Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

jokes posted:

You're talking about a blower card?

Evga 1070 SC

edit: i think the card is as cool as it is because of my front 140 mm fan blowing over it

AEMINAL fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
My next conclusion on my system instability woes--and you notice I don't call it a "final conclusion"--is that this video card really can't keep up. After the power supply and motherboard changes, my old GeForce 660Ti works fine. This Sapphire Radeon RX480 is no-go under any voltage/power/frequency changes. What did make it stable is reducing the PCI-e configuration from 3rd-generation to 2nd-generation. I think it really does come down to the interface between the card, the riser, and the motherboard. It is quite possible that the previous motherboard couldn't handle it too, but the new one did work better. I'm now seeing all the complaints about overvolting with the RX 480. I can't request a refund from NewEgg anymore--just a replacement--so I'll see if another one actually makes it any better.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
Just started getting parts for my first SFF build. Got the Maximus VIII Impact and it's almost quaint how small the motherboard is. That and the Corsair SF450. They're adorable.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Raijintek has a new ITX case that seems to be decently ITX sized.

Whether the layout is actually any good remains to be seen.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Raijintek has a new ITX case that seems to be decently ITX sized.

Whether the layout is actually any good remains to be seen.

They called it Metis? Oh dear. I guess outside of SA the name doesn't mean as much.

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

Lungboy posted:

They called it Metis? Oh dear. I guess outside of SA the name doesn't mean as much.

Metis makes it easy to swap components back and forth

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

The old Metis was a sweet case that was fatally flawed by having no ventilation for the video card. This case should be pretty popular since it's very cheap, small and supports a 120mm radiator.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Lungboy posted:

The smiley doesn't seem to exist anymore... even SA has forgotten...

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10947/zotac-announces-geforce-gtx-1080-for-miniitx-pcs

Well hopefully this is awesome. I kind of want to jam this into an S4 Mini.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

My next conclusion on my system instability woes--and you notice I don't call it a "final conclusion"--is that this video card really can't keep up. After the power supply and motherboard changes, my old GeForce 660Ti works fine. This Sapphire Radeon RX480 is no-go under any voltage/power/frequency changes. What did make it stable is reducing the PCI-e configuration from 3rd-generation to 2nd-generation. I think it really does come down to the interface between the card, the riser, and the motherboard. It is quite possible that the previous motherboard couldn't handle it too, but the new one did work better. I'm now seeing all the complaints about overvolting with the RX 480. I can't request a refund from NewEgg anymore--just a replacement--so I'll see if another one actually makes it any better.
Have you tried running the RX 480 directly attached to the mobo with no risers or extenders? (Pull the mobo out of the case if needed) If that works, look at getting a shielded riser cable like the HDPlex one. Sounds like an improperly shielded cable to me.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I just went through the same bullshit with a XFX RX 480 with a Seasonic 530w that should have been able to run the thing. Ended up sending that card back to Newegg (newegg sucks now). Ended up having to purchase an EVGA 700w PSU with a single 12v rail. The XFX card was unreal loud at load and I couldn't stand it regardless of the blackscreen unstability issues. Got the ASUS ROG STRIX RX 480 and this one is far far better. Quiet at any load. But more interestingly comes with an 8 pin power connector instead of a 6pin like everything else. I am stable at this point but the power requirements are NOT ~150w like reviews say. More like 300 in my estimation.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

VulgarandStupid posted:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10947/zotac-announces-geforce-gtx-1080-for-miniitx-pcs

That is hot, it even has a backplate so you wouldn't need the insulating tape that someone here took exception to. I might snag that for my S4 mini whenever I get it, assuming AMD doesn't geta 490 out by then.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

That is hot, it even has a backplate so you wouldn't need the insulating tape that someone here took exception to. I might snag that for my S4 mini whenever I get it, assuming AMD doesn't geta 490 out by then.

Just checked the KillAWatt on my system since I switched to a 1080 from a 980Ti. With my 5775C (65W) and EVGA ACX3.0 1080, I'm maxing at 280W while playing BF1.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Ceros_X posted:

Have you tried running the RX 480 directly attached to the mobo with no risers or extenders? (Pull the mobo out of the case if needed) If that works, look at getting a shielded riser cable like the HDPlex one. Sounds like an improperly shielded cable to me.

The RX480 was stable directly-connected. The Silverstone riser isn't even cable; it's actually two little boards with a little bit electronics to help condition it--as far as I can tell. I had two sets of them I couldn't finagle a working combination. I ended up sending the video card back after switching to a different motherboard and a stronger power supply. Unfortunately, I could only get a replacement, not a refund, so I might be back at square one.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

VulgarandStupid posted:

Good on them, hope more follow.

It's something I've mused about around here before but I still wonder how good blower-style cooler could be made if someone really wanted to have a go at it.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Good on them, hope more follow.

It's something I've mused about around here before but I still wonder how good blower-style cooler could be made if someone really wanted to have a go at it.

Zero VGS posted:

Ugh, I just did some digging. According to Zotac's website, the 1070 Mini (and probably the 1080 Mini) is 210mm long, while the length of an ITX motherboard is 170mm. So that cooler extends 4cm longer than the board. I can't tell if that will fit in the S4 mini.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
What's the default replacement for the Intel stock cooler in a SFF Mini-ITX PC?

Looking for something cheap which will cool an ancient 73W i3 that's being repurposed to run some kind of Linux on my TV.

Something like this would do. Emphasis on quietness, rather than performance:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

VulgarandStupid posted:

Just checked the KillAWatt on my system since I switched to a 1080 from a 980Ti. With my 5775C (65W) and EVGA ACX3.0 1080, I'm maxing at 280W while playing BF1.

Do you know what wattage you were pulling back on your 980ti?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Coredump posted:

Do you know what wattage you were pulling back on your 980ti?

About 350W playing Dark Souls 3.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I'm looking to put together some custom cables for my SX600-G so as to eliminate a bunch of ugly useless cabling from my Ncase M1 and maybe even get some airflow. Are there any good resources on how to do this without destroying my computer and burning down my house?

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
If any of you have old parts you want to repurpose into a low power SFF system, there's a liquidator on eBay right now clearing out a few hundred Intel DH61AG and DQ77KB thin mini ITX boards. I was able to knock off $10 using make an offer but YMMV.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

I'm in the process of gathering parts for a new NAS/VM host build. It will likely be an i5 6500, in a Fractal Node 304 case, with at least 5x HDD + an SSD.

Whilst I've found a few mITX motherboards which have 6x SATA ports (e.g. the ASRock C236 WSI or Gigabyte GA-B150N-GSM), the prices are high and the selection is limited. Would I be better off getting a motherboard with less built-in SATA ports, and then buy a separate SATA controller card?

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Zartans Lady Mask posted:

I'm in the process of gathering parts for a new NAS/VM host build. It will likely be an i5 6500, in a Fractal Node 304 case, with at least 5x HDD + an SSD.

Whilst I've found a few mITX motherboards which have 6x SATA ports (e.g. the ASRock C236 WSI or Gigabyte GA-B150N-GSM), the prices are high and the selection is limited. Would I be better off getting a motherboard with less built-in SATA ports, and then buy a separate SATA controller card?

ASRock's upcoming Z270M-ITX/ac will have six SATA ports and a m.2 socket for an SSD.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Zartans Lady Mask posted:

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5552#sp

6x SATA + 1x M.2 connectors. $114 on Newegg. It's even a dual-LAN model, which might be useful for a file server.

I don't think cheap mobo + PCI-E SATA controller is going to save you much money, at least not enough to be worth the hassle.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 2, 2017

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

NihilCredo posted:

6x SATA + 1x M.2 connectors. $114 on Newegg. It's even a dual-LAN model, which might be useful for a file server.

I don't think cheap mobo + PCI-E SATA controller is going to save you much money, at least not enough to be worth the hassle.
I have that board, one thing to keep in mind is the orientation of the SATA ports. Most are on the edge facing sideways (parallel to the board), so if things are tight in front that might be an issue, like if the drives are placed right there. In my Ncase the PSU is right up against the ports so they're useless.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

japtor posted:

I have that board, one thing to keep in mind is the orientation of the SATA ports. Most are on the edge facing sideways (parallel to the board), so if things are tight in front that might be an issue, like if the drives are placed right there. In my Ncase the PSU is right up against the ports so they're useless.

Good point. Judging by pictures of a Node 304, assuming he gets a full-size PSU, it would be a really tight fit. Angled cables could help but may not be enough. On the other side, if he gets a SFX power supply, then he'd have plenty of space.

I can say I have the ASRock Z170 Gaming which actually does have 6 perpendicular SATA ports (plus M.2), but it's a little more expensive and would be a bit of a waste for a NAS.

Edit: by sheer coincidence the picture I linked features another 6-perpendicular-port mobo :v:. The article doesn't say what it is, but it's a 1155 DDR3 model apparently made by Zotac - didn't even know they made mobos.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 2, 2017

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

For an SFX PSU you'd want to make sure you'd have enough to support 6 drives. The Corsair models have 4 SATA plugs on a chain so you'd need two (only comes with 1), which is all of the available connections for the peripheral/SATA. If you're using the default fan controller in a Node 304 you don't have a molex connector left on the PSU. I suppose you could run a fan controller off a SATA connection but more expense there.

I'd go with a smaller 140mm ATX supply.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Dr Cheeto posted:

I'm looking to put together some custom cables for my SX600-G so as to eliminate a bunch of ugly useless cabling from my Ncase M1 and maybe even get some airflow. Are there any good resources on how to do this without destroying my computer and burning down my house?

CableMod?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I was looking to do it myself but that looks like a great option as well.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Dr Cheeto posted:

I was looking to do it myself but that looks like a great option as well.

Well, in that case, just searching for "DIY cable sleeving" will get you a bunch of hits, including instructions. You can buy the supplies from places like this, for example:

https://mainframecustom.com/product-category/cable-sleeving/

(Disclaimer: I've not used that site in particular, so cannot vouch for them.)

You can save a fair bit of money compared to using cablemod (assuming you don't value your free time), and can get the exact length (IIRC cablemod does things in 5cm increments).

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

big time bisexual posted:

ASRock's upcoming Z270M-ITX/ac will have six SATA ports and a m.2 socket for an SSD.

NihilCredo posted:

Thanks for the help guys, and for the info re: PSU/motherboard spacing - this has been very useful!

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

The RX480 was stable directly-connected. The Silverstone riser isn't even cable; it's actually two little boards with a little bit electronics to help condition it--as far as I can tell. I had two sets of them I couldn't finagle a working combination. I ended up sending the video card back after switching to a different motherboard and a stronger power supply. Unfortunately, I could only get a replacement, not a refund, so I might be back at square one.

Risers / cables are super sensitive to cross talk - I'm going to blame the the riser. I would suggest looking at HDPlex's silicone PCI-E 3.0 cable, or if that is not long enough I am using a cable from a Taiwanese company called LiHeat. Both of them are shielded and very well recommend.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Ceros_X posted:

Risers / cables are super sensitive to cross talk - I'm going to blame the the riser. I would suggest looking at HDPlex's silicone PCI-E 3.0 cable, or if that is not long enough I am using a cable from a Taiwanese company called LiHeat. Both of them are shielded and very well recommend.

I really only need, like, 2 inches of cable. I imagine that the shorter the cable, the less risk of any cross-talk at all.

They're just this. One takes it 90 degrees and the other extends it.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

The Sentry will be starting its indiegogo soon, in about 6 days. I'm interested to see the price they are asking, previously they said it should be about $210.

The Dan Case A4-SFX should be shipping soon from the Kickstarter, and supposedly overclockers.co.uk should be selling some extras, once the Kickstarter one's ship.

Also, CES is going on now. I'm really hoping we see a Z270 ITX mobo that has two m.2 slots on it.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

VulgarandStupid posted:

Also, CES is going on now. I'm really hoping we see a Z270 ITX mobo that has two m.2 slots on it.

Asus' newly announced Strix Z270I Gaming claims to have just that.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
Speaking of unique features, the new crop of Z270 boards finally brought out a mini-ITX board with Thunderbolt 3: the unfortunately Fatal1ty branded ASRock Z270 Gaming-ITX/ac. Gigabyte's previous GA-Z170N Gaming 5 also had Alpine Ridge on board but they never had it certified for use with Thunderbolt for some reason, just USB 3.1 Gen 2.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

big time bisexual posted:

Speaking of unique features, the new crop of Z270 boards finally brought out a mini-ITX board with Thunderbolt 3: the unfortunately Fatal1ty branded ASRock Z270 Gaming-ITX/ac. Gigabyte's previous GA-Z170N Gaming 5 also had Alpine Ridge on board but they never had it certified for use with Thunderbolt for some reason, just USB 3.1 Gen 2.

I got confused by it before, but Fatality in the case refers to a low latency mouse port, not the lovely brand of NIC (killer). The board is a slam dunk.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jan 5, 2017

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.
Why aren't these next gen Mini ITX boards using SODIMMS? Only that one Asrock mobo is doing it. It makes perfect sense.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Lolcano Eruption posted:

Why aren't these next gen Mini ITX boards using SODIMMS? Only that one Asrock mobo is doing it. It makes perfect sense.

They don't really save space and they are slower. Regular sticks are inserted vertically while sodimms lay flat. Also they are limited to 2133.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.
http://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=EPC612D4I#Specifications

This is what Linus used in his Dan Case A4 build. It allows 4 slots of RAM on mini itx, standing up. I've seen sodimms up to 3000MHz.