Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I think you can Engage an enemy engaged with another player and then Evade it. It takes an extra action but in a pinch it can help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Good article here on engagement: https://mythosbusterspodcast.wordpress.com/2016/12/09/introduction-to-engagem/

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
The only exception so far is the Cunning Distraction survivor card, which taps all enemies at a location.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Arkham LCG Core Set 2nd scenario question (not really spoilers but just to be overly cautious): Does The Masked Hunter - the enemy on the back of the first agenda card - count as one of the 6 cultists you're trying to find/defeat? I'm pretty certain the answer's yes, just confirming.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Yes it does.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Zerf posted:

It's not that big of a deal, actually. Just make the random weakness deck, flip all 'permanent' cards face up, the rest face down. Shuffle, pull one at random. If it's a face up card, it's a 'permanent', otherwise shuffle it into your deck.

Oooh I like this and will be doing this.

Also RE: solo investigators: Roland's weakness really loving hurts in solo play.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Dec 31, 2016

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Yeah, Roland is very glassy. He pairs so well with Wendy because she basically tanks for him.

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Arkham LCG Core Set 2nd scenario question (not really spoilers but just to be overly cautious): Does The Masked Hunter - the enemy on the back of the first agenda card - count as one of the 6 cultists you're trying to find/defeat? I'm pretty certain the answer's yes, just confirming.

I don't think you can even reach 6 named cultists without it, but I could be remembering wrong -- I haven't played Midnight Masks in a bit.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So are people sleeving their copies of Arkham Horror? What sleeves do most find to be a good fit? I typically sleeve collectible card games with a KMC perfect fit then a KMC hyper mat over that but I don't know if that'd be overkill for this game or not since this is my first LCG

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So are people sleeving their copies of Arkham Horror? What sleeves do most find to be a good fit? I typically sleeve collectible card games with a KMC perfect fit then a KMC hyper mat over that but I don't know if that'd be overkill for this game or not since this is my first LCG

I sleeve the investigator decks I'm playing with using standard Ultra Pros. It's not worth the time/expense to sleeve everything.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I'm using KMC Perfect Fit with no additional sleeving, seems to be protecting the cards fine

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I'm using dragon shield clear for the scenario decks and anything non-player, and player cards are dragon shield mattes. I think dragon shield's are a bit tougher by themselves vs. KMC, and I don't think it's really necessary to double sleeve LCG cards (fwiw my mtg decks are all double sleeve kmc perfect/hyper mat).

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Soothing Vapors posted:

Yeah, Roland is very glassy. He pairs so well with Wendy because she basically tanks for him.

I don't think you can even reach 6 named cultists without it, but I could be remembering wrong -- I haven't played Midnight Masks in a bit.

My cards are all the way on the other side of the room, but doesn't The Ghoul Priest qualify if he's still kicking?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I'm using dragon clear backs because the encounter back art is so gorgeous.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Ultra pro pro-matte clears are my go-to for MtG sized board game cards. Get them in bulk for cheeeap.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Lichtenstein posted:

The only exception so far is the Cunning Distraction survivor card, which taps all enemies at a location.

Stray Cat lets you evade someone without being engaged too

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Me and the Mrs completed the Arkham Horror campaign last night - both dying horribly with her going insane and leaving me to be torn to pieces by monsters. A miserable fate, to be sure, but we had a great time. Now that we both have the mechanics in place, the game moves on at a good pace too; I didn't think we'd get all three scenarios done in one session but it plays really fluidly once you're over the initial hump.

There are a couple of android apps out at the moment which are kinda useful. They have terrible and unintuitive UI tho, but if you can figure out their amateur design, they work okay.

Campaign Guide - This tracks your XP, cultists, and general campaign state from scenario to scenario. It's useful, but takes time to get your head around.

Chaos Bag - This is just a simple chaos bag replacement. You have to swipe left to configure, and swipe right to add extra tokens - took me a while to figure out. Useful if you don't like loving around with a physical bag.

Plavski fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 2, 2017

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
I really like Arkham Horror but I kinda wish they would sell extra dice. Grabbing a token from the bag is just not as fun.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Having a bag of tokens gives you the flexibility of modifying the "dice" every game to suit your needs. It also gives FFG the opportunity to add unique tokens to the mix for a specific scenario without altering the difficulty.

It's a pretty clever system to add flexibility to the core mechanic of the game and give it much longer legs. Dice would be way too limiting and cost prohibitive.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

the panacea posted:

I really like Arkham Horror but I kinda wish they would sell extra dice. Grabbing a token from the bag is just not as fun.

Read the post above yours.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Having a bag of tokens gives you the flexibility of modifying the "dice" every game to suit your needs. It also gives FFG the opportunity to add unique tokens to the mix for a specific scenario without altering the difficulty.

It's a pretty clever system to add flexibility to the core mechanic of the game and give it much longer legs. Dice would be way too limiting and cost prohibitive.

Yeah I really like the concept of it and understand that it's the perfect system for what they are trying to do. It just doesn't feel as rewarding as rolling a bunch of die.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I ended up using some holiday cash to get this as my Chaos Bag since it seemed pretty fitting

the panacea
May 10, 2008

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I ended up using some holiday cash to get this as my Chaos Bag since it seemed pretty fitting

I want one that looks like and feels like a hairy scrotum.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

the panacea posted:

I want one that looks like and feels like a hairy scrotum.

I desperately wanted this to be a real thing. Pulling a -8 out of Yog-sothoth's hairy scrote seems appropriate.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Plavski posted:

Campaign Guide - This tracks your XP, cultists, and general campaign state from scenario to scenario. It's useful, but takes time to get your head around.

Chaos Bag - This is just a simple chaos bag replacement. You have to swipe left to configure, and swipe right to add extra tokens - took me a while to figure out. Useful if you don't like loving around with a physical bag.

Thanks for these!

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
So I got the Lord of the Rings LCG for christmas and holy crap why did I wait so long to get this, the hype is real.

However I am in a slight bind because it looks like the early cycle are pretty pricey due to being in short supply, so adventure packs for Shadows of Mirkwood or Dwarrowdelf are over twice the price of later ones. I managed to snag Khazad-Dum for a decent price and intend to get the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings saga boxes, but after that how much does it matter which cycles I go for? Are the later ones doable with that sort of card pool or am I liable to get creamed?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

MikeCrotch posted:

So I got the Lord of the Rings LCG for christmas and holy crap why did I wait so long to get this, the hype is real.

However I am in a slight bind because it looks like the early cycle are pretty pricey due to being in short supply, so adventure packs for Shadows of Mirkwood or Dwarrowdelf are over twice the price of later ones. I managed to snag Khazad-Dum for a decent price and intend to get the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings saga boxes, but after that how much does it matter which cycles I go for? Are the later ones doable with that sort of card pool or am I liable to get creamed?

Saga boxes are pretty legit. Later cycles add a lot of extra mechanics so purchase them at your own peril.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

MikeCrotch posted:

Honestly unless you really want to go in order, I find the first two cycles pretty lacking, mission wise. They got more interesting as they tried new things.

This is a pretty good summary of the cycles and Sagas, with suggestions on what to buy depending on the theme you want (for example, if you want to play Hobbits you really want Fast Hitch), their difficulty, etc...

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Which pack has Fast Hitch? That's a major component of any hobbit deck. Especially if you do the LOTR saga stuff, since the first two boxes will have you running Hobbit decks and mostly evading enemies.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Dead Marshes, I believe. It's in the Shadows of Mirkwood cycle, for sure.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So I've seen people buying an artist's case from hobby lobby and some kind of insert for Arkham Horror cards in order to prepare for inevitable growth beyond what the main box can hold. Is this something worth getting right away?

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

MikeCrotch posted:

FFG is really good about reprinting the game. So if the earlier cycle seems expensive skip them till the reprint.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Yeah, looking at their site, FFG has Mirkwood listed as waiting for reprint. It'll come eventually, so you can focus on a different cycle for sure.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

MikeCrotch posted:

Just avoid getting Heirs of Numenor first. It's arguably the most difficult big box expansion, exacerbated by a small card pool.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So I've seen people buying an artist's case from hobby lobby and some kind of insert for Arkham Horror cards in order to prepare for inevitable growth beyond what the main box can hold. Is this something worth getting right away?

Just left Hobby Lobby with one of these...

Time to order my organizer from Broken Token!

I am going to go back and get another for my boardgame Arkham Horror collection.

Vvvvvvvv edit: absolutely. I think it came to 16.30.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 3, 2017

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
For anyone buying the Hobby Lobby box, their website always has a 40% off any 1 item coupon, save some cash.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

dexefiend posted:

Just left Hobby Lobby with one of these...

Time to order my organizer from Broken Token!

I am going to go back and get another for my boardgame Arkham Horror collection.

Vvvvvvvv edit: absolutely. I think it came to 16.30.

Which organizer is the one to order from Broken Token? The horizontal one? I'll place an order tonight for mine since I'm heading to Hobby Lobby on Thursday

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Which organizer is the one to order from Broken Token? The horizontal one? I'll place an order tonight for mine since I'm heading to Hobby Lobby on Thursday

The horizontal one holds them sideways, as opposed to vertically.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I totally see myself buying all the Lord of the Rings stuff now...

Thanks a lot, goons.
:retrogames:

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

dexefiend posted:

I totally see myself buying all the Lord of the Rings stuff now...

Thanks a lot, goons.
:retrogames:

Arkham Horror is good too :) Spend that cash!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

If you're interested in the cooperative questing mechanic but not married to the theme, I would actually suggest AH over LOTR at the moment. AH is new so you won't have to drop a poo poo load of money all at once, and you can keep up with it's development.