Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Cythereal posted:

And the Bothan annoyed at how her species are all spies and saboteurs who do poo poo AT ALL COSTS NO MATTER HOW MANY BOTHANS DIE TO BRING YOU THIS INFORMATION! :byodood:

Let's be fair here, Fey'yla was a slimy politician

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I am curious at this transition from slightly furry faced goat people to crossing the line to space dogmans.

Must have been around 2000/2001 because Star Wars Galaxies was like the first large scale version of bowow Bothans.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SeanBeansShako posted:

I am curious at this transition from slightly furry faced goat people to crossing the line to space dogmans.

Must have been around 2000/2001 because Star Wars Galaxies was like the first large scale version of bowow Bothans.

They were cat-like in the X-Wing series, explaining Gavin (a human) falling in love with one - Stackpole describes Asyr Sei'lar as being a basically a catgirl and well within human standards of attractiveness if you don't mind fur.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I always imagined them like how they looked like in the Shadows Of The Empire comic book.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Cythereal posted:

They were cat-like in the X-Wing series, explaining Gavin (a human) falling in love with one - Stackpole describes Asyr Sei'lar as being a basically a catgirl and well within human standards of attractiveness if you don't mind fur.

Presumably it's a similar situation with Corran and that Selonian lady. Written before they were portrayed as just giant otters.

Well, that, or there's something Stackpole isn't telling us...

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 30, 2016

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Toplowtech posted:

Yeah and all the hutts are dangerous criminals, all the humans are power mad sorcerors who throw lightning from their hands.

And all little green trolls are Jedi Masters?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah but in his day, I bet he sliced the gently caress out of some turbolifts on his way to the top.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Canemacar posted:

Actually yes, there's Yaddle in episode I on the Jedi council and Vandar Tokare from KOTOR.

Also in Star Wars, there's a humongous amount of characters that are either Smugglers, Bounty Hunters, Jedi, Sith, Senators and Soldiers to the point where I wonder if there are any other occupations in the Star Wars universe

Like seriously, there's a lot of fuckin' Bounty Hunters, they didn't even that have many in the actual Wild West

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Gammatron 64 posted:

Like seriously, there's a lot of fuckin' Bounty Hunters, they didn't even that have many in the actual Wild West

Space is a lot bigger than the Wild West.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also, the Empire wasn't big on Holo-debt collectors.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

We're also rapidly approaching the point there are exactly three kinds of Droid:

Snarky beep-beep R2-style unit
Prissy C3-style unit.
Snarky cynical murder-bot

Occasionally mixes of two of the above, like in the Vader comic.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Also goofy killbots and jerky killbots
Oh and the just doin their job droids

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
We need more B4-D4 droids who start off as prissy, and then decide they need to get a murderbot buddy from T1-N1 to become a fully emancipated droid.

And then there is G0-T0 who is just the best droid ever.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

ImpAtom posted:

We're also rapidly approaching the point there are exactly three kinds of Droid:

Prissy C3-style unit.

Gonk.

GONK!

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Canemacar posted:

Well the only two we see are on the jedi council.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Prissy C3-style unit.

One thing the old EU had going for it was that there was droid variety. Not always good droid variety, but variety nonetheless!

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Jazerus posted:

One thing the old EU had going for it was that there was droid variety. Not always good droid variety, but variety nonetheless!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Vuffi raa. Only starfish robot to have a built in flip lighter

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

StashAugustine posted:

Say what you will about Fey'yla, the man knew how to die. :black101:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Preechr posted:

Say what you will about Fey'yla, the man knew how to die. :black101:

The fact that he got a heroic death after being a horrible human being (figuratively speaking) for like two decades of published stuff was the worst.

As for Bothans in general, Asyr was always described like a cat-person, mostly human-ish with fur and claws. I think it was Galaxies that established Bothans as goat people. I think Asyr got a colour picture in one of the recent RPG books that kind of demonstrated what Gavin might have seen in her (as opposed to the terrible art done in one of the magazines years ago).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fun fact: the New Essential Guide to Droids revealed that the Great Heep and Vuffi Raa both came from the Yuuzhan Vong galaxy, and the war between caused the Vong to hate technology.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Milky Moor posted:

The fact that he got a heroic death after being a horrible human being (figuratively speaking) for like two decades of published stuff was the worst.
There is precedent for that in Star Wars.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

It's sort of endearing how by the end, even other characters were getting sick of him riding on death Bothans.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Siivola posted:

It's sort of endearing how by the end, even other characters were getting sick of him riding on death Bothans.

He's the Rudy Giuliani of Star Wars.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone else remember his profile in the New Essential Guide to Characters where his picture showed him with the tail of his coat stuck between the pages?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Canemacar posted:

He's the Rudy Giuliani of Star Wars.

Noun, verb, many Bothans died.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

Official answer time!
http://www.starwars.com/news/a-tale-of-two-bothans-interpreting-star-wars-aliens

And they're not even the species with the widest evolution gap, check the Mrlssi.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Does anyone else remember his profile in the New Essential Guide to Characters where his picture showed him with the tail of his coat stuck between the pages?

*checks*
...Well Sith me that's right.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I got the Rogue One Visual Guide for Hannukah. There are interesting tidbits, but also some stuff that's bizarrely missing (like no Tarkin page, wtf?)

Also Mon Mothma was clearly talking about a single beloved spy, "Manny" Manuel Bothans. :colbert:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ecureuilmatrix posted:

*checks*
...Well Sith me that's right.

Wookieepedia even has a picture of it for anyone who doesn't have the book to hand.

The picture I have in my mind of the Bothans has always been Borsk Fey'lya's profile picture from the original Essential Guide to Characters, where he looked sort of like a Tellarite:

Side note: When I ran a Google search for that picture, I also got a comic panel of Wedge and co. watching a Bothan striptease.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Fun fact: the New Essential Guide to Droids revealed that the Great Heep and Vuffi Raa both came from the Yuuzhan Vong galaxy, and the war between caused the Vong to hate technology.

i love all the poo poo in the essental guide that tries to tie EVERYTHING to EVERYTHING. like desan and the reborn are part of the heither empire reborn and stuff like the great heep being part of an alien robot super race at war with another super race and that thrawn knew about the vong.

Milky Moor posted:

As for Bothans in general, Asyr was always described like a cat-person, mostly human-ish with fur and claws. I think it was Galaxies that established Bothans as goat people. I think Asyr got a colour picture in one of the recent RPG books that kind of demonstrated what Gavin might have seen in her (as opposed to the terrible art done in one of the magazines years ago).

yeah. i wanted him to die bargining with the vong or something. like he was behind the quisling legue or whatever. and they kill him after he severed his usefulness.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Are the novelization's worth reading? I've always skipped them because it seems tedious but I'm running out of stuff to read so I'm curious.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

Are the novelization's worth reading? I've always skipped them because it seems tedious but I'm running out of stuff to read so I'm curious.

Eh. The original ones are kinda interesting for historical value, especially since they contain some clear bits of before-poo poo-got-solidified info. (The Emperor being a useless figurehead, Owen being Ben Kenobi's brother.) Otherwise the only one maybe vaguely worth it is RotS and only because it kinda helps the film out.

Lake Jucas
Feb 20, 2011

WHAT OF OUR BARGAIN?
Yeah, the RotS novelization is likely one of the best Star Wars novels written. Go for it.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

sportsgenius86 posted:

The RotS novel is really quite good. This is because it cuts out the bad parts of the film and then also rewrites every piece of dialogue.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I haven't quite gotten around to reading it yet, but I've been hearing good buzz about Alexander Freed's Rogue One novelization; sounds to be very much in the "extra scenes and added characterization" wheelhouse.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I finished Ahsoka recently. I sorta liked it (because I'm a sucker for the Jedi on the run genre) but it was missing something. I feel like Ahsoka spends a lot of the book moping by herself, which doesn't suit the character at all. Or maybe I just really like dialogue-heavy books, I dunno.

I think I'mma pick up the Episode III novel next, since everybody seems to like it so much and I'm all about them Jedi right now.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Siivola posted:

I finished Ahsoka recently. I sorta liked it (because I'm a sucker for the Jedi on the run genre) but it was missing something. I feel like Ahsoka spends a lot of the book moping by herself, which doesn't suit the character at all. Or maybe I just really like dialogue-heavy books, I dunno.

She had her whole life, everyone she liked, admired and called friend torn away from her, with the additional rose on top that it was done by the one thing she devoted her live to (the Jedi Order and the Republic). Aditionally she isn't supposed to use the gifts she got, that defined her whole being, any more. It would feel wrong if she wasn't somewhat moping, even if moping rarely is entertaining to read if it isn't done by some really good author.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Yeah, it's entirely appropriate, and it's not like she's really wallowing in it either. It's just, Ahsoka without anyone to talk to just doesn't feel right. I mean, her whole point in the cartoon was to talk back to Anakin! :v:

The bad guys are also really forgettable. On the other hand, the damsel of the book is 100% gay for Ahsoka and it's amazing. :allears:

All in all it's an okay book, but Miller's Kenobi was better.

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012

Cross-Section posted:

I haven't quite gotten around to reading it yet, but I've been hearing good buzz about Alexander Freed's Rogue One novelization; sounds to be very much in the "extra scenes and added characterization" wheelhouse.

I started reading the R1 novel because it is written by Freed and Twilight Company really worked for me (gritty war story, but still very Star Wars, Vader is a horror movie monster; actually, it hits some similar areas as R1).

R1 novel is very stilted, moves weird, has no focus. Clearly he is writing from the script and wasn't allowed any room to breath. Have yet to finish because I lost interest, but, to be fair, I started it the day after I saw the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

PlisskensEyePatch posted:

R1 novel is very stilted, moves weird, has no focus.

So it's exactly like the movie.