Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I wonder how they would localize americanize that game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
64g memory card work for the Nintendo 3ds xl or do i need a smaller one?
Apparently i only have 4g and no where near enough with the sale going on

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

You really only need a 32GB if you plan on going digital primarily. If you just need one because you may get the occasional game, 8 or 16 would be fine.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Tiny Chalupa posted:

64g memory card work for the Nintendo 3ds xl or do i need a smaller one?
Apparently i only have 4g and no where near enough with the sale going on

You can, but it requires reformatting the card as FAT32. SDXC is mostly just physical SDHC using ExFAT and (as of late) a few new certification features that got backported to SDHC, so they can't be too compatibility-breaking.

- Linux can format anything up to 2 TiB as FAT32 just fine on its own, but this requires Linux. The 2 TiB limit is a product of the MBR partitioning scheme, but it's probably physically hard to fit much more in the volume of a Micro SD card anyway, and nothing on the market is anywhere close.
- OS X can do this with a bit of work, though I don't know the full details, have no idea how you set no volume label (and for some dumb reason the 3DS includes it as part of the file protection scheme), and don't know if the system utility changes now that they're calling it macOS won't make this a total pain in the rear end.
- Windows will not format anything larger than 32 GiB as FAT32 of its own volition; this is a leftover of the Windows 2000/XP days preventing people trying to use FAT32 drives as system drives in a dumb way, and also because Microsoft gets (got?) royalties on ExFAT. You'll need a third party utility like FAT32format or Rufus to do the thing.

And as LODGE NORTH said, you'd have to go out of your way to fill up a 32 GB card in a 3DS, even if you have a pathological objection to (3)DS cartridges.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Dec 31, 2016

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

LODGE NORTH posted:

You really only need a 32GB if you plan on going digital primarily. If you just need one because you may get the occasional game, 8 or 16 would be fine.

I've got around a dozen full-sized games on a 32 GB card, including the massive Pokémon Sun, as well as a bunch of small cheap indie stuff and virtual console games, and I have well over 100,000 blocks free. I don't know what that means in terms of actual storage other than a shitload of it, but 32 gigs should do you just fine and not require any sort of formatting.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Is Pokemon Sun really 3.2GB? :stare: Is the base micro SD with the New XL still 4GB? That seems crazy that it barely fits.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

irlZaphod posted:

Is Pokemon Sun really 3.2GB? :stare: Is the base micro SD with the New XL still 4GB? That seems crazy that it barely fits.

About 80% of that is the 800-odd Pokemon models, remember.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

About 80% of that is the 800-odd Pokemon models, remember.

1600-odd models, they made separate low-poly models for Pokemon that are following you around outside of battle. The following feature was cut but all the assets for it were left in the game :v:

http://gonintendo.com/stories/269792-pokemon-sun-moon-datamining-leads-to-low-polygon-model-animation

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Okay thanks for the heads up I'll grab 32g. In a fit of drinking grabbed monster Hunter generations and ace attorney trilogy. That combined with one or two other games has my 4g card feeling very low

Dumb question as i don't have my instruction booklet anymore, i put away my 3ds xl some time ago only to find it again recently, but can you get rid of most the icons on the main screen?
It irks me having to scroll past the miiverse or whatever crap comes preloaded

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Okay thanks for the heads up I'll grab 32g. In a fit of drinking grabbed monster Hunter generations and ace attorney trilogy. That combined with one or two other games has my 4g card feeling very low

Dumb question as i don't have my instruction booklet anymore, i put away my 3ds xl some time ago only to find it again recently, but can you get rid of most the icons on the main screen?

Some of the icons you can't get rid of, but you can certainly make a folder and shove everything you don't want to look at in there.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

You can't get rid of the built-in apps, just put them all in a folder so they only take up one tile.

e;fb

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Thanks again that makes sense

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

You might want to install Badge Arcade, purely so that you can slowly earn some icons to mark your folders with.
But don't give that rabbit a cent of real money.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

SelenicMartian posted:

You might want to install Badge Arcade, purely so that you can slowly earn some icons to mark your folders with.
But don't give that rabbit a cent of real money.

Monster Hunter dung symbol or Donkey Kong barrel fire are both good folder icons for things you hate.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

codenameFANGIO posted:

Monster Hunter dung symbol or Donkey Kong barrel fire are both good folder icons for things you hate.

Why would you have stuff you hate on your 3DS?

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

codenameFANGIO posted:

This is a thing?
Yup gonna make this happen

Worth getting Mario kart 7 still? Ie good community, others to race against, blah blah blah. Missing drinking games to Mario kart 64

Edit: grabbing Mario golf world tour today too
Ugh so many games i maybe want

Tiny Chalupa fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 31, 2016

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Tiny Chalupa posted:

how loving dare you

You can change the size of the icons so that its not a single row, and as others have mentioned you can dump some stuff in a folder. You can drag that folder off to a far-flung corner then so you never even need to look at it.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I managed to tip a glass of water onto my N3DS last night. I removed both faceplates and the battery, then wrapped it in a paper towel and surrounded it with rice. How long should I wait for this thing to dry out? How resilient is the 3DS to this kind of abuse?

And does Nintendo make use of that water-sensitive tape that changes colors? I'm curious if I've basically voided my warranty.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The rice doesn't do anything and you should wait, at a minimum, two days before you try to turn it on.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Buy silica gel beads instead of rice.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

IAmKale posted:

I managed to tip a glass of water onto my N3DS last night. I removed both faceplates and the battery, then wrapped it in a paper towel and surrounded it with rice. How long should I wait for this thing to dry out? How resilient is the 3DS to this kind of abuse?

And does Nintendo make use of that water-sensitive tape that changes colors? I'm curious if I've basically voided my warranty.

Did you get water into the 3ds? Was it open? Closed?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Best bet is to wait for a fan translation.

Looks like we won't have to wait as long as I thought. A fan translation for the demo was released today and it looks like they're translating the full game at a steady pace.

http://forums.court-records.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=32422

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Is Kirby Super Star Ultra the best kissing game on the platform?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

IAmKale posted:

Wait a few days. And yeah, silica gel packets instead of rice. When I spilled water on mine I went to Target and raided their backpack and luggage section for a bunch :v:

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

She's hackin' and wackin' and smackin'
She just hacks, wacks, chopping that meat

https://youtu.be/1fsPHrBtzAw

This looks interesting, especially if we won't be getting anymore Rune Factory games.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Looks like we won't have to wait as long as I thought. A fan translation for the demo was released today and it looks like they're translating the full game at a steady pace.

http://forums.court-records.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=32422

If those are the same folks who did the Fire Emblem Fates translation, then beware. Those folks said they were going for a 100% literal translation with no localization at all. I'd rather have no translation at all than crap like that.

If these are different folks, then disregard.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Silver Falcon posted:

If those are the same folks who did the Fire Emblem Fates translation, then beware. Those folks said they were going for a 100% literal translation with no localization at all. I'd rather have no translation at all than crap like that.

If these are different folks, then disregard.

Have you seen anything about Tomato's machine translation of FF4? It's gold.

http://legendsoflocalization.com/funky-fantasy-iv/

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
How does Rune Factory 4 compare to Stardew Valley for those that have played both? I really like Stardew.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Stardew Valley has an infinite amount of things you can do ranging from growing chickens to slaughter them to fighting slime in dungeons. Rune Factory is cute.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

How does Rune Factory 4 compare to Stardew Valley for those that have played both? I really like Stardew.

Having played 60 hours of Stardew Valley and like 5 hours of RF4 since getting it for Christmas, here are my comparisons.

SV characters are more interesting and less "anime" than RF4's.

RF4 has more of an RPG-style story, adding to its anime-ness. SV lacks a story beyond the basic premise and is more a la carte in how you play. RF4 actually tells you to go to quest locations and accomplish tasks.

Farming in SV is more front-and-center, at least from the beginning. RF4 is an action RPG with farming attached, while SV is a farming game with combat attached.

RF4's combat is more quick, fun, and deadly, with a much greater weapon variety and there are also spells and abilities. SV has a lot of weapons, but they feel the same. SV's weapons have abilities, but they aren't as impactful as those in RF4 and SV has no magic system. I've died maybe twice in my 60 hours with Stardew, while in RF4 the second boss killed me a good handful of times. Stardew has no boss fights.

RF4's world seems much larger. SV's initial farming real estate seems larger. All of your farming space in SV is provided at the start of the game, while in RF4 you're given a little at the start and find more spread around the world as you go.

RF4 has the Prince system and all of the stuff that comes with it, like upgrading shops and enacting town events, etc. Nothing like that in SV, which has its own mayor and town events that happen naturally.

Music is good in both games in my opinion! And both are very fun and scratch the Harvest Moon itch. SV was much more addicting and provided longer game sessions for me, though I haven't gotten far in RF4 yet. RF4 has more mechanics to learn about which takes up much of the start of the game.

Fun Times! fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 2, 2017

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
you can mod anime into stardew valley so it's actually the best of both worlds!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Phone posted:

Have you seen anything about Tomato's machine translation of FF4? It's gold.

http://legendsoflocalization.com/funky-fantasy-iv/
This is amazing

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Fun Times! posted:

SV characters are more interesting and less "anime" than RF4's.

FWIW, while I like SV's characters a lot, RF4's characters are like a 100x more fleshed out. You can talk to every townsperson every day and get almost through the entire year without seeing a repeat line of dialogue. The relationship poo poo is also a lot better, you can go on actual dates with your fantasy waifu/husbando instead of just giving them a bouquet and getting one generic line of dialogue.

The rest of your comparison is good though!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

If you can stand RF4's artstyle then its amazing must play game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
US dudes, Meijers is apparently doing half-off a lot of newer games in-store, including Kirby Planet Robobot, Yokai Watch 2 and Pokemon OR/AS.

Also, Codename STEAM for $10. Why not? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/code-name-s-t-e-a-m-nintendo-3ds/7502013.p?skuId=7502013

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bottom Liner posted:

It depends on what you want out of the game. Stardew is the better farming/animal crossing sim while RF4 is a much better real-time RPG. Stardew is fairly loose and pictographic with the data presentation, RF4 is very information-dense with plenty of things to gain micro-levels in and increase your stats with.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Also you can be gay in Stardew Valley but not in Rune Factory afaik.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Also you can be gay in Stardew Valley but not in Rune Factory afaik.

Yeah. You can change your character model to the other gender in the postgame, but no explicit homosexuality in Rune Factory.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.
So my 3ds has just decided that instead of powering on, it won't. I power it on and the blue light comes on, the wifi light comes on, and it starts playing my Monster Hunter themed home screen music, but there's nothing displaying on either screen.

I've removed the game card in there and re-inserted it, as well as powering it on/off a few times, and nothing. I can't do a system update - it will load that up fine, it just can't update because my system is already updated.

Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Call Nintendo.