Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

PleasingFungus posted:

Which is why I posted about it!
Which is why I know that you know that I know that you know that I know where the poison is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
You kids quit fighting and kiss already!

that's what webcomics are all about

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

PMush Perfect posted:

That is, of course, assuming that the phrase "Did you hear about Donald Trump" won't be a phrase entirely without meaning any more by 2019, just from sheer oversaturation.

Also, smoking radioactive craters can't talk.

Are you serious? That guy is going to make a new cabinet position specifically for the purpose of keeping him on the front page every single day.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Did you hear about Donald Trump only requires there be something new and probably terrible to hear about him. I think he will manage that

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Even after he's dead and in the ground he'll find a way to keep making headlines.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So on the LSE Kickstarter front the last goal (donating copies to US Libraries) will be a rolling goal which means for every $1000 over the goal they make they'll add an extra copy to the donation lot ( which at just shy of $33k just now means another 8 copies are going to be added) and Mary is figuring out the logistics in terms of expanding the limited tiers (commissions and original strips) with a noted goal of not embugering the fulfilment as a result.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I really appreciate that off-brand goblin Santa Claus is mindful of the margin of error when it comes to statistically determined Goodness.

Also d'awww :3:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Captain Oblivious posted:

I really appreciate that off-brand goblin Santa Claus is mindful of the margin of error when it comes to statistically determined Goodness.

Also d'awww :3:

Let's face it, odds are good that they'll just get sent back to Hell because they didn't specify where 'home' is. but right now it is :kimchi:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Yvonmukluk posted:

Let's face it, odds are good that they'll just get sent back to Hell because they didn't specify where 'home' is. but right now it is :kimchi:

The thought did cross my mind.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Yvonmukluk posted:

A mysterious backyard in Tackleford is probably a step up from Hell but you can never be too sure.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

howe_sam posted:

A mysterious backyard in Tackleford is probably a step up from Hell but you can never be too sure.

Gotta be Shelley's, right?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Esther's, and she's home for the holidays.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Esther's for maximum awkwardness. Bad Machinery is a few years ahead of Giant Days, right?

^^:argh:

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I feel like they can't (shouldn't) run into anyone featured prominently in Bad Machinery or Giant Days, because both of those series are slightly more grounded than "a couple of acquaintances who'd lived reasonably far into their adult lives suddenly reincarnate as their teenage selves after years spent as demons". Emotionally grounded, I mean.

(Alright fine, I just liked the way both these characters grew as adults and it feels weird to me to have them suddenly be teenagers again. The Boy was a good character, but made better for how adult Eustace Boyce fell apart and then gradually started to figure his poo poo out. Erin was usually either ignored or a mess of supernatural shenanigans, but I liked the version of her that was just a reporter who drove a lovely car and was fed up with bullshit and thin on patience.)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't really know where you're getting this "turned into teenagers" angle from, Boycey looked about the same before he became a hellhorse (although he did very briefly grow a beard before he died) while he looked a little different as a teenager, and Erin's still the same proportion, just having her hair long as queen of Hell left her hair long after she got booted out.

If they were actually physically teenagers, what would the implications be anyways? Would they have to go back to school? Would Mildred's crush all of a sudden become more viable?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
today's girl genius features a new character who i'm honestly hoping is lola in disguise. the story is a lot more fun when she's around.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
That pretty much does look like Zola's head, which is a different shape from most other characters.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

We'd better loving not be doing that plotline again.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Yeah I was pretty much assuming it was Pinky. Last we saw her she was pulling a Team Rocket out of Castle Heterodyne, so it could easily be her.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

And here I was expecting it'd be the robot Lucrezia.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Man I always forget how weird girl genius is.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I'm getting sort of caught up on Giant Days thanks to the current sale at Comixology, and issue 13 (the appropriately numbered return to Tackleford) was a real treat. Big Lyndsay! Paul Milford! Carrot! Sarah Grote! Eustace! Sarah Grote and Eustace pashing!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

aaaaaaa why isn't volume 4 out for another two months

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Pavlov posted:

Man I always forget how weird girl genius is.

That's a shame. Its stalwart dedication to taking "a world wall to wall with vaudeville villains and mad science" to the logical extreme is its greatest strength.

Someone remind me, isn't Zola a Lucrezia now? Did she do some sort of mental judo pin on the brainwashing?

I can't recall, and rereading the castle arc fills me with primal dread is something I don't have time for today.

e:

ZearothK posted:

Esther's for maximum awkwardness. Bad Machinery is a few years ahead of Giant Days, right?

^^:argh:

Closer to a decade, I think. Giant Days is Esther's early uni experience, but in Bad Machinery Eustace had been out of uni long enough to get fat and become a failed adult.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Autonomous Monster posted:

Closer to a decade, I think. Giant Days is Esther's early uni experience, but in Bad Machinery Eustace had been out of uni long enough to get fat and become a failed adult.

I don't think he had to wait until after uni to get fat.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Autonomous Monster posted:

Someone remind me, isn't Zola a Lucrezia now? Did she do some sort of mental judo pin on the brainwashing?

I can't recall, and rereading the castle arc fills me with primal dread is something I don't have time for today.

Zola's group knew about Lucrezia's brain-stealing abilities, and had a decade or so to ponder about them. So they came up with a technique or technology or something that lets Zola block it. So now she's in an extremely advantageous position:

- She's still in control of herself.
- She remembers all the Lucrezia memories that were forced into her, giving her insight into a bunch of circuitous plans and schemes.
- The rest of the Lucrezias think she's one of them (because she has Lucrezia memories and knows all the proper codewords and stuff), giving her access to their resources.

Seems like she's trying the exact same 'dominate with a velvet fist' scheme as when she attempted to impersonate the Heterodyne Heir, but this time she's got a bunch of agents prepositioned thanks to Slaver Wasps.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I honestly think the best way Girl Genius could go would be for all the insane people in this world to hijack every one of the Other's crazy schemes and leave it with nothing.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

At least they'll beat 8-beat theater for longest setup when they show Agatha using that time window machine.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

As fate would have it, Lucrezia was an excellent crazy person wrangler. She even wrangled the craziest of all the crazies, the ones who somehow forged a peace out of the chaos, the Heterodyne boys. Although the Storm King returning might throw a monkey wrench with the Knights of Jove.

She doesn't even have to deal with the worst parts of wrangling crazy people like Baron Wulfenbach does.

stab stabby
Mar 23, 2009
In Girl Genius, isn't this entrance kind of similar to that thing the traveling performer group did to rescue Agatha? I mean, it's kind of a convenient time to suddenly introduce a powerful figure that we've never heard of before, right?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
She's been mentioned before as "someone who is almost certainly Lucrezia in a new alias."

stab stabby
Mar 23, 2009
Ah, my bad. Clearly, I can't keep up. I like the idea of the traveling circus coming back though :(

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I do miss the whole metatextual bit they had going there.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I don't know how you can tell how anyone is disguised in girl genius when the entire world is composed of semi-fluid ooze people that struggle to maintain a solid shape moreover a consistent facial structure

Unrelated, it's nice that someone in Blindsprings finally met a spirit that's not an entirely self-serving dick:

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Unrelated, it's nice that someone in Blindsprings finally met a spirit that's not an entirely self-serving dick:
What a wierd and interesting exchange- i think i like it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Mildred Havisham has realised she made an error.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

The tiny cramped panels suck.

I remember being interested by this comic until it turned out that it was one of those needlessly complex ~*world-building*~ deals.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Not really sure how world building is a bad thing but ok.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

it's plenty bad when instead of using incidental detail in service of the plot and making the characters seem real the author gets obsessed with fully describing the economics of catgirl piss in a made-up universe and you're stuck reading the piss Homestuck and regretting every minute of your wasted life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The tiny cramped panels suck.

I remember being interested by this comic until it turned out that it was one of those needlessly complex ~*world-building*~ deals.

The worldbuilding isn't that complex, but it's definitely poorly-communicated at times. I had to re-read the comic a few times to figure out what the hell happened in the early pages because the dialog was disjointed and in a few places had bad typos that made it easy to misread. I'm also pretty sure she does small panels to avoid having to make too much background details because any time she does do wide panels she complains in the comments about how long drawing the background took her. I"m still interested to see where the story goes at this point, but who knows?

e-

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

it's plenty bad when instead of using incidental detail in service of the plot and making the characters seem real the author gets obsessed with fully describing the economics of catgirl piss in a made-up universe and you're stuck reading the piss Homestuck and regretting every minute of your wasted life

I agree with that but Blindsprings takes the opposite approach re: worldbuilding. There's obviously a lot of detail there but it's not expounded on in massive digressions the way homestuck or even something like Unsounded does. It can make things a little confusing in its own way though. Like one of the characters is genderqueer/gender neutral and everyone refers to them using they/them pronouns, and they haven't explictly said why in the comic yet (and maybe never will). But the first time I read the other characters talking about them, the pronoun usage really threw me off. Now, that might be the time to put that info in the cast page, only the cast page for this comic is still a placeholder. And that's especially weird when functional cast entries for each character have been uploaded to the comic's archive as filler pages when the author couldn't get an update out in a timely manner. This includes one for the character in question which notes they identifies as "Duine". It doesn't actually explain what that means within the context of the comic, ofc, but it's probably related to the pronoun use.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 2, 2017

• Locked thread