Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
It's been going over for at least a year now, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leechboy
Aug 6, 2008
It dissipated, then Matt finally started listening to it, and suddenly he's the one doing references and singing and *gag* rapping.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

LentThem posted:

I fell behind on NNF by about 4 months and am catching up on the backlog, and am astounded that the gang has been jacking off about Hamilton in every single episode during that timespan; it comes up often enough that it feels like a morning zoo segment.

To be fair, a lot of stuff on NNF is like a morning zoo segment, something they acknowledge with some embarrassment.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
I was listening to an old episode of My Brother My Brother and Me and they were reading a letter from someone who had a friend with an alligator phobia, and at some point that friend had been convinced there was a gator outside her window, on the second floor

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
I'm 10 minutes into today's episode and it's already the best episode of all time.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

tnimark posted:

I'm 10 minutes into today's episode and it's already the best episode of all time.

Jimmy: "How many times?"

*Garon thinks hard*

Jimmy: "Oh no!"

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I'm sad(?) that heat that Garon and Jason broke up, but that exchange was terrific. Mind-blown Pardo is always good stuff.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
I still haven't managed to catch up and just finished the Lauren Ash episode

Lauren: "I love doing karaoke - we're had a couple of karaoke nights with the cast and crew"
Matt: *interjecting* "Oh hey Jimmy, did I tell you that there's a place where everyone does Hamilton karaoke???"
<lauren mentions not seeing or caring about Hamilton, Matt admits he's obsessed>
Matt: "Hey Jimmy when we go to break, let's sing some Hamilton songs"

fuuuuuck, Matt. Maybe listening to some Captain Dan Age of Sail gimmick rap would help you get over this before your daughter gets too embarrassed by you

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I don't listen regularly, but I wanted to check out the Scotty Auks episode and boy...Matt sure does tell a really long story about going to see Hamilton

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

xbilkis posted:

I don't listen regularly, but I wanted to check out the Scotty Auks episode and boy...Matt sure does tell a really long story about going to see Hamilton

I check in and out too and it's sort of mind boggling they still talk about it in what seems like every episode. Maybe it's just every ep I listen to?

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Well they made the new season logo a Hamilton/first pitch thing so now that they've made it part of the show Jimmy will completely lose interest in it soon just like Kojak

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

LentThem posted:

fuuuuuck, Matt. Maybe listening to some Captain Dan Age of Sail gimmick rap would help you get over this before your daughter gets too embarrassed by you

I was almost prepared to defend Matt, but it really is reaching embarrassing proportions on the Aukerman ep. It's nice to see someone be enthusiastic about something, but sheesh, take it down a notch. Also, Jimmy already subjected us to never-ending Hamilton talk a loving YEAR AGO.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Matt sounded like a loving 13 year old girl meeting Harry Styles describing how he felt meeting.... the sound guy? Orchestra leader? God, that was embarrassing to listen to and yes it's not just you, they talk about it nearly every episode.

"Hey four-eyes, suck on this!"

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Yeah I love the show but it sucks that JUST as Jimmy was moving past Hamilton, Matt picked it up. Oy

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
So is Hamilton a huge deal outside of Los Angeles-based Podcasts and I guess maybe Broadway? I seriously had no idea what it was until a bunch of podcasts started referencing it, and then a reference in the xmas episode of Brooklyn Nine-Nine (which I imagine the writers overlap with the places I mentioned).

After Matt wouldn't shut up about the soundtrack I tried listening to it because im easily influenced, but I just wasn't feeling it. The lyrics and subject matter make it feel like it should be tongue-in-cheek, but everything is played totally straight outside of like a Bursar Burr Sir reference.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

It didn't occur to me quite how much they went on about Hamilton until I recently got into the McElroy family podcasts. Its probably kind of an unfair comparison since those shows are heavily structured, but they barely ever mention Hamilton. Even when you'd expect them to, because they're apparently best friends with the creator Lin Manuel Miranda.

They've said like four sentences total about the show over hundreds of episodes. And it was stuff like "its really good", "congrats on all the awards" or "he said he was writing a musical about the federalist papers and I said oh uh thats uh cool do you have a backup idea?".

Such a huge contrast to NNF where they talk about it, sing bits from it, and reference lines from it multiple times an hour. And I agree its pretty loving tiresome that Matt got so into it right as Jimmy had gotten bored so that we, the audience, didn't get even a slight break from hearing about it.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

And to balance the negativity, the recent Rhett and Link episode was a huge amount of fun and it was really sweet seeing Oliver get to meet them.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I almost stood up clapping at the joke that went into the plugs break on Cristela's episode today.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

When Matt mentioned Steven Wright and Jimmy made some comment about "ask him about saving lives on 9/11", was he thinking of Steve Rannazzisi? Or is there some weird 9/11 story involving Steven Wright I'm unaware of?

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
Probably talking about Steve Buscemi, who was a New York firefighter before his starting his acting career. He worked with his old crew after 9/11 (and also apparently after Sandy).

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I had a nightmare that Dan Nainan was on the show, but now I kind of want it to happen just to see how it would shake out.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I was looking forward to Diane Franklin, but I'm 10 minutes into her appearance and she's in the running for top 5 worst guests ever. I'm thinking cocaine is involved.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Ha, really? I liked how wildly embarrassed Jimmy got after the first thing he talked about was beating off to her and then couldn't get that out of his head the rest of the show

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Yeah, she's really intense and speedy. I don't have a huge nostalgic connection to her (I was a One Crazy Summer guy), so she just seems mismatched to the vibe and really into plugging her books.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

I think the fact it was a live show affected that too. They have a very different energy than the in-studio eps, and I'm not always a huge fan of the difference.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God

FitFortDanga posted:

I was looking forward to Diane Franklin, but I'm 10 minutes into her appearance and she's in the running for top 5 worst guests ever. I'm thinking cocaine is involved.

Same here. She was great on the podcast I Was There Too but that was a shorter, more focused appearance. I had to turn this one off after 10 minutes. I went back to see if I could skip to when it got good, but it seems like it never did.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Her Sevens performance was so bad it felt intentional.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Not Operator posted:

Her Sevens performance was so bad it felt intentional.

It was a pretty spectacular failure that almost made it worth it to listen to the rest of her time on the episode.

I wonder if Mike Henry will now have to redo the Sevens theme again to make it even MORE clunky and difficult for Matt to explain to guests.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

What a spergy fuckin story from Mike Kaplan about berating a girl on a date

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
UM IT's MYQ

Great Elliot episode tho.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

I reject his dumb spelling

Mst3kmann
Aug 8, 2005

FOREST WHITAKER EYE
Can someone tell Jimmy to stop whining about "Berniebros"? Hillarymen are the worst.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Mst3kmann posted:

Can someone tell Jimmy to stop whining about "Berniebros"? Hillarymen are the worst.

I hope the last thing I hear before the nuclear shock wave tears my body to pieces is two idiots arguing about the dem primary.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Woody Allen as Aaron Burr is the first time I've ever wanted to shut the podcast off HOO BOY

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
That was hilarious. Welcome to wrong!

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Is that a Hamilton thing, still? I retired from listening to NNF after it had been my favorite show from season 2-17. I felt like I'd heard enough by then.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
i like the part where jimmy pretends to be angry at someone
then actually gets angry
then stops being angry but pretends to get angry again

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Boy do I hate that they've told Elliot he can sing because now he's gotta join in EVERY loving TIME someone else starts singing. It's like he thinks he's found his loving "niche" on the show or something. It's almost as bad as the stupid "dootle-oo-doo-doo" Doc Severinsen poo poo he tries to sneak in there when Dirty Carson shows up.

I have a lot of disproportionate anger at Elliot, I guess. He's just such a goddamn goon. I only enjoy him when everyone else is making GBS threads on him. Which he deserves.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

I don't mind him generally but it does drive me nuts where every time he sings he'll do it super seriously and soulfully whereas Jimmy and Matt tend to do it as more of a joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
What do I like the least: Elliot singing when he shouldn't or the gang defering to his milquetoast "truth is in the middle"-rear end lovely political statements? Impossible to say