Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Now that IF Modeste and Muller are the same price, I wonder if Modeste is still the better buy for a big man up front? Muller does have way improved short passing and positioning and reactions so he seems like he's maybe better if you're running two strikers where he might have to assist instead of just get headers?

He also has a better weak foot, can do long shots, and much much better balance (dunno what all that really does)

Only downside is maybe the high defensive workrate makes him tire out too much? I dunno. He also doesn't have power header and his heading accuracy is lower. Oh also his strength is like 22 lower :(

I feel like with headers nerfed though maybe having a big man who can hold up play and then pass is more valuable, although like his strength is only 68 so maybe he's not great at that. Might give him a shot.

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Goalies with long throw abilities are the only trait/ability thing I look for currently.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Stefan Prodan posted:

Now that IF Modeste and Muller are the same price, I wonder if Modeste is still the better buy for a big man up front? Muller does have way improved short passing and positioning and reactions so he seems like he's maybe better if you're running two strikers where he might have to assist instead of just get headers?

Muller is too weak. Don't get me wrong I'm sure he's very good and probably a great CF/CAM but the amount of goals I get from Modeste off of blasting through defenders with his strength is really high. H/H workrates are up to personal preference but I can't stand them. I've liked very few strikers with those workrates in any fifa, even with instructions. The only card that would take IF Modeste out of my Bundesliga squad at the moment would be Aubameyang, Lewandowski or IF Embolo but they're all too expensive and hopefully the league SBC pops up soon anyways.

DoctaFun posted:

Goalies with long throw abilities are the only trait/ability thing I look for currently.

Power header, long shot taker, and finesse shot taker are very good. The first trait is extremely noticeable if you play a heading based offense, the other two could be placebo but I finish long shots and finesse shots way more with strikers that have those traits and average curve/longshots than those who have just very good stats in those areas. Flair lets you pull off some bullshit passes and volleys as well that would muck up a normal forward. Everything besides those and long throw on the keeper are a bit gimmicky but Giant throw in is real fun and can open up a lot of attacking opportunities, and "backs into player" is very useful if you play shield and pass offense with a targetman. Unfortunately those two traits are rare/not on many great players.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Just after I poo poo all over these SBCs I see that I can do the toprak one for 50k......

e- It only costs me 3k, but I would make 50 if I sold the things I have.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 21, 2016

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Seltzer posted:

Muller is too weak. Don't get me wrong I'm sure he's very good and probably a great CF/CAM but the amount of goals I get from Modeste off of blasting through defenders with his strength is really high. H/H workrates are up to personal preference but I can't stand them. I've liked very few strikers with those workrates in any fifa, even with instructions. The only card that would take IF Modeste out of my Bundesliga squad at the moment would be Aubameyang, Lewandowski or IF Embolo but they're all too expensive and hopefully the league SBC pops up soon anyways.

Power header, long shot taker, and finesse shot taker are very good. The first trait is extremely noticeable if you play a heading based offense, the other two could be placebo but I finish long shots and finesse shots way more with strikers that have those traits and average curve/longshots than those who have just very good stats in those areas. Flair lets you pull off some bullshit passes and volleys as well that would muck up a normal forward. Everything besides those and long throw on the keeper are a bit gimmicky but Giant throw in is real fun and can open up a lot of attacking opportunities, and "backs into player" is very useful if you play shield and pass offense with a targetman. Unfortunately those two traits are rare/not on many great players.

Hmm yeah I did worry about that strength but I might still give him a shot on my backup teams just to check him out, if he sucks I can go back to modeste on the fitness squad

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Dec 21, 2016

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004
It's great being left handed..you can jerk off and still keep the mouse on the right side of the keyboard
My Man O. Dembele finally gets an IF and he looks so tasty. Curious to see where his OTW price goes after they raise the cap. I sold off all of them (except for 1)

I think I'm to have a front three of Martial, Auba, Dembele.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Got my weekend league rewards, got two jobber totws and that mothafuckin 87 eriksen :hellyeah:

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004
It's great being left handed..you can jerk off and still keep the mouse on the right side of the keyboard

Stefan Prodan posted:

Got my weekend league rewards, got two jobber totws and that mothafuckin 87 eriksen :hellyeah:

That's awesome. I've been using NIF Eriksen for ages and he's probably the reason for most of my success in WL. Can't imagine what his SIF is like.

My gambling addiction is rampant in this game.

I bought 8 OTW Manes at 157k/each and OTW 2 batshuayi at 60k. I'm ready for the weekend games.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Eriksen has a special place in my heart because he was the first and I think only in form I packed all of last year since I don't really buy packs, so I kept him basically the whole year, and I really should probably sell him and get lewandowski or something with the 200k instead of using Eriksen as a sub but I probably can't bring myself to do it

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

IF-MODESTE IS GOD

So Modeste just scored goal #99, 100, and 101 for me. I cannot give this guy enough credit. He is a complete monster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgrrGJRycio&t=35s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1SiylsaLDg&t=28s

#101 caused a rage quit.,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OA_DzqjEHs

Stats,

:getin:

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
These SBCs are crazy and are making the market pretty wild. Bought a few of Alderweireld for 12.5k two days ago and they are 19k now, wish I would have bought more!

If you are like me and won't be able to play much over the holidays, consider investing in some BPL silvers. They always spike in price when there is a silver requirement for WL. Obviously there is more to be made right now if you can traverse all the SBCs, but I won't be playing for at least a week and a half most likely. Hoping to see some silver requirements in January, could easily make 300k or so off my silvers.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I poo poo all over EPL squads and this round of SBCs and now I'm sitting here staring at the Bellerin SBC sweating. I don't see him getting another IF soon and I still have my 86 rated Silva IF that I got for 15k way back when. That card will be so awesome and I love my spanish squad and messing with 5 at the backs. It's so not worth it. I don't know what to do.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I thought about it for 2 seconds. I'm selling off all my poo poo, taking my money an running. This bubble on IFs and high rated cards isn't lasting forever. I'm selling 85s for 10k, discard IFs for 30k, and my poo poo movember cards for 35k.

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004

Seltzer posted:

I thought about it for 2 seconds. I'm selling off all my poo poo, taking my money an running. This bubble on IFs and high rated cards isn't lasting forever. I'm selling 85s for 10k, discard IFs for 30k, and my poo poo movember cards for 35k.

Yep - sell off your IFs soon. I got rid of all my IF Carvalhos and discard IFs. The SBCs end tomorrow and high rated IFs will drop.

I'm wondering if we'll see a drop in the market before TOTY like we saw before Black Friday.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Went ahead and did the 88 Muller sbc since it was pretty cheap and has about 70 strength which should be enough, hope he's decent!

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

What was everyone's take on the Christmas SBCs? Did you do them? To me the majority we're either terribly overpriced or didn't fit in any of my teams so I only did Toprak which I don't regret at all. He was my favorite Bundesliga CB already and only 40k to do. The high rated cards and cheap IFs I stocked up netted me a lot of profit. I'm Sitting on 600k atm and I still have a lot of good players and IFs I actually use in my club that I could sell if I needed to. I refused to sell any sub 85 players in leagues i've completed starting 11s for so it won't be a major pain in the rear end to track and rebuild some of the rosters. I left coins on the table but the effort wasn't worth it to sell and rebuy.

I just got my second walk out this year in my weekly packs. German flag so I knew something good was coming. I got Reus and I'm stoked. I had douglas Costa at LW in my bundesliga team and was planning on upgrading during tots but I guess I've got a premature boost. I'm kicking myself I didn't pick up a OTW Dembele a couple of weeks ago when he was sitting at 40k. I have his TOTGS and the card is really really great but he's obviously going to fall behind Reus on the depth chart at LW. The right side of the Bundesliga is not as great and I would really like his new card there.

Anyways TOTGS Giuliano is the best CAM I've used in the game yet. He's one of the few players that feels really good on the ball + strong without sacrificing anything. He's incredibly balanced and can play CAM or striker. I'm really waiting on the Russian league SBC to have an actually good striker to link up with. I'd even take a good Brazilian target man striker but they don't really exist this year. IF Ze Luis is ok but not at all clinical enough in front of goal.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 26, 2016

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
IF dzyuba is pretty good, you can get him at discard

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

vivisectvnv posted:

IF dzyuba is pretty good, you can get him at discard

I had him in my club and just tried him. He's actually pretty good as a target forward. Having TOTGS Giuliano and Reus to play through balls to helps a lot obviously. His finishing still leaves a lot to be desired though.

Also Sneijder is definitely getting another IF to that guy who likes sneijder. 1 goal 3 assists and basically no real leagues besides the EPL and superlig are playing this week.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Well so far the SBC Muller has 18 goals and 10 assists in 21 games and I'm not all that great at offense so uhh yeah pretty happy so far

Edit: 23 goals in 28 games now so hit a bit of a slump compared to before but still tearin it up

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Dec 27, 2016

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Bought SIF Balotelli for a slick 50k, his stats are really quite crazy with the Hunter chem style, 99 strength 99 heading 94 finishing. Pretty sweet.

He does this: https://streamable.com/qgl1z

Edit: man I got the stats all wrong, and I meant hawk style. He's still great.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Dec 27, 2016

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Bought SIF Balotelli for a slick 50k, his stats are really quite crazy with the Hunter chem style, 99 strength 99 heading 94 finishing. Pretty sweet.

He does this: https://streamable.com/qgl1z

Edit: man I got the stats all wrong, and I meant hawk style. He's still great.

Nice. Strong strikers are the best. The brief period I had the halloween akinfenwa with his boosted stats was awesome. I really want that sif balo but the positioning on his first IF was absolutely miserable because of his workrates.. That was awhile back though and I've switched up my play a bit, maybe he'd be good in a 433(4) as a hold up man. I qualified first try for WL again after taking last week off (break from fifa no point/time to play on the holidays). I probably won't play much this week either. IF Dzyuba was awesome for me though. He bagged three goals in the final. Playing my ST as a pure target forward in a 433 was really effective. Usually I try to get my striker on a break via runs and 1 2 passing or look for him to pass to a winger after a dribble. With Dzyuba I was really holding things up and drawing defenders out more. He leaves a lot to desire but his ball rentention/strength and heading are awesome.

e- realized he has the backs into player trait I was saying was cool earlier, might explain why he shines with hold up play.

This is what 99 heading looks like

sidenetting from 12 yards out.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I had Robben do that one time also, haha. It turns out he has like 60 heading so I must have rolled like a 1 in 100 kinda thing

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Icardi's TIF is 65k right now and is better than Higuain's 90 SIF in every area that counts basically. He's Higuain with headers/balance/actually good short passing. Higuains IF is 300k. I'd get Icardi now, people are opening up the guaranteed IF packs driving his price down before weekend league.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 28, 2016

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Stefan Prodan posted:

I had Robben do that one time also, haha. It turns out he has like 60 heading so I must have rolled like a 1 in 100 kinda thing

Don't you mean a 40 in 100 kinda thing?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
no his heading is 60 so he can do it 60% of the time idiot

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Seltzer posted:

Icardi's TIF is 65k right now and is better than Higuain's 90 SIF in every area that counts basically. He's Higuain with headers/balance/actually good short passing. Higuains IF is 300k. I'd get Icardi now, people are opening up the guaranteed IF packs driving his price down before weekend league.

I packed him from the untradeable totw sbc, used him in the tradeable totw sbc, packed him again, and sold him for 85k.

god bless.

Also he's garbage in this game, but then so is Higuain.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Was there any FIFA where higuain wasn't garbage?

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Was there any FIFA where higuain wasn't garbage?

Maybe 15? There was one where he was pretty awesome, but yeah generally whatever it is about his stats and traits makes him really bad.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Low agility and balance coupled with his inability to play a real target man due to his underwhelming passing stats make him a very situational player, imo.

I also think that the "outside the foot shot" trait is problematic, sometimes it's great like when you take a shoot from the right (assuming right footed player) and instead of popping it with the left which would curl inward he takes it with the right and it's generally unstoppable but often when you come from inside the box you just want to shoot a simple inside-footed shot with the left which would be a 90% goal but instead the player re-positions to take the outside footed shot with the stronger foot which gives the keeper time to close the angle and ruins the chance. With Higuain who has 4* weak foot this was particularly annoying for me last year when I played with his Record Breaker card.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

hopterque posted:

I packed him from the untradeable totw sbc, used him in the tradeable totw sbc, packed him again, and sold him for 85k.

god bless.

Also he's garbage in this game, but then so is Higuain.

Have you actually used his TIF or did you just discard it.... I destroyed three people in a row in singles matches with it. I don't know how you can look at his stats and come to the conclusion he's garbage. The only things you could find issue with is "low" pace at 83 and only 84 dribbling (ignoring the fact that his other dribbling stats are really high and nicely balanced). He has 87 short passing, 96 positioning, 97 finishing, 88 strength, 99 jumping, 99 heading...... He doesn't have the range of shooting Villa does (finesse, outside the foot, longshots) but if you get in the box with him you would have to try to miss. Higuain's cards are usually bad because his balance makes him clunky and he doesn't jump high enough to take advantage of his heading stats.

e- maybe it's the shots I take but outside the foot shots have always been a big plus on players for me.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Russian league SBC is out. I'm turning in all my pre-built squads raking in the packs. The Smolov card looks awesome as well. The other league SBC is Eredivisie. I think I'm gonna hold onto all the gold reward packs til TOTY.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

20k for completing the whole thing and about 100-150k worth of gold packs not counting the six silver jumbo packs I opened that have a lot of rare players in them that are needed in sbcs. Also Eremenko's price is spiking because he's sort of needed in the CSKA SBC and he's out of packs and I bought 30 of those cheap.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Where's Blimpkin to make a highlight video of this, my greatest parmos goal to date:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIY1ToYcFdY

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004
For those wanting to make some coin - The WL qualification requirements coming up will require La Liga players in your main team AND on your bench.

For the main teams, I grabbed some Williams and De Marcos (cheap but pacey La Liga players) and then grabbed loads of silvers/bronze (max price 200) that people will buy for bench fodder.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Stefan Prodan posted:

Where's Blimpkin to make a highlight video of this, my greatest parmos goal to date:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIY1ToYcFdY

Spicy corner.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I just got this player for my backup squad and he intrigues me

http://www.futhead.com/17/players/51418/danny-latza/

If the shooting stats work like I think they do, this guy is basically a hidden god of shooting because it's quite possible you could just never have him shoot inside the box. I had an official strategy guide from like FIFA 09 that said that the way stats worked is that inside the box the game checks Finishing and outside the box it checks Long Shots, period. So theoretically if it works like that, then this guy if I play him mostly back should basically take most of his shots with 98 shooting and 99 shot power. Since I felt he was a little bit weak with defending I gave him Powerhouse for now, but I could switch him to Artist maybe if I want him to actually try to beat people off the dribble.

I'll report back if I get a feel for how his shooting actually is, I think I can probably avoid shooting with him in the box, however I will say that on my main squad his spot is where I normally have Renato Sanches and that guy does score a decent amount from inside the box so this guy might end up there too and just shoot tons of poo poo wide and make me mad so we'll see!

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
24 wins again this weekend, sure wish I didn't lose the game where i was 3-0 up in the 75th minute on penalties or the other game where the guy got one of his cbs red carded in the 15th minute and i preceded to bang like 15 clear cut chances off the posts for the rest of the game and lose 3-4 in extra time.

I do actually like the gold 2 rewards though, and I got into gold monthly so I'll have 3 random untradeable informs in a week or two.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Went 8-5. Though I went like 7-1 with my SBC Smolov team. He's my favorite striker at the moment and outplayed TIF Icardi (MVP Villa would be my favorite if I could build a good team around him but Spanish midfielders suck). TIF Icardi is a wizard in the box and can't miss but his runs aren't that great for whatever reason, maybe it's the workrates. Smolov holds onto the ball better and is faster. I've begun to rethink how important aggression is after using Smolov and some other strikers. I used to be all about pure strength on strikers but strength + aggression is the ideal mix. Smolov has about 82 strength and 75 aggression while Icardi has 88 strength and 41 aggression. Despite good balance on both Smolov kept the ball much much more often. The squad also might've been good simply because TOTGS Giuliano was behind Smolov. He's easily the best player in my club and is averaging just under a goal + assist per game from the CAM position.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I didn't get to do all of mine this weekend but I went 21-13, so I think I would probably have been able to get to gold 1 if I finished, which is basically still squarely average for me. No reason to think I've gotten better yet but I think I'm slowly starting to make better snap decisions in the final third when it matters.

I did have 3 or 4 games also where I felt like I was solidly better than my opponent and got unlucky and I didn't think I pulled out any very lucky wins this time so maybe I've improved to like a 27 win player or something I dunno

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
God I have the worst loving investing luck in this game. I mentioned earlier that I knew I was going to be busy during the holidays, so I loaded my transfer list with a bunch of BPL silvers that shot up in price the last time there was a WL requirement. I was hoping that at some point in December or early January I could cash in.

Then today I get a chance to go through my transfer list and decide to offload most of them, at a small profit mind you. I get home and check my console and see a silver req. coming up. gently caress. I had a bunch of Success sell for like 4k which I was happy with(bought them at like 2.8k or something). Now he's pretty much extinct!

I still have about 20 Iheanacho though, he went for ~17k last time and I picked most of mine up for 5.8-7k, hope that happens again!

• Locked thread