Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

we got iraq 2005 without even having to invade!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

the paradigm shift posted:

I'm sure the people killed in his torture dungeons believe it would be a worse place without him
It has already fallen apart for fucks sake what do you think a civil war is?

So I guess you have a faction you'd rather empower than Assad?

Stability should be the goal

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I am wondering about something.

Since chambers of commerce are essentially unions/lobbyists for business owners, could a law be passed that allowed all businesses to get the benefits of the chamber but without having to pay to be a member?

It could be called a right to own law and it could similar to a right to work law.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

NewForumSoftware posted:

So I guess you have a faction you'd rather empower than Assad?

Why should I choose who gets empowered? That's up to the people of Syria once they can get some semblance of security. Which won't happen so long as Assad has power.

What the hell do you see as stable in this environment? Assad is not stability. It's mass murder.

the paradigm shift fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Dec 31, 2016

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Why should I choose who gets empowered? That's up to the people of Syria once they can get some semblance of security. Which won't happen so long as Assad has power.

And what if the people of Syria choose Assad?

Or a islamist group like in Egypt?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I am wondering about something.

Since chambers of commerce are essentially unions/lobbyists for business owners, could a law be passed that allowed all businesses to get the benefits of the chamber but without having to pay to be a member?

It could be called a right to own law and it could similar to a right to work law.

do you think only paying members get the benefits of what chambers lobby for

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

remember when the people of palestine chose hamas

lol

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Badger of Basra posted:

remember when the people of palestine chose hamas

pepperidge farm remembers

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

NewForumSoftware posted:

And what if the people of Syria choose Assad?

Or a islamist group like in Egypt?

Ok? This doesn't change that stability starts with Assad gone. Obviously they won't choose him or this war would be over.
Islaaaaaaamiiiiiistssss hisses the westerner

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Because America wanted this.

This. Our president is a legit anime villain.

In other news, visiting family for the holidays, Fox news was on. Not my choice. There's a Russian apologist on saying something to the effect of, "if Russia really wanted to mess with or election, is this the best they could do? So obviously it's all lies made up by sore loser liberals." No one called him on his bs, the just accepted it.

:psyduck:

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Badger of Basra posted:

do you think only paying members get the benefits of what chambers lobby for

No, but that is in the same manner that non-union workers (or just workers in general) benefit from union negotiations since it can help boost wages and benefits for all.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Ok? This doesn't change that stability starts with Assad gone. Obviously they won't choose him or this war would be over.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/13/world/middleeast/syria-aleppo-civilians.html

Islaaaaaaamiiiiiistssss hisses the westerner

The Egyptian military seems to agree

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

No, but that is in the same manner that non-union workers (or just workers in general) benefit from union negotiations since it can help boost wages and benefits for all.

exactly, so the thing you just posted about already exists

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Can't read times articles until tomorrow but I think that's the one saying the civil war is over now that they captured Aleppo. Did you not see the protests already going on waving the rebellion flags?

We'll see about Egypt in another year because their stability is very much surface deep right now.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Can't read times articles until tomorrow but I think that's the one saying the civil war is over now that they captured Aleppo. Did you not see the protests already going on waving the rebellion flags?

So your claim is as long as there are protests Assad's rule isn't legitimate. What a strange place to put your bar for approval.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

NewForumSoftware posted:

So your claim is as long as there are protests Assad's rule isn't legitimate. What a strange place to put your bar for approval.

No my claim is that if Assad was palatable to a wide portion of the Syrian people he wouldn't have needed to starve and bomb his people into submission.

Why are you defending a mass murdering dictator?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

NewForumSoftware posted:

Stability should be the goal
That's not a great argument for Assad considering the civil war happened on his watch.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

No my claim is that if Assad was palatable to a wide portion of the Syrian people he wouldn't have needed to starve and bomb his people into submission.

Why are you defending a mass murdering dictator?

Because Syrians would be suffering less if we had just swallowed our own pride and kept him in power until ISIS(again, an American creation) was no longer bordering them instead of pretending like human rights violations give us the right to back our own human rights violators.

Alhazred posted:

That's not a great argument for Assad considering the civil war happened on his watch.

It's the best of the collection of bad options unfortunately.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

NewForumSoftware posted:

Because the Syrians have now forgiven Assad and promised to never ever raise up in arms against him?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Alhazred posted:

Guess the South shall rise again for stability's sake.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Alhazred posted:

Because the Syrians have now forgiven Assad and promised to never ever raise up in arms against him?

If you have a better idea, please share. The world would like to hear it.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Simultaneously attacking the american foreign policy consensus and supporting Kissinger's idea of legitimate stability

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

What the hell do you see as stable in this environment? Assad is not stability. It's mass murder.

Again though, in Iraq, after we killed the scummy torturing monster the whole place fell apart and all of King George's men could not put it back together again.

The huge civilian body count, the loss of basic services, propose a way that won't happen again.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

NewForumSoftware posted:

Because Syrians would be suffering less if we had just swallowed our own pride and kept him in power until ISIS(again, an American creation) was no longer bordering them instead of pretending like human rights violations give us the right to back our own human rights violators.

What support do you see us as having provided to any group attempting to topple Assad? As far as I can tell we've done everything we can to keep Assad in power by not helping the groups interested in regime change. instead supporting those willing to collaborate with Assad for scraps like the YPG

Why do you think the man willing to rule over a pile of skulls is better than anyone else involved? He isn't

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Dubya's revenge on Saddam involved the deaths of millions.

Little kids gone kaput without ever a chance to reflect on their political reality.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

What support do you see us as having provided to any group attempting to topple Assad?

lol

quote:

As far as I can tell we've done everything we can to keep Assad in power by not helping the groups interested in regime change. instead supporting those willing to collaborate with Assad for scraps like the YPG

Why do you think the man willing to rule over a pile of skulls is better than anyone else involved? He isn't

Alright clearly you're just a bit underinformed on the topic.

https://www.whitehelmets.org/

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

syscall girl posted:

Again though, in Iraq, after we killed the scummy torturing monster the whole place fell apart and all of King George's men could not put it back together again.

The huge civilian body count, the loss of basic services, propose a way that won't happen again.

That's still not a good argument for backing a guy who not only let a civil war happen but escalated it with the use of chemical weapons.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

syscall girl posted:

I mean, it already has is the thing. We're looking at hell on earth and going nah we'd just make it worse. I don't know if that is the case here.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

NewForumSoftware posted:

lol

Alright clearly you're just a bit underinformed on the topic.

https://www.whitehelmets.org/

Get lost Putin bootlicker

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

I mean, it already has is the thing. We're looking at hell on earth and going nah we'd just make it worse. I don't know if that is the case here.

We would make it worse. We have.

Look to RT to show the bombs the US is missing with and Fox News to show the Russian bombs killing innocents.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Get lost Putin bootlicker

I still haven't heard a better idea from you. Do you have a better solution or is just whining about how bad Assad is good enough?

What support do you see us as having provided to any group attempting to topple Assad? As far as I can tell we've done everything we can to keep Assad in power by not helping the groups interested in regime change.

still laughing at this post

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American-led_intervention_in_Syria

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

NewForumSoftware posted:

I like how you're advocating everyone sitting with their thumbs up their rear end years ago all on the basis of hindsight some 5 years later.

"Get me the guy with the floor shitter avatar into the oval office, 5 years from now, stat!"

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

"intervention will work this time guys"

what makes you say that

"i gotta hunch"

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Gin and Juche posted:

I like how you're advocating everyone sitting with their thumbs up their rear end years ago all on the basis of hindsight some 5 years later.

Who could have possibly known intervening in the middle east in the name of Democracy could blow up in our faces?

Are you being ironic?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

NewForumSoftware posted:

Who could have possibly known intervening in the middle east in the name of Democracy could blow up in our faces?

Are you being ironic?

"He's gassing his own people, what do you want to do?"

"Nah let's just see how this plays out."

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
"Five years from now a man with bowel problems will think we're foreign policy geniuses."

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Gin and Juche posted:

"He's gassing his own people, what do you want to do?"

Could always send aid instead of bombs.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

syscall girl posted:

We would make it worse. We have.

Look to RT to show the bombs the US is missing with and Fox News to show the Russian bombs killing innocents.

I don't think anyone is saying we're perfect, but I'd be willing to bet it's a drat sight better than mass graves of the gassed.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

What support do you see us as having provided to any group attempting to topple Assad? As far as I can tell we've done everything we can to keep Assad in power by not helping the groups interested in regime change. instead supporting those willing to collaborate with Assad for scraps like the YPG

Well there was the billion odd dollar cia-led train and equip programme that predated the anti-ISIS intrrvention

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

"intervention will work this time guys"

what makes you say that

"i gotta hunch"

That's not what I was saying either badge. It's already a failed state being propped up through foreign intervention so yeah we really probably couldn't make it worse. I don't relish it either but when we see what the next few years bring we'll probably be as embarrassed as we are about Rwanda now

• Locked thread