Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Deviant posted:

Having rewatched the FPSVeteran video with my hand size more in mind (19cm x 10cm), I'm looking into the following:

In order of interest

Deathadder Elite
G403 Wired
Steelseries Rival 300
Zowie EC1-A
Zowie FK1 (I don't love ambidex buttons)

Any thoughts? I'm the biggest fan of Logitech's software, and the Zowies look like they have that really hard plastic that I don't much care for.

Does Razer's software do per-game profiles with autodetection?
IIRC, the actuation on the EC1-A buttons felt really, really off. Clicking frequently felt difficult compared to the buttons on a Logitech mouse. I've used Logitech my entire life, so maybe I'm just too used to their great mouse switches.

A lot of people love it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

ufarn posted:

IIRC, the actuation on the EC1-A buttons felt really, really off. Clicking frequently felt difficult compared to the buttons on a Logitech mouse. I've used Logitech my entire life, so maybe I'm just too used to their great mouse switches.

A lot of people love it, though.

Yeah, I'm really between the DA and the 403. I need to put hands on the 403 if they have it in stock at Best Buy, and also it's gonna come down to the software.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Can only comment on the EC1-A vs Rival 300 but they're both super products. They resemble each other a lot in shape and buttons, the biggest difference being the 300 gets a little narrower in the front, and the feet on the EC1-A are larger meaning it has a little more friction moving it around. Very much a personal preference thing.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Deviant posted:

Yeah, I'm really between the DA and the 403. I need to put hands on the 403 if they have it in stock at Best Buy, and also it's gonna come down to the software.
Try the G403 immediately. I thought I was going to love it but it just didn't suit my grip in my current desk setup and it's a bit steep at its vertical peak. If I changed my available mouse area, I'd definitely try it again. Very well designed.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

TheRationalRedditor posted:

And as RBX noted it''s even funnier because you're coming directly from a G500, one of the ugliest HEY GAMERZ!!! designs they ever created. It literally had an orange plastic waffle tray that shoots out from the bottom meant to be filled with a grid of smarties-sized gram weights. It doesn't get more silly than that and you bought it regardless and are fondly seeking its successor.

How often are you looking at the bottom of your mouse, exactly?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

dont be mean to me posted:

How often are you looking at the bottom of your mouse, exactly?

That ball isn't going to clean itself.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Anyone have a suggestion for a presenter that can do keyboard left/right inputs on Windows? I don't care if it requires software so long as the software is provided by the producer.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Okay, so the Deathadder Elite is exactly what I want, but its exe detection and auto-remapping is a tad lacking. It takes a few seconds to realize I've changed apps, and doesn't allow a "Default" to be set, so I'd have to map it for Windows Explorer.exe, Chrome, etc.

Is there a better piece of software that will detect what app i'm currently tabbed into and remap the mouse to a profile?

Does XBMC do that?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

How in the world is it that my few years old G700 has an expected battery life of 8-10 hours but the Logitech's newest line? (G602) boasts 250 hours of battery life? (And why does their numbering convention make no sense)

My current mouse is fine, but it's been a mild annoyance having the battery die before I'm done with my computer for the day.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 21, 2016

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Oxyclean posted:

How in the world is it that my few years old G700 has an expected battery life of 8-10 hours but the Logitech's newest line? (G602) boasts 250 hours of battery life? (And why does their numbering convention make no sense)

My current mouse is fine, but it's been a mild annoyance having the battery die before I'm done with my computer for the day.

g602 has a lower report rate, uses 2 AAs which are very heavy, and has a different kind of sensor

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

emdash posted:

g602 has a lower report rate, uses 2 AAs which are very heavy, and has a different kind of sensor

The G602 works fine with a single battery installed. Battery life probably suffers but not the the extent it matters.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
oh woops i mistakenly thought the g700 had a built-in proprietary battery like the g900. it's mostly down to the more power-hungry sensor and report rate then, i guess

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I have a G500 right now that is starting to wear down. I get random double clicks or non responses occasionally from it.

I'm looking to replace it with something that:

1. Is comfortable to use. I feel my hands are slightly crunched together while holding the mouse
2. Fairly precise. I'll play the occasional shooter so I don't want that to suffer
3. At least 3 side buttons (front, middle and back). What is on the G500 is perfect.

No particular budget. If the mouse is right I'll spend what I need to. I use the drat thing enough.

EDIT: After looking at the review video posted on the other page, I'm looking for a mouse with "Wings" to rest my pinky. The Corsair Sabre didn't really "WoW' me based on his review. Does anyone have any thoughts on it? or an alternate recommendation?

m.hache fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 22, 2016

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Just traded in my Corsair RGB M65 Pro for a Logitech G403 and wow, what a beautiful mouse. Still getting used to the light weight (every mouse before this (G5, G9X, etc) I've always made purposely heavy as possible.)

Out of curiosity, I noticed that FPSvet often mentions his preference for the LMB and RMB being their own pieces separate from the shell. Why is this?

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
because they're easier to press and faster to actuate overall

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

I'm selling a very lightly used Artisan Hayate Otsu Mid Large mouse pad in SA-Mart. It has a few issues (small crease from shipping damage and I sanded the super sharp edge because it was bothering my wrists). Just in case anyone is interested in trying an Artisan pad for cheaper than normal and not worry about shipping from Japan.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803217

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

m.hache posted:

I have a G500 right now that is starting to wear down. I get random double clicks or non responses occasionally from it.

I'm looking to replace it with something that:

1. Is comfortable to use. I feel my hands are slightly crunched together while holding the mouse
2. Fairly precise. I'll play the occasional shooter so I don't want that to suffer
3. At least 3 side buttons (front, middle and back). What is on the G500 is perfect.

No particular budget. If the mouse is right I'll spend what I need to. I use the drat thing enough.

EDIT: After looking at the review video posted on the other page, I'm looking for a mouse with "Wings" to rest my pinky. The Corsair Sabre didn't really "WoW' me based on his review. Does anyone have any thoughts on it? or an alternate recommendation?

Try the G502 at a Best Buy or a Fry's or something. It has that pinky wing and side buttons. It also has a pretty decent sensor. It's not for everyone though so try it out before you buy it.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
i've started to use a dremel tool on my g502 to cut the weight down.

I'm at 93g without gutting out any features, it feels pretty niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

everythingWasBees posted:

Try the G502 at a Best Buy or a Fry's or something. It has that pinky wing

Uhhh no, no it doesn't. Its a narrow mouse as well. As for the sensor, its pretty much the best on the market.
That said coming from a G500, the G502 will feel similar but different, but its not wider and probably won't change your grip on it.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I picked up the Corsair Sabre RGB. Fits nicely in my hand and feels way lighter than my last mouse.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
My g9x died on me after five years and I didn't feel like shelling out lots of money so I went for the "Titanwolf USB Lasermouse" for around 40 EUR/$. This being a China-Mouse the same thing exists as the "UtechSmart Venus 50" with a different logo (but you get additional mouse feet) and at least one more brand. What can I say, the package looked nice, the mouse feels okay. The software is not fancy but works (Win 10). Omron switches get the job done. Turned the lights off (can't turn off mousewheel-light though as it indicates the colour-coded profile) and it even looks decent (if you ignore the red cable, get the venus if you want a black one).
So far I'm quite happy.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
I received a replacement for my DM 1 Pro S which has "tested" written on it, but it has the same left click sticky click issue that the first one I bought has, so I guess I'm not using it either. Also, my Nixeus Revel arrived and as far as I can tell it's basically better than the DM1 Pro S in every regard. They're almost the same (both Sensei clones), but the Revel actually has a rubber cable, ongoing software support and the clicks feel better than the DM1 Pro S. Unfortunate as the DM1 has the best mouse feet I've come across on any mouse.

I've also started warming up to the Finalmouse Scream One. It had a rough launch but they've released a firmware upgrade for it, aside from misfiring if the mouse is slammed on the desk it's quite nice. Good clicks, really nice shape. Only thing I dislike is the scroll wheel, in that it's so sensitive that it sometimes scrolls upwards while scrolling down. Otherwise it's probably one of my favourite mice, even if Finalmouse still has QC issues to deal with, but I don't think the mouse will last too long.

I also ordered 2 Zowie FK2s from a UK store because someone on eBay told me they were the previous models (white logo, white scroll wheel) as pictured, and what I received were two new versions with the red logo/black scroll wheel, so I'm in the process of getting a refund. The boxes were also slightly damaged. If anyone has any white logo Zowie mice they'd like to get rid of, let me know. I'm basically collecting mice at this point (2x G303, G900, G502, G Pro, G403, Revel, 2x DM1 Pro S, Rival 300, Finalmouse S1, Rapoo V300, EC2-A, 2x FK2 to return... etc.)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I've been using a basic mouse (Logitech M500) for the last 8 years, and I'm finally getting something nice. I've got massive hands (8 1/4" L 5"w/ 21cm x 12cm), so size has been my main concern. Here's the short list:

G403 wired - Logitech's done me good, and everyone seems to love it. Wish I could buy a version without the :rice: lighting that I'll just turn off, but I guess that's par for the course for ~~gamer mice~~. On sale right now on Amazon, making it the cheapest of the bunch.
Zowie ZA11/EC1-A/FK1+ - RJN seems to like them all, and they all look pretty similar; is there anything to really choose between them?
Razer Deathadder Elite/Chroma: Elite isn't out yet and costs $70, Chroma is out of stock and is the same price as the 403.

Like I said, I've got these giant meathooks, have any fellow neanderthals used those to comment? Also, one feature I really like on my current mouse is the toggle-able free scroll, it's something I really miss on other mice that don't have it; any of the ones on my list have that feature?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

For big hands i'd say Zowie FK1+, G403, Deathadder, or G900. Try them out if you can, don't be afraid to return if you don't like one. That's what i did and went through 3 mice before choosing.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Horizontal Tree posted:

Uhhh no, no it doesn't. Its a narrow mouse as well. As for the sensor, its pretty much the best on the market.
That said coming from a G500, the G502 will feel similar but different, but its not wider and probably won't change your grip on it.

:doh: I was half asleep when I wrote that, it has a thumb wing, not a pinky wing.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Enourmo posted:

I've been using a basic mouse (Logitech M500) for the last 8 years, and I'm finally getting something nice. I've got massive hands (8 1/4" L 5"w/ 21cm x 12cm), so size has been my main concern. Here's the short list:

G403 wired - Logitech's done me good, and everyone seems to love it. Wish I could buy a version without the :rice: lighting that I'll just turn off, but I guess that's par for the course for ~~gamer mice~~. On sale right now on Amazon, making it the cheapest of the bunch.
Zowie ZA11/EC1-A/FK1+ - RJN seems to like them all, and they all look pretty similar; is there anything to really choose between them?
Razer Deathadder Elite/Chroma: Elite isn't out yet and costs $70, Chroma is out of stock and is the same price as the 403.

Like I said, I've got these giant meathooks, have any fellow neanderthals used those to comment? Also, one feature I really like on my current mouse is the toggle-able free scroll, it's something I really miss on other mice that don't have it; any of the ones on my list have that feature?

I've got biggish hands and like to palm grip and I found the deathadder to be uncomfortably low. The SS rival and zowie ec-1 otoh fit me perfectly.

Only logitechs have the freescroll function to my knowledge

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

The G403 is really nice, and the hump isn't as low as the above mentioned mouse. Doesn't have free scroll. If you do go for it, though, I recommend the wireless version.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Wireless G403 is the poo poo.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
What are my options for Bluetooth mice?

Everyday, not travel.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Get something with a USB dongle, not bluetooth, if it is at all an option.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Horizontal Tree posted:

Get something with a USB dongle, not bluetooth, if it is at all an option.

This, unfortunately.

The short version is that while (contrary to popular belief) Bluetooth is 100% capable of doing everything USB does, including 1000Hz updates, for a variety of reasons no one actually has implemented a mouse which uses Bluetooth to the fullest. The best wireless mice always use proprietary wireless communications, while Bluetooth is mostly relegated to tiny terrible "travel mice".

The Logitech MX Master is one of the few high quality full-size Bluetooth mice I'm aware of, but I'm pretty sure it still limits its capabilities in Bluetooth mode compared to using the proprietary dongle.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

wolrah posted:

The short version is that while (contrary to popular belief) Bluetooth is 100% capable of doing everything USB does, including 1000Hz updates, for a variety of reasons no one actually has implemented a mouse which uses Bluetooth to the fullest. The best wireless mice always use proprietary wireless communications, while Bluetooth is mostly relegated to tiny terrible "travel mice".

Yeah, I noticed.

Logitech has to be making bank with the MX Master.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The wireless 403 is $80 even after discount, and I've got an irrational bias against wireless mice; my first experience was with a 2000-era wireless ball mouse that had terrible connectivity and chewed through AA batteries, and even though logically I know that's about as relevant to modern hardware as a Model T, I can't help but side-eye them to this day.

Is the wireless experience that much better to justify the expense?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

It's the same as wired, perfect.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
I'm selling my wired G403 for $50 shipped. Used for a few days and didn't like the grip.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Enourmo posted:

The wireless 403 is $80 even after discount, and I've got an irrational bias against wireless mice; my first experience was with a 2000-era wireless ball mouse that had terrible connectivity and chewed through AA batteries, and even though logically I know that's about as relevant to modern hardware as a Model T, I can't help but side-eye them to this day.

I was in the same boat as you and held out for a long time before I finally gave wireless another go last year, with a cheap simple five button Logitech whose model number I don't even know or remember. That was last May and I've only changed the batteries once. You have to keep it within 5-6 feet of the computer before it starts fritzing (so in other words it has about the same range as a wired mouse) but otherwise it works great and wireless is very nice.

gently caress wireless keyboards though.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Enourmo posted:

The G403 is exactly the same as using a very nice wired mouse, but half the time you don't actually have a wire on your desk. You can also keep the USB dongle on the end of the cable when its not in the mouse, if you want to keep it closer to the mouse.
My desk setup means I have drag on my mouse cable and its something I wasn't noticing very much at all until it wasn't there all the time. I use mine all day and just plug it in at night, or if I forget to do that and the battery starts to go low before I go to bed, I'll just plug it in when I walk away to eat or something, it charges up very quickly. I'm using it for medium/high tier FPS gaming with no issues.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Enourmo posted:

It looks like the 403 can be switched to wired the same as my 700S. If that's the case it's a win-win. You get all the convenience of wireless when you want it, but can go wired at any time. For the additional $20 that's a no-brainer if you've ever been annoyed by the wire.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I've been using this cheapo mouse at work lately. I love the shape of it and everything, but after about a month the scroll wheel gets super broken. It will jump around on a page randomly, especially when middle clicking, and often scroll too far, making it pretty unusable. Is there another mouse out there that has a similar form factor but doesn't have crap components? The main thing is that it's about 45 degrees (instead of the typical 90 degrees of most vertical mice) and fairly small, making the whole mouse shorter, I can't stand those super tall vertical mice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Jehde posted:

I've been using this cheapo mouse at work lately. I love the shape of it and everything, but after about a month the scroll wheel gets super broken. It will jump around on a page randomly, especially when middle clicking, and often scroll too far, making it pretty unusable. Is there another mouse out there that has a similar form factor but doesn't have crap components? The main thing is that it's about 45 degrees (instead of the typical 90 degrees of most vertical mice) and fairly small, making the whole mouse shorter, I can't stand those super tall vertical mice.

Try Anker's mice.