Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prav
Oct 29, 2011

IllegallySober posted:

What am I really after if I pull on this banner? I'm looking at the featured relics but nothing's really jumping out that strongly.

I already have Excalibur VI though so maybe that's why?

the main prize is the rune-graven bow. hamelin is good too if you don't mind your healer being made of tissue paper.

but otherwise it's a bit lame yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Just finished out the roulette this morning. Lucky Dice was my second-to-last pull. No refreshes, but not sure how lucky I've been on waves. I definitely haven't had much luck on big cactuars unfortunately.

Still been good to level up my parties, though. Hopefully, the people on my friends list appreciate the Indomitable Blade Celes RW I'm leveling up. I had her at a much lower level for too long, but now approaching 99.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Charles Bukowski posted:

Two ogrekillers and a robe of kindness. Better than nothing I guess, but I'm disappointed.

Should I combine the axes? Its rare synergy but then axes are rare too.

While Axes are rare, most axe users have a good amount of alternatives for weapons so a 6* axe isn't that useful. Like, just taking a list of people who can equip axes but cannot equip swords gives you only Josef (Axes/Hammers/Fists), Cid (IV) (Axes/Hammers) and Raijin (Axes/Hammers/Spears/Fists), two of which aren't even out yet.

FF2 has five axe users (Firion, Guy, Leon, Ricard and Josef) so a second axe will be nicer. Leon with Knight 5/Darkness 5, and Josef with Support 4 can make good use of it.

IllegallySober posted:

What am I really after if I pull on this banner? I'm looking at the featured relics but nothing's really jumping out that strongly.

I already have Excalibur VI though so maybe that's why?

It's a weird catchall of pretty good stuff. I might avoid it if you're after Agrias BSB or Ovelia's SSB, since both of those are on the great Orlandeau banner.

Maria's BSB and Eiko's BSB are probably the main draws, as well as the last chance for Celes's SSB in a while (Doesn't show up in the Locke/Celes event, but it'll probably be in our Ultros Select).

Vaan's OSB isn't impressive, but a 6* dagger is great for realms you have weak synergy in, and for the 5* Thief skills with improved multipliers when a dagger is equipped.

Other then those, Arc's SSB is holy boosting for Hope/Raines/physical characters who can equip robes for some reason/those offensive white mage BSBs and is one of the best non-BSB Medicas, Guy's Axe isn't that great unless you have an Earth BSB, and Bartz's Cloak is decent wind armor.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Dec 31, 2016

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
2/11 pull, hoping for Eiko, Agrias, or Celes, maybe Vaan.

Got Butz's cloak and Maria's bow, giving me an Enwind I'm not setup to make good use of and my first caster BSB of any kind. What's the thresholds for the 4th and 5th hits on Maria's first command?

My only other decent damage-dealing caster SB is terra's fire beam. Other than that I have stuff like Golbez's Rune Axe which is powercreeped as hell.

* or the Kuja relic I just got since it has quickcast, but I'd need haste from something else, like an OK BSB.

Crazy Larry posted:

3/11 gave me Eiko's BSB, Guy's axe and a third healing staff for Ovelia. A little bummed that I didn't get Maria's bow to give me my first mage BSB but I know Hamelin is a great healer BSB (and my first), and I now have an 8* healer stick to go alongside it. Guy's SSB is a little disappointing in isolation, but I guess it works as a stat stick for now and a good incentive to chase Maria's BSB on future banners.

I wanted Hamelin from the banner. I need a healer BSB so much. FFXIV please be generous to me for the love of god I want to stop relying on RWs for healing power. :pray:

Sprite141 posted:

Yeah. And hell, what else will you have vaan do? I mean 5* thief is pretty loving ace, but unless you have his bsb there's nothing to use his sb guages on. For ffxii cid mission content you have penelo or larsa for the full break, and you can bring mental break on vaan for the extra boost.

It's nowhere near what an elemental osb can pull of, but honestly for non-wreakness hitting coverage it's still perfectly fine.

As someone who uses Vaan constantly, even with his BSB you give him Ace Striker/Battleforged and he'll easily be able to sustain his BSB and its debuffs while getting an OSB or two built up in ult or harder fights IMO.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

pichupal posted:

While Axes are rare, most axe users have a good amount of alternatives for weapons so a 6* axe isn't that useful. Like, just taking a list of people who can equip axes but cannot equip swords gives you only Josef (Axes/Hammers/Fists), Cid (IV) (Axes/Hammers) and Raijin (Axes/Hammers/Spears/Fists), two of which aren't even out yet.

FF2 has five axe users (Firion, Guy, Leon, Ricard and Josef) so a second axe will be nicer. Leon with Knight 5/Darkness 5, and Josef with Support 4 can make good use of it.

It's a weird catchall of pretty good stuff. I might avoid it if you're after Agrias BSB or Ovelia's SSB, since both of those are on the great Orlandeau banner.

Maria's BSB and Eiko's BSB are probably the main draws, as well as the last chance for Celes's SSB in a while (Doesn't show up in the Locke/Celes event, but it'll probably be in our Ultros Select).

Vaan's OSB isn't impressive, but a 6* dagger is great for realms you have weak synergy in, and for the 5* Thief skills with improved multipliers when a dagger is equipped.

Other then those, Arc's SSB is holy boosting for Hope/Raines/physical characters who can equip robes for some reason/those offensive white mage BSBs and is one of the best non-BSB Medicas, Guy's Axe isn't that great unless you have an Earth BSB, and Bartz's Cloak is decent wind armor.

Thanks. I think that's enough info for me to skip it then. I have Mythril burning a hole in my pocket though :(

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

IllegallySober posted:

Thanks. I think that's enough info for me to skip it then. I have Mythril burning a hole in my pocket though :(

FFXIV is coming soon, as is FFT, and probably some nice 2nd anniversary banners.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

U-DO Burger posted:

Rinoa's, Ingus's, and Maria's. Lots and lots of earth.

Watching Maria hit the Ochu for 6x 9999 was a sight to behold. :love:
Yeah maybe keep an eye out for an earth imperil. Ingus with BSB will slot well enough into a mage party because of the self-buffing it provides, and he can carry breakdowns. Rinoa's BSB isn't so hot but a BSB is a BSB.

superloosegoose
Dec 26, 2008
"Aaugh aaugh aaaugh"
- Tim Allen

I wanted that OSB but this is ok. I have bartz cloak already but that's a welcome dupe for my increasingly nasty wind team...

superloosegoose fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Dec 31, 2016

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

superloosegoose posted:

"Aaugh aaugh aaaugh"
- Tim Allen

I wanted that OSB but this is ok.

:stare:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

went one for 11 on the banner

the one was agrias' burst, who i already have cleansing strike and hallowed bolt for, as well as beatrix's burst to team up with her

i'm ok with this

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Cowcaster posted:

went one for 11 on the banner

the one was agrias' burst, who i already have cleansing strike and hallowed bolt for, as well as beatrix's burst to team up with her

i'm ok with this

I wish I had something for Beatrix, she's cool. Maybe soon :(

Agrias, who is also cool, is my main holy knight though so its all good.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
My holy A-Team is Agrias (Cleansing Strike), Beatrix (Seiken Shock/Knight Protector), Ramza (Shout), Pecil (Paladin Force), and Eiko (Prayer of the Lost). It is glorious until going up against things strong to holy or which are ranged damage only. Depending on the boss, I can also swap in Vaan with his BSB.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...
11-pull got me duplicate white mage robe and duplicate Excalibur VI for Celes (my only 2 duplicates on the banner, so of course it gives me those) and a new Maria BSB which is very nice. I can't complain.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Must... remain... strong... for... Orlandeau...

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Evil Fluffy posted:

FFXIV is coming soon, as is FFT, and probably some nice 2nd anniversary banners.

2nd Anniversary isn't until the end of March, there's plenty of time to save back up for that.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

So I'm rearranging my Mage Team with the recent acquisition of Quistis' BSB and I'm having a bit of a dilemma on how to fill this party.

Scenario #1:

Maria: Stoneja/Chain Stonega, Ace Striker RM
Quistis: ???/Wrath, Devotion RM
Yuffie: Ninja Magic/Dances, Battleforged RM
Krile: Firaja/Chain Firaga, Mako Might RM
Selphie: Curaja/Proshellga, Dr. Mog's RM

This is the setup that lets Maria get 6 hits from Break without a MAG RM. Yuffie bring her medica to free up Selphie for using BSB instead of her medica SSB. This setup has the maximum damage potential thanks to Strange Vision and Sheepsong stacking. Maria and Quistis spam bursts, Yuffie builds gauge through ninja magic weakness to fuel medicas as well as supports with a relevant dance, Krile provides sheepsong and more magic damage, Selphie provides Strange Vision and healing/mitigation.

Scenario #2:

Maria: Weakness Exploiting, Defiant Archer RM
Quistis: ???/Wrath, Devotion RM
Strago: Magic/Summons, Mako Might RM
Krile: Firaja/Chain Firaga, Dr. Mog's RM
Vanille/Minwu/Yuna/Ovelia/Selphie: Curaja/Proshellga, Battleforged RM

Maria has to use a MAG RM to get 6 hits of Break, and thus will build gauge pretty slowly when there's no weaknesses to exploit. This setup also gives up a bit of support access for Strago's Mighty Guard VI which provides a huge amount of magical mitigation that will stack with a Wall RW. I have a billion options for a healer with a good medica on hand in the last slot.

Both setups are appealing but I'm not sure which one will perform better. My main worry is how slow Maria will build her SB up without lifesiphon or wrath access.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

superloosegoose posted:

"Aaugh aaugh aaaugh"
- Tim Allen

I wanted that OSB but this is ok. I have bartz cloak already but that's a welcome dupe for my increasingly nasty wind team...

Why don't I ever get pulls like this?

At any rate I went 2/11 with Agrias' BSB and Celescalibur. I'm ok with that. I've wanted Celescalibur for a long time, and I love me some Agrias. Her BSB is completely duplicative with Beatrix' BSB that I also have, but when imperil stacking arrives... :getin:

Man a couple months ago I didn't have a single holy sword. I have now pulled 8: Firion's, Butz' x2, Celes', Steiner's x2, Beatrix's, and Agrias'. So many holy swords.

Still would've killed for the OSB or Maria or Eiko's BSBs, though...

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Both setups are appealing but I'm not sure which one will perform better. My main worry is how slow Maria will build her SB up without lifesiphon or wrath access.

If you RW something like Vessel of Fate, you can actually drop either Sheepsong or Strange Vision and Maria will still be able to get six hits. At L99, she just needs about 175 MAG from her equipment before Record Spheres. Even if your best mage weapon is the Rune-Graven Bow, that plus a decent bracer and a +30 MAG accessory will get her there.

Piebald Hell
Apr 22, 2008
Hm. My team at present have broken their level limits for the first time already, I'm so proud. :3: Terra's actually 67/80 right now even! (the others are, at present, Lenna at 51, Tidus at 53, Celes at 53 and Tyro at 57)

I've been dawdling on making anything out of my piles of farmed orbs though... what skills are top priority? Like, which break(down) should I worry about the orbs for first? Are the dancer-class AOE break reskins worth it?

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Whatcha reckon is better, Lenna with her medica+ high regen and medica+ resistance, or Arc with instant medica + phys blink?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Did an 11-pull and got 2x Ovelia's medica. I wanted it and I'm glad I got it, but I'm also a bit sad I didn't get either of the Excaliburs.

Also, I am a huge idiot and somehow forgot about the 6* record dive abilities from way back when, so now I have an R2 Aegis Strike and am just a few power crystals away from R2 Snowblind Strike. Are there any sources of crystals outside of Ultimates and breaking down record dive abilities?

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT
High Regen beats physical blink imo, but yeah that instant cast is very very handy.

If the boss has a predisposition to slamming multiple party destroying AoE, instant medics panic button is probably best bet.

If you're running wall + proshellga, I'd homburg Lenna's regen medica but this is just one opinion

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Charles Bukowski posted:

Whatcha reckon is better, Lenna with her medica+ high regen and medica+ resistance, or Arc with instant medica + phys blink?

I'd go with Arc. Instant cast + curaga strength healing is an amazing combo, even if you're not getting much use out of the pblink. And if it is a physical fight, then it's insane.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Piebald Hell posted:

Hm. My team at present have broken their level limits for the first time already, I'm so proud. :3: Terra's actually 67/80 right now even! (the others are, at present, Lenna at 51, Tidus at 53, Celes at 53 and Tyro at 57)

I've been dawdling on making anything out of my piles of farmed orbs though... what skills are top priority? Like, which break(down) should I worry about the orbs for first? Are the dancer-class AOE break reskins worth it?
Magic and Power Breakdown are the most important support skills to get (other than Full Break which is absolute top priority but also requires major orbs). You also want Protectga and Shellga r1 (maybe r2 later when you can afford it, as a luxury), Curaja, lifesiphon for any physical people you have good SBs for, and then from there just sort of ask which skills are good. You get some skills (like Launch or something) that are just old and outdated and shouldn't be made. Ruinga is great for farming dailies/orbfest, and Drainga/Drain Sword are nice for neutral options. For Celes, you can stick with the 3* elemental spellblades for now, they're cheaper to make and hone than the 4* ones and not much weaker at all.

The dances are fine but mostly useful for AoE ultimate fights, which are...something you won't be dealing with for a while yet. Dancer is a pretty rare skillset so they aren't a huge priority right now.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Drainga is dark elemental, not neutral. It also vies for 4* black magic dark damage with darkra, which uses less greater darks. The healing ontop of drainga is super nice though. But when I was honing up my 4* stuff before 5*'s were really worthwhile I just made darkra as I needed the dark orbs elsewhere.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Three pulls on banner 3. First pull: 1/11 Arc's Robe. Augh. Second Pull: 2/11 Arc's Robe and Ovelia's staff. AUGH. Pull 3: Maria's BSB and Ovelia's staff. Suddenly the pain is gone.

Totally worth it.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

How high do you guys take your breakdowns? I've seen people saying it isn't worth going above R2 for Power Breakdown and 3 for Magic Breakdown just because the latter is relevant more often and you probably won't have a fight go long enough to need more than 4 uses anyway, but I'm not sure. Power orbs are always in constant demand for me so I'd hate to use them if I don't need to. So far I've been fine with Power BD and Magic BD at R2 and 3 respectively, and I'm clearing U+ and U++ pretty consistently, so I guess it isn't needed, but I'm not sure if that changes down the line.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

How high do you guys take your breakdowns? I've seen people saying it isn't worth going above R2 for Power Breakdown and 3 for Magic Breakdown just because the latter is relevant more often and you probably won't have a fight go long enough to need more than 4 uses anyway, but I'm not sure. Power orbs are always in constant demand for me so I'd hate to use them if I don't need to. So far I've been fine without them and I'm clearing U+ and U++ pretty consistently, so I guess it isn't needed, but I'm not sure if that changes down the line.

if it's killing the bosses, don't worry about it

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
My breakdowns are R4 but thats just how I wanted them. I don't like making regular attacks.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
General rule of thumb is to wait until you hit a wall in content before making new abilities or honing up old ones. If you're not running out of uses so far, don't worry about it until you do.

I've thought a little about honing Full Break to R3 just because my support always brings it in, and there have been a couple of long fights that end with him just attacking once or twice, but it's definitely not been enough of a concern to use those orbs.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
all my breakdowns are r4

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Dollar pulled Excalibur VI

I'm going to sit the rest of OSBfest out, I think I burned all of my luck on that pull.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

Piebald Hell posted:

There's a lot of chaff out there so this guide could probably help stop you from wasting a bunch of orbs on bonecrusher or something. https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/4hbewc/expanding_your_options_endgame_ability_creation/

By the time you get enough to start making a lot of 5 star abilities you should have a solid grasp on what your focus should be: Saint's Cross if you have a lot of knight soul breaks, Thief's Revenge if you have a lot of thief soul breaks, etcetera.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

HPanda posted:

My holy A-Team is Agrias (Cleansing Strike), Beatrix (Seiken Shock/Knight Protector), Ramza (Shout), Pecil (Paladin Force), and Eiko (Prayer of the Lost). It is glorious until going up against things strong to holy or which are ranged damage only. Depending on the boss, I can also swap in Vaan with his BSB.

Sup mirror match A-Team buddy? Burn in holy fire

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Was really debating on pulling on this banner. The only thing I really wanted was Hamelin and I already had Maria's bow and Ovelia's staff.

Pulled anyway and got both Excaliburs which is okay I guess. Agrias' burst is identical to Beatrix's burst which I already have? How strange

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
Just saw this from the JP FFRK twitter:

Is this the first time a timer has been used in a battle?

YoshiOfYellow posted:

So I'm rearranging my Mage Team with the recent acquisition of Quistis' BSB and I'm having a bit of a dilemma on how to fill this party.
I'm still running a Support character for Breakdown + Full Break on my mage team but don't know if that's standard. Your teams, other than Dances on Yuffie, and someone else's recommendation a few pages ago skipped over using mitigation on enemies.

I'm currently using Tyro with SG + healer of choice but am thinking about trying Ramza with medica + Y'Shtola since I just pulled her wall.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

iPodschun posted:

Just saw this from the JP FFRK twitter:

Is this the first time a timer has been used in a battle?

god i hope it's just a timer that runs game-time from battle start so we have a chance of keeping track of buffs

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAqbSmEqdgU&t=270s

Please enjoy Cloud doing :siren:320k damage with his BSB2 entry:siren:

Gear + relics are whale as hell but this is the sort of thing that is attainable now with Cloud's USB.

Beasteh fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Dec 31, 2016

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Prav posted:

god i hope it's just a timer that runs game-time from battle start so we have a chance of keeping track of buffs

Looks like it is this for a different reason - the text at the bottom includes "clear time" and "ranking" so it looks like they're having a speedbattling competition?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

:wrong: :coffeepal:
Any advice on who to use the memory crystal 3 on ?

Cloud is my only MC3'ed character, of my regular line up of level 80s ;

Beatrix has a Lightbringer burst weapon
Bartz has an excalibur SSB and Bartz' cloak
Terra has a startdust rod burst weapon
Yshtola has an omnirod SSB and the stoneskin II SSB memorized, and healers robe unique
Yuna has a full metal rod SSB
Steiner has his excalibur SSB
Laguna has machine gun SSB
Zidane has a rank6 Orichalcum SSB dagger
Yda has Sphairai SSB
Vivi has the double cast poison and meteor uniques
Gilgamesh has Zantetsuken SSB

those are my regulars, which are really only regulars because SSBs are too powerful to swap out for a character with realm bonuses but no useful specials.

Of that list what would anyone suggest I use my MC3 on to help push me towards being strong enough to reliably unlock MC3s in the future

• Locked thread