

That distinction belongs to Kirby's Dream Land 3, although you're forgiven for making that mistake since most people had moved on to the N64/PS1 by the time that game dropped and so aren't familiar with how incredible it looks.

Mokinokaro posted:

DKC 1-3 are pretty as heck on the old tube TVs they were meant for but at higher resolutions they lose a lot of their charm while the handdrawn style of Yoshi's Island manages it far better.

Yeah the DKC games' problem graphically is how pixelated everything looks blown up in HD. On a more period-appropriate television they still look fine and I feel that people who hate on them never played them back in the day when they were new and when HDTVs were not a thing.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

You don't understand, the RLM people are now part of The Enemy. Either you're with us or against us.

<music> Nerd wars, nothing but Nerd Wars, bring us the Nerd Wars, don't let them end. </music> :p

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Hey, Hbomb. Do you need to do the FIFTEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS! meme again?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdcQDmspjTg

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tracula posted:

...Did he blow $15k in Patreon money on a high speed camera? The gently caress's he going to use it for? Filming himself screaming about Anita Sarkeesian at 1000FPS? :raise:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

nine-gear crow posted:

...Did he blow $15k in Patreon money on a high speed camera? The gently caress's he going to use it for? Filming himself screaming about Anita Sarkeesian at 1000FPS? :raise:

Within the FIRST MINUTE he bitches about Anita so probably.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Tracula posted:

He's so old. I had no idea. I feel sad for him now.

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

Jack Gladney posted:

He's so old. I had no idea. I feel sad for him now.

Why? Just because he's lonely, angry, with minimal job mobility because everyone hates working with him, and entertains himself by using a horde of sycophants to abuse women who say Mean Things™ about video games that he hasn't and will never play?

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

nine-gear crow posted:

Does he still do those chemical reaction experiment videos? I used to like those.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Digibro talked up Log Horizon like it was the second coming of Christ and it's actually near harem dumb garbage. I have been led astray. How do I trust his opinions anymore.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

LFK posted:

Why? Just because he's lonely, angry, with minimal job mobility because everyone hates working with him, and entertains himself by using a horde of sycophants to abuse women who say Mean Things™ about video games that he hasn't and will never play?

Yeah. That's something that's always perplexed me. Just how did Thunderf00t go from being some sort of alleged discount internet Mr. Wizard guy to screaming about video game feminism and organizing hate mobs against random cafe owners on the other side of the planet ? That seems like a hell of a jump. Or is it just literally because he hates women that loving much?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

nine-gear crow posted:

Or is it just literally because he hates women that loving much?

That's pretty much the story of most of the old youtube atheist guys nowadays.

It stopped being so edgy to get on about american christianity and whatever else, so woops, now it's time to hate women, hate minorities, join some crazy nationalist group and so on.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

WickedHate posted:

Digibro talked up Log Horizon like it was the second coming of Christ and it's actually near harem dumb garbage. I have been led astray. How do I trust his opinions anymore.
To be fair, when he mentions it it’s usually in comparison to Sword Art Online, which is a lovely harem show in addition to its many other faults. Log Horizon came along later and a lot of people were relieved that it was doing something more interesting with a premise that SAO had completely squandered.

Personally I did like the first season of Log Horizon, but I wouldn’t say I’m as big a fan of it as he is. All the political and economic stuff is cool but as the story goes along it starts to feel like a distraction from the really interesting plot threads i.e. finding out what exactly happened to these people and how they can escape from their situation. This gets even worse in the second season, where it spins its wheels following side characters for multiple episodes as they fart around doing nothing of interest.

Bakeneko fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Dec 31, 2016

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

WickedHate posted:

Wow, Wicked Hate has bad opinions, this is unprecedented

I am ready and prepared to get glass shards in my skin from the rock I just threw

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Wow, Wicked Hate has bad opinions, this is unprecedented

I am ready and prepared to get glass shards in my skin from the rock I just threw

Pretty telling that you are into Log Horizon lol

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Pretty telling that you are into Log Horizon lol

I'm sure it is

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
To be fair, I also hate Ghost in the Shell, but I'm perfectly willing to just accept that's something wrong with me and I have some brain problem keeping me from enjoying it.

With Log Horizon the characters felt stiff and awkward, and the ninja girl submissively swearing her loyalty to Main Guy was grating, but the big boobed guild leader showing up is when I just closed the tab and walked away.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah. That's something that's always perplexed me. Just how did Thunderf00t go from being some sort of alleged discount internet Mr. Wizard guy to screaming about video game feminism and organizing hate mobs against random cafe owners on the other side of the planet ? That seems like a hell of a jump. Or is it just literally because he hates women that loving much?

He's always been kind of a seething douche; my first experiences with him were when he was a guest on a show with another atheist dude I liked, and I remember wondering why everyone liked him so much when his material consisted primarily of "LOL look how retarded these theists are, gently caress 'em, amirite?" Not much science, just a whole lot of poorly-explained disdain. I've seen some people posit that he's targeting Sarkeesian because that gets you the mad YT cash, but I tend to assume it's more just dude has a bad habit of polishing his hate-on and doesn't know how to break out of obsessive thinking.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I kind of got a sign when people advertised him "as a way to be with science" and one of his vids was him attacking a creationist re: showing our ways of life (I think Ben Stein was the one) by saying that the western world had a duty to enlighten our civilizations with progressive values. Using the Iraq and Aphgan wars as examples of how.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Lindsay's long awaited video on RENT manages to get out the gate before 2017 officially starts*

*depending on your location

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Hell Yeah!

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

Renegade Cut https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGQe9YY1G2E

Folding Ideas https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDclQowcE9I

and HBomberguy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6NiXAdMzEk

also all managed to squeeze in under the wire

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Also toss in a new Movies with Mikey on The Grand Budapest Hotel.

Lot of last-minute videos today.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

I have a sort of counter-argument to one of the points in this video. Despite reports that the game had launched in a broken state, Fallout 4 still garnered a lot of positive reviews, with a Metacritic rating of 84.

Rock Paper Shotgun posted:

52 hours in, would I go back for more? Yes, absolutely. I lived and breathed Fallout 4 for the vast majority of last week and the fact I was mostly having a drat good time meant I did it willingly. It’s glitchy, a little repetitive and over-familiar, and far too heavy on unconvincing combat, but the improved technology (or the budget) means it’s able to realise the dense, detailed, beautiful decay that Fallout 3 did not, and its dramatically better-presented and performed characters means it’s not shooting itself in the foot in the way Oblivion and Skyrim did. The personality gulf between Bethesda games and BioWare games feels a whole lot narrower now. I won’t for one second pretend that it’s what devotees of Fallout 1 and 2 want, but it does feel like the game Fallout 3 tried and, to my mind, failed to be.

Vibrant and characterful as well as immense, Fallout 4 is the giant leap forwards Bethesda’s RPGs sorely needed in terms of presentation, though the unrelenting focus on routine, lightweight combat sees it fall just short of triumph status.

US Gamer posted:

If you've played a Bethesda RPG, you should have a pretty good idea of what you're in for. Bethesda plays it surprisingly safe with the formula, but they also do a much better job with the story this time around, serving to elevate the game as a whole. While there's no denying that it can be a bit ridiculous at times, its sheer scope speaks for itself. Bethesda has succeeded in crafting yet another fascinating open-world RPG.

4.5/5

Polygon posted:

Fallout 4 most certainly has bugs. In fact, this was specifically mentioned in the introduction to our review — in the second paragraph, even. And this is something worth noting for players who have no patience for that kind of thing. But the general experience with Fallout 4 both here at Polygon and at large appears to be a much more stable release than previous games from Bethesda. After a full month of observation and hundreds of hours across various Polygon staffers with little in the way of major technical problems — and fewer technical problems than seen in a number of other major open-world titles this year — we feel confident removing our provisional status from the Fallout 4 review.

9.5/10

also Polygon posted:

The game piles on systems, and very few of them are explained in clear, understandable ways to the player. There are a substantial number of things to learn in Fallout 4, and the game will only kinda sorta help you do so. My first attempts at playing the game and tackling even the opening missions ended with my death, which mirrors what my real-life experience would likely be should I find myself in the wasteland: a few minutes of confusion that end with a bullet in the back of the head.

It's not that a fun, bouncy pop song is dominating the charts in gaming right now, it's as if we woke up in a world where everyone is so damned tired of hearing that Ministry song on top-40 stations. This is the gaming equivalent of audiences giving the bird to Jurassic World in order to see the new Lars von Trier film. Bethesda has created a surreal world in which Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music goes triple-platinum.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Max Wilco posted:

I have a sort of counter-argument to one of the points in this video. Despite reports that the game had launched in a broken state, Fallout 4 still garnered a lot of positive reviews, with a Metacritic rating of 84.

And how many of those positive reviews were not paid for by Bethesda,you wager?

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Didn't Fallout New Vegas get the same metascore, and Bethesda or Zenimax or whomever told Obsidian, who developed that game, that they wouldn't be allowed to make another because the metascore wasn't high enough for them?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ApeHawk posted:

Didn't Fallout New Vegas get the same metascore, and Bethesda or Zenimax or whomever told Obsidian, who developed that game, that they wouldn't be allowed to make another because the metascore wasn't high enough for them?

That didn't happen. Instead they had a 85 metacritic requirement in their contract for a big bonus. The game got a 84 and got heavy criticism for being buggy.

Bethesda handled the QA. :downs:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

EDIT: That's right it was 85, and Bethesda handled the QA.

ApeHawk posted:

I don't remember the exact details, but I believe the deal Bethesda/Zenimax made to Obsidian was that New Vegas had to get a Metacritic rating of 75 in order to qualify for some type of bonus, but it only managed a 74.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea your video's on the target and all but let's not pretend Fallout 4 didn't get hailed as a fantastic game with 5/5 reviews going up literally right over articles like the 'lol it's all broken' one. The funniest part about this insanity is it wasn't even some big 'the critics finally had enough' dramatic standing up for the consumer thing, it was just 'people didn't love our beta so gently caress em'.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Ah, right, just the bonus thing. Must've forgotten that detail or mixed it up somehow.

Still, that's loving bullshit.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

hot take: bethesda as a developer has not made a single good game since morrowind

and as a publisher they are loving terrible

do not buy bethesda products plz

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

yea your video's on the target and all but let's not pretend Fallout 4 didn't get hailed as a fantastic game with 5/5 reviews going up literally right over articles like the 'lol it's all broken' one. The funniest part about this insanity is it wasn't even some big 'the critics finally had enough' dramatic standing up for the consumer thing, it was just 'people didn't love our beta so gently caress em'.

Not that's it's totally related, but right before F4 released, Kotaku leaked details about the game and Bethesda ended up blacklisting them. I'm not saying that makes Bethesda right in not sending out review copies, but it's a little understandable why they wouldn't want to play ball with the press.

I remember, though, that when Bethesda made their statement about not sending out review copies for Dishonored 2, there was a write-up on RPS where they criticized Bethesda for their decision. There was some discussion about it in the Steam thread, and someone pointed out the irony that up until that point, RPS had been doing multiple article highlighting Dishonored 2, effectively serving as a PR machine.

Cubey posted:

Bethesda is a good publisher in the sense that the games they don't develop themselves (Doom, Dishonored, Wolfenstein) are all really good.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Cubey posted:

hot take: bethesda as a developer has not made a single good game since morrowind

do not buy bethesda products plz

the only difference between Morrowind and Omikron: the Nomad Soul is Omikron came first

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Alaois posted:

the only difference between Morrowind and Omikron: the Nomad Soul is Omikron came first

the gently caress kind of idiocy is this, the poo poo that makes morrowind the best game ever is its world and omikron is some dumb scifi thing made by noted terrible game maker david cage

Max Wilco posted:

Bethesda is a good publisher in the sense that the games they don't develop themselves (Doom, Dishonored, Wolfenstein) are all really good.

counterpoint: they published rage and wet

and mother loving rogue warrior

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jan 1, 2017

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Cubey posted:

the gently caress kind of idiocy is this, the poo poo that makes morrowind the best game ever is its world and omikron is some dumb scifi thing made by noted terrible game maker david cage

They had some weird deal before about RPGs without full voice acting because reading is bad and hard.

Also defending the crap protag voicing in FO4 somehow.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

ApeHawk posted:

No, but what they did do was deny them bonus payments that were conditioned on those review scores.

Edit: Beaten by like a mile

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

Andrast posted:

That didn't happen. Instead they had a 85 metacritic requirement in their contract for a big bonus. The game got a 84 and got heavy criticism for being buggy.

Bethesda handled the QA. :downs:

The particular injustice here is that those bonuses are negotiated as a protection for the developer, the idea being that if I, the developer make a good game, and you, the publisher, just send it out to die, I get a big fat bonus based on the positive reviews (which are the closest thing to proof that I delivered the good game you asked for) to compensate for the loss in royalties because you under-promoted the game and it sold like dog turd. This acts as leverage, too, to get the publishers to at least nominally promote the game in order to recoup the money paid out in the performance bonus.

Turns out that falls apart if you give the publisher a lever to impact the quality.

So the moral of the story is "make your publisher pay for QA, but don't let them do the QA themselves."

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Alaois posted:

Cubey posted:

Maybe it's in reference to meta/4th wall aspect in both games. Omikron's whole gimmick is that you weren't playing a game, you were 'viewing another world through your computer'. Morrowind had something similar with the whole CHIM thing where a lot of the in-game writing basically amounts to "Vivec or whoever opened up the Construction Kit and gave himself max stats."

Cubey posted:

counterpoint: they published rage and wet

and mother loving rogue warrior
That's true. However, Rage was also developed by iD, which also brings up another small issue I have with HBomb's video. He says that iD Software's has been making good games for long time, but most of (if not all) the people who were there at the start of company are no longer there.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jan 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Max Wilco posted:

Maybe it's in reference to meta/4th wall aspect in both games. Omikron's whole gimmick is that you weren't playing a game, you were 'viewing another world through your computer'. Morrowind had something similar with the whole CHIM thing where a lot of the in-game writing basically amounts to "Vivec or whoever opened up the Construction Kit and gave himself max stats."

i doubt it because chim is some dumb thing most people, including people like me who really really love morrowind, could not give a single poo poo about. chim is literally just some dumb justification for mods in the game, that is the whole reason it exists and it plays no role in the games themselves aside from that.

• Locked thread