Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

A Buttery Pastry posted:

They're followers of the death cult of Mammon.

Capitallah is the greatest and Moneyhave is His Profit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Someone tell me facts about Latvia

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

eightpole posted:

cold
baltic
crushing existential despair
probably province of glorious motherland soon

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

eightpole posted:

Under custody of Swedish banks.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

eightpole posted:

Home to the tallest women in the world, apparently. Maybe it's because they never eat potatoes.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

LemonDrizzle posted:

cold
baltic
crushing existential despair
probably province of glorious motherland soon

Rampant alcoholism

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Riga is pretty

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Pluskut Tukker posted:

Home to the tallest women in the world, apparently. Maybe it's because they never eat potatoes.

I know where I'm moving to

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
What you need to know about Latvians:

They have a funny language
They though austerity was a good thing
They don't want to live in Latvia anymore

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
Now that Viro has raised alcohol tax, Latvia is where Finns are travelling when they need a vanload of booze.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
What is need to know about Latvia:

Questioning : What are one potato say other potato? Answering : Premise ridiculous. Who have two potato?

Questioning : How many Latvian is take screw in light bulb? Answering : 25. One screw in, 24 ride bicycle generator for 1-hour shift. But time probably better spend search food.

Questioning: What is happening if you cross Latvian and potato? Answering: This is cruel joke. Please, no more.

Joke: Man is hungry. He steal bread to feed family. Get home, find all family have gone Siberia! “More bread for me,” man think. But bread have worm.

Man car break down near house of farmer. Take shelter in barn. Find farmer daughter in barn. Oh! Hot stuff! But TOO LATE! Is already rape by soldier.

Three Latvian are brag about sons. “My son is soldier. He have rape as many women as want,” say first Latvian. "So?" second say, “My son is farmer. He have all potato he want!” Third Latvian wait long time, then say, “My son is die at birth. For him, struggle is over.” “Wow! You are win us,” say others. But all are feel sad.

edit:

Latvian comedian say “What deal with potato?” Latvian crowd not laugh. Comedian squint into darkness, to see audience. There is no crowd. All die from malnourish.

1st Latvian: Is so cold. 2nd Latvian: How cold is? 1st Latvian: Very. Also dark.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
good old fashioned european jokes

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Tesseraction posted:

Why are these Indian families a 'cult'?

They're not allowed to eat garlic or onions. wtf

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Squalid posted:

They're not allowed to eat garlic or onions. wtf
I think the proper word is a coven.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

eightpole posted:

What exactly?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If he knew some facts he wouldn't be asking for them now would he :rolleyes:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

If he knew some facts he wouldn't be asking for them now would he :rolleyes:
I'm sure he's interested in learning the intricacies of unemployment in Lendžu pagasts.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Buttery Pastry posted:

If our resident expert on Belgium doesn't even recognize the stereotype, I think it's fair to call bullshit on that lady's claims. She's clearly trying to stoke antisemitic feelings in an effort to cover the Indian takeover of a prized Belgian industry.

Uh, resident expert on being a right-winger from Belgium on the internet, which is something quite different from expert on actual Belgian society.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh wait I just realised the thread I'm posting in, sorry to interrupt the once ironic racism :v:

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Once and future racism is pretty much Europe.txt.only the future is now.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

drat trying to read eurolol is akin to eating cactus

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

drat trying to read eurolol is akin to eating cactus

It's been a little quiet of late.

You'd think we had more to talk about.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Tesseraction posted:

It's been a little quiet of late.

You'd think we had more to talk about.

Story after story of fascists being fascists tends to get less exciting after the first 200 pages.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
'tis but the calm before the coming le pen poststorm

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Greek ambassador to Brazil's wife enters affair with local inept slum cop, convinces local inept slum cop and his cousin to off her husband :wtc:p

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

ekuNNN posted:

Oh wait I just realised the thread I'm posting in, sorry to interrupt the once ironic racism :v:

I'll have you know I have the utmost respect for Jains even if they won't eat green vegetables on holidays, but I am curious why specifically they're taking over the diamond business in Antwerp and not New York. Jains are important in the New York diamond trade and world wide but as far as I know the degree to which they have come to dominate Antwerp is unique.

Phlegmish posted:

Well, I was more referring to Private Speech's post. Antwerp's diamond industry has indeed traditionally been in Hasidic Jewish hands, but in other countries I don't know if that's the case. She was probably just generalizing.

Hasidic Jews today dominate the diamond brokerage business, with their preeminence particularly visible in Amsterdam, New York, and Tel Aviv. If someone doesn't associate diamonds with Hasidic Jews, well they probably don't know much about the diamond trade.

I was reading some interesting economic research on the subject which is why I thought to ask about perceptions in Europe.

http://scholarship.law.duke.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2335&context=faculty_scholarship

Squalid fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Dec 31, 2016

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

The "Indian cult" is Jainism, perhaps the least threatening religion possible?

I wonder if the writer would describe Mormonism as "an American Cult."

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Doc Hawkins posted:

Kinda my issue really. It feels like 'cult' was used to mean 'lol forrin religions'

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

ekuNNN posted:

Uh, resident expert on being a right-winger from Belgium on the internet, which is something quite different from expert on actual Belgian society.
The question was stereotypes, I think I trust a right-winger to have some feel for those.

Squalid posted:

Hasidic Jews today dominate the diamond brokerage business, with their preeminence particularly visible in Amsterdam, New York, and Tel Aviv. If someone doesn't associate diamonds with Hasidic Jews, well they probably don't know much about the diamond trade.
Sure, but why would they? Most people have little to no reason to care about the diamond trade, unless they live in a country/city where it's a major thing. That leaves people who know about it because they care a lot about Jews, which would in the majority of cases probably not be in a positive sense.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I think a lot of people would name South Africans before Jews if you asked them about the diamond trade, because of De Beers. And many others would know about them but assume they were British or Dutch.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Doc Hawkins posted:

Isn't that kind of what Mormonism is though? America is such a special snow-flake that Jesus Christ himself came there beforehand to make it ready for whitey to conquer, and also the Lord's angel Moroni descended to Earth in order to give some Real American Hero (tm) genuine golden tablets to announce a new, Americanized gospel? Which conveniently said black people are God's gift for whitey to enslave, etc.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rappaport posted:

Isn't that kind of what Mormonism is though? America is such a special snow-flake that Jesus Christ himself came there beforehand to make it ready for whitey to conquer, and also the Lord's angel Moroni descended to Earth in order to give some Real American Hero (tm) genuine golden tablets to announce a new, Americanized gospel? Which conveniently said black people are God's gift for whitey to enslave, etc.

That's not any more dumb than any other branch of christianity

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Doc Hawkins posted:

I am pretty sure we can find people threatened by non violence and vegetarianism. It's Europe after all. Also swastikas and hand symbol everywhere may confuse people on the other side.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Toplowtech posted:

I am pretty sure we can find people threatened by non violence and vegetarianism. It's Europe after all. Also swastikas and hand symbol everywhere may confuse people on the other side.

Vegetarianism is not our way of life. *wolfs down a jambon-beurre*

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

My point was not that Mormonism definitely is or isn't a cult. English-speakers as a group don't use the word with a precise shared meaning any more. It's become "religious group I want to signal disapproval of."

My point is that I have no idea what the writer wants to say is so worrisome about Jains, and that invites an extremely obvious guess.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Andrast posted:

That's not any more dumb than any other branch of christianity

No, it isn't, and as Doctor Hawkins pointed out, I was gooning about things beside the point, so never mind!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Squalid posted:

Do European nationalists ever get upset about the weird Indian cult aggressively colonizing their diamond markets or are they just glad to have someone to take over for the Jews once they're finally driven back to Israel?

http://qz.com/459422/how-indian-families-took-over-the-antwerp-diamond-trade-from-orthodox-jews/

They better shouldn't, India is where the Aryans came from. But then again, Nazis never made sense, anyway.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Libluini posted:

Nazis never made sense, anyway.

New thread title for 2017.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
As far as I'm aware, Jainism is the oldest living religion in the world, so uh...

Happy new year Europa! It's going to be worse than you could possibly imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Friendly Humour posted:

Happy new year Europa! It's going to be worse than you could possibly imagine.

We say this every year!