Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

While the thread has been vocal about being disappointed over a lack of kisskisskiss, I thought this was about the best compromise they could do while toeing a conservative line as much as possible. The couples routine to end the season was fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
https://twitter.com/i/moments/814320279136575489

Assuming this is correct, I guess the ending wasn't swapped last minute for another one that supported a second season better?

RainbowCake
Apr 1, 2010

Refurbished cats may have scratches, dents or other forms of cosmetic damage which do not affect the performance of the unit.
Well that sure is a thing.

In any case I hope this means a nice Yurio arc in season 2.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
Huh, so I guess that ending was planned like that all this time? That only makes it more unsatisfying. Through the interview, it sounds like the intent of the "let's end it" line was to show that Yuuri had his moments of stupid, too, but it still kinda feels like a cheap ploy at drama? I dunno, the finale just continues to not sit right with me.

Also I'm offended that Kubo thought I could forget Yurio, the best little poo poo.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

The finale is definitely the sort of open-ended thing I could see being a good finale, but the episode rushes through so much that it really doesn't feel satisfying.

Chedranian Girl
Sep 15, 2008

IS THAT A WEAPON?
So I know a few folks here actually follow figure skating so I was wondering if you guys could clear up a few things for me and a friend of mine who are confused about the show. All the way through YOI has been praised for how accurately it portrays figure skating. I then read these two blog posts (http://self-loathing-shenanigans.tumblr.com/post/154622980025/iwillbeyourhands-as-a-long-time-figure-skating and https://karice.wordpress.com/2016/10/12/p525/) which go on to discuss how practically impossible Viktor's routine is, featuring four quads, one of which being the quad flip (his signature move, so supposedly something no one else on the circuit has cracked yet). (Until Yuri).

That's fine by me, because it further enforces the idea that Viktor IS a skating God. Until you realise JJ has four quads, Yurio planned four (but misses one (enough rotations but falls)) and Yuri nails 4 quads in the end. Forgetting that part, because it's a "new world record" and such, what actually sets JJ apart from Viktor, in that case? Is Viktor literally an Untouchable Skating God because of a single quad flip?

Not to mention that Otabek nails three quads and is WAY behind in the scoring, too.

I guess it's a bit jarring to me because we've heard nothing but how accurate a portrayal of figure skating this show is, only to realise that the actual jumps are complete fabrication? Like I say, I totally merrily bought that Viktor could out-perform any real life routine, because, well, he's Viktor, that's the point, but for the others to come so close too just takes a little bit of the shine off the "realism" for me. I know, I know, it's just a TV show. But it's one that's constantly getting praise for its accuracy (from professionals, commentators and fans alike.)

Can anyone shine any light on this for me at all? Or are we just thinking about it way too much? :P

Chedranian Girl fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 30, 2016

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Chedranian Girl posted:

Can anyone shine any light on this for me at all?

It's not just that his routine has four quads, but that it has four different quads, requiring him to be able to get an incredible amount of rotation despite starting his jumps in several different ways. You're allowed to be scored for the same quad twice in a program if one is in a combination, and that's what everyone else does. It's not just about the stamina and execution, but the breadth of technique that sets Victor apart.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I imagine JJ lacks PCS. He has a lot of technical prowess but doesn't sell the beauty.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

In case you ever wanted to buy Yuri!!! on Ice themed tea, now you can.

I just ordered several of them for my sister as a (late) Christmas present, but alas, I can't handle caffeine. But I hope she enjoys them. :)

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Gnossiennes posted:

I just ordered several of them for my sister as a (late) Christmas present, but alas, I can't handle caffeine. But I hope she enjoys them. :)

of course Chris would be the perfect tea for me... :blush:

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
What makes Viktor so great is that he not only has 4 different quads but that he lands all of them and does it exceptional well, and that he's able to do a program that has a high technical score as well as a high component score. There's also the placement of his quads; his final element is a quad combination, which is ridiculous because the amount of stamina you'd need to pull off a quad at the very end of a grueling program AND do it in a combination AND THEN do it perfectly would take a godly amount of talent. I think it was a lutz, too? Which is, on the books, the second hardest quad to do, but in practice is probably the hardest just because the actual hardest (a quad axel, which has 4 1/2 rotations instead of the usual 4) might not be physicality possible.

For reference, most skaters plan their quads in the first half of their program (when they have the most energy) and usually do it at the beginning. An "opening quad" had pretty much become the standard for competition. If a skater does a quad in the second half, it's a pretty big deal because it's ballsy, and usually they will attempt it at the beginning of the second half for stamina reasons (a quad at the beginning of the 2nd half is worth the same technical points as one performed at the end, though the latter would probably get a higher component score because of the higher challenge level). And there's no guarantee that a skater will land it cleanly because it is the most technically demanding element right now, but they still get partial credit for the attempt as long as they get all their rotations in so it's worth trying. Being able to land one type of quad can be challenging (some skaters still struggle with their triple axel, which was the previous quad), so mastering four is just unheard of.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???

dogsicle posted:

of course Chris would be the perfect tea for me... :blush:

I wouldn't trust anything associated with Chris that has "cream" listed as an ingredient :jackbud::coffee:

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Chedranian Girl posted:

Can anyone shine any light on this for me at all? Or are we just thinking about it way too much? :P
When people are calling it realistic, they're talking about things like the accuracy of the scoring system, the competitions, the off-ice routine, etc. No element from the routines is actually impossible, just no one has done them in combination (yet).

Chedranian Girl
Sep 15, 2008

IS THAT A WEAPON?

Maera Sior posted:

When people are calling it realistic, they're talking about things like the accuracy of the scoring system, the competitions, the off-ice routine, etc. No element from the routines is actually impossible, just no one has done them in combination (yet).

Hah, well that part I don't mind at all. Like I say, it only enforces the idea that Viktor is "a skating God". It was more the fact that four quads seems to be this insanely hard thing but JJ has four and the other skaters seem to nail quads like they're the norm in skating. I didn't think about the difference between performing a few quads and performing a set of four DIFFERENT quads though, so that's pretty much answered it for me. Viktor is a skating God. Back to being deliriously happy about the show!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Chedranian Girl posted:

Hah, well that part I don't mind at all. Like I say, it only enforces the idea that Viktor is "a skating God". It was more the fact that four quads seems to be this insanely hard thing but JJ has four and the other skaters seem to nail quads like they're the norm in skating. I didn't think about the difference between performing a few quads and performing a set of four DIFFERENT quads though, so that's pretty much answered it for me. Viktor is a skating God. Back to being deliriously happy about the show!

Every single character is one of the top athletes in the world. They'd better be doing insanely hard to do stuff.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Gnossiennes posted:

I'm glad this is a thing. The Otabek one actually looks pretty drinkable.

Shame there's no JJ.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
fyi i still see hidamari sketch wine bottles for sale everywhere

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
JJ is more of a hard liquor kind of guy, I think.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ETB posted:

JJ is more of a hard liquor kind of guy, I think.

he's also the kind of guy who'd get his caffeine from an energy drink he created

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
He'd have something with the bacony smell of Canada all over it.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Chedranian Girl posted:

Yuri on Ice uses different values for its scoring system than the one in real life. Some of the scores go beyond the theoretical max if you reverse engineer the routines. In practice, a good, consistent skater can see his or her score fluctuate throughout a season in spite of clean skating. Sometimes, you have a lenient judging panel. Other times, the technical panel might be out for blood and downgrade technical elements across the broad.

Furthermore, changes in rules or scoring values can make it difficult to compare scores across seasons. In the 2010 Olympics, quads had lower point values and the short program for Men had two required step sequences instead of just one. The writing team for the show might have wanted steady brinksmanship to show Yuri surpassing Victor's Free Skate record at the finale.

With that said, Victor probably cleans up on Grade of Execution bonus points and presentation scores on top of having a very high base value for his technical score. It’s not so much having four different quads as it’s about having no major weakness in his skating. The top skaters/ice dancers are above the rest due to their ability to execute difficult programs well and work the scoring system for bonus points.

You get bonus points for performing a technical element well, a deduction for mistakes, and neutral scoring for just squeaking by. The GOE bonus scales with the difficulty of the jump/spin/step sequence. So having a level 4 step sequences and multiple quads or triple axel jumps in your program means that your potential GOE ceiling is higher than someone performing 8 triple jumps and a level 3 step sequence.

Let's compare two real life Men's routines from the Four Continents competition from last year. The first one is Patrick Chan of Canada who finished first in the Free Skate and would go on to win the competition:

The second is Boyang Jin of China who came into the Free Skate with a lead in the short but finished second in the Free Skate and second overall:

Boyang Jin starts with a massive 16 point base value lead over Patrick Chan for his technical score. He has four quads, including a quad Lutz, and six triple jumps while Chan has only two quads and seven triple jumps. Furthermore, Jin has two quads in the back half of his program while Chan's quad attempts are at the very beginning.

However, Chan closed the technical gap by receiving high grade of execution for all of his technical elements. He finished his routine by receiving 21 points for GOE while Jin only improves on his base value by 9 points. Chan spins/step sequences received very high GOE by the judges. Furthermore, his levels for spins/steps are higher than that of Jin. Chan's jumping passes received higher grade of execution even though most of them were of a lower difficulty in comparison's to Jin's multiple quad attempts.

Where Chan really cleaned up was the component scores for his program. Chan's use of the blade, speed, and artistry are on full display in the routine. All of this quick tempo and done at a breackneck speed. The program better connects the technical elements and emphasizes Chan's interpretation of the music, speed, and ice coverage. It's a very well packaged program that emphasizes Chan's skating skills and musicality while working around his lower technical score ceiling.

What probably separates Victor from his competitors is that he has no glaring weakness. He's the complete package in that he has jumps, spins, steps, and artistry. More importantly, he executes his routine extremely well.

But Otabek was probably robbed.

Dzhay posted:

I'm glad this is a thing. The Otabek one actually looks pretty drinkable.

Shame there's no JJ.

He signed an exclusivity deal with Tim Hortons. Roll up the rim of a coffee cup and win the gift of JJ.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

VostokProgram posted:

I still think it's the anime of the decade

It's hosed up that Bodacious Space Pirates is quietly the best representation of gay people in anime

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
https://twitter.com/morishima_akiko/status/814008478284935168

we've reached peak yuri

SelfOM
Jun 15, 2010
Awesome posts about the scoring.

Boyang Jin does have some incredible height on that 4Lz. That judge who gave Patrick 10s in all but 1 of his components is definitely Canadian. It will interesting to see the battle between Nathan and Boyang play out and which of the two can raise their PCS scores faster to challenge the big 3. Both of them try 4 quads in a FS program, but I believe Nathan has 4 different types vs. Boyangs 3, and Nathan has tried putting 5 quads in his FS this year (though not successfully). Hanyu has 3 as well. It's so crazy how much progress has been made in the last year in terms of putting in more quads as well as the first ratified quad loop and quad flip by Hanyu and Shomo.

Speaking of Patrick, here's him and Nathan Chen:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BOh1jkOh_o5/

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/ringomox/status/814740155609190400

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Yakuuri OTP

http://fyyoi.tumblr.com/post/153680943579/mykatsudon-does-yakov-get-the-same-treatment-as

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Just finished watching this and ep 11 and the rise and fall of JJ was sooo good. I thought JJ's theme sounded suspiciously like a Swedish Eurovision song and surprise, surprise - turns out the singer is Swedish.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

So many of the songs had that Eurovision feel... :allears:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I finished the series and I'm a little confused as to why some people hated JJ. I was expecting him to be some huge rear end in a top hat, but he's just really confident in his own abilities and open in thinking he's the best. I don't think that's really a bad thing.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

So I finished the series and I'm a little confused as to why some people hated JJ. I was expecting him to be some huge rear end in a top hat, but he's just really confident in his own abilities and open in thinking he's the best. I don't think that's really a bad thing.

he was mean to yurio and must be destroyed

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

He was kinda cocky, but it was obvious that he cared about being someone his fans could look up to.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
He made fun of someone for being feminine and on this show that makes you satan

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
If I could get away with teasing Yurio, I'd do it too. JJ was right, long live the king.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ytlaya posted:

Straight

Was Mean to Tiny Russian Rage Ball

But yea I think most of the JJ hate was kinda joking in the sense of 'oh boy this guy is almost certainly gonna get some twist of fate with this attitude', and then he actually did and it was actually sad and we all stopped

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

JJ "hate" is mostly just "this guy is obnoxious"

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
He has his own name tattooed on his rear end.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
A literal tramp stamp.

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong

Ytlaya posted:

I hate him because he's Canadian and has a tramp stamp :colbert:
His fiance and fans are pretty cool.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

he rules the world, and the starry sky spreading above.

he'll never give up, even if the night should fall, always does his best.

he looks in the mirror, the king looks back at him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

VostokProgram posted:

he rules the world, and the starry sky spreading above.

he'll never give up, even if the night should fall, always does his best.

he looks in the mirror, the king looks back at him.

He can reach the stars, and he''ll show you how.

• Locked thread