Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Merge Plugins now supports SSE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

KKKLIP ART posted:

I was loading a save, I'm like 20 hours into. I can start a new game but that would stink pretty bad.

If you had other mods installed but have since disabled, do not do that. Go back and re-enable those mods.

MinorRed
Jul 27, 2011

KKKLIP ART posted:

I was loading a save, I'm like 20 hours into. I can start a new game but that would stink pretty bad.

You just start a new game to find out which mods conflict. Once you've got it sorted out, you can go back to your old save.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Most mods tend to leave aftereffects in save files, so if you decide to change up your mod setup (notably in the sense of removing a mod; adding them is typically more painless), such as to resolve a crash conflict, you may still encounter issues with older saves from before that change. By all means, try to keep using those saves but if you still run into problems with them but you don't run into problems any more with a fresh save, it's pretty clear what you need to do.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
Clockwork Castle is pretty great. I legit needed to put it down midway through since I am a scared babby.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I finished up Wheels of Lull last night. Was super rad but man I take issue with "gameplay is going back and forth through platforming sections with damaging balls that fly back and forth across the screen" ideas especially when there is no ingame justification for them. Taken with the fact that it doesn't look like trainwiz converted it to SSE properly as I ran into a few exploding meshes and had to use the console to get past a few different puzzles because of some hit box scaling bug with a certain fight toward the end. I also don't really like the 'no you cant use your powers you have to play it THIS WAY' sort of design as that runs counter to how Bethesda games tend to play. But man, the characters, voice acting and lore dumping owns and the visual design was great. The very last boss fight was wicked cool looking too even if it was a bit shallow.

EDIT

I also went and converted JK's Skyrim to SSE, the complete version as seen here.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Dec 30, 2016

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
Does anyone know of a converted version of Interesting NPCs that is known to be working? I don't want to try to do it myself, get deep into a playthrough, and find out I hosed something up.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Kenlon posted:

Does anyone know of a converted version of Interesting NPCs that is known to be working? I don't want to try to do it myself, get deep into a playthrough, and find out I hosed something up.

There's an SSE alpha available on their site.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

KakerMix posted:

I finished up Wheels of Lull last night. Was super rad but man I take issue with "gameplay is going back and forth through platforming sections with damaging balls that fly back and forth across the screen" ideas especially when there is no ingame justification for them. Taken with the fact that it doesn't look like trainwiz converted it to SSE properly as I ran into a few exploding meshes and had to use the console to get past a few different puzzles because of some hit box scaling bug with a certain fight toward the end. I also don't really like the 'no you cant use your powers you have to play it THIS WAY' sort of design as that runs counter to how Bethesda games tend to play. But man, the characters, voice acting and lore dumping owns and the visual design was great. The very last boss fight was wicked cool looking too even if it was a bit shallow.

EDIT

I also went and converted JK's Skyrim to SSE, the complete version as seen here.

i really want to get the full version of this for Open Cities, what did you do to convert this? Open in CK, then patch in SSEdit?

With FPS no longer an issue for SSE, Open Cities is the way to go. Something about walking into Whiterun for the first time and not having to see a loading screen is really, really rad and reminds me of the Witcher games.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Gyshall posted:

i really want to get the full version of this for Open Cities, what did you do to convert this? Open in CK, then patch in SSEdit?

With FPS no longer an issue for SSE, Open Cities is the way to go. Something about walking into Whiterun for the first time and not having to see a loading screen is really, really rad and reminds me of the Witcher games.

Yeah you just add it to your game with NMM, load up CK and set it as active, change a thing and then undo or cancel that change to let the CK allow you to save and then save it. Then I unpack the .bsa (if it has it) and run the .nif optimizer on the meshes then use archive.exe under the "tools" folder of my SSE install (the one NOT in data, the one you get for installing the CK), verify the directory in the .bsa is good and then put it together with the mod file I pulled out of my data folder because that's where the CK puts it, combine them in a zip/7zip/rar file and then load *that* one in my game, open up xEdit and verify that it has the right header (44) and then load the game and see if it works.

I haven't actually done any editing within the creation kit at all yet so I couldn't tell you what it's like to try to drag and drop the JK stuff in the open cities cell. I don't imagine it would be too bad as the JK Cities thing was all about using vanilla assets and no scripts.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
For Ordinator Perk Mod in SSE... do Block and Heavy Armor perks have anti-synergy?

For example, from heavy armor:

quote:

40 - Defiance - You are trained to deflect incoming attacks while wearing all Heavy Armor. Whenever an enemy attacks you, you gain 15 points of armor rating for 10 seconds. This effect stacks.

Do "attacks" register as when the villain makes damage contact with the hero? Or are attacks registered as the moment the villain begins the swing of the attack?

So if hero dodges or shield blocks an attack, does the Defiance perk proc or not proc?

Again with

quote:

60 - Never Kneel - If wearing all Heavy Armor, take 30% less attack damage from power attacks.
Does this combine/stack with reduction in damage from blocking?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 30, 2016

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
I've converted another mod over, this time it's Immersive Weapons. Oldrim description page can be found here.
This one was pretty involved, had to convert dirty and badly compressed textures, convert the animations, convert the .nifs and then make sure that when you scrolled through the Dwarven smiting category that you wouldn't crash :v:
Luckily the tools allow everything I just said to be more or less automated.

Was looking for other mods to convert that haven't been and spotted a popular one and was all about to get down and dirty.

how goddamned embarrasing

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 31, 2016

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Is Mod Organizer SE good enough to just go with it? I've been patiently waiting for them to hammer out whatever bugs there presumably were. Should I dive down the rabbit hole this weekend?

edit: to rephrase, I've used MO on regular Skyrim before, just wondering if specifically MO is good enough to use with SE now!

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 31, 2016

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Is Mod Organizer SE good enough to just go with it? I've been patiently waiting for them to hammer out whatever bugs there presumably were. Should I dive down the rabbit hole this weekend?

There was a link to a reddit "Noob guide on how to mod SSE" earlier in this thread. I had a couple questions, but it is really easy to use. The second time I went through the modding process it took me like 1/3rd the time.

The guide recommended LOOT, NMM, some Editor (TES5Edit), and Wyre Bash.

I have not experienced any issues in ~4 hours of gaming.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

ThaumPenguin posted:

There's an SSE alpha available on their site.

And there's comments on that post from people who are having crash issues and such. I was just hoping there was a better conversion of the mod out there.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Kenlon posted:

And there's comments on that post from people who are having crash issues and such. I was just hoping there was a better conversion of the mod out there.

I've had this in my 20+ hour game and have not had any issues so. Annecdotes.

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016
The reddit starter modding guide was waaaaaay too intense for me to bother with. I got Mod Organizer for SE, got a bunch of interesting mods, couldn't get LOOT to work via Mod Organizer so I just launched it. Everything works fine. Your mileage may vary obviously, especially with more complex modding, but the barrier for entry is way lower than it can seem with the billion insane programs to sort/patch/merge/re-patch-merge/bash/rehash everything.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Wait a minute, I know what mod's missing!

...can someone convert Uncle Sheogorath to a SE version? :shobon:

edit: oh, and is there a keybind to move left/right through, for instances, pages of the character creation menu? Or the system menu so I can save and quit without using the mouse? I assume my inventory will work the same way once I've got all my mods set up and currently I can't find one, which feels weird. W and S will scroll me up and down but A and D won't move me over? This feels like it isn't how regular edition worked, but I can't recall exactly why because it's been too long. It's not Better Message Box Controls (or Better Dialogue Controls), because I installed both of those but I also tried without them.

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Dec 31, 2016

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Academician Nomad posted:

The reddit starter modding guide was waaaaaay too intense for me to bother with. I got Mod Organizer for SE, got a bunch of interesting mods, couldn't get LOOT to work via Mod Organizer so I just launched it. Everything works fine. Your mileage may vary obviously, especially with more complex modding, but the barrier for entry is way lower than it can seem with the billion insane programs to sort/patch/merge/re-patch-merge/bash/rehash everything.

Modding in Skyrim/SSE works in the sense that you load the first mod and go on down the line until you get the last mod in your load order, which is the last to load. If your last mod modifies an NPC to give her a different sword than normal and another mod that also adds a different armor set for her in the middle of your load order then last mod's changes make it to your game and the one in the middle with the armor set? That doesn't happen and you end up with that NPC with the sword but not the armor. When people talk about 'bashed patch' and 'merged patch' (two separate concepts) they are talking about 'mods' that are really just containers for the whole stack of mods you have that merge all the changes between all the mods. Using that same example you'd use a merged patch that has both changes those two mods make meaning your NPC gets that sword and armor set. Using that concept it balloons out to where you have stacks of mods that make all sorts of changes to the same NPCs and towns and dungeons that then get merged into that single merged patch that then presents all those changes to your game. If you don't use a merged patch you only get the last change made by the last mod in the stack. Sure it works but it isn't working properly.
A bashed patch can be used for similar purposes too but personally I use it just to combine leveled list changes. If you have 5 mods that all add items to the random bandits that spawn in your game you have the same issue as above. The last mod loaded that changes something all the mods want to change wins and you only get those changes from that last mod. A bashed patch merges all those changes which means you can have those bandits spawn with weapons or armor or potions or ______ from a giant list that your bashedpatch provides for your game built on all the leveled list adding mods you fed it. Again, not using this works but you won't see the changes for any of the mods besides the one that was loaded last.

This stuff tends to matter only if you keep playing this dumb gay broken bad-combat game though.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Hey Kaker what software did you use for updating textures? I'm trying to make a SE friendly version of Weapons of the Third Era (I actually have to back-translate it from a French version because that's really all that's still available) and I want to make sure I do the textures right.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

If you don't mind living a little dangerously just go into beth.net and load up a bunch of mods. Then run LOOT to sort them.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Agents are GO! posted:

Hey Kaker what software did you use for updating textures? I'm trying to make a SE friendly version of Weapons of the Third Era (I actually have to back-translate it from a French version because that's really all that's still available) and I want to make sure I do the textures right.

"Right"? :v:

I've only converted/ran the textures from Immersive Weapons through Ordenator because while digging to see about SSE conversion a few people mentioned it working just fine. I guess the original textures from the 'Dwemer Control Rod' are no bueno for SSE but when ran through that optimizer it fixes it right up. Basically I just tried the texture optimizer just to see if it would work and it did. I haven't attempted any other mods with it though. The other two mods I converted don't seem to have any incorrect textures or issues so I didn't bother.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Are there any mods that let you sort your inventory by the combined weight of stacks of items? (So instead of 'hey, one of these Wolf Guts weighs 1 pound' getting sorted to the bottom I get 'HEY IDIOT YOU ARE CARRYING 300 WOLF GUTS NO WONDER YOU CAN'T MOVE' sorted to the top)?

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Wait a minute, I know what mod's missing!

...can someone convert Uncle Sheogorath to a SE version? :shobon:

It's been converted! Pretty recent addition, too.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Jade Rider posted:

It's been converted! Pretty recent addition, too.
Oh, awesome!

One more request: What's the best combat overhaul that absolutely 100% gets rid of the drat killcams? Alternative, a combat overhaul and also something to get rid of the killcams. I tried searching "killcam" but apparently that's not what the people on Nexus call them.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Oh, awesome!

One more request: What's the best combat overhaul that absolutely 100% gets rid of the drat killcams? Alternative, a combat overhaul and also something to get rid of the killcams. I tried searching "killcam" but apparently that's not what the people on Nexus call them.

I think they're called "killmoves."

Do you want them gone as in "not affecting you so you don't suddenly die to some bandit with a greatsword while at half health" or completely gone for everyone?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cernunnos posted:

I think they're called "killmoves."

Do you want them gone as in "not affecting you so you don't suddenly die to some bandit with a greatsword while at half health" or completely gone for everyone?
Completely gone for everyone. I actually more hate the gameplay effect of my own having one, but also not randomly getting ganked would be nice!

(I did try killmove as well as a few other things, couldn't find one that just removed them all for SE.)

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Completely gone for everyone. I actually more hate the gameplay effect of my own having one, but also not randomly getting ganked would be nice!

(I did try killmove as well as a few other things, couldn't find one that just removed them all for SE.)

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/668/

A little bit more than what you are after but it does allow you to kill them for everyone including yourself.

EDIT
Also I guess the Skywind team cracked some code about animations in Bethesda games?
https://tesrenewal.com/blog/blog-post-december-2016

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 1, 2017

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.
Found a couple of new mods that I hadn't known about and felt they were worth sharing. I'm don't believe they've been listed throughout the thread, but if so, eh, whatever. Look at it again...

First up is Legendary Cities TEA Arena. from the site:
This mod adds ten historical cities to Skyrim present in TES:Arena, This game was the first Elders Scrolls and present us all the provinces of the empire, whith all his cities. Skyrim was a large province, wherw cities and town are common so, im try to remade this adding some tows and cities in a lore fiendly way to TES V, Skyrim."
Adds a number of cities and villages from TES lore, which I really have no clue about. They look very nice, and is a great alternative to slagging through empty plains. "Ah, a fort. Nice, a smith...ooh, a treasury house, I'll be back at midnight". That city had a short side quest. Dialogue isn't voiced, but it doesn't matter, really.

The second one I installed last night, and so far I'm reeeeeally liking it. Improved Artifact Collection. "This collection of mods aims to fix these problems by improving several of the artifacts in Skyrim. In some cases the mod will improve several artifacts, and some mods also add new artifacts to the world of Skyrim. The mods are all designed to be balanced and lore friendly, and they have been cleaned with TES5Edit."
Just finished the College quests, here's the artifacts I encountered:
Sarthaal Amulet - old enchantment makes all spells 3% cheaper. Meh. New enchantment gives 25% spell absorption.
Gauldur Amulet piece on Jyrik - old: Fortifies 30 points of Magicka. New - Fortifies Health and Magicka by 25 points. Spells and power attacks have a 10% lower cost.
Ancient Helmet of the Unburned - old: Increases Fire Resistance by 40%. New: Enchantment: Grants you the Unburned Aegis which, when summoned by offensive fire spells, makes you immune to fire damage. The Unburned Aegis only comes into effect once you've been hit by an offensive fire spell. Once summoned, the Aegis will remain with you for 30 seconds, during which time you are immune to fire damage. The drawback is that you still have to take the full brunt of the first fire spell that summons the Aegis.
Staff of Magnus - old: continuous beam, Absorb 20 magicka per second. If the target has no magicka, absorbs health instead. New: projectile shot, Drains X points of health, Y points of which is absorbed by you. Absorbs magicka when equipped.
When equipped and unsheathed, the Staff of Magnus will absorb 12 point of Magicka per second from all nearby enemy targets whenever your magicka is depleted. The effect will not alert enemies to your presence. If your health dips below 25%, you will also absorb magicka from allies, but this effect will not cause allies to attack you.
When cast, the Staff inflicts health damage and health absorption. The strength of this effect matches your level. For example, at level 50, the staff will inflict 50 points of damage and restore 25 points of your own health. Although it is levelled by default, you can customize the amount of damage inflicted by the staff using console commands. See the MCM Menu and Customization section below.
Finally, you will also be granted the Light of Magnus power. The Staff of Magnus, when equipped and unsheathed, will light up the surrounding area, and the Light of Magnus power allows you to switch this on and off. This effect is taken directly from Sadrin's Staves of Skyrim, and all credit goes to him for making this effect possible.

There are toms more fixes and additions, including a brotherhood bow that doubles the magnitude of poisons applied to it, and each hold now grants a specific weapon reward when you make Thane. Winterhold gave me Dovahdaan, a Nord Hero Greatsword (with a slight damage boost, 2H)
Enchantment: 50% more damage to dragons, ignores 50% of armor.

So far I'm really liking both of these, going to make them a permanent part of the load order.

That Ignorant Sap fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 1, 2017

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Violens can turn them off for both sides on the original version. It's available for sse as well, so it might have the same option.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Violens can turn them off for both sides on the original version. It's available for sse as well, so it might have the same option.
Yeah, that worked like a charm!

Okay, next question: The Creation Kit. I can't run it. I get an error about steam_api.dll missing, or if I copy it from another game's install I get something about a "procedure entry point" being missing. Can someone walk me through, slowly because I'm stupid, how they installed the CK via Steam to get it to work with Skyrim SE?

edit: turns out it's not the SE one on Steam and I had to use this Bethesda launcher that I've never heard of because I don't own FO4 so I didn't have a reason to get it. Whoops.

e2: man, this is confusing, but hopefully I chose something smart to test with (unlimited enchantment charges, which seemed far-ranging but also trivial to test) and we'll see if it works!

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jan 1, 2017

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
Any opinions on Immersive Sounds compendium SSE?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Anything to replace the SkyUI functionality that tells you when you've already read a book?

I really only care so I don't buy a spell tome twice, so I'd settle for one that just marked a spell tome if you knew the corresponding spell.

Also, mad props to whoever upthread recommended SkyUI 2.2, it works perfectly (even if it has a nag screen telling me that I don't have SKSE installed)

edit: Also, my default solution to dark caves was the Toggle Candlelight mod, which seems to require a script (based on the files it comes with) so it won't convert to SE. Is that correct, or can it be converted, and is there some other way to give myself a Candlelight "aura" or something? I would accept a console command.

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 1, 2017

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Yo, this looks mad dope. What sort of memory footprint does it have, since it looks like it uses mostly vanilla assets?

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

I used to play the poo poo out of Skyrim and have something like 50 mods etc running (without trouble). I have most of the Hires-Textures as well as the UI improvement, inventory management, wearable lanterns, autolooters, convenient horses etc.

Is the SSE worth switching to or will I get a brain hemorrhage from the sudden loss of northern comfort? I am hard pressed for the disk space, so I can't really install both of them at the moment. What is the goon verdict?

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

I'm not touching SSE until SKSE64 finally gets released. Once that happens modding SSE would really take off into the stratosphere.

And if you're not familiar, skse is "skyrim script extender." On its own it does nothing, but other mods can take advantage of what it adds. If there's a mod you really like, there's a 90% chance it requires skse.

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 2, 2017

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Thanks. You answered a lot of my implicit questions. I know the SKSE and how much I am depending on it :) I didn't know there was a SKSE64 in the making. I am apparently out of the loop. Is there a good site to get up to date on the changes SSE brought and what the modders are up to(besides Nexus and SA, of course)?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
When I get back from vacation I plan on trying to update the OP to incorporate a summary of "what we know" about the state of modding SSE. The major top tier improvement is stability due to the higher amount of memory it can allocate and use. Heavily modded setups where occasional crashes were just something you have to deal with now run like a dream apparently.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Einbauschrank posted:

I used to play the poo poo out of Skyrim and have something like 50 mods etc running (without trouble). I have most of the Hires-Textures as well as the UI improvement, inventory management, wearable lanterns, autolooters, convenient horses etc.

Is the SSE worth switching to or will I get a brain hemorrhage from the sudden loss of northern comfort? I am hard pressed for the disk space, so I can't really install both of them at the moment. What is the goon verdict?

If your oldrim install works and you like it then leave it alone and keep playing. For me the original Skyrim and my modding of it would always, ALWAYS end up with a character a few hours in and a CTD that would suddenly start and never go away, then I'd half-attempt to fix it, get frustrated and nuke the whole install and play something else then come back some months later and attempt it again. Then I'd have a character with a few hours in and the CTD would start and then...etc
Special Edition, however, is a solid granite mountain of stability in comparison. Just as many mods of the same types yet the game stays stable. Leads me to believe my issues with Oldrim were memory related because it was a 32bit application and gets very bad when you clip over that threshold. SSE is x64 and because of that has all the memory you can shove at it which turns out to solve all the CTD issues I'd have with the original Skyrim. Point is if you have an install of OG Skyrim that you like leave it alone and play it. Wait for the (maybe) mid-March release of SKSESE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.

Tumblr of scotch posted:

Yo, this looks mad dope. What sort of memory footprint does it have, since it looks like it uses mostly vanilla assets?

Running fine for me alongside ETaC, and NPC additions like Interesting/Inconsequential NPCs and Populated Hell