Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I'm sure the takeaway from this is just "spectacle fighters are not for me," but lord I found Revengeance to be a massive disappointment. Dodge, block, go in for hits, here's some quicktime events that hold all the cool stuff you wish you could be doing, go back to dodge, block, strike.

Games like this in general pale beside the true height of the genre...Bayonetta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
thanks to Fart of Presto for gifting me Old Blood!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Gameko posted:

Games like this in general pale beside the true height of the genre...Bayonetta.
The best Bayonetta is The Wonderful 101.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
What are some good sub $20 gems from this year I may have missed? Mostly looking shorter, narrative based stuff.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

mango sentinel posted:

What are some good sub $20 gems from this year I may have missed? Mostly looking shorter, narrative based stuff.

Dunno about short yet, but I picked up The Silver Case and it's really weird/neat! It's a visual novel/adventure game from the 90s and I'm not even sure how to describe it yet. Have a look!

As for things I can actually rec -

Analogue: A Hate Story. - Visual novel mostly spent reading emails and piecing together the story of how/why this sci-fi generation ship is empty and lootable. It's...quite a sad story, and good! Has a sequel, but I haven't played it and works well on its own.

Blackwell series. A buck for the first one, four dollars for more, not sure how much for the finale. Give 'em a go! They're good-to-decent adventure games from Wadjet.

Hatoful Boyfriend - date pigeons for less than three bucks. Actually has a fairly intriguing plot going on.

Last Door - weird spooky adventure game, 2.49$ for the first one.

Mentioning Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky and Longest Journey, but neither one is short. Both are good though!

Ossuary - explore a surreal place and learn about Discordianism for five bucks!

The Sea Will Claim Everything - not short, REALLY good. If you're not sure about it, play the free sidestory/prequel (kind of!) in your browser.

Waking Mars - has more gameplay, but it's a relatively short metroidvania (kind of) where you help Martian plants grow and try to discover the mysteries of Mars. Is one of the rare games that's well-written, thoughtful, fun to play, and pretty. I really liked it a lot. :3:

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

mango sentinel posted:

ICEY just came out and isn't on sale, but is cheap enough it might as well be. It's a action programmer where you make The Stanley Parable narrator's Chinese cousin angry.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

StrixNebulosa posted:

As for things I can actually rec -

You have good taste, as I already own most of those, but that's why I specified this year :wink:

I love suda and didn't realize that game was localized and on steam. Thanks.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
I'm looking to trade a Watchdogs 2 Standard Edition US Key for something of equivalent value from my wishlist (I'm open to suggestions, though). I actually wanted Watchdogs 2, but I didn't notice it's for US only, since I live in the EU.

Hit me up on Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/KotyDwa/

I know there's a Steam trade thread, but it is a bit of an urgent matter.

Trade made! Thanks!

Blattdorf fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Dec 31, 2016

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

I'm intrigued by Sunless sea , but I don't seem to understand the concept if I just loot at screenshots/trailer or read Steam reviews. Apparently it has great writing (and lots of it) so that's why I'm interested. But what kind of things do you read and why? How is immersion created in the game?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

When I need to find out what a game is like, I generally check the LP archive.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Xander77 posted:

When I need to find out what a game is like, I generally check the LP archive.

Thanks, I can see it clearer now. Think I'll finish the great games on my backlog and take another look at this game during next bigger sale.

Stanley Tweedle
Aug 15, 2001

hey all. if anyone has a coupon for Ori & the Blind Forest that they're willing to part with, hmu http://steamcommunity.com/id/strait_thizzin/

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Any hidden gem I could buy for 3,60 Euros I got from trading cards?

admataY
Oct 16, 2008

Stanley Tweedle posted:

hey all. if anyone has a coupon for Ori & the Blind Forest that they're willing to part with, hmu http://steamcommunity.com/id/strait_thizzin/

I got a coupon for you, accept the invite and i will send it over

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Palpek posted:

Hum, Shadowrun Dragonfall or Orcs Must Die 1 GOTY?

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"
gently caress all y'all for making me reinstall MG:R.

Again.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

SelenicMartian posted:

The worst Bayonetta is The Wonderful 101.

Fixed that for you. ;)

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

OK, I'm probably too late and in the wrong threat but wasn't there also a GoG sale?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Don't ever worry if you think you're not good enough to get Metal Gear Rising. I am the awful player the game was made to still accommodate. I never played a platinum game before so I never knew how to parry until Monsoon, and I went the whole game without buying defensive offense.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

MGR was the first Platinum game I ever played and had zero trouble with parrying because I've played fighting games before. It even has the same input as Guard Impact from the Soul Calibur games.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Okay, narrowed it down to one of:

Stalker: Pripyat/Clear Sky/Chernobyl bundle
Wolfenstein TNO + New Blood
Curious Expedition
Offworld Trading Company
Master of Orion. I loved 1 & 2, didn't care for 3.

Thoughts/suggestions/warnings/opinions?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I almost have enough to get The Witness but I'm a Humble Monthly subscriber and i'm pretty dang sure it will be a headliner of the bundle in 2017 at some point, so I'm getting other games instead. QUBE, Culpa Innata, RYB, Crimson Room Decade for sure. Still leaves me with some money left over though. I'm lookin at these games..

Root
Dead End Road
Projector Face
My Night Job
Factotum 90
Cubixx HD

I'll have to decide on maybe 2-3 of them. Also I realize that maybe listing these games is pointless because no one knows what the gently caress they are but me.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

psychopomp posted:

Okay, narrowed it down to one of:

Stalker: Pripyat/Clear Sky/Chernobyl bundle
Wolfenstein TNO + New Blood
Curious Expedition
Offworld Trading Company
Master of Orion. I loved 1 & 2, didn't care for 3.

Thoughts/suggestions/warnings/opinions?

Personally I would go with Wolfenstien TNO and TOB. Excellent games.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

Palpek posted:

Get Pony Island if you like ponies and islands (who doesn't?).

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Quest For Glory II posted:

I almost have enough to get The Witness but I'm a Humble Monthly subscriber and i'm pretty dang sure it will be a headliner of the bundle in 2017 at some point, so I'm getting other games instead. QUBE, Culpa Innata, RYB, Crimson Room Decade for sure. Still leaves me with some money left over though. I'm lookin at these games..

Root
Dead End Road
Projector Face
My Night Job
Factotum 90
Cubixx HD

I'll have to decide on maybe 2-3 of them. Also I realize that maybe listing these games is pointless because no one knows what the gently caress they are but me.

I have Dead End Road, but I haven't fired it up yet. I'll gvie you a brief trip report in a few hours.

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Aardark posted:

Get Pony Island if you like ponies and islands (who doesn't?).

Everyone should get Pony Island.

I just beat it in one sitting, very fun 2 hour game. Easily worth $1.60.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

Veib posted:

MGR was the first Platinum game I ever played and had zero trouble with parrying because I've played fighting games before. It even has the same input as Guard Impact from the Soul Calibur games.

The thing that made parrying click for me was watching a video where they explained that it works the same way that Kicking does in the Dark Souls games.
(video link for reference; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su4so2PLY7w )

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the award winners were posted. they're exactly what you'd expect the Steam community to vote for

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
HOW THE gently caress DID WITCHER 3 LOSE GAME IN A GAME

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Lareine posted:

HOW THE gently caress DID WITCHER 3 LOSE GAME IN A GAME

Or "Woah, dude". How did GTA win both?

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

The results of these awards are like the Presidential election. I shouldn't be surprised, but I'm still surprised.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

According to the awards the best games on the entire Steam are GTA 5 and Eurotruck Simulator 2. Praise Gaben.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

GTA5 definitely wins the "amount of gifs on reddit" award.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Yeah, awards were exactly what I expected. I don't think I've laughed at how bad something like this was since FTL beat Kentucky Route Zero out on a community vote flash sale.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
So I've played Dead End Road and I think it's a pretty cool game. You have to drive to your destination, but this is made rather difficult because you can barely see where you're going and you're being chased by a demon you inadvertently summoned during a ritual. Lots of cool and unnerving things happen while on the road. There are stops you can make along the way to repair your car, lower your stress levels and do other things.

Definitely play it in the dark. It's not a super scary game, but things get tense as you're trying to survive on the road.

I'll also add that I finally cleared out my wishlist. 2017, here I come!

Skyrim getting the Test of Time award is the silliest thing ever.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Playing Binary Domain and it feels like it's going to turn into Vanquish any minute now. I love how these Japanese developed games always portray Americans as "God, God, God" God speed, God Bless, fighting for God, everything about God.

They ain't that far off.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I'm going to drop my unprompted opinion and say that I don't understand all the hype around GTA5. I put a few hours into it and it felt like the same poo poo that Rockstar's been selling since Vice City. Everything GTA 5 did had been done better by Sleeping Dogs or Saint's Row 3.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So is there anything on this wishlist I should acquire before the sale is out?
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198037512870/wishlist

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Givin posted:

Yeah, awards were exactly what I expected. I don't think I've laughed at how bad something like this was since FTL beat Kentucky Route Zero out on a community vote flash sale.

Wow, I'm not the only one who remembers that! When was it? 2013 Christmas sale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
Did they ever fix Beyond Earth? I found the demo to be pretty bad.

• Locked thread