Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

weekly font posted:

I don't know if it was lighting or how much he moved but sometimes CGI Tarkin looked like Peter Cushing and sometimes he looked like Dobby from Harry Potter.

To be fair, even real live Peter Cushing looked like Dobby on occasion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
ILM started doing some interviews about their work on Tarkin, and one of things they pointed out was that the lightning used for A New Hope and the lighting used for Rogue One are totally different, which posed some challenges in getting him to come out looking right. They could match it up fine within a scene if they used A New Hope lighting, but then that conflicted with the rest of the movie and he stood out even more when taken as a whole.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Teek posted:

ILM started doing some interviews about their work on Tarkin, and one of things they pointed out was that the lightning used for A New Hope and the lighting used for Rogue One are totally different, which posed some challenges in getting him to come out looking right. They could match it up fine within a scene if they used A New Hope lighting, but then that conflicted with the rest of the movie and he stood out even more when taken as a whole.
This right here is part of why I think Tarkin was overused and a little unnecessary to the movie. Move more of his lines to a hologram communication and maybe just keep the scenes where he orders Krennic superlased and when he takes the Death Star after the successful weapons test. Welcome to the Imperial bureaucracy Krennic! We didn't need to see anywhere near as much of him as we did, which might have made it easier to make the CGI more believable.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I have a feeling that more Tarkin was deemed necessary because the Death Star is Krennic's thing in Rogue One to the point where they needed to give Tarkin an arc of being underhanded and making it his project again. He basically got this other guy to manage making the Death Star for him after he himself proposed it and then took it under his control right upon its completion, so his hands would have been clean if it hosed up and by A New Hope the Death Star is his baby again. Basically I liked that the movie had some internal imperial politicking happening. It also gave us a chance to see the character be ice cold again which is cool. This is totally a dude the emperor or Vader would give the time of day to.

Speaking of which do they ever actually say "Grand Moff" anywhere in any Star Wars movies, or maybe in Clone Wars or whatever? In both Rogue One and in A New Hope they only call him Governor Tarkin on screen, and after the senate is dissolved they say the regional governors will maintain control themselves. I always liked how Grand Moff caught on in the public eye even though it was only on like promotional stuff and toys and things instead of the movie.

The CG was awesome though, there were only a few bits where it stood out to me, mostly prominent times he blinks and this one weird part where like his entire uniform looked like it was made of plastic and fake as hell for a shot. I think that's because of what ILM was talking about with the lighting, because Leia and Tarkin's physical actors were wearing actual uniforms, they probably had trouble selling both the entire outfit and the CG face at the same time.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

This right here is part of why I think Tarkin was overused and a little unnecessary to the movie. Move more of his lines to a hologram communication and maybe just keep the scenes where he orders Krennic superlased and when he takes the Death Star after the successful weapons test. Welcome to the Imperial bureaucracy Krennic! We didn't need to see anywhere near as much of him as we did, which might have made it easier to make the CGI more believable.

Yeah, that was what threw me the most. During his first appearance I thought they might get tricky with it, just showing his face for a moment to establish his identity and then mostly have him talk while he was off-screen or had his back turned. But instead they just had him go at it full-frontal for minutes at a time. I mean, it's still an impressive technical effort, but it seemed overall fairly unnecessary considering they could have used more traditional ways of obscuring the speaker to save themselves that effort.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

jisforjosh posted:

Opening night, saw it in 3D and every time he showed up it was extremely noticeable. Second viewing was in 2D and only the first time he showed up was it glaringly obvious, Tarkin looked way too flushed and he emoted too much when speaking. Peter Cushing in the role was pale and stone cold emotionless when talking.
Reminds me of the CG de-aged Jeff Bridges in Tron Legacy. The first and last shots of him were "whoa, what the gently caress? Demon! Demon! Burn it!" uncanny valley moments, while the ones in between were generally okay. Problem is that it's those first and last shots that people remember.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
They really shoulda kept the cg golem more low key. A reflection in the window, a quick glance of him as he punked Kennedy, that's it. Instead they focused on him way too many times for way too long and you could totally tell he was a computer construct and it took me out of the movie every time.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Calaveron posted:

They really shoulda kept the cg golem more low key. A reflection in the window, a quick glance of him as he punked Kennedy, that's it. Instead they focused on him way too many times for way too long and you could totally tell he was a computer construct and it took me out of the movie every time.

I dunno, that sounds like the sort of hokey poo poo they'd do in movies/TV shows in the 90s. Can't get the actor? Put someone who kinda looks like them in brief cuts, and don't let the audience look at them too long. Acceptable for back then, but not now.

Hell, I like Tarkin in RO just because it's not that kind of stuff. Tarkin is a character in this movie, he's directly in frame, and none of that fleeting glance stuff.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

A stroke caused by the intense stress of losing a loved one, Carrie Fisher's mother just died of a broken heart.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

Speaking of which do they ever actually say "Grand Moff" anywhere in any Star Wars movies, or maybe in Clone Wars or whatever? In both Rogue One and in A New Hope they only call him Governor Tarkin on screen, and after the senate is dissolved they say the regional governors will maintain control themselves. I always liked how Grand Moff caught on in the public eye even though it was only on like promotional stuff and toys and things instead of the movie.

Nope, they don't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdXLDvx_tHQ

Unrelated video topic, but ya, you'll notice Cushing himself mentions his rank when speaking about the character. He even dwells a bit on the silliness of it.

So while it was never explicitly mentioned in ANH it was probably in the script and I think the novelization. The Grand Moff rank just ended up being one of the many multitude of things that were never named or talked about on screen during the OT but everyone end up knowing anyway like "Ewok" and "AT-AT Walker" or "Sheev"

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

AndyElusive posted:

things that were never named or talked about on screen during the OT but everyone end up knowing anyway like "Ewok" and "AT-AT Walker"

Holy poo poo, what? How have I never noticed??

This is blowing my mind.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I never knew about Sheev, but Ewok and the ATs were on toys, so that's explained.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Die Sexmonster! posted:

I never knew about Sheev, but Ewok and the ATs were on toys, so that's explained.

Also in the credits I think.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Looking through the etymology of "Moff" on Wookiepedia, I came across this making of CGI Tarkin in Rogue One. It confirms something I already knew, but it looks like they went to harsh on their specular lighting mapping because the diffuse pass (2nd from left) looks spot on like Cushing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Radio! posted:

This is blowing my mind.

The Kenner toyline was absolutely critical to Star Wars because it named and contextualized everything

Grand Moff is a hilarious title and since its never said in the films id like to believe its the equivalent of intergalactic dance champion.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Young Freud posted:

Looking through the etymology of "Moff" on Wookiepedia, I came across this making of CGI Tarkin in Rogue One. It confirms something I already knew, but it looks like they went to harsh on their specular lighting mapping because the diffuse pass (2nd from left) looks spot on like Cushing.

Nah, that one doesn't take the lighting environment into account. That's what the other passes are for.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Young Freud posted:

Can't wait to see the middle one in a film as Cushing Unleashed

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I'm waiting for people to say actors aren't necessary anymore.

Does anyone else remember what people were saying when Final Fantasy: Spirits Within came out?

As time has passed it seems that movie was way ahead of its time. Not to mention certain plot elements have been used almost exactly in recent video games not in the FF franchise. I thought that movie was bad and I never thought I would defend it or applaud it but here we are.

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Dec 30, 2016

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

disjoe posted:

Can't wait to see the middle one in a film as Cushing Unleashed

I'm partial to bathroom nightlight Peter Cushing on the end.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
It's weird that today's Star Wars Cushing would look perfect in Hammer's Cushing movies.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Gonz posted:

I'm partial to bathroom nightlight Peter Cushing on the end.

Shoutout to Tyler Perry's Cushing second from the right.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
A photo taken earlier this year by Oscar Isaac on the set of Episode VIII:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Radio! posted:

This is blowing my mind.
neither was Palpatine

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!

Barudak posted:

Grand Moff is a hilarious title and since its never said in the films id like to believe its the equivalent of intergalactic dance champion.

That's why Vader respects him so much.

"The groove is strong with this one."

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Radio! posted:

Has anyone mentioned how loving great it is that Jyn Erso shoots a dude right in the dick in a movie that alt-right manchildren have been complaining is too ~SJW-y~? Because it's pretty loving great.
it's been like two weeks since this post but I'm just glad someone else noticed the dick shot. I didn't think it was intentional but I'm definitely down to interpret it this way. On that note it didn't feel distracting or too on the nose, but in hindsight this absolutely was 'team diversity' versus space fascists lead by wannabe-alpha-nerd-engineer-military-industrial-complex stooge, pathologically obsessed with self promotion and ascending the corporate hierarchy, lol. I think even ignoring the ripped from the headlines, rebels = terrorists motifs, this reading is still there. it's barely even a reading at all, i guess. I'm a bit stoned off oxycodone right now, sorry.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Vintersorg posted:

CGI Tarkin actually works way better in 2D for me.

Noticed the same. I actually think it's very good, though the moral implications should always be considered. I certainly don't think that one should go and recreate dead actors whenever.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

[url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876906]
It honestly didn't sink in that Tarkin was CG until I got home. I thought it was extremely well done.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I went and saw the movie one more time, but finished Catalyst right before going to see it. It's pretty cool seeing it with the added context. Mainly because now I'm wondering if even though Tarkin stated that the firing on Scarif was to destroy all records of the original plans, or if it was because he knew Krennic was down there and it was his chance to eliminate a rival.

Apparently most of the delays in construction were because of Krennic's scheming to degrade Tarkin in the eye's of Mas Amedda and the Emperor, and taking several years to recruit Galen into researching how to stabilize the kybers as an energy catalyst. Krennic's rise to power was because he manipulated a battle to occur with a star system that drew Tarkin's star destroyer in and caused them to get entrenched in battle for 6-7 months or so.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Doronin posted:

Mainly because now I'm wondering if even though Tarkin stated that the firing on Scarif was to destroy all records of the original plans, or if it was because he knew Krennic was down there and it was his chance to eliminate a rival.

Based on one viewing of the movie, I'm reasonably sure it had a lot more to do with the latter than the former.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

I've only watched Rogue One once. It was in 2D.

I heard about how bad CGI Tarkin supposedly was, so I braced for the worst. I was also watching for my girlfriend's reaction. She doesn't really know who Peter Cushing is and doesn't care too much for Star Wars. Point being she didn't know about the CGI going in and wouldn't necessarily know something was off when Peter Cushing appeared.

I was pleasantly surprised. I thought his first appearance was a little off but it was far better than the initial reviews suggested - maybe chalk that up to the 2D/3D effect. I honestly thought in that moment that she would be fooled. I could tell her about CGI Cushing and blow her mind later.

Boy was I wrong. She picked up on that poo poo immediately. The scene wasn't even over before she leaned over and whispered to me "Why did they use a CGI guy?" She was so sure of herself she didn't even ask the initial question of "Is this guy CGI?"

So I guess I came in with low expectations that were surpassed, but not by much.

Also Cushing seemed cross eyed to me for some reason.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

beerinator posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Cinema Discusso > Star Wars VIII spoil-o-rama thread. Tarkin might look horrible or he might not look horrible, we can't decide.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Apparently, the Rogue One visual guide has revealed why Dr. Evazan and Ponda Baba have the death sentence in twelve systems...

They were making brainless cyberslaves from wounded victims of the insurgency on Jedha. This specimen got cut but there's a cyborg dude that is featured in the film that has no head.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Young Freud posted:

Apparently, the Rogue One visual guide has revealed why Dr. Evazan and Ponda Baba have the death sentence in twelve systems...

They were making brainless cyberslaves from wounded victims of the insurgency on Jedha. This specimen got cut but there's a cyborg dude that is featured in the film that has no head.

I'm impressed by how hosed this is.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
It seems hosed kind of beyond star wars. It's kind of super cool and gross but it's like.... warhammer or dune. Something grimmer and more perverse.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

It's basically a less hardcore version of Stalkers from half-life, yeah.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
that is super hosed up, but I love how 70's the robot head interface looks.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

ShineDog posted:

It seems hosed kind of beyond star wars. It's kind of super cool and gross but it's like.... warhammer or dune. Something grimmer and more perverse.

Yeah, it's Star Wars so you know that they just stick to "serving tea and other libations". Any other science fiction property and it would get dark loving quick.

This is the headless cyborg I was talking about, Caysin Bog. He apparently appears during one of the tank scenes in Jedha.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

It's basically a less hardcore version of Stalkers from half-life, yeah.

Yeah, no kidding. It reminded me of some of Aaron Beck's work on Elysium or some of the recurring design motifs he has on his blog, where it might have a beautiful woman with her skull reduced for bioengineered fashion or a buff guy with his head replaced with machinegun.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, it's Star Wars so you know that they just stick to "serving tea and other libations". Any other science fiction property and it would get dark loving quick.

This is the headless cyborg I was talking about, Caysin Bog. He apparently appears during one of the tank scenes in Jedha.

Yeah, no kidding. It reminded me of some of Aaron Beck's work on Elysium or some of the recurring design motifs he has on his blog, where it might have a beautiful woman with her skull reduced for bioengineered fashion or a buff guy with his head replaced with machinegun.

Aw his head should have been a hologram

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I only saw R1 in 2D because I have no desire to see 3D movies, but Tarkin looked good to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

ShineDog posted:

Ya, the Decraniated are basically 70s style Mechanicum Servitors.

• Locked thread